• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something's a stir between Square and MS at TGS

Rezbit said:
It'd be worth it just to see the reactions. The GAF Mod Force would assemble all their numbers, and smite many a member with their banhammers.

I just had a vision of an epic battle with a valkyrie, Samuel L. Jackson with a chain whip, and surrounding them a giant crowd of angry Sony Defense Force zombies with torches.

LaneDS

Nakazato said:
If FFVIIR came out for 360 i would rip every FF poster off my wall take my PS2 in to EBgames get my 30 dollar credit and find 180 to get me a arcade and a 20 dollar HDD from target.

So you'd get really pissed, take down your posters, and then go get ready to give Square and MS your money? That makes sense.

Remember how people kept asking why no FFXIII in Japan for the 360? And we never got a satisfying answer for it?

Well this could be it: they were holding the announcement for TGS.

Is that unreasonable or unrealistic, folks?

daegan

Rezbit said:
It'd be worth it just to see the reactions. The GAF Mod Force would assemble all their numbers, and smite many a member with their banhammers.

I can easily see 30 or more members being culled.

saunderez

Darth Tigris said:
Remember how people kept asking why no FFXIII in Japan for the 360? And we never got a satisfying answer for it?

That was my thoughts when I first read this thread but I put it aside out of hope it's something a bit more interesting.

OuterWorldVoice said:
If you went back in time five years and declared to gaf that MS would now be the undisputed king of the J-RPG, you would have been banned on the spot.

Sony are so worried about MS ultimately taking over the west and being "that" box under the tv, that Japan has become irrelevant to them. I imagine Sony always considered Japan to ultimatley be a given seeings as Nintendo haven't ever made noises in that direction so they would win by default.

From a business perpsective pumping money into the JPRG genre doesn't make a lot of sense, it will keep the hardcore minority happy but it hardly moves the needle from a hardware sales perspective.

MoogPaul

mr_bishiuk said:
Sony are so worried about MS ultimately taking over the west and being "that" box under the tv, that Japan has become irrelevant to them. I imagine Sony always considered Japan to ultimatley be a given seeings as Nintendo haven't ever made noises in that direction so they would win by default.

From a business perpsective pumping money into the JPRG genre doesn't make a lot of sense, it will keep the hardcore minority happy but it hardly moves the needle from a hardware sales perspective.

*looks at past few month Japan numbers
I think microsoft is confused by your comment

MoogPaul said:
*looks at past few month Japan numbers
I think microsoft is confused by your comment

Sorry I was talking from Sony's perspective in the west, they are so focused here that with limited resources why put their money in JPRGs?

Jigsaw

Banned
Darth Tigris said:

they havnt even started with the port,and they wont until the ps3 version is out

no one in japan will care about a 360 version if it comes out 6 months later,thats exactly why they dont plan to release it there

Negaiido

MoogPaul said:
kinda sick of all these can't compete with moneyhatting. people need to understand, the XBox360 came out first. Companies had access to the Dev Kits way before the PS3 one. I really don't see Sqeenix needing money for either company. Its just a matter of having more time.

They have developed games for the 360 and they are gonna be released soon.
So you can't use that reason anymore. Its just really obvious MS moneyhatted them because there is no reason why there wont be something for the PS3 aswell, since the PS3 is still better in Japan if you look at the total sales.

TheGreatDave said:
Final Fantasy VII on 360.

:lol And to appease Sony fans they give them the exclusive Ehrgeiz 2: Back to the Streets :lol

I would not be able to look my brother in the eye ever again.

I remember when MS had their little shindig in japan a few months ago where they showed star ocean 4 and some other rpgs, they said they had some exciting stuff to announce at this years TGS. Maybe we will get a surprise from square after all.

If Microsoft is willing to "moneyhat" - that is, help to fund game development (with exclusivity motives) then full power to them.

It's just business. This is WAR. Besides, giving developers additional funding ultimately (in theory) helps to make better games.

Negaiido

Poimandres said:
If Microsoft is willing to "moneyhat" - that is, help to fund game development (with exclusivity motives) then full power to them.

It's just business. This is WAR. Besides, giving developers additional funding ultimately (in theory) helps to make better games.

What about Sony?
They are prepared to do this too, right?

Negaiido said:
What about Sony?
They are prepared to do this too, right?

Well, they should be prepared to do this. I really don't see a problem with it.

It irks me that some people try and get all high and mighty and declare it an "unfair" tactic. It's a completely legitimate avenue, and open to all.

C4Lukins

Probably just Last Remnant and Star Ocean 4 cross marketing. But who knows. Microsoft going crazy and financing FF7 remake exclusivity makes a bit more sense then them financing a couple of new Mistwalker games or paying for Ridge Racer/ Katamari/ Ace Combat/ and Trusty Bell sequel exclusivity. If I was Microsoft, instead of buying or starting a new studio that is the direction I would take.

MoogPaul

I really don't foresee Square making any non-wii (based on controls) exclusives for home consoles anymore. They seemed to have made the same decision as Capcom. Most likely just cross promotion.

Phthisis

Negaiido said:
They have developed games for the 360 and they are gonna be released soon.
So you can't use that reason anymore. Its just really obvious MS moneyhatted them because there is no reason why there wont be something for the PS3 aswell, since the PS3 is still better in Japan if you look at the total sales.

If the last 2 years teach us anything, it's that sales and install base aren't the powerful factors everyone thought they were.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Fucking hell, have you heard yourselves?
Geez, it's obvious what the surprise announcement is..............Driving Emotion II: Type X, Exclusive to 360..........and ummm PC

Eteric Rice

Phthisis said:
If the last 2 years teach us anything, it's that sales and install base aren't the powerful factors everyone thought they were.

Japan seems to be going Wiiward, the US will likely not switch anything anytime soon.

Loudninja

Darth Tigris said:

Umm yeas we did,what are you talking about?

thrasher

Banned
Darth Tigris said:

Didn't the SE present at E3 said its not coming out in Japan?

Top Bottom