• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Tizoc

That's still kinda how it is now, just it was much less of a grind. It also varies if you played online or the other modes the game had to offer cause you also got SEGA Miles from those as well.

Collecting all the items wasn't bad, but I know grinding for the platinum license was tedious, though.

Ah, I need to work on this tomorrow when I install the rental Sonic Transform I'll be picking up for 360. My disc is scratched, but once I install the game to the 360 I'll be able to play again. Dreamcast VMUs were so fun to use, as was the Tamagotchi Chao Garden.
Getting the last License wasn't a problem for me since my nephews would always play the game at a family get together =P

Really liking the track design. Afterburner, Skies of Arcadia, Starlight Carnival, all great fun. The new Jet Set Radio stage in particular had me say "woah" the first time around.

That said, a lot of the game feels kinda lifeless. The presentation is just really lacking, and the characters themselves are very stiff as well. Most of them don't even look happy during their win poses. Then there's poor, flagman Ristar. Looks like an animatronic.
In an unexpected twist Shadow the Hedgehog smiles away like it's Christmas morning when he wins a GP, it's actually quite unnerving, in all my years of playing Sonic games i've never seen him with a joyful smile.

Fucking finally unlocked Ages. Never touching World Tour Mode again, though.
It's the ultimate relief.

Berordn

In an unexpected twist Shadow the Hedgehog smiles away like it's Christmas morning when he wins a GP, it's actually quite unnerving, in all my years of playing Sonic games i've never seen him with a joyful smile.

Seeing him on the winners podium at the end probably took ten years off my life.

216 stars now... I think I may have hit my limit. Traffic attack is no fun.

Yeah, fuck traffic attack.

Thank heavens for the gloves. I've already completed two traffic attacks on A Class and they're a right ball ache. The second one (Panzar Dragoon) would've been impossible was it not for the baseball gloves. If you can grab a super one of them, just blast through all the cars until it runs out. It's still a pain in the arse though, I find these the hardest missions.

Also, does Danica Patrick bug anyone else as much as she does me? I didn't really care when she was announced, but I can't help but think "WHY IS SHE HERE" whenever she over-takes me in a race. For a game as retro and nostalgic as this wants to be, seeing Danica Patrick in her stupid hot wheels car (or as I like to call it, the sell-out-mobile) really bugs me. Bah humbug and all that. Also, still getting All-Star moves in second place. That comment about not needing a blue shell style item is great, since I think this is far worse. I don't remember being this frustrated with the first game. :(

Sadly, on Expert, you won't get any item boxes anymore for Traffic Attack. So good luck with that.

Also, I am less bothered by Danica Patrick than I am with Ralph. I can understand both characters and why they are there, but honestly, Danica at least represents the Daytona games, while Ralph is just random as fuck cross-promotion.

Anyway, I'm at 130 stars, 4-starred almost all the Ring Race courses (fuck the Panzer Dragoon and Nights ones though), and 3-starred a couple of other stuff. I have no idea how I am supposed to unlock Reala/AGES, let alone that 180 star console mod. At this point, the game is becoming infuriating and frustrating, and I don't have much fun anymore when getting punished so hard by the AI of the races and traffic attack missions. The only things left for me are some of the Drift and Boost challenges, and even those occasionally just seem random as hell to me.

kvothe

My roommates and I play a lot of Mario Kart on the Wii, but I've been itchin' for a change. I'm sure it will, but would this game satisfy my 4 player split screen kart-racin' craving? How many courses are there?

My roommates and I play a lot of Mario Kart on the Wii, but I've been itchin' for a change. I'm sure it will, but would this game satisfy my 4 player split screen kart-racin' craving? How many courses are there?

There's 20 courses, 4 battle courses, and the Outrun course when getting the Limited Edition.
Honestly, it's a really fun kart racer, and while the amount of tracks seems low in comparison to recent Mario Kart games, the courses are incredibly variable and dynamic, have multiple routes, and the physics change with the different transformations.

If you and your roommates like Mario Kart, you guys'll love this game for sure.

That said, unlocking some of the characters is frustratingly difficult (i.e. see my post above), and there's no alternative way of unlocking them.

Bog

Junior Ace
Had a feeling something was wrong with Boost Mode. I didn't see how it was possible to still be failing (even on EASY) since I was hitting every single pad and using my items during the downtime. Awesome to see that I can't move on in Career Mode until they decide to fix it.

Boogiepop

Just played the crap out of this last night. Played a ton of World Tour mode with 4 other people (hooray 5 person local!) and had a ton of fun. Got up to just over 70 stars, got a number of 3 stars in the process. It's interesting how some stuff becomes easier and works great with 5 people in the game, and then you have Drift challenges where everyone is knocking each other out of the way and traffic attack where they're bumping each other into cars and having no idea what to do with the damn ice the game gives you (which of course flies into you friends instead of the enemy cars.)

Still, just a ton of fun.

Berordn

Had a feeling something was wrong with Boost Mode. I didn't see how it was possible to still be failing (even on EASY) since I was hitting every single pad and using my items during the downtime. Awesome to see that I can't move on in Career Mode until they decide to fix it.

Fail four consecutive times on C rank and it'll let you bypass it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Shadow's new voice actor is kinda...odd. Doesn't sound like Shadow, kinda sounds like an anime character I can't put my thoughts on. Also a vampire.

Voice isn't bad, just it's the wrong voice for Shadow.

Bog

Junior Ace
And do the other consoles' framerates take a 'Bayonetta PS3'-esque dive during the water section of the one Sonic course? On Wii U here. Wondering how annoyed I should be.

quick question on the back of the box why does it say only 2 wii motes are allowed at a time? I assumed we could use 4 wii motes and nunchucks?

just a typo?

Also, I am less bothered by Danica Patrick than I am with Ralph. I can understand both characters and why they are there, but honestly, Danica at least represents the Daytona games, while Ralph is just random as fuck cross-promotion.

I wouldn't say Ralph is completely random, he's better than Danica, since he's supposed to be a video game character and his movie is mostly about a racing game. Danica has nothing to do with video games to my knowledge. It'd be better if the character from Wreck-it-Ralph was the actual racer from the movie, but people who hadn't seen the movie wouldn't recognize her.

Boogiepop

quick question on the back of the box why does it say only 2 wii motes are allowed at a time? I assumed we could use 4 wii motes and nunchucks?

just a typo?

Yup, 4 wiimotes+ nunchuck and the gamepad can all be used at once for 5 person local.

Also, has anyone else had issues with the WiiU version locking up? I weirdly had about 5 lockups last night during a long long multiplayer play session, but none before that.

Oh, and are the time trial races supposed to have empty item containers? Seems weird to hit the item box and get nothing.

I wouldn't say Ralph is completely random, he's better than Danica, since he's supposed to be a video game character and his movie is mostly about a racing game. Danica has nothing to do with video games to my knowledge. It'd be better if the character from Wreck-it-Ralph was the actual racer from the movie, but people who hadn't seen the movie wouldn't recognize her.

Again, I understand his inclusion, given the cross-promotion thing going on. But it still bothers me more than an actual driver who basically represents a gaming series by Sega. I will never touch Ralph ever, I just do not have interest in his movie or him as a character.

That said, they could've just made Hornet a playable character for Daytona, but then again AGES has the Hornet as its car mode, so eh.

Berordn

Shadow's new voice actor is kinda...odd. Doesn't sound like Shadow, kinda sounds like an anime character I can't put my thoughts on. Also a vampire.

Voice isn't bad, just it's the wrong voice for Shadow.

I kind of like it. Almost like they're embracing his Poochie nature. I can't pin down where his quotes are from though. All the other Sonic characters seem to just be reusing VA from Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors, not sure where some of Shadow's lines are coming from.

Again, I understand his inclusion, given the cross-promotion thing going on. But it still bothers me more than an actual driver who basically represents a gaming series by Sega. I will never touch Ralph ever, I just do not have interest in his movie or him as a character.

That said, they could've just made Hornet a playable character for Daytona, but then again AGES has the Hornet as its car mode, so eh.

I'm the reverse, I'm bothered more by this random person who has nothing to do with video games at all being in the game, than a video game character who at least was in a movie about racing games that had multiple Sega characters in it. It makes sense that Ralph would be in a racing game, because he spent most of his movie in one.

Kokonoe

Banned
I kind of like it. Almost like they're embracing his Poochie nature. I can't pin down where his quotes are from though. All the other Sonic characters seem to just be reusing VA from Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors, not sure where some of Shadow's lines are coming from.

They are brand new as the only thing he said in Sonic Generations was "You got thissssss...Sonic!"

dock

The cheap price point and strong reviews on this make me consider it as a Wii U game.. Or should I get the PS3 version instead? Is the Wii U one okay? Is there off screen play?

OMG Aero

They are brand new as the only thing he said in Sonic Generations was "You got thissssss...Sonic!"
The worst thing about Shadow in this game is that since they changed the Sonic character's voice actors they can no longer reuse Shadow's NOOOOOOOOOOOOO hilariously like they did in the original game.

I was on the stage with the purple track in space (name forgets me right now) online and I had a real nasty bug, the track was not appearing below me as I raced but below everyone else... so when I was alone on the track not near anyone it was invisible.

Only seen it happen once but it was a real bitch, I did finish 4th by aiming myself at the floating booster arrows in the distance lol

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Also, does Danica Patrick bug anyone else as much as she does me? I didn't really care when she was announced, but I can't help but think "WHY IS SHE HERE" whenever she over-takes me in a race. For a game as retro and nostalgic as this wants to be, seeing Danica Patrick in her stupid hot wheels car (or as I like to call it, the sell-out-mobile) really bugs me. Bah humbug and all that. Also, still getting All-Star moves in second place. That comment about not needing a blue shell style item is great, since I think this is far worse. I don't remember being this frustrated with the first game. :(

Amusingly you can tell how much Sumo gave a shit about her from the announcer pronouncing her name wrong every two out of three times.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Wii U GamePad features useful? Still debating getting this game or not.

Are the Wii U GamePad features useful? Still debating getting this game or not.

Pad has a map and a rearview mirror...in other words its useless since if you're looking down, you've already crashed. It does have pad play though, but I find the game lame to play on it. There's also a really shitty game-breaking bug on the Wii U version that still hasnt been patched.

mr stroke

Pad has a map and a rearview mirror...in other words its useless since if you're looking down, you've already crashed. It does have pad play though, but I find the game lame to play on it. There's also a really shitty game-breaking bug on the Wii U version that still hasnt been patched.

Which is?

Berordn

Which is?

Boost Challenges in the world tour and the Wii U exclusive minigames were broken by the game's mandatory patch on boot. S0L says that they're already fixed in a patch that's with Nintendo but it hasn't been rolled out yet.

The boost challenges can be bypassed to let you continue (though you'll hit a wall without the stars you get from them eventually), and you can just avoid playing the Wii U minigames, I guess. GP mode seems to be unaffected, but World Tour is where a lot of the solo gameplay is.

So I take it this game is good?

Yes, it is. Best kart racer of this gen and definitely the most inventive + exciting.

The tracks are very dynamic and changes which keeps it varied. Every track is from a different Sega franchise so that also keeps it fresh.

I was worried about the chugging framerates like the first one, but it feels much better in Transformed.

Yes, it is. Best kart racer of this gen and definitely the most inventive + exciting.

The tracks are very dynamic and changes which keeps it varied. Every track is from a different Sega franchise so that also keeps it fresh.

I was worried about the chugging framerates like the first one, but it feels much better in Transformed.

Split screen for PS3, right? And it's $40?

Berordn

PS3 version (and the other two, I'm sure) support split-screen just about everywhere in the game, and of course there's online with voice chat too.

Boogiepop

Man, I really suck at the Burning Rangers stage. So much boat+corners, tight drifting, and those dang see through tanks or w/e that I keep thinking are part of the track before running right into them. Also, I knew Burning Rangers was a firefighting game (with an awesome theme song), but looking at this stage it must be a rather... extreme firefighting game. Wish Sega would actually rerelease this one so I could give it a try.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member

That's no good, hopefully it's patched soon.

Berordn

Man, I really suck at the Burning Rangers stage. So much boat+corners, tight drifting, and those dang see through tanks or w/e that I keep thinking are part of the track before running right into them. Also, I knew Burning Rangers was a firefighting game (with an awesome theme song), but looking at this stage it must be a rather... extreme firefighting game. Wish Sega would actually rerelease this one so I could give it a try.

Burning Rangers was a FUTURE firefighting game. And obscure enough that I'm seriously surprised and pleased that they got any representation at all.

Also that theme remix <3
hyper burning rangers go

Kokonoe

Banned
Missed opportunity in this game for most of the Sonic cast to go "it looks like a homing attack!" when the homing weapons come into play.

TyX9B.gif

The worst thing about Shadow in this game is that since they changed the Sonic character's voice actors they can no longer reuse Shadow's NOOOOOOOOOOOOO hilariously like they did in the original game.

"NuOOOOOOOGH..!"

He did say a few other things, but only if you were bad enough at the Shadow battle.

They might be from Free Riders, though. Apparently that was the first game the new cast did work for.

Agh...I can't stand this voice, but some of these are in Sonic Transformed now that you mention it.

Okay. Not sure if anyone else has figured this already, but I've 100% repro'd the glitch with players spawning in the boat (when the level begins on land.) Basically, you restart the race / mission just as your vehicle begins transforming. No idea how it was missed / not fixed during development. I wonder if it works for planes too... Free bug for your patch S0L, if you're reading. :)

Edit - Actually seems tougher to do than I initially thought, so it's understandable how it might have been missed. It doesn't seem to do it with planes, just with the boats. Sometimes the NPCs will also spawn in boats while on land when doing this.

Smilax

How many characters can I unlock if I only do Rank A missions on World Tour? There are some that seem impossible to do on S. [Traffic Attack for example. :<]

Top Bottom