• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So which hogwarts house dominates NeoGAF?

Which house dominates NeoGAF?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
JK Rowling herself wrote that Slytherin may have that reputation but it's rubbish, and that the other houses had their fair share of evil wizards, too. Most villains in the books are from Slytherin, but she mentions that they brought up a lot of good-willed wizards in that house too.
Slytherin was founded by a murderous bigot and for centuries has been a symbol of pure blood nonsense. In modern times, its alumni included magic Hitler, most members of the magical KKK, and a man who sold out his childhood crush to magic Hitler because she chose someone else. During the Battle of Hogwarts, the Slytherin students were sent to the dungeon because so many of them had parents in the Death Eaters and couldn't be trusted.

The least flawed Slytherin character in the books, Slughorn, is obsessed with forming connections with the magical world's wealthy and famous. Still not someone you'd probably want as a friend.

Haven't seen the Cursed Child, so maybe it actually presents a more positive picture of Slytherin. But the original books certainly don't.

Kater

Banned
Sounds like #NotAllSlytherins
Oh shit haha

Wasn't my intention.

I think a lot of of them are more middle of the road, Neutral, but lean toward Chaos most of the time since you see them breaking school rules a lot. Gryffindor wizards are mostly Good but don't care about rules that much either, sometimes.

Slytherin was founded by a murderous bigot and for centuries has been a symbol of pure blood nonsense. In modern times, its alumni included magic Hitler, most members of the magical KKK, and a man who sold out his childhood crush to magic Hitler because she chose someone else. During the Battle of Hogwarts, the Slytherin students were sent to the dungeon because so many of them had parents in the Death Eaters and couldn't be trusted.

The least flawed Slytherin character in the books, Slughorn, is obsessed with forming connections with the magical world's wealthy and famous.

Haven't seen the Cursed Child, so maybe it actually presents a more positive picture of Slytherin. But the original books certainly don't.
That's true, we don't hear a lot of good wizards that were chosen for Slytherin in their School years. Maybe JKR writes a bit more about them in the future (or has already in the Cursed Child, haven't seen that one either).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
We can talk politics and watch muggle car chases.

Muggle Politics or Wizard Politics?

About the entrance to Hufflepuff. You need to do some complicated rhythm bullshit to unlock the entrance and then human wizards need to crawl through barrels to get to the Hufflepuff common room. I'm a dog so I can just walk, but I feel bad for you humans. Also how do you get anything into the dorms?

I'm convinced that the Hufflepuff common room and dormitory have never been seen by outsiders because there is free love Caligula going on inside.

Elandyll

Banned
JK Rowling herself wrote that Slytherin may have that reputation but it's rubbish, and that the other houses had their fair share of evil wizards, too. Most villains in the books are from Slytherin, but she mentions that they brought up a lot of good-willed wizards in that house too.
Oh that's certainly not something we would apply to all, after all even the hat says one could actually fit in several houses, Harry being a potential fit for both Slytherin and Gryffindor.
It's more imo of a "potential average", given that the core attributes seem to be

Ravenclaw: Intellect
Gryffindor: Courage
Slytherin: Ambition
Hufflepuff: Nice / Caring

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh that's certainly not something we would apply to all, after all even the hat says one could actually fit in several houses, Harry being a potential fit for both Slytherin and Gryffindor.
It's more imo of a "potential average", given that the core attributes seem to be

Ravenclaw: Intellect
Gryffindor: Courage
Slytherin: Ambition
Hufflepuff: Nice / Caring

Hufflepuff's main characteristic is Loyalty.

The least flawed Slytherin character in the books, Slughorn, is obsessed with forming connections with the magical world's wealthy and famous. Still not someone you'd probably want as a friend.

Regulus Black and Severus Snape aren't evil either (although I still think Snape was a dick). If you read the Cursed Child you'll probably change your mind about Slytherin.

Kwixotik

Evil in the D&D alignment system pretty much just means self-serving, which is basically Slytherin's core trait.

Toxi

Banned
Regulus Black and Severus Snape aren't evil either (although I still think Snape was a dick). If you read the Cursed Child you'll proabbly change your mind about Slytherin.
Snape sold out an innocent family to Magic Hitler because of a childhood grudge. Regulus joined the Magic KKK.

They had changes of heart later in their life, but that was because of their post-graduation experiences. Everything indicates their noble acts were in spite of, not because of, growing up in Slytherin.

I'd prefer to watch Cursed Child since I heard it works far better as a play than a book, but I believe you when you say I'd probably change my mind.

Beartruck

I was sorted as a Slytherin despite wanting to be a Ravenclaw. To my annoyance, my SO, who is super unstudious, was sorted into Ravenclaw.

I got Thunderbird for the american house though, so at least I've got that going for me.

edit: Wait, I was born in the year of the snake though. Sheeeeit Slytherin's perfect.

Pilgrimzero

I'm Hufflepuff. All we really have is Cedric, who I hear sparkled in the sunlight.

As for Slytherin, the most famous wizard, Merlin, was one.

The coolest character in the Cursed Child is Slyherin. Not really sure why though.

And of course Snape was one. And while an asshole did what was right.

Welfare

Hogwarts House: Gryffindor
Wand: Hazel wood, Unicorn hair core, 14 ½" in length, Unyielding flexibility
Patronus: West Highland Terrier

Ilvermorny House: Thunderbird

Ekai

Hufflepuff and my patronus is a Black Mare. I missed answering one question in time so that may have changed things? Idk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom