• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE trademark H1Z1

Freeman

Banned
so stoked for this, DayZ done right - that's my wish

They have so many great ideas in DayZ, such a strong concept that is so poorly executed(yet it is still very good).

If SOE understands what makes DayZ compelling they can make a great game. I hope they don't cram to many players on the map, DayZ balance in that respect feels just right for the map size.

I saw an IGN article on this this morning: http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/04/09/sony-online-entertainment-revealing-major-project-tonight.

"Currently being referred to as H1Z1, SOE president John Smedley explained via Twitter that "the new game we haven't announced" is set to be revealed tonight replete with gameplay footage at 5pm PT / 8pm ET / 1am GMT. All we have so far is a ghostly teaser site, suggesting the game may be rather spooky."

I'm interested in hearing more.

nero2082

been thinking about what premise it could be as it's definitely a virus epidemic stuff (zombie or not)

- killing infected (players) before they infect you
- becoming infected and trying to spread the disease (that would blow my mind)
- eliminating players with virus symptoms (that would be so mean "he's coughing, kill him")

that genre has super huge potential, it seems like DayZ just scratched the surface really, look what I made up in 3minutes

so hyped for this!

SHADES

They have so many great ideas in DayZ, such a strong concept that is so poorly executed(yet it is still very good).

If SOE understands what makes DayZ compelling they can make a great game. I hope they don't cram to many players on the map, DayZ balance in that respect feels just right for the map size.

Totally this^^^

A DayZ esc clone on PS4 would knock it out of the park! But it has to be literally a DayZ clone with all the looting/survival/MP aspects/1st - 3rd person perspective etc.
Please, Please, Please don't half ass it SOE!

I'm leaving this thread now before I hype myself up for a fall.

Syf

Banned
A zombie game with SWG mechanics is more exciting than just a polished DayZ clone, and they've said in the past that this game is made with SWG fans in mind. The more I think about it, the more I think it has a ton of potential.

Freeman

Banned
Totally this^^^

A DayZ esc clone on PS4 would knock it out of the park! But it has to be literally a DayZ clone with all the looting/survival/MP aspects/1st - 3rd person perspective etc.
Please, Please, Please don't half ass it SOE!

I'm leaving this thread now before I hype myself up for a fall.

The art of cloning is something that should be more appreciated.

I love some of the simulation aspects that made into DayZ, how you need to adjust your sniper rifle to the right distance (that alone would solve so many problems we have on current games), how you have shootouts where no one is hit if they don't know what they are doing, how real world strategies actually work on the game.

It has all I want in a multiplayer game.

I saw an IGN article on this this morning: http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/04/09/sony-online-entertainment-revealing-major-project-tonight.

"Currently being referred to as H1Z1, SOE president John Smedley explained via Twitter that "the new game we haven't announced" is set to be revealed tonight replete with gameplay footage at 5pm PT / 8pm ET / 1am GMT. All we have so far is a ghostly teaser site, suggesting the game may be rather spooky."

I'm interested in hearing more.

Thanks. So it will be around 11pm here. 10 more hours to go.

Syf

Banned
Thank u! I would've never figured that out lol.

*off to look at some SWG vids
You won't really see what I'm getting at in videos. The gameplay probably won't be similar either because apparently this is a shooter. Two examples of elements I'm talking about are SWG's player cities and its excellent crafting system, which went quite a bit more in-depth than most MMOs. If this game includes the cities system in particular I'll be very excited.

sunnz

Just heard about this, very interesting and hope it is what I hope it is ( dayz style sandbox survival but with vehicles and proper survival in the form of base building/ baracading)

Oh and hope the location has a very large city, the teaser picture doesn't make me that hopeful, looks too much like a dayz location.

Darksol

I'm getting sick of people calling The Last of Us a zombie game. It isn't. Zombies rise from the dead. The affliction in TLOU is caused by cordyceps, an actual thing which occurs in nature. In the game, people get infected, eventually swell, burst, and spores are sent into the air for the cycle to repeat. No zombies.

Edit: I know I'm off topic, I'm just sick of people parotting lies :p

yep same engine (SOE's Forgelight, same for EQ Next) and that makes me even more hyped (supports thousands of players, not 50 like DayZ does)

hearing this makes me stoked to see the open world mechanics that SOE could come up with using the same engine that powered Planetside 2.

Freeman

Banned
I'm getting sick of people calling The Last of Us a zombie game. It isn't. Zombies rise from the dead. The affliction in TLOU is caused by cordyceps, an actual thing which occurs in nature. In the game, people get infected, eventually swell, burst, and spores are sent into the air for the cycle to repeat. No zombies.

Edit: I know I'm off topic, I'm just sick of people parotting lies :p

That still fits in the Zombie sub-genre and that isn't a bad thing.

yep same engine (SOE's Forgelight, same for EQ Next) and that makes me even more hyped (supports thousands of players, not 50 like DayZ does)
Thousand of players support would be a bad thing. What is a appealing about DayZ and what makes it "believable" is that your are not in a war-zone with people bunny hopping everywhere its a much more slow paced strategic game. The best situations in DayZ are simple things: You hear gunshots in the woods and decide to check it out. You identify a survivor and decide to follow his for a while, eventually you decide that he seems friendly enough but as you are going to approach him, shots are fired in your direction and confusion ensues (like he turns and shoot you because its the first person he sees, you still manage to kill him, but now you are bleeding, and the person who fired the first shots are still around).

nero2082

some redditor found this

Some other stuff from the website: DTKR.trackEvent({eventName:"playFreeButton"});DTKR.notify("clickPlayButton");}); {eventName:"betaRegDisplayed"});DTKR.notify("beta_reg_displayed")

#get #hype

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
man ill be asleep when they announce it :( i gots ta know i needs me a good zombie mmo that can expand on what dayz did but go more in depth

PatzCU

I'm surprised it's taken this long for a major studio to take a stab at a MMO Zombie Apocalypse game. It's pretty clear from games like DayZ and Rust that a sandbox-MMO type zombie/survival game will just print money. Fortunately for Sony, no other competent studio with a lot of resources has attempted to develop such a game.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I'm surprised it's taken this long for a major studio to take a stab at a MMO Zombie Apocalypse game. It's pretty clear from games like DayZ and Rust that a sandbox-MMO type zombie/survival game will just print money. Fortunately for Sony, no other competent studio with a lot of resources has attempted to develop such a game.

think microsoft is working or should be working on class 4 its the mmo state of decay well hear about it one of these days just looks like sony beat them to the punch cant wait to see what they have

The only MMO I've ever played is DCUO for a few hours but the concept of DayZ and the videos I've seen make me hope this is something similar with more polish.

Something like that could grab my interest and could be really big for PS4.

JP

So is there somewhere to watch this being announced or are they just sticking the info online when it happens?

SilentFlyer

Not sure if posted. via Polygon

H1Z1 is an MMO that allows players to take on the roll of an apocalypse survivor who is in a world that is filled with zombies,"

Few gameplay scenarios:

"When you see a zombie coming up to you with nothing out but a highway flare. But here is something your gonna be able to do that you can't do in these other games: Light things on fire. We are in the middle of putting that in so you are gonna be able to burn down trees, burn down stuff, and that's gonna be a lot of fun. The idea is that these players [are] building these forts and all of the sudden these other guys coming in lighting it on fire and waiting till they come out of the fortress ... is awesome."

Day and Night time:

"Oh God yeah," Smedley said when asked about day and night, "but in this game it matters a lot more than in others because it gets really dark at night and you need to have a torch and you will be ganked by other players, zombies. So we [have] vehicles in here. We can actually have aircraft if we want. Our goal is to build out this entire massive massive world that is this apocalypse of the United States."

Syf

Banned
That quote about players building fortresses seems to suggest that the city building mechanic from SWG is in, at least in some form. Happy to hear there's vehicles and potentially aircraft too.

+10 hype points

Salex_

Not sure if posted. via Polygon

Few gameplay scenarios:

Day and Night time:

3t643vZ.gif

So... Day Z...?

It'll most likely be much more polished. Good animations, hopefully more zombies, better hit detection/feedback, better AI, engine that supports hundreds of players, etc.

Dayz is a step in the right direction for zombie games, but it's going to take awhile for that team to get it polished.

charsace

MMO's fucking blow now. The best thing they can do is something like Starbound that is multiplayer, but not MMO big and expensive.

Duxxy3

I hope it's not another day z game. I don't understand the interest in running around a barren field, never seeing a zombie, and then getting robbed.

KKRT00

Please be F2P and not P2W.

Also very exciting abut this.

Such games cant be F2P. They need to be buyable, so that people who are banned couldnt just create another account and start messing around on servers again.
Cant be too cheap, but also not too expensive, probably something like 30-40$.

Top Bottom