• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community |OT2 Battle|

Status
Not open for further replies.
His favourite FF is FF13.
bsLrAjF.gif

images

I tried out the demo of Rising.

Freaking beautiful. I love how smooth and fast the whole thing is. I love how you can slice apart the objects in the environment like the bridges and stuff and make them collapse. I'll probably get it when there's a price drop later on. I'm not too big a fan of the MGS franchise to be honest to shove out $60 for it when the game is only 4-5 hours long for all I've heard. The only thing I don't like about it is the parry system. I don't know why, I can just never seem to pull it off, and I found it much easier to just dodge that dog's attacks in the demo than to waste health trying to parry.

Tooie is fun.

Also spent some of today playing on my Wii U (shock!). Wii Street View is kinda cool; I liked being able to revisit Cheltenham, England, and confirm just how much of it I don't remember. Technically, could've just booted up Google Maps, but whatever! Then F-Zero, which I gotta be honest... I don't get. Surely Silence isn't meant to be absolutely insane with its constant right-angle turns? Letting up on the accel helps a lot, using the triggers to bank helps a smidgen, but there must be some kind of trick to this game that's eluded me over the many years I've tried it.

Other than that, my throat has been feeling somewhere between phlegmy and very dry, all weekend, which is about as fun as it sounds. If I still feel like this tomorrow, I might consider working from home instead of going over.

Tooie is fun.
I'm of split minds about it. I think it fixes a lot of Kazooie's problems, such as streamlining the collecting more and making every world interconnected gives the game a great 3D Metroid feel, but at the same time a lot of the later worlds start to seriously drag, whereas that's when I felt Kazooie started to pick up.

Plus Gruntilda no longer rhyming is dumb as hell.

It's a Rareware platformer. Of course it is.

It almost saddens me that the notes are now in groups of 5 instead of loose like they were in Kazooie. I mean, on the one hand, it makes collecting them a bit easier, but on the other hand, I liked the ubiquity of the single notes all over the level. Plus, since it's still counting up to 100, they might as well have just made them single notes and only counted up to 20.

Seeing the mammoth monster they created with DK64 Rare went back to the drawing board and actually made Banjo Tooie manageable on the collectables front, notes in particular get (ruined) made much easier coming in nests of 5 alongside the treble clef worth 20 notes.

Tooie has a different problem when it comes to size, if DK was too bloated than Tooie is almost too ambitious, stages are huge and unlike DK64's usually simple stage structure where large areas were all connected by tunnels so it was pretty easy to get around (bar Crystal Caves, that place still gets me lost) Banjo Tooie manages to create huge worlds without the need for Tunnels everywhere which is technically a lot better but boy does it ratchet up the confusion, later stages like Terrydactyl Land, Hailfire Peaks, Grunty Industries and Cloud Cuckooland are a right old mission to get around and remember where everything is.
And you really need to remember things, jiggys don't come easy, a task to earn a single Jiggy in Terrydactyl Land can require hopping around 3 other worlds doing tasks within them and shuffling a Triceratops family around with the train requiring abilities you wont get until later on anyway (granted this is probably the games hardest jiggy). But even that one aside there's many instances where you need to press further on in the game and return to stages later with new moves or having altered something significant (like basically murdering an Ice Cube in Cloud Cuckkoland to cool down a pool of water in the fire side of Hailfire Peaks).
Now really this level of jumping around and linked worlds is actually pretty cool but coming from BK it's almost too much, the fact that even entering the front door Grunty Industries requires a certain train of thought that can stump people pretty much sums things up.

Still Tooie tackles bigger is better much more effectively than DK64 did which was basically a souped up Banjo game anyway with a DK skin. And now I want to replay Tooie, might have to check out the 360 version since the frame rate on the N64 one was always a bit iffy. Tooie also had a cheat to increase running speed which was just the most useful thing.
Gruntilda not rhyming is the absolute worst, such a disappointment.

edit: Oh Crumbs, going back to another Shadow Hog point, I'm also sucking at F-Zero, using the wonderful powers of off tv play I decided to get in a quick race before I hit the hay and I suck, lousy CPU knocking me around like a pinball, if this was X or GX i'd kill 'em myself!

I got stuck in Terrydactyland for about a good year before I realized where to go.

That said, I like the first game a lot more, although Tooie is still pretty great.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Oscars have been shit all night.

It's actually making my study session go worse than it should be going. I'm so bored. If it doesn't improve in a few minutes, I'm gonna listen to some LPs instead. At least they're easier on the ears.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wow. I'm not listening to this shit (the Oscars) anymore. That Ted bit was beyond awful.

I'm going to listen to some LPs now. Sheesh.

ViewtifulJC, save yourself, man.

what

:mad:

This is just because it's a video games film.

I wouldn't of minded Paranorman winning either, but Brave? I usually love PIXAR, but I thought it was pretty universally agreed while not terrible it was a definite step down and suffered from all the back-room director drama.

Tizoc

tHE more you guys keep talking Offf-topic, I'll start giving my thoughts on hentai doujins =V

I thought the Blue Bomber was Sonic raining death below on any badnik in dire need of a spin attack...

You're prob. thinking of Silver/Prototype Mecha Sonic, I hated it when that' tin can's spikes shot out during the battle against him >=/

Keep your dirty things to yourself!

And nah, I was thinking of Sonic when he's jumping down from Tails' grasp in the Marble Garden battle.

Tizoc

Rayman got over it in later games, maybe Mr. Dark cast dark magic on the water to make it hurt Rayman.
THE FIEND!

Keep your dirty things to yourself!
Well I wouldn't talk about furry hentai, I never liked that shit anyway.

And nah, I was thinking of Sonic when he's jumping down from Tails' grasp in the Marble Garden battle.

That sounds more like Holy Diver to me.

As long as you eventually get around to Rayman 2 and Origins all will be well.

Rayman 3 if you really feel like it I guess

TheOGB

Banned
tHE more you guys keep talking Offf-topic, I'll start giving my thoughts on hentai doujins =V
you beat me to the "3rd page of SonicGAF OT2 and still no Sonic discussion" joke

I don't know how tagging all that music took 2 hours. "You're too slow," indeed ._.

As long as you eventually get around to Rayman 2 and Origins all will be well.

Rayman 3 if you really feel like it I guess

I hate how despite a million ports of it there hasn't been a genuinely good Rayman 2 port in like ever, that game was awesome, the Precipice was just the best.

I played the demo for 3HD and Murphy made me want to kill things.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You want Sonic discussion? I'll give you Sonic discussion (before I crash).

So I ended up doing a little running earlier today, and as you all know, I usually listen to videogame music while I exercise. For some reason, I stuck to the Sonic 3 multiplayer themes for the first 10 minutes I guess:
Azure Lake
Chrome Gadget
Desert Palace
Endless Mine

My mind stuck to Chrome Gadget for a while, and I think it's the best out of the multiplayer stage music. When I was young and dumb, to be completely honest, outside of punk rock (because it was only 3 chords most of the time, so I felt it was good at practicing switching chords before getting better and better at it) a lot of what I tried to learn how to play was classic video game music as the melodies were very easy to tab. Chrome Gadget was actually one of the original things I learned how to play (the melody, anyway--I learned the bassline much later and the bassline is way more interesting to learn anyway! Basslines are always more interesting than melodies!).

Thing about the melody is that it's technically a harmony, so you've gotta play two things at once (so if you actually look for a tab for Chrome Gadget now, I figure that you'd find a Power Tab with everything on it with playback as opposed to just an old fashioned tab like the ones you'd find for something like Ice Cap or something). It's a good bgm to pick if you want to practice something like vibratos or bends. I really like the samples chosen for this, and it's a good example of something using the YM2612 well (aside from the usual Yuzo Koshiro example). The melody's catchy enough, but I find myself paying attention to the bassline as usual. *shrug* I like lower-pitched sounds a ton. I don't know if it fits with the Chrome Gadget level design, but it sounds great.

Other than that, I think the MP music in Sonic 3 is great. For some reason I tend to overlook them whenever music selection lists come up or something like that because I'm so used to listening to the SP music instead.

Balloon Park was an omission. I don't think it suits running at all.

No, Sonic music doesn't make me think "GOTTA GO FAST" when I run.

You know the rules. >:|

Unless it's Retsupurae where they're voicing their disgust like the rest of us are.

EDIT: Oh hey...

Hey, that's my birthday. Thanks, MS.

I played Rayman 2 via PSOne Classics and that seemed decent enough.

There's a DC version out there somewhere worth porting for the shinier visuals and stuff.
Instead we get these rushed DS and 3DS launch title versions, booo!

I don't think I can successfully partake in that Sonic discussion up there, terminology has defeated me.

Quackula

Waiting on a package from japan that seems to be stuck in limbo. Tracking hasn't changed at all in the past 4 or 5 days... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom