• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood in new NP

TJ Spyke

Back on topic.

Other than Big the Cat being playable (did ANYONE enjoy his missions in Sonic Adventure?), it all sounds pretty good.

Crushed said:
Besides, I was like 7 when issue 39 (Mecha Madness starts here!), and the Mecha Madness Special came out. They were so fucking awesome.

Awesome-sauce[img] [/QUOTE]

Those comics were the shit. As a kid there was nothing better than Mecha Knux and Mecha Sonic battling it out.

[QUOTE=Buttonbasher]Some of us enjoy them.
[/QUOTE]

Nice collection. I've lost most of my old ones through various moves.

And as for Big, he will never touch my party, if I can in anyway escape it. I hated those stupid fishing missions. "Froggy?"

Scribble

What surprises me is how much praise the original Sonic Adventure gets.

And don't be shocked about by the comic discussion. Like it or not, this game is a more 'serious' take on the Sonic world. It's only fair that we bring up past attempts at doing it. I'd rather have that than the typical "Oh Sonic has gone downhill, etc etc" and the constant hi-fiving while furry bashing.

Gagaman

Crushed said:
7yi4vh5.jpg
A real shame they couldn't afford/couldn't be arsed to paint these properly, they would have looked so much nicer. I'm not sure how STC is any *less* awesome than this, but whatever, they were both once awesome and both went down the shitter at one stage or another, the only difference being Archie actually kept their comic going and didn't just fall into repeated stories before finally dying off. =(

As for this new game: beautiful concept art, and the background art in-game is very nice. The 3D models do look like a garbled mess at the moment, though.

Gagaman

Scribble said:
At the time, when I was an impressionable teen, SA1 and SA2 blew me away. The flaws were evident but at the time I was really pumped to see what Sonic games in the near future would be like if they improve on what they had there. A shame they still haven't, you know, made any advancements since SA2 in six years =X

Firestorm

Scribble said:

And don't be shocked about by the comic discussion. Like it or not, this game is a more 'serious' take on the Sonic world. It's only fair that we bring up past attempts at doing it. I'd rather have that than the typical "Oh Sonic has gone downhill, etc etc" and the constant hi-fiving while furry bashing.

Well, here some of what you don't want:
I just tried out Sonic 360. OH MY FUCKING GOD WHAT HAPPENED HERE. First level was hardly playable. The boss (I think it was a boss) fight has you running at an even more uncontrollable speed and you get hurt every time you hit a wall... then it stops responding and does some shitty animation.

Does it get better?

Gagaman

Firestorm said:
I just tried out Sonic 360. OH MY FUCKING GOD WHAT HAPPENED HERE. First level was hardly playable. The boss (I think it was a boss) fight has you running at an even more uncontrollable speed and you get hurt every time you hit a wall... then it stops responding and does some shitty animation.

Does it get better?
It gets WORSE.

Snaku

Banned
Gagaman said:
A shame they still haven't, you know, made any advancements since SA2 in six years =X

Forget advancements, they failed to even maintain the status quo with Sonic Next Gen. Sega should just sell Sonic to Nintendo, or maintain a policy of licensing him out to AAA developers. Because they are completely incapable of making a decent Sonic game.

CTLance

Zozz said:
WTF is up with this thread.......
Nothing. Nothing at all.

At first, some guys get the short end of the banstick because sporsk is ill and maybe a bit cranky.
Then, one guy is like, OMG Sonic = furray!!oneone
Others are, like, Nuh-uh!!1eleven
Then someone posts some comics.
Then others are like, arghblrf, and others, like, post some more comics and other pics.
Meanwhile, the rest of the internet is like, wtf.

Just... normal geekery. Business as usual. Nothing to see here. Move along.
I have a Super Mario and a Garfield comic from my childhood hidden somewhere under my bed.

Seriously now do the Sonic Series need more dialogues.

During The Sonic (1-3) series their focus was only on gamplay.The momen Sonic opened his mouth I hated him.

The last Sonic game that i played was Sonic Rush Adventure although it was a good game but the dialogues between the levels was gettting on my nerves and ruined the experience.

Moving to the main point Soinic RPG looks and sound good although save my judgement until I try it.

Firestorm said:

Does it get better?

Firestorm, I will tell you this. I am a huge Sonic fame, so much so that I liked Riders. Sonic 360 broke me. It is one of the worst games ever. Plot holes from hell, bad game play, one of the creepiest love scenes ever, and a final section more frustrating than anything I've ever seen. Run like hell. Leave that game be for the love of all that is holy.

Even Sega prefers to not think about Sonic 06.

Heck, then even came out and apologized.

How often does a company come out and apologize over how bad a game is? :lol

big_z

I was at walmart today and the nintendo power was sitting right there... i was trying to remember which new game was being shown in there, then i remembered and walked away.

sonic.jpg

How often does a company come out and apologize over how bad a game is?

I was pretty forgiving of the game ($9.99 at Walmart) up until Kingdom Valley. I demand a written apology for that damn water speed zone. Inexcusable.

I can sympathize with Sonic fans, in fact I have to admit that I am one. But holy shit, those comics are pretty bad. ALL of them.

Game looks good though.

SonicMegaDrive said:
How often does a company come out and apologize over how bad a game is? :lol
When it's done selling and they want to convince you that the next one "will be really good, we swear."

Wasn't there a bunch of shit about how Sonic 2K6 was going to be a return to the roots for the series? They didn't even put a subtitle on it.

Seriously, don't believe what they say. Sega is like a cheating boyfriend that promises he will stop dicking his coworker, then you drop by his place and he's balls deep in the waitress from the other night. Sure, it's not the coworker, but it's not exactly an improvement.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Don't worry. Soon Brawl will be out and we can wipe all those painful memories of Sonic stuff from our minds.

big_z said:
I was at walmart today and the nintendo power was sitting right there... i was trying to remember which new game was being shown in there, then i remembered and walked away.

sonic.jpg

WTF? o_O

That looks way too "official" to be fan art. What is the story behind this?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I lost faith in the Sonic comics years ago. They started taking themselves way too seriously (before the games did, even) and the supporting cast from the cartoon (whom I never liked, except maybe for the half-robot rabbit) became more unlikable. It was cool when I was a kid and had some cool (if pandering) stories of Super Sonic fighting Hyper Knuckles and stuff. But when they started giving Dr. Eggman a nuclear arsenal and bringing in magical swords and stuff, I lost interest.

There was one story I thought might actually be kind of cool and a neat bit of fanservice: a four-part story featuring a three-way fight between Sonic, Shadow, and Metal Sonic. It sucked. Most of it involved a golden palette swap of E-102 Gamma (I'm serious, a palette swap in a hand-drawn comic book) blabbing on about some long-dead scientists named after classic science-fiction authors and Dr. Eggman launching a nuclear missile or something.

Quazar

Himuro said:
Holy shit.

This thread is why I try to stay far away from die hard Sonic fans. I mean,I love the guy. Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I ever owned. But some of you are weird. I mean, you not only bought Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and the 360/ps3 Sonic, but you actually care about the plot in Sonic and collect Sonic comics.

I'm with Ethelred.

link?

:lol :lol :lol

landfarer

Iam Canadian said:
I lost faith in the Sonic comics years ago. They started taking themselves way too seriously (before the games did, even) and the supporting cast from the cartoon (whom I never liked, except maybe for the half-robot rabbit) became more unlikable. It was cool when I was a kid and had some cool (if pandering) stories of Super Sonic fighting Hyper Knuckles and stuff. But when they started giving Dr. Eggman a nuclear arsenal and bringing in magical swords and stuff, I lost interest.

There was one story I thought might actually be kind of cool and a neat bit of fanservice: a four-part story featuring a three-way fight between Sonic, Shadow, and Metal Sonic. It sucked. Most of it involved a golden palette swap of E-102 Gamma (I'm serious, a palette swap in a hand-drawn comic book) blabbing on about some long-dead scientists named after classic science-fiction authors and Dr. Eggman launching a nuclear missile or something.

Yeah... that was near the end of Karl Bollers' run as writer. He and Ken Penders, the other head writer, got the boot at the end of the #150's, which is why the comic's turned around and become so much better in the last year and a half or so. It's still not quite as good as it used to be, but it's a marked improvement and steadily getting better.

If nothing else Archie should get credit for still calling Robotnik ROBOTNIK at least 70% of the time. Eggman's still more of a joking title.

Iam Canadian

landfarer said:
If nothing else Archie should get credit for still calling Robotnik ROBOTNIK at least 70% of the time. Eggman's still more of a joking title.

I could have sworn that Robotnik was starting to call himself Eggman at some point...then again, it's been years, so my memory is hazy.

Are they still trying to push stupid love triangles with the emotional sophisication of an Archie comic book? (Considering they're published by the same company, I'd say "probably")

Sciz

ShockingAlberto said:
Wasn't there a bunch of shit about how Sonic 2K6 was going to be a return to the roots for the series? They didn't even put a subtitle on it.

The word they kept using was "reinvention", but it's effectively the same thing.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
WTF? o_O

Edited Sonic X screencaps.

Iam Canadian

Oh, and as a fun bit of trivia from the comic book that I actually remember, the Robotnik we see in the comic today isn't actually the real Robotnik. Actually, the current Robotnik is a robotic duplicate from a parallel timeline (or something like that) who replaced the original Robotnik (who resembled the character from the old cartoons) after Sonic killed him in issue 50.

I remember that in the issue the android Robotnik appeared, he had a bunch of satellites (which were literally just TIE Fighters from Star Wars) orbiting the planet. He glued them together or something to make a space station, then Sonic blew it up.

Good Lord, I can't believe I actually remember that.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
SonicMegaDrive said:
DavidDayton said:
Don't worry. Soon Brawl will be out and we can wipe all those painful memories of Sonic stuff from our minds.
I doubt it.

Well, at least I can use Mario to pummel Sonic into a pulpy blue mass. That will make -me- feel better, at least.

landfarer

Iam Canadian said:
I could have sworn that Robotnik was starting to call himself Eggman at some point...then again, it's been years, so my memory is hazy.

Are they still trying to push stupid love triangles with the emotional sophisication of an Archie comic book? (Considering they're published by the same company, I'd say "probably")

Well, they switch up Robotnik/Eggman, but it's still Robotnik most of the time. The fact they're at least keeping the dream alive, as it were, is a win for me. Heh.

And the've cooled down the love stuff a bit, at least the stupid triangles/parallelograms of pain that they usually are. Most of that got lost with Ken when he got fired. Sally's finally recovered from her stupid depression and leads the Freedom Fighters again, and Sonic and her have that old working relationship with the hint of tension, but nothing outright. Which works just fine for me.

Uh, anything else... ah, Bunnie and Antoine got married. But Knothole then got razed into cinders the comic afterwards, so that leveled out the heart score a bit. Heh. Other than that the melodrama's been kind of quiet. It's better that way.

Gagaman

Himuro said:
Holy shit.

This thread is why I try to stay far away from die hard Sonic fans. I mean,I love the guy. Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I ever owned. But some of you are weird. I mean, you not only bought Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and the 360/ps3 Sonic, but you actually care about the plot in Sonic and collect Sonic comics.

I personally have only ever rented most of those, and barely played 360 Sonic on a shop display for five minutes. I couldn't really care much about the story either, but the comics I grew up with did a pretty good job of putting the games into a story context without too much extra baggage. It's not like I collect the comics they do now, I'm just talking about the ones that are sitting in my loft from my childhood.

Harmless mindless fun, you know...like Transformers? You're telling me people don't take those too seriously? :lol

The new generation of young fans raised on the modern Sonic games, however, do quite often freak me out, too. I'll give you that. They quite often make me wish the Internet wasn't free for anyone to use.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
WTF? o_O

Photoshop edit of the recent Sonic anime. I think it originates from somewhere like YTMND or 4Chan. It's defiantly not fan art, although there is shit like that about, and lots of it. The Sonic fan base can be a very disturbing place at times. Please don't throw me in that boat though! I'm just a nostalgic old fool who was raised on a diet of Sonic everything.

jman2050

Gagaman said:
I personally have only ever rented most of those, and barely played 360 Sonic on a shop display for five minutes. I couldn't really care much about the story either, but the comics I grew up with did a pretty good job of putting the games into a story context without too much extra baggage. It's not like I collect the comics they do now, I'm just talking about the ones that are sitting in my loft from my childhood.

Harmless mindless fun, you know...like Transformers? You're telling me people don't take those too seriously? :lol

The new generation of young fans raised on the modern Sonic games, however, do quite often freak me out, too. I'll give you that. They quite often make me wish the Internet wasn't free for anyone to use.

Photoshop edit of the recent Sonic anime. I think it originates from somewhere like YTMND or 4Chan. It's defiantly not fan art, although there is shit like that about, and lots of it. The Sonic fan base can be a very disturbing place at times. Please don't throw me in that boat though! I'm just a nostalgic old fool who was raised on a diet of Sonic everything.

I tread the 'disturbing' part of the fanbase myself at times, mostly because of the communities I chose to associate myself with. It truly is a scary place.

Why couldn't they just give Princess Sally some clothes ;_;

landfarer

jman2050 said:
I tread the 'disturbing' part of the fanbase myself at times, mostly because of the communities I chose to associate myself with. It truly is a scary place.

Why couldn't they just give Princess Sally some clothes ;_;

It's not so much the lack of clothing that's really the problem...

It's more when the fanartists decide to, ya know... ADD stuff that's not really there. ::shudder::

Iam Canadian

In a way, the whole "Princess Sally has no clothes" thing actually kind of makes sense in that it breaks the double-standard that the females wear clothes while the guys go about in gloves and shoes.

Still, though....it wasn't so bad in the original cartoon and the early comics because she hardly looked more human than Chip and Dale, but it became kind of disturbing when they gave her curves and an inflated chest.

I just read up on this game in the issue of nintendo power I just got and wow, this game looks amazing.

first sonic game since Sonic Adventure I am really looking forward to.

Firestorm

I didn't realize until a few days after the 11th how early giggas got this issue. People usually get it around the 20th - 25th don't they? I mean, damn.

giggas

Firestorm said:
I didn't realize until a few days after the 11th how early giggas got this issue. People usually get it around the 20th - 25th don't they? I mean, damn.

Haha, I didn't really think about that. I usually get all of my mags a bazillion years later than everyone else. Not sure where they ship them from, but I always assumed because I was in NJ is why I get them later than everyone else.

Top Bottom