• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something's a stir between Square and MS at TGS

jsrv

Whatever happened to the next Square MMORPG from the director of FFXI? Any chance of it being showcased in TGS?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Zen said:
Sony really needs to, um, stop letting Microsoft slowly eat their pie. It's absurd how they've just sat by, twiddling their thumbs, while Microsoft is replacing their forte in the Japanese Market.

Maybe the tiny forte, the big one was already taken by the DS/Wii from 2005. What Microsoft's strong pursuing of Japan will ultimately do is perpetuate both system's irrelevance there, it's not significant for either company, it is however very rich for Nintendo as they split demand for certain key games of the past, which were declining to begin with.

Nooreo

TheGreatDave said:
Final Fantasy VII on 360.
28v4rpe.gif

I want it to happen so i can get a good laugh and shock. But the following day i will cry :'(

Rezbit

TheGreatDave said:

It'd be worth it just to see the reactions. The GAF Mod Force would assemble all their numbers, and smite many a member with their banhammers.

Phthisis

I would really love to see Secret of Evermore released to the Xbox Live Arcade. And a new Chrono game. But since this isn't what I want, I will be satisfied with whatever the keynote has in store.

EDIT- Anyone remember the EGM rumor that had Square making Front Mission 5 for the 360? Maybe it comes true tomorrow?

Lightning

Banned
I love how Square Enix are on this pedestal despite what they have produced these passed few years on consoles... Square Enix think they are above everyone else but they really aren't. The 360 Japan boost is only made look better and more important than it really is because it shows just how much the PS3 is sucking.

Seriously, aside from FF and DQ Japan aren't swallowing up the JRPG's either. They are a niche market and seem to have more importance among internet gamers than the general gaming public based on sales.

People really need to get off the hyperbole. I love JRPG's as much as the next guy but lets not pretend they are something they are not and that if Sony secured these games like MS are that they would selling gangbusters because they wouldn't be. They would be sucking slightly less but sucking all the same.

Darkman M

Lightning said:
I love how Square Enix are on this pedestal despite what they have produced these passed few years on consoles... Square Enix think they are above everyone else but they really aren't. The 360 Japan boost is only made look better and more important than it really is because it shows just how much the PS3 is sucking.

Seriously, aside from FF and DQ Japan aren't swallowing up the JRPG's either. They are a niche market and seem to have more importance among internet gamers than the general gaming public based on sales.

People really need to get off the hyperbole. I love JRPG's as much as the next guy but lets not pretend they are something they are not and that if Sony secured these games like MS are that they would selling gangbusters because they wouldn't be. They would be sucking slightly less but sucking all the same.

Damn man you gave up on the War?:lol

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Zen said:
Sony really needs to, um, stop letting Microsoft slowly eat their pie. It's absurd how they've just sat by, twiddling their thumbs, while Microsoft is replacing their forte in the Japanese Market.
MS isn't slowly eating any more, they're about ready to go Kobayashi on Sony's slice of Japan.

Lightning said:
Sucking slightly less in Japan... sucking slightly more in North America. Sadly we'll need a simultaneous release of a JRPG on the X360/PS3 to prove my point, but we might be waiting until the arrival of FF13 itself to prove my theory.

(Hint: It won't be selling 1:1 in North America between X360/PS3.)

It will sell more on the Xbox. And it won't be because it's been "Americanized" or some other such nonsense. The main reasons will actually be entry price and install base. Although it WILL sell to a greater percentage of Sony owners than X360 owners, so there's a carrot for you. Of course, you can say that about MOST games these days. That's hardly a win.

xblarcade said:
I can play this game too...

MS has actually bought Square, the reason the two booths are next to each other is that it's really just one booth
I like this one! Square Enix renamed MGS Japan. "Square Enix" becomes a brand to sell games. DS titles would still come out in plentiful supply with this move (to help crush Sony on the portable front). The classics that won't get remade for DS get thrown onto XBLA with Achievements, extras and hi-res touchup. Starting with ports of FF1 & FF2 PSP. :lol

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Einhander , Space Invaders Extreme and Internal Section in HD for XBLA?

OH YES!!!

dreamfantasyland

graywolf323

Phthisis said:
EDIT- Anyone remember the EGM rumor that had Square making Front Mission 5 for the 360? Maybe it comes true tomorrow?

Front Mission 5 already came out in Japan for PS2 a few years ago

they just never released it anywhere else :(

which still upsets me because I really want that game

h3ro

FF XIII for Japan perhaps? Seems plausible...

I don't think there is anything that could top XIII going to 360. Not even a VII remake would beat that...
man, do I want a VII remake, sorry PS3 only crowd, YOU'RE SCREWED

Lightning

Banned
Vast Inspiration said:
A fanatic's morale has to be low when even the 360 outsells the PS3 in Japan.
Hmm... That happened last year... what's currently happening in Japan means absolutely nothing to me because as I said, the sales are still FAR too low to be relevant. We are talking about a pissing contest of "My 6% is bigger than your 5% hahaha" while ignoring the other 89% that is giving both the middle finger.

Both MS and Sony have lost in every region, end of story. You look at the PAL or Japan charts and tell me how the hell either Sony or MS can possibly be gloating about anything. One disaster of epic proportions.

The only thing MS/Sony have going for them is that 3rd parties are still giving the Wii the finger. Nothing else to be happy about. Not making money and getting your ass handed to you in sales but still releasing PR basically saying "HAHA our 6% is better than *insert other failure here* 5%"

Incredibly pointless.

h3ro said:
FF XIII for Japan perhaps? Seems plausible...
This is what I am thinking because this seems realistic. Even talking about KH3 or FFVII at this point is silly, Square have no one available and by the time they do they will be pushing their asses off to have either completed by 2012...

909er

It really doesn't seem like much. Sakaguchi says they're stressing getting as many ppl to try out 360 games (they have 140 units set up), and are apparently using their neighbors at Square-Enix to encourage checking the MS booth out.

マイクロソフトとスクウェア・エニックスさんの両ブースでゲームをプレイしていただいた方には抽選のチャンスがあり、そこで当選した方がスクウェア・エニックスのブースに行くと……。あとは当日までのお楽しみということで(笑)

People who try out a game at both the MS and SE booth are entered into a lottery. Those that win will go to SE booth and.... The surprise will revealed on the day they go.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Front Mission manga came out recently - awesome art. I wonder if we are due a new FM to coincide?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreatDave said:
This would be the greatest thing ever for two reasons:

1. Would shut all the retarded fanboys clamoring for a remake up.
2. The suicides and meltdowns would EPIC (ly hilarious)!

vilmer_

Vast Inspiration said:
A fanatic's morale has to be low when even the 360 outsells the PS3 in Japan.

Wii60 is where it's at! Anyways, it'll be interesting to see what's up at TGS.

People should support Microsofts single handed quest at keeping the JPRG genre alive, do you think Sony with their change in emphasis of focusing on first parties and not subsidising games would be helping funding these games if MS were not?

Show your support for Japanease games by getting youself an Xbox 360 from only $199.99
**Xbox 360 swishy dashboard noise**
JUMP IN

Darkman M

BishopLamont said:
As big as FFVII on 360 would be, I don't think it'd be a bigger deal then FFXIII going on 360.

FFVII sequel or remake on any one of the current gen consoles would swallow anything Final Fantasy XIII related.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
FFVII for 360 would make me lol. I want to see single-console owner GAF cry.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
mr_bishiuk said:
People should support Microsofts single handed quest at keeping the JPRG genre alive,

If you went back in time five years and declared to gaf that MS would now be the undisputed king of the J-RPG, you would have been banned on the spot.

rykomatsu

mr_bishiuk said:
Show your support for Japanease games by getting youself an Xbox 360 from only $199.99
**Xbox 360 swishy dashboard noise**
JUMP IN

i needed 2 before i even completed one game... :/

Negaiido

SO4 is not Japanese exclusive announced :p
Why are other events always disappointing and why wouldn't this one be the same?

909er said:
It really doesn't seem like much. Sakaguchi says they're stressing getting as many ppl to try out 360 games (they have 140 units set up), and are apparently using their neighbors at Square-Enix to encourage checking the MS booth out.

マイクロソフトとスクウェア・エニックスさんの両ブースでゲームをプレイしていただいた方には抽選のチャンスがあり、そこで当選した方がスクウェア・エニックスのブースに行くと……。あとは当日までのお楽しみということで(笑)

People who try out a game at both the MS and SE booth are entered into a lottery. Those that win will go to SE booth and.... The surprise will revealed on the day they go.
Probably a FFXIII faceplate or something lame. Prove me wrong, MS!

Olaeh

Like its already been suggested, Its gotta be the new MMO. FFVII I would want simply for the meltdowns.

Aselith

h3ro said:
Neither. They would play Beyblade.

back when i used to buy the toys, they always came with 2 bit beasts, the one it was supposed to have, and some random bird which seemed to be included with every ne that you'd buy, what was that bird thing called?

Nakazato

If FFVIIR came out for 360 i would rip every FF poster off my wall take my PS2 in to EBgames get my 30 dollar credit and find 180 to get me a arcade and a 20 dollar HDD from target.

MoogPaul

kinda sick of all these can't compete with moneyhatting. people need to understand, the XBox360 came out first. Companies had access to the Dev Kits way before the PS3 one. I really don't see Sqeenix needing money for either company. Its just a matter of having more time.

Top Bottom