• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

Firestorm

MiamiWesker said:
Rush is not like classic Sonic, I think most know that. But whatever it is it is really great. The sense of speed and mastering a level is unmatched in any Sonic game.

I do hear people say "Rush is like classic Sonic" which is just plain wrong. I dunno, I didn't hate Rush, but I didn't think it was as great as some people on GAF think it is.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sorry for the unrelated post, but can someone type up the interview with Koizumi in this issue, please?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The 2d stuff looks really great, but the one 3d battle shot I've seen did not look so hot.

Firestorm said:
I do hear people say "Rush is like classic Sonic" which is just plain wrong. I dunno, I didn't hate Rush, but I didn't think it was as great as some people on GAF think it is.

I think people say that cause its 2D side scrolling Sonic and its just the easy lazy way to describe it. Rush does play different, its almost like a racing game where you beat the track, its not really about platforming. I dont know its hard to describe. I love it though.

MiamiWesker said:
I think people say that cause its 2D side scrolling Sonic and its just the easy lazy way to describe it. Rush does play different, its almost like a racing game where you beat the track, its not really about platforming. I dont know its hard to describe. I love it though.

It most definitely IS about platforming, especially the later levels...I don't know how people could have played Rush and said it's a linear "race to the finish" type of game. Maybe the early levels started out that way to ease you into the game's speed but later levels required you to slow down and time your jumps and air dashes

TreIII

sevenchaos said:
The true Sonic canon IMO. Sega fucking fails for not accepting this western interpretation.

Honestly, I couldn't stand that cartoon. Eggman (or Robotnik, for those of you who REALLY care about that sort of thing) has taken over the world. World is in great peril. Sonic, Tails and some random characters all must band together to try and restore "Mobius" to its proper state.

It's as far and away from the original vision of the series (as Naoto Oshima made it) as could be. The "Adventures" cartoon did a far better job, in that light, what with the overly trippy world designs, and a much more lighter context of Sonic's heroics vs. Robotnik's machinations of evil.

But in any case, I'm liking BioWare's rendition of the world. The promo designs have that "crazy world concept that still oddly makes sense, for what it is", which I loved about Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. Keep it up, and this will definitely win me over...

Amir0x

Banned
The 3D stuff looks like someone punched the Elephant Man in the stomach one too many times, and he vomited onto the DS screen

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TreIII said:
Honestly, I couldn't stand that cartoon. Eggman (or Robotnik, for those of you who REALLY care about that sort of thing) has taken over the world. World is in great peril. Sonic, Tails and some random characters all must band together to try and restore "Mobius" to its proper state.

It's as far and away from the original vision of the series (as Naoto Oshima made it) as could be. The "Adventures" cartoon did a far better job, in that light, what with the overly trippy world designs, and a much more lighter context of Sonic's heroics vs. Robotnik's machinations of evil.

But in any case, I'm liking BioWare's rendition of the world. The promo designs have that "crazy world concept that still oddly makes sense, for what it is", which I loved about Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. Keep it up, and this will definitely win me over...

The only true Sonic cartoon: http://youtube.com/watch?v=4x2NbK8IOpQ

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
The 3D stuff looks like someone punched the Elephant Man in the stomach one too many times, and he vomited onto the DS screen
Seriously, that one battle shot is atrocious, even for DS. It reminds me of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, except a lot worse.

Zoramon089 said:
It most definitely IS about platforming, especially the later levels...I don't know how people could have played Rush and said it's a linear "race to the finish" type of game. Maybe the early levels started out that way to ease you into the game's speed but later levels required you to slow down and time your jumps and air dashes

Yes there are platforming elements, especially in the later stages but you can't tell me its the same way the original Sonic games did it, its more of an afterthought in the Rush games.

Y2Kev said:
Seriously, that one battle shot is atrocious, even for DS. It reminds me of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, except a lot worse.

The page is whats distorting the look of the game in that battle shot. It happens in the other shots as well, but it isn't as bad as it is with the 3D one.

I'm sure the game looks great.

acevans2

This game is automatically a joke if it's going to take itself seriously. "The Dark Brotherhood"? Yeesh. I love Super Mario RPG because it is just lighthearted and goofy and knows Mario isn't meant to have serious story.

FightyF

Banned
I'm excited!

Title is kinda iffy, but I have faith in Bioware.

For those thinking that Sonic is the problem...

726civd.gif

The door's that way!

Sonic just needs the right developer/producer who understands what made Sonic successful as a character and as a game series.

For a 3D game, Sonic just needs a fixed camera, proper Sonic physics system, and level design the complements that physics system.

Xavien

Scribble said:
Our UK Sonic comic (Fleetway) was the best Sonic continuity.

I'd agree with this, Sonic the Comic in the UK was probably the best Sonic comic/cartoon out there, it integrated various themes and zones from the master system/mega drive/Sega CD Sonic games (and even had some side-stories based on the Chaotix games).

I've still got most of my Sonic the Comics, including a very old and worn Issue No.2.

I was a complete Sonic geek back in the day.

As for the game itself, if there's anyone that can make a good game with Sonic these days, its Bioware.

Enk

makes good threads.
I liked the darker Sonic cartoon. It felt more inline with the games as opposed to the ADD insanity the other show was. Still I think the best version is the Sega CD's opening catroon. That feels like Sonic to me more than anything else.

Oh here's another clip from the dark Sonic cartoon.

CLICKY

Penguin

Enk said:
I liked the darker Sonic cartoon. It felt more inline with the games as opposed to the ADD insanity the other show was. Still I think the best version is the Sega CD's opening catroon. That feels like Sonic to me more than anything else.

Oh here's another clip from the dark Sonic cartoon.

CLICKY

Sadly if you wanted a Sonic cartoon most inline with the game Sonic X Intro
I would give the nod to this.
Don't like it much but it does pretty much use everything from the Adventure games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QTVAIJgc8
And on the other end of the spectrum. One that I have no idea what it has to do with the games other than having Sonic.

ckohler

I finally got to see some screenshots from this game and they look sweet! I'm looking forward to this even more know. Bioware, don't let me down.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Archie comic at its incredible best:

6s9yej6.jpg

...and the shitpile it eventually turned into over the years:

6pf1u9l.jpg

But at least it's not stupid cheapo Fleetyway (sorry Brits):

8bffo9j.jpg

"NO, ROBOTNIK. YOU ARE THE DEMONS."

AND THEN ROBOTNIK WAS AN EGGMAN.

Xavien

Crushed said:
Archie comic at its incredible best:

*large images*

Titan Tails? Please. If that's representative of the Comic, then it sucks. That story looks like it was ripped straight out of a DBZ episode.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Crushed said:

6pf1u9l.jpg

But at least it's not stupid cheapo Fleetyway (sorry Brits):

8bffo9j.jpg

:lol :lol

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Xavien said:
Titan Tails? Please. If that's representative of the Comic, then it sucks. That story looks like it was ripped straight out of a DBZ episode.
Crushed said:

Reading is fun!

OH MAN, SUPER SONIC VS. HYPER KNUCKLES AND BATTLE ROYAL. I HAD BOTH OF THOSE.

Fun fact: Sonic's real name in the Archie universe is Ogilvy Maurice Hedgehog. I can't imagine why he goes by "Sonic."

jvalioli

Xavien said:
Er... read the line above the picture.

Sonic the Hedgehog had this really awesome mini-series: Endgame. One of my favorites even though I was a Knuckles fan.
sonic47.jpg

sonic48.jpg

This has really turned into a Sonic nostalgia thread.

acevans2 said:
This game is automatically a joke if it's going to take itself seriously. "The Dark Brotherhood"? Yeesh. I love Super Mario RPG because it is just lighthearted and goofy and knows Mario isn't meant to have serious story.

Okay? So you're trying to say Sonic can't take itself seriously?

Just because it says Dark Brotherhood doesn't mean it's going to be taking itself too serious. It can simply just be a name for a new group of enemies that want to takeover the world and since it's Bioware I'm looking forward to a nicely told story at the very least.

I mean why waste the potential?

Firestorm

When I learned of the End-Game thing I was totally hyped. Subscribed to the mini-series right away.

And wow, they finally finished that Mammoth Mogul vs Tails thing? And they did that? God-fucking-dammit. Tails :(

Turbo Tails is win though.

Amir0x

Banned
CowboyAstronaut said:
Okay? So you're trying to say Sonic can't take itself seriously?

Just because it says Dark Brotherhood doesn't mean it's going to be taking itself too serious. It can simply just be a name for a new group of enemies that want to takeover the world and since it's Bioware I'm looking forward to a nicely told story at the very least.

I mean why waste the potential?

Well if he isn't saying it, I am. Sonic can't take itself seriously. That ain't wasting potential, that's avoiding a future filled with geeks legitimately concerned about Sonic and his furry friends continuity.

I think it's safe to say I have the best interest of everyone in mind here.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
Well if he isn't saying it, I am. Sonic can't take itself seriously. That ain't wasting potential, that's avoiding a future filled with geeks legitimately concerned about Sonic and his furry friends continuity.

I think it's safe to say I have the best interest of everyone in mind here.
You know what interest reminds me of?

Banks.

Amir0x said:
I see now, the future is now.

Hey, I didn't care about "continuity," these comics were just really badass stories.

Firestorm

Sonic taking itself seriously in the comics was good. I can definitely live with that. I'm okay with it going the Super Mario RPG route. What I don't want to see is it going the Paper Mario route. I'm sorry, but the Paper Mario games aren't good. The humour is not funny.

Chao

Seriously, I can't believe they sold those comics (and people eventually purchased them).

Hell, even MY Sonic comics were far better than those. And I mean when I was 12 years old, I'm not fucking kidding.

Amir0x

Banned
i think "good" here is a modified standard based on how videogame comics are so bad, they often create a blackhole in time and space. So one that doesn't do that may be confused for quality, but, if you actually read genuinely good comics you would laugh yourself to death.

Of course, you hate Paper Mario so I suppose Sonic comics might be the inker equivalent of Perdido Street Station.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Amir0x said:
i think "good" here is a modified standard based on how videogame comics are so bad, they often create a blackhole in time and space. So one that doesn't do that may be confused for quality, but, if you actually read genuinely good comics you would laugh yourself to death.

Of course, you hate Paper Mario so I suppose Sonic comics might be the inker equivalent of Perdido Street Station.
I love Paper Mario and I liked the Sonic comics.

Top Bottom