• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

AniHawk

Crushed said:
7y6h9gm.jpg
6ypisqp.jpg

6sthr9h.jpg

The US Sonic comic is aimed at the same audience that buys Archie and the same broad demographic that bought the Archie TMNT comic. I think it's pretty bad, and I always did think it was pretty bad, but you can't exactly hand a six year old Maus and expect the kid not to smear shit on your wall for giving him a comic that's way too complicated for him to understand.

I think it's kind of nice that Archie Sonic has lasted as long as it has. There are very, very few comics out there for kids nowadays. Comics aren't just for hipsters and emotionally stunted basement dwellers, after all!

Parallax said:
what the hell is that? people prefer that to the american comic?

Keep in mind he's purposely showing the most hilariously awful parts to get a laugh (infact, that sums up a lot of this thread). The few issues I read a year or so ago were pretty inoffensive, and a bit boring as a result.

Gagaman

D-X said:
It's easy to pick out a bad section of the UK Sonic comic because the backup stories were aimed at a younger audience, and later on the writing became sloppy. However anything written by Nigel Kitching and drawn by Richard Elson or Nigel Dobbyn was pretty damn good.

129.jpg

108.jpg

62.jpg

49.jpg

45c.jpg

45d.jpg

26.jpg

The US Sonic is getting better from the cluster fuck it once was - now that they've swept out the deadwood.
I love how people are completely ignoring these pictures and presuming the fan made STC Online is what the comic was always like. I'll have to scan some pages from the Shinobi, Streets of rage and Golden Axe stories, that may change the tone =)

Scribble

What the fuck? :lol

Anyway, the UK Sonic Comic (Fleetway) is good because it manages to pull off serious storylines WITHOUT making it seem like a bad fanfiction. It actually feels like it takes place in the Genesis Sonic world, and not some dark, post-apocalyptic, unlike-Sonic-in-every-way world. All the side stories tended to be crap, but the Sonic stories and Knuckles stories were extremely good.

Oh, and it probably has the BEST Sonic out of every continuity. In Fleetway, he's an insensitive, smartass bastard. A flawed hero, but not in an emo, fanfictiony way. Amy grows out of her crush on Sonic (Although she does turn into this kind of GIRL POWAH figure, probably something to do with Spice Girls) and Knuckles is mature and intelligent. And Super Sonic is a psycho bastard.

Bioware should seriously read the entire Fleetway collection to see how it should be done.

Gagaman said:
I love how people are completely ignoring these pictures and presuming the fan made STC Online is what the comic was always like. I'll have to scan some pages from the Shinobi, Streets of rage and Golden Axe stories, that may change the tone =)

Consensus: GAF wants to hate Sonic, regardless of the quality the franchise used to be known for back in the day.

Gagaman

Scribble said:
What the fuck? :lol

Anyway, the UK Sonic Comic (Fleetway) is good because it manages to pull off serious storylines WITHOUT making it seem like a bad fanfiction. It actually feels like it takes place in the Genesis Sonic world, and not some dark, post-apocalyptic, unlike-Sonic-in-every-way world. All the side stories tended to be crap, but the Sonic stories and Knuckles stories were extremely good.

Oh, and it probably has the BEST Sonic out of every continuity. In Fleetway, he's an insensitive, smartass bastard. A flawed hero, but not in an emo, fanfictiony way. Amy grows out of her crush on Sonic (Although she does turn into this kind of GIRL POWAH figure, probably something to do with Spice Girls) and Knuckles is mature and intelligent. And Super Sonic is a psycho bastard.

Bioware should seriously read the entire Fleetway collection to see how it should be done.
Couldn't of put it better myself. Sonic was a absolute shit to Tails in STC. :lol

Pureauthor said:
Gagaman, why in the world did you quotebox the whole thing?!
Sorry about that. I've cut out the covers.

Alpha_eX

The UK Sonic the Comic was awesome, sure it had some bad issues but some of the stories were really good, especially the ones based around Sonic and Knuckles.

I'm sure there's a site out there with them all scanned, would be nice to read them again, can't be bothered to dig them all out.

Screenboy

Alpha_eX said:
The UK Sonic the Comic was awesome, sure it had some bad issues but some of the stories were really good, especially the ones based around Sonic and Knuckles.

I'm sure there's a site out there with them all scanned, would be nice to read them again, can't be bothered to dig them all out.

please dig it out! I had collected them from the very first one untill I obviously grew out of it! The nostalgia would be awesome.

Chao

D-X said:
It's easy to pick out a bad section of the UK Sonic comic because the backup stories were aimed at a younger audience, and later on the writing became sloppy. However anything written by Nigel Kitching and drawn by Richard Elson or Nigel Dobbyn was pretty damn good.

I hope you're not saying that those are actual GOOD parts of the comic, because they SUCK HARD.
It's no better than your DBZ storyline: cheap drama (Tails dies and Sonic don't give a shit about that :lol, I guess they revive him with the dragon ba... ehm the chaos emeralds), and super powers.
The drawing is awful too, what's going on with Sonic's neck? Is he a giraffe or something?

Edit: I'm confused, were you posting those because you liked them or not?

Gagaman

http://www.knuckleschaotix.info/other.htm
This website above has zip packs of scans of just about every story worth reading from it's entire lifespan, and then some. The scans aren't amazing but they're readable.

Some favorite pages of mine:
sonic040.jpg

sonic053.jpg

sonic070.jpg

sonic072f.jpg

sonic097.jpg

sonic146.jpg

sonic173.jpg

And quite possibly one of my all time favorite one-off stories:
sonic225h.jpg

sonic225i.jpg

sonic225j.jpg

sonic225k.jpg

sonic225l.jpg

sonic225m.jpg

sonic225n.jpg

Richard Elson (the artist behind all of these stories here) was the main person that urged me to draw as a kid. I don't give a shit if everyone else wants to compare these comics to something like Watchman unfairly, this was my childhood and these comics still hold up well today, to me.

What the fuck is going on in here? I came in here expecting bitching- about Sonic games. Not which of the sonic comics sucks. :lol

To state my stance, I prefer the archie comic because it's based on SATAM, which is the sonic series I grew up on. But, amazingly, I recognise that both were once good comics. (The archie one is getting better, but then a rotten egg sandwhich could make more sensible comics than some of them that were made a year or so ago)

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Segata Sanshiro said:
The US Sonic comic is aimed at the same audience that buys Archie and the same broad demographic that bought the Archie TMNT comic. I think it's pretty bad, and I always did think it was pretty bad, but you can't exactly hand a six year old Maus and expect the kid not to smear shit on your wall for giving him a comic that's way too complicated for him to understand.

I think it's kind of nice that Archie Sonic has lasted as long as it has. There are very, very few comics out there for kids nowadays. Comics aren't just for hipsters and emotionally stunted basement dwellers, after all!
Interesting.

The best thing that Sega was ever responsible for, and Sega fans don't like it.

I suddenly understand their demise so much more clearly now.

Crushed said:
Interesting.

You shut your mouth and go play Virtua Fighter.

Crushed said:
Interesting.

Um, well, *I* don't like it, no. It's good pulpy fun for kids. I'm glad it's out there for the kids, and I guess the kids who grew up with it still like to keep up with it, and that's fine too. After all, there were enough people that couldn't let go of their childhood obsession with that shitty Transformers cartoon to float that fucking terrible Michael Bay movie to massive success.

In celebration of the old school Sonic cartoon nostalgia:

image2eu7.png

For the mods: It's wolf brand chili.

Yes. The American Sonic cartoons and the comics influenced me to become a fan of chili dogs, heh.

Gagaman

Oh, so posting whole comics if they're shit (like that Big the Cat one) is fine but if it's actually good it'll just be ignored? Nice :lol

I'm getting pretty bored of being told everything I liked as a kid that I still like now is only accepatble if it's fucking Transformers and Thundercats (or in the video game case, Nintendo). I get that just about everywhere =(

D-X

DaMainman said:
Truth. You may be interested to know that it's still going... unofficially. The original writers and artists approve of it though.

Uh oh don't bring back that unofficial stuff in here. It really is not a patch on the original AT ALL. The original writers may say that they approve but they're not exactly gonna turn around and say 'nope its crap' after they put that much effort into it.

For those who don't seem to understand the pics with whales are NOT the official comic just a fan comic - they are pretty terrible

FightyF said:
Despite the crappy games since Sonic Adventure 2 (which wasn't that great of a Sonic game, really) there's still this whole world of Sonic Fanfiction on the web.

And most of it still ends up being entertaining, one way or another...

http://sonicandtheknucklespart2read.ytmnd.com/

Sonic fanfiction should be banned in EVERY form. This is what gives Sonic a bad name (aside from the crappy recent games) Like Something Awful said Sonic fans (the kind that write fan fiction, draw erotic furry art) are the scourge of the internet.

Chao said:
The drawing is awful too

Wrong. I admit some of the models weren't always dead on but Richard Elson is a great artist. The evolution of his art throughout the run was astounding.

sonic589.jpg

Anyway trying to crow bar this back into a thread about the DS game the artwork style reminds me of Nigel Dobbyn's Knuckles art.

knuck148.jpg

knuck174.jpg

knuck167.jpg

knuck113.jpg

knuck033.jpg

knuck107.jpg

knuck088.jpg

knuck089.jpg

knuck090.jpg

knuck091.jpg

ethelred

Well, the thread has clearly become nothing but discussions of shitty comic books and whose shitty comics are better, so I'm out.

Crushed said:
Besides, I was like 7 when issue 39 (Mecha Madness starts here!), and the Mecha Madness Special came out. They were so fucking awesome.

http://i5.tinypic.com/6o1kt4w.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://i17.tinypic.com/7yi4vh5.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
Those were the good old days. When Robotnik was Robotnik not Eggman.

Top Bottom