• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Gravijah

EDIT2: Grav, Sonic 4 instruments gets hate because they're awful and sound like dying cats. No really, the instruments are so annoying. Not to mention, I find it kind of dumb that they ONLY used the drum sample in an attempt to sound "retro".

i dunno i hear similar sounding synths in a lot of music.

plus there's nothing wrong with a whiny synth.

The synths in Sonic 4's OST probably wouldn't be a huge deal but the compositions themselves aren't really the greatest, either.

I mean, one of the songs was basically fished out of the garbage because it wasn't good enough for the Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast of all games.

TheOGB

Banned
...says the person who likes FFVI Advance's instrument samples. :p

I liked Sonic Advance 3's music and I just can't listen to Sonic 4's music longer than 2 minutes.

...Actually most opinions on Adv3 I've seen have been about the actual game, and barely ever the soundtrack.

Sciz

i'll just continue loving splash hill zone and wondering what the fuss is

The fuss is that you can pick any random Youtube remixer and there's a 50% chance that his version sounds better than the actual thing.

I liked Sonic Advance 3's music and I just can't listen to Sonic 4's music longer than 2 minutes.

...Actually most opinions on Adv3 I've seen have been about the actual game, and barely ever the soundtrack.

Advance 3 had all some of Sonic Team's best working on it (Tokoooiiiiii <3). Not necessarily at their best, but it's not a bad soundtrack by any means.

Gravijah

The fuss is that you can pick any random Youtube remixer and there's a 50% chance that his version sounds better than the actual thing.

eh, i really like the instruments used. much better than some of the choices used in generations (i'm looking at you chemical plant zone modern!)

Celcius

°Temp. member
Next month I'll probably finally get around to picking this up for pc. Would I be fine with kb & mouse, or is a controller pretty much required?
If so, does the pc version work with a dualshock 3 (motionjoy I guess?) or would I have to actually buy a pc controller?

Next month I'll probably finally get around to picking this up for pc. Would I be fine with kb & mouse, or is a controller pretty much required?
If so, does the pc version work with a dualshock 3 (motionjoy I guess?) or would I have to actually buy a pc controller?

I've been able to play Steam games with Motioninjoy/Dualshock3. I would recommend any type of controller above a keyboard for this game.

Sciz

Since they patched drifting to actually work, the game is completely playable with a keyboard and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Jumping precisely in 3D takes a little doing, but there's not terribly much of it. And I'd argue that sliding while boosting is actually easier on a keyboard than with the crazy-ass button layout of a 360 pad.

Gravijah

(But seriously, I still don't know what to think of Modern Chemical Plant's BGM at all.)

it's not a bad arrangement, it's just not what i wanted. it should have been a slick modern electronic song. not... whatever it is now, with a goddamn hoover ripped straight from fruity loops tossed on top of it.

qq more

I think I'd rather play 06 than Colors. But 06 is worse.

You monster.

But at least you admit Colors is better... unlike someone we know.

Lijik said:
I love how slavishly accurate it was to so many things that should have been fixed or left out.
Terrible :lol
It's pretty much proof that Sonic 06's problem goes beyond glitches. EVERYTHING ABOUT THE GAME IS WRONG.

Am I blind or can I not see any rings on the last boss battle? I keep running out especially when I need it. I go through like 30-45 seconds without seeing any ring trails and it fucks me over everytime.

qq more

Am I blind or can I not see any rings on the last boss battle? I keep running out especially when I need it. I go through like 30-45 seconds without seeing any ring trails and it fucks me over everytime.

Did you switch to 2D mode? 3D mode is awful when it comes to collecting rings.

TheOGB

Banned
If you're in 3D mode the only place you should ever be in order to get anything done is dead in the center. If you desperately need rings switch to 2D and again try to stay in the middle as much as you can.

Emitan

Can it be controversial Sonic time? Adventure 2's Sonic and Shadow stages are the best 3D stages.

Also Colors sucks and excluding the other shitty Wii games no one ever mentions it's only above 06 in sucking.

Can it be controversial Sonic time? Adventure 2's Sonic and Shadow stages are the best 3D stages.

Also Colors sucks and excluding the other shitty Wii games no one ever mentions it's only above 06 in sucking.

1) That's not controversial in the slightest.
2) You're purposely excluding the bad games just to make Colors seem worse than it actually is. That doesn't really help your point.

OMG Aero

The synths in Sonic 4's OST probably wouldn't be a huge deal but the compositions themselves aren't really the greatest, either.

I mean, one of the songs was basically fished out of the garbage because it wasn't good enough for the Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast of all games.

Probably the worst thing about Sonic 4's soundtrack is how short a vast majority of the music is.
I mean holy shit the last boss music is only 13 seconds long then looped over and over (For comparison the Sonic 2 final boss music lasts for 55 seconds). Add this really repetitive music to a boss fight that lasts way too long and that you'll probably have to repeat at least once due to the dick move at the end and it just makes you annoyed at the game.

JonCha

I was re-reading the "new standard of Sonic" comments Izuka made. Why does everyone think this will be a redesign? With Episode 2 and Dimensions/whatever, that isn't happening for a while. Doesn't it mean just a new focus or direction for the franchise?

They're certainly the best part of SA2, but... there's nothing to them. All of the talk about how Sonic is and was "hold right to win" (or in the case of the 3D games, hold forward to win) is absolutely, 100% true in Sonic Adventure 2.

SA2's Sonic levels are the most linear and scripted levels in the entire franchise history. The entire game is spent lining yourself up for the next cinematic loop or series of springs, of which there are a lot. Thrilling the first time, but does not lend itself well to repeated playthroughs.

In a nut shell, all of the Sonic/Shadow levels in SA2 are basically just Speed Highway, over and over and over again (with a few rare exceptions, like Final Chase and Crazy Gadget). The amount of variety is super low, which is unsurprising, given the weird development cycle the game apparently had.

You really are a monster.

If someone wants to hammer out a quickie header for the Community Thread right now, it would be appreciated. I've still got to format all the info I've received and make sure it all fits in one post.

Uh.

I think mine came in under the forum character limit. Maybe.

It did, don't worry.
KuGsj.gif
if I have to make cuts to fit it all under the limit, I'll probably head to your section first though

maybe

EDIT: FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK

Chrome crashed on me, and now all the work I've done is lost. back to fucking square one.

HOW ABOUT YOU BOTH EAT A BAG OF DICKS

The silver lining here is that I still have most of the stuff saved elsewhere. The only things I lost are the extra pics that I added, but those are in my browser history, thank god.

Top Bottom