• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Nert

So there's a chance that I'll be able to play through the day levels of Unleashed, in 1080p/60fps, for free? I love the internet.

(I still haven't touched Unleashed, but I've watched dozens of speed run videos).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As an update to that, just posted today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr-GxSOUpyQ
This looks so wonderful. I'd buy this.

I really want to commend the people doing this. They're doing such a fantastic job so far.

Nabs said:
Holy crap. Hey Sega, I'd pay for that. Just keep those night time stages to yourself.
I'd like the night filters for the aesthetics, just like Generations did for the missions. The night stages can be really pretty, but, well... Werehog.

Sciz

Any talk of porting any Unleashed Wii or Colors levels?

So how possible would it be to port 06 levels into the Generations engine?

Unleashed HD levels only work as well as they do on account of being built on the same engine. I think the collision data is being generated independent of engine considerations, but god knows how well any of the lighting, objects, or scripting would work.

Unleashed HD levels only work as well as they do on account of being built on the same engine. I think the collision data is being generated independent of engine considerations, but god knows how well any of the lighting, objects, or scripting would work.

Dario FF, the guy doing a lot of this work, said that any level could be ported in to Sonic Generations once they figure out the formats all of this stuff is in. They won't port over as smoothly as the Unleashed stages do (since a lot of the object mappings and I think even stuff like camera layouts are already native to the engine), but as long as the person is dedicated to generating new lighting data and re-placing all of the enemies and items by hand... the sky's the limit. Or will be.

Edit: Also keep in mind there's the issue of objects not already in the game's code. Something like Asteroid Coaster or Sweet Mountain would be impossible to 100% port over exactly, as there are level elements in those that don't exist in Sonic Generations. This goes for some Sonic Unleashed levels, too, but it's less of an issue.

Slermy

This looks so wonderful. I'd buy this.

I really want to commend the people doing this. They're doing such a fantastic job so far.

I'd like the night filters for the aesthetics, just like Generations did for the missions. The night stages can be really pretty, but, well... Werehog.

I was always frustrated because the Werehog idea actually wasn't inherently bad. With some polish to the gameplay mechanics, less fights, more music variation, and better level design (adding an extra life right before you're going to die over and over again is not a fix) and it'd be pretty fun. It just felt like it was 3/4s done.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
>get Knuckles mod working
>add punching and shit
>night filter
>????
>Profit
<3 this idea.

But at least he could glide and climb. What does Shadow do?
Finds the computer room.

I was always frustrated because the Werehog idea actually wasn't inherently bad. With some polish to the gameplay mechanics, less fights, more music variation, and better level design (adding an extra life right before you're going to die over and over again is not a fix) and it'd be pretty fun. It just felt like it was 3/4s done.
I'd really prefer if the battle music didn't show up all the time, and the level BGM just flows like it does in the level select hub. The night music is good, so I don't see the need to interrupt it every few seconds since the camera zooms in on the appearing enemies most of the time anyway.

If the encounter rate and enemy amounts were reduced, it wouldn't be too bad, because comboing seems thought out nicely (though it's too bad that you can easily get away with doing the same combo repeatedly, which turns the battle system into inevitable button-mashing).

It just wasn't executed very well in a lot of places.

Christopher

Sonc Adventure 1 is still probalby my favorite Sonic Game.

I thought seeing Sonic in 3D was insane the first time I played it - it blew my mind and I played it for hours.

-The music in the game is amazing
- The awesome intro and various CG scenes were amazing for me at the time
-The amount of variety of gameplay in the game was awesome
- The story was simple, clean, and at the same time was interesteing because it all conntected together....

Has the gameplay aged well? Probably not. I can look past the minor faults and still have a great time with the game even today though. The one think that I think most can agree with me on is that Sonic Adventure's presentation was pretty cool.

SA_logo.png

I think the style is pretty cool.

TheOGB

Banned
Hovershoes.

THIS NEEDS TO BE A FUCKING DISTINCTION BETWEEN SONIC AND SHADOW.

The fuck I need to play as Moody Sonic for? Make him
and every-fucking-body else
distinct characters, not the same generic douche FFS

random rant, but i was thinking about that a few days ago

SA1 was pretty meh to me. I loved SA2, didn't like the Wii Sonic neither Unleashed (except well for the day levels. The night levels nearly drove me insane with their repetitive gameplay and music...Arghl), I loved Colours and I'm currently playing Generations, and boy what an upgrade compared to Unleashed.

Also I'm sure I'm not the only one who smiled broadly when the remixed Sonic R theme started playing ahem racing against Tails.

To be fair, this is something Sonic 2006... ugh... I can hardly say it... "sort-of"-did-right. *swallows back the bile*

Shadow controlled differently. He had an always-functional Light dash (which I think was more of a mistake that Sonic's only worked on specific lines of rings), his handling was different, he could throw stunning Chaos Bolts, his homing attack included additional melee strikes (which would've looked better if the enemies actually juggled or reacted to it), he could "hulk out" as it were and upgrade his bolts, make his homing attack an instant warp, or unleash a huge Chaos Blast, he could use vehicles...

Now 2006 bungled a lot of these things, but they were unique to Shadow and his gameplay.

Story-wise, Shadow's kind of already gone through the wringer. They've had him already swearing revenge against humanity for Maria's death, then the confusion whether or not he actually met Maria to begin with (SA2 said he didn't, Shadow's own game showed he did), then he's implied to die by falling to the planet after saving the ARK. In Heroes he questions whether he's a clone or not, and there's a whole bunch of other clones he destroys (which don't actually get used until Shadow's game). He comes to one of ten ridiculous conclusions about himself at the end of the Shadow game, then they're all retconned by the true ending, where he decides to put the past behind him for good.

He's kind of established at this point; unless you completely gut his gameplay and alter his look, he's not going to get much more different from Sonic than he already is.

To be fair SA and SA2 had some decent ideas for characterizations, Heroes did away with all that ever since (and in Shadow's case, his own game did more damage)
HEY KNUCKLES! ISN'T THERE SUPPOSE A MASTER EMERALD YOU'RE SUPPOSE TO BE PROTECTING?!

Bioware had something of the right idea, though I'm kind of hoping that the HTF writers get a chance to properly flesh them(the characters) out one of these days...so long as they have to write another Generations-like story.

actually I just realized my error, I meant "so long as they DON'T have to write another Generations-like story."

and by that I mean that there should a bit more substance like Colors had.

I think Station Square struck the right balance of size and exploration without it being too big to be unwieldy (like Sonic 2006, where you just had these massive empty spaces that just added travel time - especially Soleanna Forest).

I also am like, one of 4 people on planet earth that was okay with walking around Unleashed's "village" areas.

I think Station Square struck the right balance of size and exploration without it being too big to be unwieldy (like Sonic 2006, where you just had these massive empty spaces that just added travel time - especially Soleanna Forest).

I also am like, one of 4 people on planet earth that was okay with walking around Unleashed's "village" areas.

I don't get the hate for Unleashed Hubs either. They were simple as fuck, looked beautiful, and had the perfect music and atmostphere. Hell the Generations hub is wayy more of a chore to walk through, most of the time I have no idea which section some of the platforms are taking me, if I can even manage to control my movement into the right branching path. God help me if I went the wrong way and wanted to reverse.

But yeah, Unleashed hubs were great, hell some sections even had mini platforming areas. The World map > Load > Hub > Load > Stage Hub > Load, did get irritating however.

Nert

I'd be happy if they just made the "hub" stuff in the style of Sonic Colors. The less time I have to spend not actually playing the game, the better.

JonCha

I'd be happy if they just made the "hub" stuff in the style of Sonic Colors. The less time I have to spend not actually playing the game, the better.

And do a knock-off of the Toad house, but with Tails, where you can buy 'upgrades' for Sonic like you can in Generations.

RobbieNick

I liked the humans in Unleashed. They were much more cartoony looking and fit better with Sonic's world. You could believe that these were the same humans as Eggman. The only problem I really have is that there were no talking animals walking around as well. It would have fit in better. I mean, look at the earth in DragonBall. Talking animals and humans interacting in the same world, living in the same cities. Just makes sense.

I don't get the hate for Unleashed Hubs either. They were simple as fuck, looked beautiful, and had the perfect music and atmostphere. Hell the Generations hub is wayy more of a chore to walk through, most of the time I have no idea which section some of the platforms are taking me, if I can even manage to control my movement into the right branching path. God help me if I went the wrong way and wanted to reverse.

I didn't like Unleashed's hubs because some of them were way too big, others were tiny, and honestly there were too many NPCs, with god knows how much text. I'm the type of person that stops and checks just about every NPC every time something major happens, but there were just way too many of them to do that, even when they had unique text. Drove me nuts as a completionist.

But some hubs, like Spagonia, were absolutely huge, while Holoska's was tiny. And Adabat's was just a long empty dock of nothing. Empire City's was centered around a tiny fountain area.

Then there were the actual "get to the level" areas, which some had some pretty awkward requirements just to get to the right entrance, not to mention the medal requirements. I really preferred the Wii version's temples.

qq more

Professor Pickles is the best new Sonic character ever.

I am so sad he's only in a game I don't really like.

EDIT: I thought I was in the community thread for a second :|

Lijik

EDIT: I thought I was in the community thread for a second :|

To be honest, so was I when I made that post D:
It was the first Sonic thread in my subscriptions and the current discussion was a little broad. I just assumed I was in the right one not having been to either for a good chunk of the day.

Top Bottom