• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Son Goku modded into Smash for Wii U

At this point it's more or less a lot of people saying it ironically (I hope).

For what it's worth, this is probably the first model swap I've seen for Sm4sh that seems to work without breaking too hard. Interesting to see things cracked open this soon.

No I think Goku is legitimately wants for the spectacle.

Now if you want almost pure irony Smash picks that would be John Cena and Shrek.

They should have used Mario Castañeda's voice, the only acceptable Goku.

Mario Castaneda is amazing as Goku as well though I do love Sean and Masako Nozawas takes on him as well. Sean is a lot better in Dragonball Z Kai compared to the original dub since they took away all the cringeworthy lines.

Galang

Banned
The video has kind of made me warm up to idea of Goku. Doesn't look that out of place... While it would likely never happen based on what Sakurai has said before, It's silly to completely dismiss anything 100%. A multi billion dollar company can do what the heck they want whenever they want. I'd welcome him, but I'd prefer Gohan if they had to go there...

woopWOOP

Reminds me of browsing the Brawl Vault for Project M modifications pre-SSB4. So many anime model swaps...

There was also this other mod pack which had a whole slew of characters with original movesets, like Scorpion and Cloud. It also had a Goku and Vegeta with beam attacks and all, but ironically those two were really slow and their beams had really crappy reach. There was also a Shadow the Hedghog who, at the press of a button, would flip out and do all these crazy chaos control attacks all over the screen. Shit was so busted and dumb, it was hilarious.

The Boat

For those who want Goku in Smash...

...how about the next best thing!:

latest

don-25.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

I like this game a lot but it has the worst unlock system I've ever seen. It's slot-based and that's only the start of the problem.

I'd rather play Jump Ultimate Stars, aka the best Brawler that isn't Smash.

Anth0ny

Looks rough.

It's a fan project, but Sakurai's attention to detail has spoiled me.

Consider how early we are in Smash Wii U's life. The original Brawl mods looked rough, too.

After years, tons of interest and tons of dedication from talented people, we got Project M, which is polished as a mother fucker. It would be a great day if Smash Wii U modding came that far.

DrArchon

Looks rough.

It's a fan project, but Sakurai's attention to detail has spoiled me.

At this point in Brawl's lifecycle, I'm pretty sure modders were limited to texture work. There might have been some character model alterations (vertex stretching) but most of it looked like dogshit. This looks WAAAAAY better than some of that stuff.

Consider how early we are in Smash Wii U's life. The original Brawl mods looked rough, too.

After years, tons of interest and tons of dedication from talented people, we got Project M, which is polished as a mother fucker. It would be a great day if Smash Wii U modding came that far.
Considering Nintendo's probably more concerned with profits off of selling DLC, I imagine they'll shut down any and all mods that are similar to Project M.

Azuran

Banned
FTFY to use Best Gohan.

I want a game with nothing but Gohan. I think you can fill an entire roster with his ever changing personality and incarnations throughout the series.

DBZ Kid Gohan
DBZ Kid Gohan that kickas Raditz ass for 10 seconds
Teenage Gohan pre Piccolo training
Teenage Gohan post Piccolo training
Teenage Gohan that kicked Frieza's ass those couple of times
Etc..

Sephzilla

I want a game with nothing but Gohan. I think you can fill an entire roster with his various incarnations.

Kid Gohan
Teen Gohan
Adult Gohan
Saiyaman
Mystic Gohan
Trunks Future Gohan
Jobber Gohan (DB Super Gohan)
Yamcha Gohan (Resurrection of F)

Anth0ny

Considering Nintendo's probably more concerned with profits off of selling DLC, I imagine they'll shut down any and all mods that are similar to Project M.

honestly, I'm thinking by the time there's a mod like PM that is worth shutting down, it'll be years from now when Nintendo has moved on from Smash 4, or at least is only concerned with the NX version.

but yes, DLC makes this concerning. I figure as soon as characters and stages are easily moddable... free DLC characters and stages becomes very easy.

This is seriously impressive, because I remember back in the day when it took forever for us to even be able to mod in alternate textures for Brawl.

tbh, the amazing modding scene is one of the most shameless of reasons why I can't wait for Nintendo to drop support for the Wii U asap. A PM equivalent for Wii U would be amazing, and I can imagine adding in new characters is a lot easier than in Brawl since the game is built for an impossibly absurd amount of DLC.

Safros

They should have used Mario Castañeda's voice, the only acceptable Goku.

Eh, no. I can't really imagine more mediocre voice acting than Latin American anime voice acting.
Admittedly, I have heard worse but at least those were so bad that I couldn't help but laugh. E.g. Malaysian dub.

Anyay, I wonder if it would even be possible for Nintendo to get Goku into the game.

Hopefully this means we'll get a Smash 4 version of Project M in a few years. It would help keep the scene strong, and we'd finally get Snake back!

honestly, I'm thinking by the time there's a mod like PM that is worth shutting down, it'll be years from now when Nintendo has moved on from Smash 4, or at least is only concerned with the NX version.

but yes, DLC makes this concerning. I figure as soon as characters and stages are easily moddable... free DLC characters and stages becomes very easy.
It'd would be nice if Nintendo allowed it, but Brawl was far past it's prime when Nintendo called it on PM. Smash4 has legs thanks to its online support, so I would suspect that Nintendo wouldn't let any overhaul mods of that scale take off this time around.

Personally, I feel this right here is a more important and ground breaking mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sR3dBJgw1o&index=2&list=PLP0p0098-cvwv2ZvqULbg7whIGvf6Wz4z

CfJO7dFUAAAB5Q4.png

FLEENSTONES?!

Time to replace all of the music with mimetic mash ups and character textures with random unfitting models. Just like the good old days.

I feel like I'm not getting a reference here.

Okay, so what does wrong-colored Mario have to do with a youtube channel full of videogame music?

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/people/giivasunner

TLDR: GiivaSunner is a channel that uploads music from Nintendo games. It's well known in video game appreciation circles, so some meme loving assholes from the mash up community(spurred on by some flintstone mario rom hack joke) decided to create an identical account to the real guy who uploaded high quality rips, but instead it's filled with memes, music jokes, and shit like that.

The internet's a weird place, but I think it's a neat little escapade, if a bit too meta at times.

FSLink

Banned
So a texture replacement and a sound replacement. Not really that impressive since this existed for a bit on the Wii U already. Sure, it's a step in the right direction but this is amateur stuff. Kinda disappointed since I was hoping to see more breakthroughs in Smash Wii U hacking than just simple swaps.

It's also annoying seeing people think this will lead to a Project Smash 4. It's not that easy, Project M had some crazy homebrew development to get to where it was, and Wii U hacking is nowhere near that level at the moment.

L Thammy

You know, I joke, but I'm really fine with not having Goku in Smash. Just give us a new Jump game instead. And none of that J-Stars nonsense.

Even though I like Smash 4 as it is, I'd be all over a Project M esque mod for it.

According to this, we can have up to 263 alternate skins for each character. And one guy managed to to figure out how to give alts their own voice clips ALA Bowser Jr. and Robin. Tons of potential and flexibility there.

But most of all I'd like to see the lesser characters fixed. At this point in time I can't see Sakurai willing to really help out characters (as in, fixing their core issues) like Zelda, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, etc so it's kinda sad to see them at the bottom forever, as well as seeing Palutena saddled with such a boring and bad default moveset and Duck Hunt stuck with dysfunctional smash attacks and generally no killing moves.

oh and i want project m wario back. shoulder barge >>> bike anyday

Top Bottom