• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some info about Final Fantasy XV / Forum Q&A

wmlk

In gigantic teams that's not necessarily an exclusive position.

Yeah, Wan Hazmer is the Lead Game Designer for the Culture team. So he plays a large part in the personalities of the different towns and cities in the game. There are other Lead Game Designers in charge of different aspects of the game.

Ray Down

Banned
2679759-1798570579-14119.gif

Wonder if this is the normal magic or the one royal one.

Carmelozi

Dude, be excited first for the January ATR. They will make some magic there =p

Yeah, I'm very interested in magic gameplay. If I recall, there will be two types of magic, the first is the one Noctis can only use and the second is more general. Anyways, can't wait to see the ATR!

Rodin

Given that they want to impart a sense of road trip adventure, large open spaces (without necessarily to much to do) is actually fundamental for them to achieve their aim.

lol, that would be a damn short road trip.

Considering they're traveling highway speeds the world has to be huge to give the feeling of an adventure.
W3 is fine when you're running around with a horse around villages, but traveling from nation to nation? It won't be enough.

1200km2 is the size of Rome, which (without context) doesn't sound too big either for a road trip that's supposed to take place in a whole world.

Sheer size matters if you want to give the idea of a road trip, yes, but how you perceive it in games depends on how fast your characters move and how the world is designed. So maybe for what they're aiming for there is a better balance between a massive, empty world and a smaller one filled with stuff to do. Maybe a world that feels "big enough", but where a big part of it actually has a "purpose" that goes beyond just giving a bigger sense of scale.

One day, games will be able to achieve that. One day.
Yeah, maybe.

Altissia sounds absolutely amazing. Sounds like a dream come true, a fully realized JRPG city. Can't wait to see more of it and the other towns.

Like the Leviathan's battle ? I'm trying to get not too hyped but if we can see something in par with the battle in the 2013 trailer, it will be very cool!

We never saw the actual Leviathan battle that was just a concept trailer, it wasn't real time from my understanding.. but here's hoping!

artsi

1200km2 is the size of Rome, which (without context) doesn't sound too big either for a road trip that's supposed to take place in a whole world.

Sheer size matters if you want to give the idea of a road trip, yes, but how you perceive it in games depends on how fast your characters move and how the world is designed. So maybe for what they're aiming for there is a better balance between a massive, empty world and a smaller one filled with stuff to do. Maybe a world that feels "big enough", but where a big part of it actually has a "purpose" that goes beyond just giving a bigger sense of scale.

When a lot of the game is this, it's pretty clear that a highway through Velen swamps will come to an end quite short. A theme park world just isn't suitable for a game like this. There will probably be a lot of "empty" nature (like in real life) between the towns and landmarks that the story and sidequests will take place in.

1JBjdqs.gif

lIZbLyn.gif

Koozek

Holy shit!!!! I just played episode duscae and as my first Jrpg ever I fucking loved it. I can't wait until the full game comes out and I cat try my first Jrpg ever. I got a question tho, am I going to be confused as hell just jumping in. I was already confused with what the hell that zues thing was at the end of duscae when I killed that big monster.

Hehe, nice to hear from an excited series outsider! I think we all will be in for a treat when they kick off the main promo phase in March and show off the most recent build and trailer.

Well, regarding your being confused about FFXV's story: the story bits from Episode Duscae were supposed to be confusing to create a bit of fresh mystery about the story. Even for those who followed Versus XIII since 2006 (it was rebranded as FFXV and rebooted for next-gen consoles from the ground up in 2013) it wasn't totally clear where and when in the actual story the dialog shown at the end of the demo was taking place, as it differed from the plot points about the peace treaty going awry we knew from the old Versus XIII trailers. However, a few months after the demo came out the director confirmed that they rewrote and streamlined Versus XIII's story for FFXV.

If you meant in regards to this being your first FF, just know that FFs have nothing to do with each other directly besides a few common tropes/cameos/themes.
---

Altissia being explorable sounds mind-blowing:

And there are even more huge cities we haven't seen fully or at all yet :>

benzy

Q: WILL LARGE BUILDINGS HAVE MULTIPLE WARP POINTS TO ALLOW NOCTIS TO SCALE AND EXPLORE ROOFTOPS?

A: Why of course they will!
The warp ability that lets you teleport instantly to high up locations is a vital part of FFXV’s battle system. The ability to use multiple warp points in a strategic manner is especially prevalent in the game’s large scale battles over urban terrain. It is not just the buildings though, and we have also created exciting aerial battles with flying foes and gigantic boss enemies, so watch out for those.

Respondent: Lead Level Designer Terada Takefumi

Pretty confident the Leviathan segment is still in now.

1419831579-airship-teleport.gif

Oh yeah, it was before the battle. But man, it was great on the trailer. Let's hope.

The battle will happen but my guess it won't inside Noctis hometown, since he's not in the kingdom during the invasion..I just want suit Nocto to be back.

Edit: found some concept shown by during a presentation seems in still.
4472606-versus+tuxedo.jpg

sappyday

The battle will happen but my guess it won't inside Noctis hometown, since he's not in the kingdom during the invasion..I just want suit Nocto to be back.

Edit: found some concept shown by during a presentation seems in still.
4472606-versus+tuxedo.jpg

Concept art is never indicative of the final product.

Bousf

This keeps sounding better and better, which is a great thing in my book, really hoping the match this with a great showing in January/March/E3? and our jaws drop and the hype reigns!

In my personal case, my excitement never wavers ^^

I have a feeling this game is going to be amazing. I'm incredibly hyped after seeing these 3 replies.

I can't wait for March where they spill the beans on everything and finally tell us when we will be able to play it.

Mifec

So what do we expect the framerate to be in these huge cities?

We have no clue about Leviathan stuff being in at all.

edit: Damn Kagari, too fast for me.

Bousf

We don't know if any of that stuff is in.
Truth, if there's anything we should've learnt by now is to not hold on to stuff we haven't seen in a long time. Odds are it's either out or switched with a redesign.

That been said, we can hope and dream and speculate *0*

So like, when is this January ATB? I need it. Now.

ATB stands for "Active Time Battle", this is an ATR (Active Time Report) xD

We don't have an exact date yet, should happen late this month.

sappyday

My hope is they make these locations a lot more intractable. I love the gas station and Wiz's chocobo farm in ED. The vibes and design are great imo. I was just a little disappointed at how little there is to do in those areas but if those type of areas are littered in the main game then I won't mind probably.

wmlk

It won't be. It's CG. It never actually existed.

We know that the Leviathan sequence is still in the game, but it will be different simply by the fact that it's not CG anymore. It would have looked different no matter what.

daveo42

Banned
This game is going to absolutely eat lives. Maybe even more than some of the more open-ended open world games like ES and FO.

Mortemis

Banned
tumblr_mogfh1ZKC31qftanso1_500.gif

1371012296-general-attack-command.gif

Aerial combat should be fun in certain circumstances and enemy specific scenarios.

God, please. 🙏 This is what had me so excited about FFXV after the 2013 trailer. If we can get good aerial combat, then damn.

I can't remember, have SE said anything about set pieces like uncharted since TGS 2014? Or was that just something Nomura talked about and hasn't been said since.

If we still have set-pieces, we won't have that Leviathan fight but others like it.

God, please. �� This is what had me so excited about FFXV after the 2013 trailer. If we can get good aerial combat, then damn.

Since there's no double jump by theory is that the aerial combat will revolve around the warping mechanic. Under certain conditions that is.

I learned my lesson long ago about target renders. Funny thing is people doubted it was such a thing back in 2013.

True, I do think the battle is still in. What matters is the execution and how fun they make it to be.

benzy

Talking about that specific scene. Since it never existed in playable form.

Ah yes, probably not exactly like it since it was pre-rendered. But they just confirmed large scale battles over cities and warping to high locations and giant boss battles. That looked like the major tech hurdle rendering the whole city that high up whist battling, as nothing else from the Leviathan segment looks un-doable.

"Will big buildings have multiple warp points?"
"Of course!"
=D

"Warping is a vital part of the battle system."
D=

No fucks given to exploration and level design...

Hopefully there's a mini-game where you have to avoid being shat on by birds on the equivalent of Piazza San Marco

KB3ddhC.jpg

This is how they would get my interest back lol

Top Bottom