• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Forces - Green Hill Gameplay

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why are there springs underneath the short lips of raised level terrain at the end of straight-aways?

Does Sega think people don't know how to jump?

Aren't they more of a trap if you're trying to beat the stage as fast as possible? Jump too late and you lose all your momentum

Jun Senoue
6925-1349945830.gif

Seriously, his "Classic" style was bad before, but when you compare it to Sonic Mania with Tee Lopes doing the music there, it just sounds extra bad.

He's not involved with Sonic Forces at all, it's Tomoya Othani

FreeMufasa

Wait....this is a remake ting too like generations? Thought this was gonna be completely original.

This is like the 7th sonic game in a row with GHZ

LordKano

Wait....this is a remake ting too like generations? Thought this was gonna be completely original.

This is like the 7th sonic game in a row with GHZ

It's a new game, but it has Green Hill Zone. The first gameplay shown was a completely new modern area.

Graphically impressive, but I don't know...something about it feels off. Reminds me a lot of Sonic 4. They're trying to make this thing and it's not quite right.

Im not against this and I really like 60fps on my Sonic games but why those invisible springs? Are they momentum-killer devices to challenge speedruners?

The physics also seems off with no momentum after the jump or killing enemies. I dont know. The level seems better than Classic GH from Generations but Its clear to me gameplay will have mainly the same feel.

I expect those 60fps in Switch ver aswell.

OnPoint

Does it look like Sonic's too quick to stop after jumping then landing to anyone else? Maybe I'm over analyzing, but right here, it looks like the first jump off the spring is fine, but then the next couple landings are super sudden.

Piers

This music belongs in
acafb9867add74f3e20341401c55b2b3cce3e52a_hq.jpg

Also I thought it was stated that what we saw briefly before wasn't Green Hill Zone?

Probably will be looking forward to that one if it is the sega lookalike one.

If you mean classic, then yeah, it's that one.

This is premature, but I seriously think Mania is enough of Classic Sonic. Make that a subseries and give us a Mania 2 and 3 and 4 for the next 10 years. Forces and other Modern Sonic games should've just been about Modern Sonic like Colours was. Instead of spending time developing two other playstyles, just make more levels and missions, longer ones, too for Modern Sonic and continue to work on those to make sure we don't get any bugs or whatever. I just don't have the same faith in Sonic Team that I do in Taxman and the other Mania developers.

That said, I'm not unhappy with Classic stuff in Forces, I mean I just posted about how fairly nice it looks, but I feel like Sonic Team and Sega are making a mistake here. Let the Modern gameplay stand on its own and help it be the best it can be, and work on Classic projects on the side, that's what I want.

Holy shit this level design is atrocious, and the physics seem to be totally off. Why not reuse what was used in Generations? It wasn't accurate, but it "felt" like it.

And the psudo 3D angles and cool camera work that Generations had feel totally missing, making this feel extremely pieced together - especially with the just...floating ground planes and almost zero alternate paths.

Also, the music's main riff is Splash Hill Zone from Sonic 4 :|

TCKaos

It's probably bad that it looks like a fangame, right? I don't mean that to disparage the Sonic fangaming community, because lord knows they've stepped up their game in recent years, but you'd think that Sonic Team themselves should be able to top them, right?

Or not, judging from Sonic Mania. Not that that's a bad thing, but, I mean, why keep Sonic Team around if the fans are better at making games than them?

MrBadger

Very true. Sonic Cycle isn't a thing, and the Direct gameplay looked fun. When DOESN'T this site knee-jerk and panic!?

To be honest, it's still looking like a blander Sonic Generations to me. But now it's got Sonic 4 music. I'm sure there's a big part we're missing that we'll see at E3 that will hopefully put this into perspective, but this is pretty much what I expected from that footage. And next to Mania, it looks and sounds even more underwhelming.

hatchx

Banned
You guys act like Sonic Team is a reputable developer that often makes good games or something.

Like, 1/10 of their games are 'pretty good'. I expect 65 metacritic and sonic mania to be the far better sonic game this year.

dlauv

I like how the music defies all odds and gets even louder at the 1m27s mark.

Level design looks very banal even for Green Hill although I appreciate that they've seemed to tighten up the physics.

Guess Who

Banned
Or not, judging from Sonic Mania. Not that that's a bad thing, but, I mean, why keep Sonic Team around if the fans are better at making games than them?

When you look at the quality of Sonic Mania, and how well-received it's been, and then compare it to what Sonic Team puts out and how utterly unimpressive it is... surely someone with pocketbook control at Sega has to be asking themselves why they let Iizuka and co. keep doing this shit when half a dozen indie devs are doing a better job.

Sonic gameplay has aged worse than all the complaints of Yooka-Laylee combined. Just get rid of it already. Or make another Kart racer, that was pretty good.

Skronk

Banned
Sonic never looks like he actually occupies space in these new games. He just slides around.

Sega need to take note of what Nintendo has been doing for years and make their characters look like they belong in the world.

To be honest, it's still looking like a blander Sonic Generations to me. But now it's got Sonic 4 music. I'm sure there's a big part we're missing that we'll see at E3 that will hopefully put this into perspective, but this is pretty much what I expected from that footage. And next to Mania, it looks and sounds even more underwhelming.

Sonic Generations reminded me that I preferred Sonic in 2D/side-scrolling spaces, the Rush titles, and the Adventure ones. I didn't think it was great, tbqh.

Ferr986

Weird that Ohtani fucked the music. Maybe he will change it for the final release? He usually changes the arranges of the first stage mid development, Apotos Day music on Unleashed was very different in the E3 demo compared to final (it was more cartoony too).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The music, the gameplay, the looks... It's not right.
This is what happens when a franchise has to desperately cling to nostalgia over and over again when every new idea fails, the attempts to reinvigorate interest are transparent and lacking. Perpetually "off" because it can never find it's footing.

Top Bottom