• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE trademark H1Z1

DieH@rd

Banned
So, we will be able to build forts, which will burn down after attacks of zombies and other players? Trees can burn?

Nice. That's already better than DayZ which has really static world.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Such games cant be F2P. They need to be buyable, so that people who are banned couldnt just create another account and start messing around on servers again.
Cant be too cheap, but also not too expensive, probably something like 30-40$.

SOE is a F2P company, it will be F2P.

Fedele

I'm not a huge fan of zombies overall, but the fact that we're having two big titles announced way before E3 and on the same day tells me their conference will be amazing.

Freeman

Banned
I hope it's not another day z game. I don't understand the interest in running around a barren field, never seeing a zombie, and then getting robbed.
Have you tried it? That is an appeal to play an post apocalyptic game that actually feels like how it would be if a situation like that happened.

Arzehn

I'm not a huge fan of zombies overall, but the fact that we're having two big titles announced way before E3 and on the same day tells me their conference will be amazing.

Guys, this is SOE. They are, for most part, separate from Playstation. There may or may not be a PS4 version. Will probably only get announced for PC today.

Hopefully it's F2P. I'd love a Zombie MMO type experience but my gaming time is limited and hate paying monthly fees for something I may only get to play a few hours a month.

I really wish paid MMOs that I were interested in would adopt a buy some hours, use them, then buy some more type system.

Would LOVE it if you could actually play the game with only your friends, and have it not only level ups, different types of weapons and ammo, but also the ability to create strongholds. Hell, maybe have professions? Doctor, military/soldier, mechanic, computer tech and so on.

Sorry, have a lot of suggestions lol.

Syf

Banned
Would LOVE it if you could actually play the game with only your friends, and have it not only level ups, different types of weapons and ammo, but also the ability to create strongholds. Hell, maybe have professions? Doctor, military/soldier, mechanic, computer tech and so on.

If they meant what they said about it being a sort of spiritual successor to SWG, it should have both player strongholds/cities and professions.

But I'm probably just setting myself up for disappointment, lol.

KKRT00

Not this type of game. But if You want something like that get interested in Fornite.

SHADES

Ah man, we could build our own inner communities with roles eg:carpenter/builder but also elected judge, have our own police/farmer etc.....

Sam got caught stealing meat from the cold store, the community must decide what to do with him etc....

Yep my mind just ran wild also, I fucking said I wouldn't do this & here I am, doing it, will I ever learn?

Please be PS4, Please be PS4!!!!!!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Hopefully it's F2P. I'd love a Zombie MMO type experience but my gaming time is limited and hate paying monthly fees for something I may only get to play a few hours a month.

I really wish paid MMOs that I were interested in would adopt a buy some hours, use them, then buy some more type system.

It's SOE so it'll probably be F2P with an optional $15 sub that grants you perks in game and across all the other SOE games (PS2, EQ[2/Next/Landmark], DCUO) + 10% discount in the cash shop + $5 worth in Station Cash for the cash shop for every month you're subbed + access to cash shop sales.

Ah yeah I forgot SOE did that new payment system. In that case maybe I will subscribe because I've been eying DCUO on PS4 as well.

Same. If it's an MMO with a monthly charge, I'm out though.
SOE is doing mostly F2P now though, even Everquest Next will be F2P. They will also have a single subscription model for all their titles in the very near future. In my case I have a membership for PlanetSide 2 this will carry over to all the other titles as well.

Edit: beaten, but yeah.

cjp

That extra info on Polygon has really hyped me up.

Light things on fire. We are in the middle of putting that in so you are gonna be able to burn down trees, burn down stuff, and that's gonna be a lot of fun. The idea is that these players [are] building these forts and all of the sudden these other guys coming in lighting it on fire and waiting till they come out of the fortress ... is awesome.

Had a quick look at the teaser site too.

Code:
globs.urls = globs.urls || {};
globs.urls.returnURL = "https%3A%2F%2Fwww.h1z1.com";
globs.urls.downloadURL = "";
globs.urls.uramRootUrl = "https://account.station.sony.com";
[B]globs.urls.redeemURL = "https://account.station.sony.com/authenticated/cam/enterActivationCode!input.action?gameCode=h1z1&theme=h1z1&service=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.h1z1.com&locale=en_US";
globs.urls.stationcashPath = "https://account.station.sony.com/authenticated/link/wallet/fundWallet.action?theme=h1z1&locale=en_US&service=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.h1z1.com";[/B]
globs.urls.dcsRoot = "https://assets.soe.com/query";
globs.urls.censusUrl = "https://census.soe.com";
globs.urls.socialServiceURL = "https://social.station.sony.com";
globs.urls.sessionTrackingUrl = "https://lp.soe.com/h1z1/live/session.js";
globs.urls.tealiumUrl = "//tags.tiqcdn.com/utag/soe/h1z1/prod/utag.js";

webReg.gateOnReg = false;
webReg.isBeta = false;
webReg.betaID = -1;
webReg.underAgeMessage = "We're sorry, but you are unable to sign up for a Station Account at this time.";
webReg.popoverPos = "left";
webReg.theme = "h1z1";

Looks like there will be some sort of payment option on there soon. I guess a Station Account is something to do with SOE?

EDIT: And some more.

Code:
DTKR.receiveEvent("webRegStart", function() {
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "registrationStart"
    });
    DTKR.notify("acct_create_displayed");
});
DTKR.receiveEvent("webRegComplete", function() {
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "accountComplete"
    });
    DTKR.notify("acct_complete");
});
DTKR.receiveEvent("[B]webBetaRegDisplayed[/B]", function() {
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "[B]betaRegDisplayed[/B]"
    });
    DTKR.notify("[B]beta_reg_displayed[/B]");
});
DTKR.receiveEvent("[B]webNewBetaSignUp[/B]", function() {
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "[B]newBetaSignUp[/B]"
    });
    DTKR.notify("[B]new_beta_signup[/B]");
});
DTKR.receiveEvent("[B]webBetaSignUp[/B]", function() {
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "[B]betaSignUp[/B]"
    });
    DTKR.notify("beta_signup");
});
DTKR.receiveEvent("webLoginStart", function() {
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "loginStart"
    });
    DTKR.notify("login_start");
});
DTKR.receiveEvent("webLoginComplete", function() {
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "login"
    });
    DTKR.notify("login");
});
DTKR.receiveEvent("downloadInstaller", function() {
    try {
        saveSession();
    } catch (e) {}
    try {
        var tracker = _gat._getTrackerByName();
        tracker._trackEvent('Download', globs.wdl.pageID, 'Downloading Game from /' + globs.wdl.pageID + '/', 1, true);
        tracker._trackPageview('/' + globs.wdl.pageID + '/installer/' + globs.wdl.theme.toUpperCase() + '_setup.exe');
    } catch (e) {}
    DTKR.trackEvent({
        eventName: "[B]playFreeButton[/B]"
    });
    DTKR.notify("clickPlayButton");
});

I'm just spitballin' here. Looks like there will be a beta. "playFreeButton" indicate a F2P mode?

Corto

What a random way to unveil what it seems to be a pretty cool game. I'm hype. Will stay up to learn more details for sure.

Iadien

Looks like they'll be some sort of payment option on there soon. I guess a Station Account is something to do with SOE?

Yes.

I'm just spitballin' here. Looks like there will be a beta. "playFreeButton" indicate a F2P mode?

SOE is a F2P company, they have an optional sub, that will soon (april 23) give sub access to all of their games for $14.99 a month.

What a random way to unveil what it seems to be a pretty cool game. I'm hype. Will stay up to learn more details for sure.

Not too random, Jace Hall goes way back with SOE.

Without the ability to 'disable' the capability of being "ganked" by other people, I won't give this a try. I don't play many competitive games or want it disrupting what seems like a fun time of crafting building and killing zombies in a huge open world.

Disappointed.gif

Freeman

Banned
Without the ability to 'disable' the capability of being "ganked" by other people, I won't give this a try. I don't play many competitive games or want it disrupting what seems like a fun time if crafting building and killing zombies in a huge open world.

Disappointed.gif

So you want danger removed from a survival game. Ok. Your notion of fun is surviving in a game you can't die?

You don't "get ganked" in games like DayZ you make poor choices.

Xater

Without the ability to 'disable' the capability of being "ganked" by other people, I won't give this a try. I don't play many competitive games or want it disrupting what seems like a fun time of crafting building and killing zombies in a huge open world.

Disappointed.gif

That's like ignoring the whoel point of these games.

Hopefully this is also on PS4. I'd like to play DayZ but that game is kinda clunky and who knows when finished. This being just one world is also great.

So you want danger removed from a survival game. Ok. Your notion of fun is surviving in a game you can't die?

You don't "get ganked" in games like DayZ you make poor choices.

I seem to have missed the part where the zombies aren't a danger and that survival must always equate to surviving other humans. Not to mention the part where I said it's fun to not die.

That's like ignoring the whoel point of these games.

Hopefully this is also on PS4. I'd like to play DayZ but that game is kinda clunky and who knows when finished. This being just one world is also great.

Then why have zombies? Serious question.

Orayn

A game with zombies in it doesn't need to be 100% completely and totally about zombies. Mechanically, Dead Rising was a rather unique action-adventure game about planning routes and managing resources, zombies just happened to be a major part of the story and the main enemy that got in your way. That's kind of what DayZ is aiming for as well; they're meant to be more of a force of nature, a threat that applies everyone deals with like bad weather or hunger.

Lord of the Flies didn't need to have an island, or a conch shell, or a boar. It was a story about human nature, those were just the tools used to deliver it.

Disappointed.gif

But the entire fun of the DayZ archetype is the fact that your fellow man is significantly more threatening than the horde.

That said, I seriously hope that this will fix the major problem of the DayZ archetype - That your fellow man is the only real danger.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
need massive hordes of zombies not just 1 or 2 randomly roaming around for them to be a threat also i am a fan of the idea of classes and different tech trees maybe people will be less inclined to shoot you in the face if you have medical skills and can patch them up so then they can shoot you in the face after

Iadien

DCUO isn't included in that, unfortunately.

Yep, looks to be PC only.

https://forums.station.sony.com/soe...vised-soe-all-access-program-faq.11500063040/

We will be upgrading all existing individual game memberships to the new All Access plan, which will include the top-tier membership level in all eligible SOE games (EverQuest, EverQuest II, DC Universe Online PC, PlanetSide 2 PC, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and the upcoming EverQuest Next and Landmark) for one, low monthly rate of $14.99 (with extra savings for 3, 6 and 12 month plans). We’re also finalizing membership benefits to Dragon’s Prophet and will share these new updates as available.

KKRT00

I seem to have missed the part where the zombies aren't a danger and that survival must always equate to surviving other humans. Not to mention the part where I said it's fun to not die.

You have Fornite for that, a coop survival game.

This however is aiming at being survival MMO, which needs PVP and permadeath or at least full loot drop to be the game it wants to be.
Still there is nothing wrong with making zombies and environment to be dangerous too.

Salex_

Commanche does have a good point guys. In Dayz, the zombies are pretty much non-existent and the experience is driven almost entirely by the players. I want to actually have to be afraid of the zombies and think about what resources I have.

Personally, I want zombies AND players to be a threat. Although, It wouldn't hurt if people had the option for a non PVP server if someone just wants to worry about zombies with their friends. Maybe ramp up the amount of zombies to encourage people to team up and work together or something.

Syf

Banned
It's too early to draw conclusions about what exactly this game is trying to be and say what it needs or doesn't need. Personally I'm hoping for it to be more PvE focused than DayZ, and certainly not feature permadeath, but we'll find out in a couple hours.

Freeman

Banned
Permadeath adds tension an is liberating. I much prefer a game that asks you to progress in skill not stats or items. If you die you got outplayed. If you take a break from the game and return 4 month from now, you won't be in any disadvantage except that you might be less skilled than a player who has invested more time to learn the game than you, as it should be. You can avoid confrontation in DayZ if you choose, now walk in the middle of the road firing your gun and you will find trouble.

Usually the purpose of zombie and other disasters in fiction is to create conflict between humans. Sorry if I assumed too much from your post.

SRTtoZ

Wow, just heard about this. I am a huge "Survival" fan, and I mean real survival. If I can build a fort, scavenge/kill for food, find water sources in a GIANT open world, I'll be all in.

charsace

If this is a traditional MMO then it needs to be PvP. You can't make a zombie survival game and not have the ability to kill other people. Another thing is that when someone dies they should lose anything that they have on them.

Thinking about it this game should be like Ultima Online before they changed it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
"'you will be ganked by other players"

Please let there be a PvE setting. That does not sound like fun to me.
No. What makes the DayZ stereotype of games fun is because you CAN get ganked by other players if you fail to take in the situation. Survive both the environment and the players, that's why they are called survival games.

Iadien

That's not true at all. They have made plenty of non F2P games in the past. I would say that they were quick to adapt to that model with their MMOs because it was the way the genre was going.

Keywords there, in the past. They are a F2P company now.

viveks86

One more

Bkz_kWwCMAAMbkd.png:large

https://twitter.com/Todd_Roy

Top Bottom