• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some info about Final Fantasy XV / Forum Q&A

Pejo

Gold Member
The part about battle has me slightly optimistic. I'll wait and see how it actually plays when they release that new demo, but it's going to be the battle that makes/breaks the game for me.

Mortemis

Banned
Hopefully there's a mini-game where you have to avoid being shat on by birds on the equivalent of Piazza San Marco

KB3ddhC.jpg

To get Prompto's Ultimate Weapon: Dodge bird shit 200 times

Since there's no double jump by theory is that the aerial combat will revolve around the warping mechanic. Under certain conditions that is.

I hope they at least have a high jump or something, jumps in Duscae were short and boring.

DeSolos

"Will big buildings have multiple warp points?"
"Of course!"
=D

"Warping is a vital part of the battle system."
D=

No fucks given to exploration and level design...

This is how they would get my interest back lol

*sigh* That dodge hurt the most. Welp, in it's inevitable post console future, there'll probably be a mod for that.

I hope they at least have a high jump or something, jumps in Duscae were short and boring.

Man, to be honest I don't see that jump changing.

They got to fix those battles with giant foes, I think it's going to be more engaging in the final game. Duscae was so early and missed a lot of features so I'm not critical like most folks of it.
GroundedUnrulyKatydid.gif

wmlk

Don't think Insomnia will be as big a focus in FFXV, but Altissia has been stated as the "most important area" in the game. I would rather have Altissia than Insomnia.

Bousf

Don't think Insomnia will be as big a focus in FFXV, but Altissia has been stated as the "most important area" in the game. I would rather have Altissia than Insomnia.
Insomnia is probably flashback material, though it could also be a strong focus during the final parts of the game, who knows?

But I'm with ya: Altissia >>>> Insomnia

Go_Ly_Dow

At this point, for your own sanity, it is probably best to leave the guessing and assumptions about certain locations/elements in the back of our heads.

The game is still a miserable little pile of secrets!

Skilletor

"Will big buildings have multiple warp points?"
"Of course!"
=D

"Warping is a vital part of the battle system."
D=

No fucks given to exploration and level design...

This is how they would get my interest back lol

Wouldn't being able to warp all over the place be a detriment to level design and exploration?

Kapi96

Option to change to a slower battle mode? It won't be as slow as I want it, but at least it's something :)

The world sounds pretty good too. Will be nice to have an FF game that actually has places to explore again.

Wouldn't being able to warp all over the place be a detriment to level design and exploration?

Isn't that the exact reason as to why you can only warp to pre-determined places?

And even if you could warp anywhere, the answer would still be no. There are multiple ways of having good level design even with high mobility.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
At this point, for your own sanity, it is probably best to leave the guessing and assumptions about certain locations/elements in the back of our heads.

Listen to this man.

wmlk

Isn't that the exact reason as to why you can only warp to pre-determined places?

And even if you could warp anywhere, the answer would still be no. There are multiple ways of having good level design even with high mobility.

I suggest you sit back and be content with them doing their jobs. I'm sure they've considered your criticisms for the game and then some. They just have their own plan and vision they're sticking to for the game as a whole.

wmlk

I love this Bahamut. Amano is really good in designing monsters.

My favorite one:

latest

Look how menacing he is while opening his wings:

https://youtu.be/iBfIFgxf2sw?t=4m13s

Would be nice if we do have a Bahamut of that size. Bahamut is cool in FFXIV and all, but Bahamut Prime itself during the battle is unimpressively small. Unfortunately, that's the way it is with MMOs.

They can definitely go for a much larger scale in a single player ARPG.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Would be nice if we do have a Bahamut of that size. Bahamut is cool in FFXIV and all, but Bahamut Prime itself during the battle is unimpressively small. Unfortunately, that's the way it is with MMOs.

They can definitely go for a much larger scale in a single player ARPG.

He's small because you're fighting a materialization of his soul. It wouldn't have worked in game to have you fight his arms/legs/head etc per Yoshida.

Ray Down

Banned

Untill the March event :p

I love this Bahamut. Amano is really good in designing monsters.

My favorite one:

latest

Look how menacing he is while opening his wings:

https://youtu.be/iBfIFgxf2sw?t=4m13s

Yeah FFXIV does well with the summons and just how powerful they are.

Hell, people like Zack can destroy large planets due to contending with Bahamut.
Which makes the Death Battle even more ridiculous.

Wonder where Noctis will end up after fighting these beast of power.

wmlk

He's small because you're fighting a materialization of his soul. It wouldn't have worked in game to have you fight his arms/legs/head etc per Yoshida.

Obviously it wouldn't have worked out, and that's what's unfortunate about it. Story wise I suppose it's justified with you going to its heart basically. You can justify a lot of things with story.

I'm saying FFXV can aim higher with regards to scale.

Skilletor

I would think the reason you can only warp to predetermined places is that it would be a pain in the ass to control otherwise, in real-time anyway.

But whatever. I've seen you post in these threads, and it certainly seems as if you've made up your mind. Don't know why I asked.

Breakbeat

Banned
I would think the reason you can only warp to predetermined places is that it would be a pain in the ass to control otherwise, in real-time anyway.

But whatever. I've seen you post in these threads, and it certainly seems as if you've made up your mind. Don't know why I asked.

I remember hearing that the engine was having issues with asset streaming, e.g. struggling to keep up while the player warped around the map. I can't really think of a game of this scale that's attempted near-instantaneous teleportation across long distances, so I can understand why it would be an issue. That's part of what initiated the talks with Avalanche IIRC.

Would fit since we already have Samurai enemies.

Mmf, that enemy design gets me so hyped.
"Hey, this samurai enemy from the old 2D FF games is kinda huge in comparison to the player sprites, should we scale it down? It was probably intended to be human sized anywa-"
"NOPE, we're making it huge and uncanny as hell."
So good <3

Truth, if there's anything we should've learnt by now is to not hold on to stuff we haven't seen in a long time. Odds are it's either out or switched with a redesign.

That been said, we can hope and dream and speculate *0*

ATB stands for "Active Time Battle", this is an ATR (Active Time Report) xD

We don't have an exact date yet, should happen late this month.

LOL yeah sorry, haha, in my haste I used the wrong acronym. Excellent.

chozen

I was pretty sure the cities could be fully explored and would have this level of depth.

Cafes, hotels, shops, parks, boats, sightseeing, and activities. Well done, I'm sure this isn't all talk either and it is all in the game already.

Hearing about the aerial combat only excites me more. As I had expected this from the start,
people telling me that "FFXV is grounded now" and that air combat would be "Unrealistic and have no place in the game" are too funny.

I'm pretty sure the Leviathan fight will still be in, and will still be badass.
People are acting like just because it was a target render in the E3 Trailer means it won't look like that in the actual game.
Meanwhile we have no solid confirmation about that, just the ones who doubt showing their pure pessimism. Just you wait.

Also this combat switching system sounds like Automatic and Manual control options all the better to hear.

Believe.

benzy

I remember hearing that the engine was having issues with asset streaming, e.g. struggling to keep up while the player warped around the map. I can't really think of a game of this scale that's attempted near-instantaneous teleportation across long distances, so I can understand why it would be an issue. That's part of what initiated the talks with Avalanche IIRC.

I believe the streaming issue was only in regards to the airship, which was why Avalanche was approached since they have a game where you can go incredibly high up. The warp-as-traveling mechanic was tested but they kept running into a crapload of bugs and would cause delays.

#13 &#8211; I want to warp as a regular means of moving around.

Tabata&#8217;s comment: &#8220;Yes, yes. So, until some part of February, this was actually possible. That was our plan. But it caused so many bugs. So ultimately, we felt it would be pretty tough and prevent us from mastering. That&#8217;s how many bugs occurred as a result of this feature. So we decided to limit it to just battles. This isn&#8217;t something I want to tell our players. Although I just did.&#8221;

(Is this something you can achieve with enough QA time in the final release?)

&#8220;Well, here&#8217;s the thing. Since this is an open world and we&#8217;re seamlessly reading data, to be able to warp through that would be a pretty outrageous feature. So honestly, at this point we haven&#8217;t found a breakthrough to be able to achieve that without resulting in bugs. If we did find a way, it would&#8217;ve been in the demo, but we didn&#8217;t. I can&#8217;t say with absolute confidence that we&#8217;ll be able to manage it in the final release. If a breakthrough happens, I&#8217;m sure we&#8217;d implement it so you could use warping as a means of getting around, but there&#8217;s a good chance it will be left as is.

&#8220;But, well, even if we had to limit warping to just battles in the final release, I would like to find a way to open it up a bit in some fun way. That, at least, I think would be possible. Warping does feel good, and I want players to experience that as much as possible, so if you could allow us to be more flexible with how we could possibly allow warping, then we would like to come up with something.&#8221;

http://gematsu.com/2015/04/final-fa...duscae-2-0-coming-mid-may#UKqg1UdM6MsjtPhF.99

Sonit sounds like they are taking a witcher 3 aproach in terms of difficulty? I like that, I also wonder if this is all going to be one seamless world or if there will be loading screens between zones? Either way, one of my most anticipated games of all time, I cant fucking wait!

Breakbeat

Banned
I believe the streaming issue was only in regards to the airship, which was why Avalanche was approached since they have a game where you can go incredibly high up. The warp-as-traveling mechanic was tested but they kept running into a crapload of bugs and would cause delays.

To be honest, from a development standpoint, this is a completely reasonable answer and fans should try to be a little bit understanding.

Joqu

I honestly don't get why warp-as-travelling would be such a problem while it's still a feature in battles. Could someone explain this to me?

I just want to be able to use the same warps they let you use during battles outside of them. I don't necessarily want to be able to pick the warp points myself. :/

in a time where we got bombarded with all those medieval looking buildings in RPG Games, its just so refreshing to have something like this.

What's ironic is this is still based on medieval buildings, except real medieval ones instead of cliche D&D-ish/LOTR-ish ones.

I just hope that the inevitable PC version has a mod that allows constant warping. I mean, in the demo you can already warp in any direction as long as you're in the battle state/mode, even if you aren't actually warping towards or currently attacking an enemy, so I imagine it'd be possible to find some kind of exploit or workaround.

Top Bottom