• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Arkeband

Banned
Rogue One was perfunctory but ultimately a husk of a movie that only existed to support the final Darth Vader scene and a few cool shots of the Death Star. I have zero confidence that this movie will succeed without these handicaps.

It’s gonna make Caravan of Courage look like Empire.

So the real question is... did Ron Howard spend enough time on this project to effectively remove Lord and Miller directorial credits?

Vashetti

Banned
It was obviously always going to be Solo, it has to be as generic and easily understandable as possible for maximum audience potential.

Davide

"A Star Wars Story" is just the name of the anthology series. In the actual film the title shown was just "ROGUE ONE".

It's still used for all the posters and marketing and it's ridiculous when it's four times as long as the film's actual main title.

Everyone would have understand it was Star Wars if it was even just called "Han Solo".

Snake

"A Star Wars Story" is a monumentally ugly addition to all of these current and future spinoff films. Should have just had Star Wars (minus an episode number) included somewhere. and there wouldn't be a single person confused about it.

Tambini

You guys need to stop talking shit like you all won't be there on a Thursday or Friday night opening week showing.

Stahp.

I still haven't seen rouge one and have even less interest in this. Call me when they do a side story that isn't based on old characters and plots

It's still used for all the posters and marketing and it's ridiculous when it's three times as long as the film's actual main title.

Everyone would have understand it was Star Wars if it was even just called "Han Solo".

Just like how the original posters and logo for ESB back in the day all had "Star Wars" in them even though the title of the film was just "The Empire Strikes Back".

And I really don't mind that it's longer than the main title. Novels used to do that all the time (for example, just off the top of my head, "Peter Pan: The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up").

Surfinn

I don't get why people are making such a big deal out of A Star Wars Story. It's simply to clarify that it's not a main SW saga film. Most people end up just calling it Rogue One or whatever anyways.

Most people who go see these films don't immediately know what Rogue One is and what kind of SW film it is.

"A Star Wars Story" is a monumentally ugly addition to all of these current and future spinoff films. Should have just had Star Wars (minus an episode number) included somewhere. and there wouldn't be a single person confused about it.

There are people (general moviegoers) who are STILL confused about what it is, even WITH the SW Story addition

I really don't like the "A Star Wars Story" subtitle. People may not know what Solo would be but one look at the movie poster or trailer and you would immediately know it's Star Wars.

I would have preferred "Star Wars Anthology" like it was originally going to be.

Davide

Just like how the original posters and logo for ESB back in the day all had "Star Wars" in them even though the title of the film was just "The Empire Strikes Back".
Uh, did I miss something?

The title in the film was even longer - Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

Cheebo

Banned

The title in the film was even longer - Star Wars: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.

There are A LOT of people who seem to think the Episode __ thing wasn't added till the Special Edition.

ESB was always Episode V and ROTJ was always Episode VI. The original became "Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope" in 1979 in the '79 re-release.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
So Lando will show up sometime during ep 8 and recount a story after he hears that Han's been killed and that will be the story of SOLO!

Davide

How many of these normal people also referred to TFA as "Star Wars - Episode VII: The Force Awakens"?

A lot of them referred to it as "Episode VII" or just "Star Wars". People still refer to The Last Jedi as "Episode VIII".

"A Star Wars Story" is just an ugly and clunky addition four times as long as the real title here.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
A lot of them referred to it as "Episode VII" or just "Star Wars". People still refer to The Last Jedi as "Episode VIII".
And everyone refers to Rogue One as Rogue One and not Rouge One: A Star Wars Story. The movie is called Solo and the rest is marketing that no one will mention again and hey know that.

burgervan

Am I missing something? Why is everyone so absurdly negative about this movie?

Decent cast. Occassionally great director. Kasdan writing.

At worst, it'll probably be pleasant but forgettable like Rogue One. I doubt it'll be a disaster of any kind.

Davide

Thank you

Who fucking cares

iZVoTj.gif

Haines

Banned

At worst, it'll probably be pleasant but forgettable like Rogue One. I doubt it'll be a disaster of any kind.

My assumption has always been you are filling an iconic role with out its actor and that could go realllly poorly.

I could be wrong.

Wildo09

It isn't called Han Solo cause maybe we will see the adventures of different members of the family. Maybe a tease of Ben at the end?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I have no idea. People really have their knives out for this one. Saw a little of that when it was announced, but it went into overdrive after Lord & Miller were replaced.

Especially coming from a fanbase that got burned 3 times in a row with godawful films and gleefully lined up for them in force every single time. Y'all know damn well it isn't going to be that bad.

Fliesen

predictable title, but still not the worst choice.

"Han Solo" would have been worse.
Some fancy shit like "Kessel" would have hurt the movie.
"Scoundrel" would have sounded too much like "Rogue" (One)

... 'One Rogue' is brilliant, though. Kudos.

Yes and the title of Rogue One in the film was just Rogue One.

On the ESB poster, ESB's title was basically Star The Empire Strikes Back Wars.

Busty

Banned
This is how I predict this will go...,

1) Online critics see the film and proclaim "It's the best Star Wars film since Empire.., "

2) Everyone else goes and sees the film and gives it a collective shrug of the shoulders.

3) Star Wars fans feel the critical backlash and begin lashing out at anyone and everyone online.

4) You thought Marvel vs DC was bad? That's nothing. Begun, the Star Wars vs Everyone flame wars have.

*Inception gong*

Davide

Yes and the title of Rogue One in the film was just Rogue One.

On the poster, ESB's title was basically Star The Empire Strikes Back Wars.
Same as with the new films and it's entirely a different thing. Don't know how the title of the filmed was really just "The Empire Strikes Back" either.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Alden Ehrenreich, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton? Come on, others wish they had half that cast.

Always found Emilia Clarke to be an extremely poor actress. Otherwise, the cast is serviceable, certainly elevated by Harrelson and Newton.

Top Bottom