• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

TreIII

Sega1991 said:
Oh boy. The SonicXTails homosexuality jokes.

Those certainly didn't get old 14 years ago.

....What~? :D

If people can still make fun of Batman and Robin a number of decades later, why can't gaming's own "dynamic duo" be subject to the same? :lol

Sega1991 said:
That's not any better.

Is it really that serious, to you? Cuz it certainly ain't to me.

Firestorm said:
What happened to this topic.
Stop making fun of Tails :mad:

Make no mistake, Tails is probably my fave character in the series, and probably the one I would most like to see get some decent evolution in character development, besides perhaps Sonic himself.

But after Sonic Adventure 2, it went all to pot, and they seemed content with doing more to return to the status quo of making Tails' Sonic's lil lapfox, instead of actually, y'know, making him more like Robin to Sonic's Batman.

The only way I can vent is to just poke fun, because what other means is available? Not like the games themselves are all that fun any more...

D-X

It's easy to pick out a bad section of the UK Sonic comic because the backup stories were aimed at a younger audience, and later on the writing became sloppy. However anything written by Nigel Kitching and drawn by Richard Elson or Nigel Dobbyn was pretty damn good.

194.jpg

191.jpg

110.jpg

109.jpg

174.jpg

179.jpg

190.jpg

184.jpg

180.jpg

183.jpg

129.jpg

108.jpg

62.jpg

49.jpg

45c.jpg

45d.jpg

26.jpg

The US Sonic is getting better from the cluster fuck it once was - now that they've swept out the deadwood.

I never was much for StC (haven't read enough of it to really have a preference, really).

But something that I always found endearing about it is the quality of the artwork. Everything looks delightfully hand-painted and the lines and colors are all very solid. Even today, Archie's color work feels so flat and slap-dash.

Himuro said:
Why do you take this so seriously? Jesus Christ. Are you a furry?

Oh, now here's a gem.

I have to be a furry, right? That's the only way this would make any sense, naturally!
emotpseudonz6.gif

I just... argh... did you practice to be this dumb, or did it just happen naturally? I'm so sorry I don't take part in the universal comedy variety hour that is your usual GAF Sonic thread.

Banned
To be fair, some of the Archie Sonic Comic covers are the best I've ever seen from any publisher, mainstream and independent.

Himuro said:
I think you need to lighten up.

Another example of the difference between a Sega fan and a Sonic fan. Ugh.

...You called me a furry. What the fuck am I supposed to do? "HUR HUR, YOU GOT ME, LOL. YOUR MOLDY OLD SONIC HOMOSEXUALITY JOKES I HEARD BACK IN THE 4TH GRADE ARE A-OK TO ME!"

Sciz

Rlan said:
I'll go right into super duper Sonic-nerd territory here, but the Sonic comic has come a LONG way since the shit like "Titan Tails". Ken Penders - the long time writer who seemingly lost his mind in the final years of his run - is gone, and in his place is Ian Flynn - aka an actual fan of the Sonic games and Sonic in general, who realises what readers actually want to see.

None of this Turbo Tails, Tommy Turtle, Many Hands shit that was clogging the drains for a good long while, no multiple writers anymore, it's just [for the most part] him.

They do preview pages for the recent issues, so I'll post some here. He's gotten rid of a LOT of characters who nobody gave a shit about, and makes the comic a whole lot more 'fun' in general. It doesn't take itself too seriously:

I laughed at each and every one of those, which is better than any spinoff branch of the franchise has done for me in a long time. Might have to actually look into the series again.

• they joked that they're looking to raise Big's IQ a few points

They're missing the point of Big.

grandjedi6 said:
You're taking this too seriously Sega1991

When you hear the same "HUR HUR, THEY'RE GAY!" joke for 13 years, you tend to get really, really tired of it. It's like, yeah! That was hilarious when I was 12. But being a Sonic fan you end up hearing that joke come out of the peanut gallery a lot.

If you heard the same joke for 13 years, you'd be pretty annoyed when somebody brought it back up.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sega1991 said:
When you hear the same "HUR HUR, THEY'RE GAY!" joke for 13 years, you tend to get really, really tired of it. It's like, yeah! That was hilarious when I was 12. But being a Sonic fan you end up hearing that joke come out of the peanut gallery a lot.

If you heard the same joke for 13 years, you'd be pretty annoyed when somebody brought it back up.

I've rarely heard that joke made. And even if I did hear it alot there is no reason to get angry like you are. It's just a stupid joke and its just 2 videogame characters. Who cares?

Sciz

grandjedi6 said:
There's a point?

Yeah. He's a poor, simple galoot who knows how to survive in the woods and that's about it. Unfortunately for him, his little pal keeps going missing so he has to venture out into the world to find him. The fact that he keeps wandering into these cataclysmic events in the process is lost on him, and his general obliviousness is what makes him such an endearing and comical fellow.

And as long as you ignore Heroes (because everyone's characterization was shot to hell in Heroes except for Omega, who made it until StH 06 before undergoing a similar gutting), Big is still that way in every one of his appearances. Big's playable sections have never been that good, but as a character he's one of the best additions to the cast of the last ten years.

grandjedi6 said:
I've rarely heard that joke made. And even if I did hear it alot there is no reason to get angry like you are. It's just a stupid joke and its just 2 videogame characters. Who cares?

Yeah, but as a Sonic fan? See it through my eyes.

86r8flt.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sega1991 said:
Yeah, but as a Sonic fan? See it through my eyes.

86r8flt.png
You were right, it IS better than those trash comics.

Sonic is cool.

That said, this game looks a bit weird. The scans show realistic real-world style backdrops instead of the bright colours and geometric tile style of the original sonic games. Western developer attack?

ethelred

PantherAttacks said:
Sonic is cool.

That said, this game looks a bit weird. The scans show realistic real-world style backdrops instead of the bright colours and geometric tile style of the original sonic games. Western developer attack?

Are you sure you found the right scans?

ethelred said:
Are you sure you found the right scans?

No... given everyone's reaction, maybe I have the wrong ones. I'm seeing pics like this one of Sonic walking through a city:

sonicscan4_th.jpg

(I hope posting a small thumnail is ok.. if not, hopefully a mod can remove this)

Lots of shading, dark shadows, soft clouds, limited color palette, detailed texturing on the surfaces. There's Knuckles in a dark cavern, Sonic in a dark metal storeroom with cobwebs, Tails in his lab surrounded by monitors, keyboard and mouse, a soda can, books. Look, even the original post says "In game graphics have a water color look, all hand drawn" which Sonic 1-3 definitely did not have. There's not any blue sky in these RPG pics. The only piece of terrain in these pics with a pattern on it is the loop-the-loop desert shot, but even that pic seems very limited in color compared to:

sonic_greenhill.gif

sonic_marble.gif

sonic_emerald.gif

sonic_chemicalplanet.gif

If I have the wrong pics, then that's a relief.

jman2050

The art has a nice darker tone to it, but at the very least the outdoor green hill like area in-game looks bright and cheerful enough. Bioware even said that they're aiming for both styles throughout the game, or something to that effect.

ethelred

In the article, the developers said that in the first half of the game, the areas will mostly be modeled after actual Genesis Sonic stages. "Classic series elements like loop-de-loops and dash pads add a bit of spice (and some of that speed) to the exploration [...]." About Chronicles having two parts, they specifically mention that Green Hill Zone, Mystic Ruins, and Emerald Town will be included.

Some of the other images on the scans show Green Hill. I think it looks really nice, and it's very bright and colorful.

Honestly, I don't see a huge difference in style between the Sonic Chronicles picture you posted and the picture of Chemical Plant Zone:
PantherAttacks said:

However, that city picture is, according to the article, from the second half of the game, which is said to be a bit darker and has environments outside of where Sonic has been before. I don't think there's too big a reason to worry.

Oh! By the way. Something I forgot to mention when I was typing stuff up before.
• when they talk about combo attacks, there's a bit of detail. One example they give is a "Blue Bomber" -- a Tails/Sonic combination attack where Tails flies Sonic up and then drops him onto a group of enemies.
• they say there will be around 40 combo attacks in the game, and some will involve three or four characters.

Olaeh

PantherAttacks said:
No... given everyone's reaction, maybe I have the wrong ones. I'm seeing pics like this one of Sonic walking through a city:

sonicscan4_th.jpg

(I hope posting a small thumnail is ok.. if not, hopefully a mod can remove this)

Nice. My hype for this game is pretty high right now. Though its still hard to believe a Sonic RPG is being developed by Bioware for DS. I'm a long time Sega/Sonic fan so this is day 1 for me.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
DaMainman said:
Truth. You may be interested to know that it's still going... unofficially. The original writers and artists approve of it though.
I... think that says more about the writers and artists than it does about this "unofficial comic."
s7.jpg

strip_1_1.jpg

strip_1_2.jpg

strip_1_3.jpg

strip_1_4.jpg

strip_1_5.jpg

strip_1_6.jpg

strip_1_7.jpg

strip_3_1.jpg

strip_3_3.jpg

strip_3_5.jpg

oh ho