• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should post in the LTTP: Sonic 06 thread, even though Anth0ny isn't finished his playthrough yet.

Let's also say that, uh, I drank more than I could handle on New Year's, played Sonic 2006 and thought parts of it weren't bad (it happened a while ago in this very thread). The Silver battle in Sonic's Story could not be salvaged, though.

J@hranimo

Banned
It never ends!

I feel like one day I will take nintendoman58 and Anth0ny's route and get the game just to say I did it.

The most of the game I've played is 30 minutes. It was on that horrid snowboard section with Sonic on White Acropolis.

I never got past it D:

scitek

I've had the same morbid curiosity myself with Sonic '06. I could see myself spending a dollar on it or something if I saw it at a yard sale or something.

Christopher

I still believe that they can throw some spit shine on 06 and at least elimate the load times and fix up the gameplay...

I was stunned how UNFUN the snowboard levels were...I mean Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 the snow boarding/metal skating was so fun...

I was looking through the older suggestions for titles, and decided to combine the ones people liked.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

qq more

It never ends!

I feel like one day I will take nintendoman58 and Anth0ny's route and get the game just to say I did it.

The most of the game I've played is 30 minutes. It was on that horrid snowboard section with Sonic on White Acropolis.

I never got past it D:
I think that was where I quit the 2nd time I've tried the game.

But this time, I will finish this piece of shit game now that I own a copy. (Borrowed it for a bit from people who happened to bring that awful game the other times)

Emitan

I got to the Silver fight.

IT'S NO USE

That fight cannot be won. It's really fun to get stunlocked for 4 hours. We left the console on and came back. We still hadnt died.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've had the same morbid curiosity myself with Sonic '06. I could see myself spending a dollar on it or something if I saw it at a yard sale or something.
I think that's still too much! D:

I paid $5 for my copy, and felt that I could have bought a novel at the half-price bookstore for the same price which would have been worth the money.

ShadiWulf

I got Sonic 06 as a Christmas gift with an XBOX 360.. XD

I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit when I played it, but i was still dumb back then =P Just a kid who would play anything Sonic and enjoy it

I got to the Silver fight.

IT'S NO USE

That fight cannot be won. It's really fun to get stunlocked for 4 hours. We left the console on and came back. We still hadnt died.

I think that's still too much! D:

I paid $5 for my copy, and felt that I could have bought a novel at the half-price bookstore for the same price which would have been worth the money.

I played my friend's copy and felt ripped off.

Yes... everyone must experience it...

Feel like the entrance of some cult .

You can not pass .
- i played SONIC 06
-Alright you're ready now , please pass
^^^Something like that .
I feel ashamed that sonic 06 is the first game i set my eyes on when i bought my PS3 ...

JonCha

I still never experienced wanting to homing attack as Classic Sonic.

The hub world was easy to go around.

The plot was, well, as 'developed' as it needed to be.

He's right about the final boss and Sonic '06 being represented.

Saying each friend has a "level" is deceiving - it's a mission. People will think level means stage, and therefore compulsory. They aren't.

Oh, and why people base all their opinions on one review (read the comments) is dumb. He didn't like Super Mario 3D Land, so yeah.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, Yahtzee still dislikes everything? I remember when I found him refreshing until I got tired of his "I hate everything" schtick.

I liked his cameo in the SO4 episode of Unskippable. :D

Edit: I didn't mind this review, though. I stopped watching Escapist stuff after the whole Extra Credits debacle, so I guess I'll catch up.

Gravijah said:
oh man this game moves fast
Gotta go fast, etc.

How're you liking it so far?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h78rtaMN5w

Rather than decrypt and port the exact collision data from Sonic Unleashed (which is apparently in a data format exclusive to the Xbox 360), Dario FF from Sonic Retro simply reverse-engineered the collision map format for Sonic Generations and then used a copy of the Unleashed level geometry as the collision data.

The result: Windmill Isle Act 1 is (mostly) playable.

Obviously, the lighting data still needs to be properly deciphered now, among some other things.

But... hot damn! Hype got!

Teknoman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h78rtaMN5w

Rather than decrypt and port the exact collision data from Sonic Unleashed (which is apparently in a data format exclusive to the Xbox 360), Dario FF from Sonic Retro simply reverse-engineered the collision map format for Sonic Generations and then used a copy of the Unleashed level geometry as the collision data.

The result: Windmill Isle Act 1 is (mostly) playable.

Obviously, the lighting data still needs to be properly deciphered now, among some other things.

But... hot damn! Hype got!

So lets just say the Sonic Generations: Unleashed project is seen through to completion, would it be something that overwrites all the other zones as a mod, or something you'd have to load up separately/hack some option into the hub?

Also do you know if they plan to try and adapt some of the more 2D oriented acts into classic?

Sciz

So lets just say the Sonic Generations: Unleashed project is seen through to completion, would it be something that overwrites all the other zones as a mod, or something you'd have to load up separately/hack some option into the hub?

It'd be much simpler to overwrite existing acts than to add in new ones.

Also do you know if they plan to try and adapt some of the more 2D oriented acts into classic?

It'd probably overwrite an existing stage, as Sciz said.

Not sure about 2D stages, but people are already asking about the possibility of stages from other Sonic games; notably Sonic 2006, Sonic Unleashed Wii, and Sonic Colors. FF Dario's response is that once they get custom level geometry working anything's possible as long as somebody's willing to put in the effort of ripping and converting.

Most of the strides made reverse-engineering Unleashed 360 levels has been because Generations is running on the next version of the same engine.

Edgeward

So pokecapn is playing the 2d remake of Sonic 2006 right now. I... I didn't even know this existed. And how faithful it is in terms of events and looks.

http://www.twitch.tv/pokecapn

Edit: They beat it. Can't believe they didn't change how many times you have to hit Eggman in the flying red robot.

I finally finished generations, they could have clearer instructions for the final boss.

no explanation given for why the coins are decreasing, what was the purpose of pressing x ever in the fight?, and only four minutes?

Fun game, but I think I still prefer Unleashed as my favorite Sonic. Generations had odd difficulty, and odd game mechanics.

qq more

I love Modern Sonic gameplay and I don't care who knows it. After playing Generations I got Unleashed on Amazon and I'm currently really enjoying it. I can't understand the hate.

The hate from Unleashed just really stems from the really boring Werehog levels. At first I accepted the Werehogs stages...but then they got old really fast.

EDIT: ...Why do people say coins as oppose to rings? This isn't Mario.

EDIT2: Grav, Sonic 4 instruments gets hate because they're awful and sound like dying cats. No really, the instruments are so annoying. Not to mention, I find it kind of dumb that they ONLY used the drum sample in an attempt to sound "retro".

Lijik

So pokecapn is playing the 2d remake of Sonic 2006 right now. I... I didn't even know this existed. And how faithful it is in terms of events and looks.

Edit: They beat it. Can't believe they didn't change how many times you have to hit Eggman in the flying red robot.

I love how slavishly accurate it was to so many things that should have been fixed or left out.
Terrible :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Only Sonic game Ive ever managed to reach the end of was Colors.
What they're implying is "boost to win" is a good strategy. I posted something here that may or may not help you (though you don't need to go for the trophy). Also, boosting will attract rings to you, so always boost into a line of rings.

qq more said:
The hate from Unleashed just really stems from the really boring Werehog levels. At first I accepted the Werehogs stages...but then they got old really fast.
They're sooooooo loooooong... and somewhat sleep-inducing. The pacing of the levels are somewhat poor. (This is partially why it's taking me a while to get through Unleashed Wii at the moment).

The level music and environmental design are the best parts of those levels, though. I just went back to playing Jungle Joyride Night on Unleashed HD and it's so beautiful.

Augh, missed it. Will watch the archive later. I haven't seen the 2D remake in action before.

Top Bottom