• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom: even more characters revealed

Remark

Banned
This is my reaction

14710870224_57f207c139.jpg

Duck Sonic Toon, crap game that we didn't need. Just give me my proper Sonic game from Sonic Team.

Still can't believe that this garbage is the third Wii U Sonic exclusives.

They still approved this garbage though.
It's pretty obvious they don't really care about the Wii U exclusive, they already know it's gonna sell like shit so might as well just go all out :hah:

Also if you consider the current new characters in the comic book:

255px-Relic_the_Pika.jpg

Razor_Introduction.jpg

These fit in fine.
To be truthful, Relic don't look half bad. She looks like she could live in the Sonic universe(she isn't over-designed).

Razor, on the other hand, looks like some fanfic character you'd find from a 14-year old artist on DeviantArt, complete with a wall 'o text bio in the description.

They look like Disney-tier characters, much better than the likes of Rouge, Shadow, Big, Silver, etc.
That's kinda why I don't mind the new character designs(or should I say, new supporting character designs). They don't ape the hell out of the "let's be as edgy, hip and kewl as possible, because.... YOUTH POP CULTURE!".

Spinluck

A lot of those designs are blatantly Disney.

No question.

They played it pretty safe.

This, but people have to overreact in a Sonic thread.

These characters look much better than characters Sonic Team has created over the years actually.

You are correct, I cannot remember the last Sonic character Sonic Team created, but we can look at the Werehog and Chip for reference.

They look like Disney-tier characters, much better than the likes of Rouge, Shadow, Big, Silver, etc.

How does that make the art style any better? Serious I dare you to come up with a competent argument. How does this work with Sonic better than Yuji Uekawa's designs? Yuji's designs barely had clothes and they still had more character and life than these.

I could see these characters at an abandoned Chuck E Cheese.

NR1

I just breezed by the 9 pages, and I am shocked that this image hasn't been posted. NeoGAF, you have disappointed me tonight...

sonic_cycle.jpg

Spinluck

I just breezed by the 9 pages, and I am shocked that this image hasn't been posted. NeoGAF, you have disappointed me tonight...

sonic_cycle.jpg

It's because it has no relevance, none of these characters are playable, and this is also about a TV show.

KingJolly

Banned
and many people thought Sonic Boom was going to be good because it's not being made by sonic team. Hahah delusional people.

i don't mind friends in sonic games When they actually control in a fun way.
Exemples of good friends gameplay :
-Tails in sonic adventure
-amy in sonic adventure
-Blaze in sonic rush

Exemples of bad friends gameplay:
-Shadow in shadow the hedgehog
-Silver
-Knucles/rouge in the adventures games
-BIG THE CAT( oh god kill it with fire !! )

I don't mind friends, as long as the game still feels like a sonic game
I also enjoyed Knuckles Chaotix
That's kinda why I don't mind the new character designs(or should I say, new supporting character designs). They don't ape the hell out of the "let's be as edgy, hip and kewl as possible, because.... YOUTH POP CULTURE!".
Believe it or not but pop culture lends a lot to Sonic, and I actually prefer it like that. I like that the characters are colorful, funky and whatnot.

Like the new designs are so anti-Sonic and dull looking it hurts.

sonic_cycle.jpg

How is any of this accurate or relevant?

So basically sonic boom is what happens when sonic team (I know it's not the same people) copy uncle grandpa. Oh god this is literally all my nightmares coming to life.

Village

To be truthful, Relic don't look half bad. She looks like she could live in the Sonic universe(she isn't over-designed).

Razor, on the other hand, looks like some fanfic character you'd find from a 14-year old artist on DeviantArt, complete with a wall 'o text bio in the description.

To the bolded, you mean that thing they have been doing since sonic 1.

As far as razor, goes, I get the feeling this is a " every character that isn't happy and sun and looks like can actually fight is egdy teen trash " kind of thing

Don't know if I should be excited or disappointed.

I also wonder why its so common for cartoon animal characters to wear gloves.

Anyway my expectations remain safely low so more news even like this is welcome.

No searching involved, official rule 34 site. People were making bets in this thread how soon it would show up.

...The point just flew over your head.

sonic_cycle.jpg

oh look the sonic cycle well i guess we should all go home this guy sure showed all of us hahahahaha

moron

I hope that -someday- Archie Comics just does to Sonic what they're doing with their other franchises.

I would totally read an "Afterlife of Sonic" series and a "dark spin off" of that where Sticks and Rogue investigate the paranormal. Almost all of Sonic's friends are UNDEAD ZOMBIES and Robotnik is trying to summon a Cthulu-esque horror to end the world... actually, that sounds kind of awesome....

HUELEN10

I hope that -someday- Archie Comics just does to Sonic what they're doing with their other franchises.

I would totally read an "Afterlife of Sonic" series and a "dark spin off" of that where Sticks and Rogue investigate the paranormal. Almost all of Sonic's friends are UNDEAD ZOMBIES and Robotnik is trying to summon a Cthulu-esque horror to end the world... actually, that sounds kind of awesome....
That kinda happened already in super special 12.

None of these character designs are great. I enjoy the beaver's expressions, the testes-chin Smurf-face thing on the right, and the rule #34 of Perci—maybe the cowboy, too—but it's all as calculated and stiff to animate as anything from SatAM. Now imagine these designs in 3D!

sparkzero

They don't look like they belong in Sonics world. But then again, the whole Sonic Boom game/tv-show doesn't look like a Sonic game/tv-show at all.

IDK why "Sonic's shitty friends" is even a thing to begin with. With near literally any other franchise people are fine with new characters. You never see anyone complaining about Mario's shitty friends for example.

I think it basically has a lot to do with the quality of the games.
People seem to want more characters in mainline Mario platformers because they don't associate any SMB side-characters (Wario, Daisy, Rosilina, Yoshi, etc.) with bad franchise ruining games like the Sonic Adventure Series, Sonic Heroes, or Shadow The Hedgehog.

The only Super Mario character that comes close to being as loathed as any non-Genesis STH character is Bowser Jr. because he's generally associated with Super Mario Sunshine (which, despite being critically acclaimed, is probably the most unpopular mainline Mario game among fans and the general gaming audience), and he also replaced the fan favorite Koopalings until late-2009.
Funny thing is...many casual and hardcore Mario fans have started to warm up to the little guy after the Galaxy series came about.
:p

Kiote

lol I really don't know why this is surprising to anyone. This is a Game and Cartoon series aimed at Kids.

Also, it's an Action Adventure Game. It's going to need NPCs.

I think it basically has a lot to do with the quality of the games.
People seem to want more characters in mainline Mario platformers because they don't associate any SMB side-characters (Wario, Daisy, Rosilina, Yoshi, etc.) with bad franchise ruining games like the Sonic Adventure Series, Sonic Heroes, or Shadow The Hedgehog.

The only Super Mario character that comes close to being as loathed as any non-Genesis STH character is Bowser Jr. because he's generally associated with Super Mario Sunshine (which, despite being critically acclaimed, is probably the most unpopular mainline Mario game among fans and the general gaming audience), and he also replaced the fan favorite Koopalings until late-2009.
Funny thing is...many casual and hardcore Mario fans have started to warm up to the little guy after the Galaxy series came about.
:p

Who the hell hates on Bowser Jr?!

Percy

Banned
I cannot stop laughing at how shit this all is.

Still waiting for Iron Sheik Robotnik to be an actual thing though.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member

sonic_cycle.jpg

I really wouldn't mind if people started getting banned for posting this. It adds nothing to a conversation and hasn't been relevant since...Unleashed, if you're being generous.

MrBadger

We nearly went 9 pages without someone posting the Sonic Cycle. Oh well.

Seriously, the only games it's actually applied to are 06 and Unleashed. Colours and Gens looked good from day 1, Lost World's problems had nothing to do with Sonic's shitty friends(tm) and this game never really had any real hype. If it sucks it won't be because of these new npc's, regardless of what we think of their designs.

Most of the background art assets look like they were ripped out of Comix Zone. That giant fan looks recognizable. But it was a proof of concept demo.
Yeah, we really have no idea what the game would have been like. But I think the SatAM universe is fascinating, and could have provided for an excellent game. We are really lucky the comic continued past the show, despite its period of complete shittiness.

Baleoce

14713253545_70017ddfc3.jpg

Grandpa hog? xD The stilts are in the genes.

The whole "and friends" thing is becoming a parody of itself now tbh.

ChipotIe

Banned

I saw this part of the video and was gonna post this screen but you beat me to it.

My bosom is swollen with joy over seeing Sai being used in a professional setting. Its been horribly outdated for years but it continues to be the best sketching, inking, and flatting app around (though ms5 surpasses it in a lot of ways these days) though many still don't take it seriously. I really hope the next version teased last year comes out some time soon! I love sai and want to see it succeed.

Top Bottom