• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom: even more characters revealed

Ivan 3414

How come 92% of them are all wearing gloves?

Are gloves and fingerless gloves some sort of requirement for the sonic world? Is everything really that dirty?

Nearly all the Sonic characters wear gloves, even during Genesis days.

Mario's main character's wear gloves too.

Cartoon characters wearing gloves is very common. Wearing gloves and being edgy are mutually exclusive.

NMwTcM9.gif

Z3M0G

I don't see what the problem is here... it seems they are trying to establish a grounded universe for the franchise. How can this be anything other than a good thing? Why refer to them as "friends"?

These look nice.

Of course, "Sonic should not have a world full of characters".

Wait, why not?

NotLiquid

They do have names and most of them will be in the game.

Old Tucker, Hayward, Salty, Pepper, Q-N-C, Hokey, Pokey, Perci, Foreman Fred, Doc Ginger, Cliff, Chef Woody, Fastidious, and Mayor Fink,--respectively.

Yeah, we've seen the robot in a small sequence in the game.

Again, it doesn't strike me as the forefront here. I would probably be a lot more annoyed if they were billed as playable characters or some such but to fill out a Saturday morning cartoon cast (yes, including the game since it is based off of the show after all) it's not really that much of a thoughtful thing.

Wait, why not?

It was in jest.

Sacul64GC

Banned
I cant believe people are reacting like this over obvious NPCs. Why are some acting like they are playable main characters? The designs are not even that bad.

Dawson is upset

mLTw0bz.jpg

6rqYVDy.jpg

Honestly, all these characters look better the mainline characters and their main audience is not us, but a new younger audience that hasn't met Sonic. Are they just going to let bad Sonic fanart die with our generation? I THINK NOT.

Because they could have easily been in another game, ie a new IP instead of trying to give Sonic a terrible redesign and making a game that doesn't feel like Sonic.
This is true.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Now the question is... Who is brave enough to go and check?

Me, what's her name and I will check.

Aren't these characters for the TV show? It would make more sense to me if so... but if they're going to be part of the game then they're going to be relegated to NPCs. So, how is this necessarily a bad thing, exactly? It's filling the world they live in.

Because they could have easily been in another game, ie a new IP instead of trying to give Sonic a terrible redesign and making a game that doesn't feel like Sonic.

Would you prefer they lived with humans again ala Sonic Adventure?

Well if they do it how Unleashed did it then yes.

The designs are well done, they have a nice Disney vibe to them and don't have that terrible "extreme" feel to them. Cautiously optimistic about the characters.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
These are NPCs, so what's the fuss? Was the "Sonic Boom universe" supposed to be empty?

Edit: and the design of some of them is quite nice.

L~A

I understand Sonic hate, but...

1. We don't know if any of these are playable or even side characters. Could just be extras.
2. Not Sonic Team
3. Could be characters from the TV show.

Calm down everyone.

They're all in the game, official blog says so.

Silky

Banned

There are plenty of Sonic titles that don't feel like a traditional Sonic game. the Sonic series is huge and Sonic has tackled multiple genres. this isn't a mainline game.

What's your point?

daveo42

Banned
The character designs aren't bad, but I still shake my head at that female hedgehog mess. Maybe they should have just stuck to making a new cartoon instead of a game if they wanted to include such a large cast of characters.

At this point I'd rather take a solid cartoon about Sonic over what this game is becoming.

Popetita

Banned
Who are these people making these decisions?!

Did they even 'know' Sonic before this? Damn are they out of touch with what made it, could make him great.

Generation was a good game. This sucks. From the impressions to this..this crap? Generic versions of Fievel characters in Sonic? WTF

SykoTech

What is everyone crying about? These look like random NPCs and background characters, except maybe that one girl. Maybe. Do you guys want a Sonic world populated with realistic humans instead of cartoony animals or something.

And then there's someone even blaming Sonic Team for this. Talk about not having a clue.

Granted, I think Sonic Boom (both the game and the cartoon) is going to suck. But some of you are just complaining for the sake of it.

ZeroGravity

These are so awful, but I don't know what else I expected.

You don't need an entire fucking town of characters in a Sonic game. Keep it simple.

Hmm... They're actually alright, I suppose. But damn do they resemble existing cartoon characters a little bit too much. Still, I guess that's just the art, and that they'll look more unique in game... Right...?

Silky

Banned
I don't get the 'humans' complaint. Sonic Unleashed has shown that Human characters meld in very well with the Sonic aesthetic.

tXw0xS0.png
98px-Pickle,_Professor.png

Miles ahead of Sonic Adventure and Sonic 06.

This whole game seems to built by marketing guys instead of developers.

No sane marketer would invest in a Sonic animated series. Let's be real.

maxcriden

They do have names and most of them will be in the game.

Old Tucker, Hayward, Salty, Pepper, Q-N-C, Hokey, Pokey, Perci, Foreman Fred, Doc Ginger, Cliff, Chef Woody, Fastidious, and Mayor Fink,--respectively.

Pokey?! I'm surprised Nintendo is allowing this.

Pokey.png

Pokey_%28Super_Mario_3D_Land%29.jpg

This is a classic, iconic Nintendo character. (Unless this is actually the same Pokey, I can't load the new Sonic character images at work.)

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I think these designs actually look really great. What sucks is that they're being wasted on a sonic game.

I'd love to see a game done in Ubiart with these characters though.

Well the turtle is cool. The robot looks good too, but you just KNOW they're going to give him that "annoying" shitty voice. The only person that pulled that off was Nolan North. Sonic Boom needs Nolan North.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ah, the classic "from an entirely different clashing art style" school of thought when it comes to rounding out a cast of characters. Also known as "the fucking amateur hour route". Shite. The only ones that work really is the chef, old cowboy, and I guess the generic farmers.

nded

Are these for the cartoon or the video game? This seems like a bunch of background characters, which doesn't seem particularly offensive to me.

well good thing it's a completely different continuity/universe in it's own and that Sonic technically has two seperate universes already (game and comic)

I'm probably missing some but I think we're up to 9 or 10 depending on how SatAM & Archie are classified.

Game
Boom
AoStH
SatAM
Underground
X
Movie (90's)
Movie (2010's)
Archie
Fleetway

MrBadger

I think I'm ready to write my Sonic Boom review. "Awful combat, slow, boring gameplay, but stoned hippos so 10/10 100/100 best game"

I don't get the 'humans' complaint. Sonic Unleashed has shown that Human characters meld in very well with the Sonic aesthetic.

tXw0xS0.png
98px-Pickle,_Professor.png

Miles ahead of Sonic Adventure and Sonic 06.

While I agree, it is kind of weird how Sonic and co. are the only anthro animals wandering around a human populated world with nobody really batting an eye.

Top Bottom