• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ending was one of the worst i've experienced in the last few years,
left open for a sequel that will never arrive, though I guess in a way Eggman won for a change

I was so excited because at the time I really liked that game. In a way I still do, but that's because of the writing. Had they spruced up the music, the controls, and actually made equipment useful, it could've been a game for the ages.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I should go back to that game, as I recall that I found it to be incredibly mediocre. I get the feeling that upon a revisit, that I'll think less of it.
Oh shit, Sonic, we're ending on a cliffhanger, but the people who made this game are really cool... especially the guy who added the soundtrack to this!

I was so excited because at the time I really liked that game. In a way I still do, but that's because of the writing. Had they spruced up the music, the controls, and actually made equipment useful, it could've been a game for the ages.
It does have its moments, I also enjoyed it at the time but it's not something I could replay.

I was still holding out that they would make a sequel. Guess not.
Well we can always hope we get one that fixes the numerous issues, probably isn't happening though.

I should go back to that game, as I recall that I found it to be incredibly mediocre. I get the feeling that upon a revisit, that I'll think less of it.
Oh shit, Sonic, we're ending on a cliffhanger, but the people who made this game are really cool... especially the guy who added the soundtrack to this!
Ivel never quite decided if the way they did the credits was sort of clever or a kick to my nether regions.

Ivel never quite decided if the way they did the credits was sort of clever or a kick to my nether regions.

In general breaking the fourth wall is usually a lame, cheap move. It's the sort of thing that requires no narrative skill to do whatsoever and is there strictly to please fans because "omg, the characters are talking directly TO me!"

That's not to say it can't be used intelligently, but rarely it is. And the credits sequence of Sonic Chronicles lays on the cheese as thick as possible. Especially with
the game ending where it does and then the first thing you see is Sonic directly addressing the player with

"Guess you'll have to wait until the next episode to find out what happens! ;)"

No, fuck you, Sonic.

I like it when it's done well. Unfortunately, the best examples I can think of it being done are also extremely late-game spoilers, such that even mentioning the game's name is a spoiler. Still,
Panzer Dragoon Saga
and
Earthbound
do it really well, even if both basically do the same thing at the end of the game.

In
PDS
's case,
they break the fourth wall almost immediately to ask you your name, although this could be construed to only be for save file purposes, followed by a white light going into the recently-deceased protagonist's body to revive him (because dead protagonists don't do a whole lot). Some characters later hint to the existence of a "Divine Visitor" on the first disc, which promptly never gets mentioned again... until the very end, when it's revealed that you are the Divine Visitor, in the form of that white light that revived the player character, and that your presence in the game is what allowed the heroes to... well, I won't say "win", but accomplish all that they did. Hell, there's even a voice telling you to "push the button that begins a new journey" - although the only thing I got from pushing Start was skipping an ending cutscene (whoops). Would've been cleverer if you actually had to do that

Then there's
Earthbound
, in which
the only means of properly defeating Giygas is to pray for the willpower for him to die. Multiple prayers later, you've got every important NPC in the game wishing for your well-being, which significantly weakens Giygas, but not enough to destroy him. So naturally, the next place to turn is outside the game, beyond the fourth wall, where the game tacitly admits that the strongest will for your characters to succeed is coming from you, and because your willpower is so great, the boss is defeated. Rather amusing twist, that

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, the Mother games have always been great examples of RPG storytelling. There aren't a lot of RPGs for which I can hand the same compliment to. I feel like I limit myself to Matsuno's, Ito's, or Murayama's/other Suikoden writers' stories.

Anyway! Sonic 236 impressions--better late than never.

The cover’s interesting. Sonic says something clichéd. :p It’s better than issue 239’s cover.

I keep trying to read this from right to left instead of left to right. :x

Cubot is soooo cuuuuute.

And uh, coming from the SSSM magazine and a few of the issues in that one (ex: Sonic 25 and a few other ones in there), it’s amazing to see so many footnotes in here telling me to go read that issue or this issue. And all of these asterisks (five in a row, wtf?) are off-putting and make the text and panels look messy in general. I get they’re going for backstory and consistency, but man, that isn’t nice to look at. It makes the page look like a giant glob of info that I don’t care about.

Sciz, I always thought that Amy’s mood swings were normal.

Tails’s face when he finds out about the council’s decision to exile Nicole is funny. But ah, yeah, seeing Rotor with his regular gear on is pretty weird since it’s been a while. Edit: WTF at Rotor’s battle suit. That thing is a fashion disaster. How does that fix a back injury?

Egg Prisons and Sonic calling Eggman ‘buttnik’ makes me happy. Er, well, Egg Prisons don’t make me happy, but… nostalgia.

Team Fighters is better than Team Rose. Or something. Oh. Rotor’s team is Team Freedom. Ohohohoho. Freedom Fighters. I get it. Clever. (It isn’t very clever.)

The Sonic/Tails/Amy party is interesting. Tails has the tech, Sonic has the brute speed force, and Amy has the Pow Hammer. The dialogue when they’re going to town on Sally is shows a nice switch-up in terms of party dynamics and banter. Their friendly competition is nice. While I’m at this, I like the art in the bits where they’re going all-out against Eggman’s forces in Furville.

The extra story is about Rotor recruiting people for Team Freedom. Big the Cat is in this. Vanilla has a Tails Doll in her grasp for some reason, for multiple panels.

Heavy and Bomb are in this? Whoa. I think I just time warped or something.

I remember in a different thread how I was moaning and groaning about Naugus being back once again, but you know what? He’s not a bad character in terms of purpose and writing. He’s a jerk, but he seems a little rational? Before, we just got to see him as the Big Bad, but now that he’s the King, the writing that expands a bit for his character and makes him a little interesting. He’s incredibly arrogant, and this time he’s actually intriguing.

“My name is Big.”
“LOL, of course it is”

I finally figured out what Rotor’s battle armour reminds me of. The North American Mega Man covers.

How the fuck did Big and Heavy catch and stabilize a building? And they do it so willingly!

The Off-Panel is cute because it’s creepy.

Sonic Universe #40 -- AKA, whoa that was a good arc.

I love this issue’s cover.

Snively being not-so-snivelly is interesting and refreshing. I’m having a hard time trying to rationalize what he’s saying with his old Sonic cartoon voice but then we get to the next page where he moans about how he’s in love and then it’s easy to read the words in his voice.

I love Cubot and Orbot so much. They’re genuinely two of the best characters to come out of the games lately and they translate to the comics so well. Particularly the three panels when they’re discussing the fight.

GET A LOAD OF THIS.

Ohgosh one of the ads is for Sonic Kids in here for the Sonic Selects thing. I remember that when I was younger I thought it was soooo cute. I don’t know if I feel that way now as I haven’t read those in years. I remember Sally Moon being kinda cool.

Oh, there’s the Khan/Sally dynamic. Perhaps she remembers something? Wow, Monkey Khan kinda gets shoved around a lot here.

Er. So Robotnik just put them in charge of a region? That’s interesting. Wonder what he’s got up his sleeve?

...Wait, what? Wtf, you don’t throw something like that at someone on the next page! :O
That’s really dark. Even for Robotnik, especially because it involves Snively. We'll probably revisit this sometime, but man it'll be interesting to see how his plan works out.

Anyway, you should be reading Sonic Universe if you aren’t already. This was a really good arc! Didn’t see the end coming at all. Loved it.

Edit: Mega Man 13:

Yes. We all wanted to see Dr. Wily in the Amazon.

"Uhh, if you use their copy chip, shouldn't you be Copy Man?"
"My primary weapon is the Mega Buster, so I'm Mega Man. But I use Rush for all sorts of stuff, so maybe I should be Rush Man!"

The debate between Dr. Light and Lalinde is rather reminiscent of quality of AI debates. I thought it was neat and rather well-written.

And now we have a crazy who wants to bring an end to the field of advanced robotics. Good luck with that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is Universe mostly self contained, or does it bleed over to the main comic like the old Super Specials and the Knuckles comic used to do?
Well, the second page of Sonic #236 was littered with asterisks referring to stuff in the main series, and the most recent Universe arc (37-40). You can consider them self-contained arcs, but I wouldn't be surprised to find them referenced in the main series, much like the specials and Knuckles comics were in the past.

Well, the second page of Sonic #236 was littered with asterisks referring to stuff in the main series, and the most recent Universe arc (37-40). You can consider them self-contained arcs, but I wouldn't be surprised to find them referenced in the main series, much like the specials and Knuckles comics were in the past.

Ah, good to know. I'll get around to it one of these days.

Random Question: Is the font larger for anyone else, or am I just tripping out over here?

Sciz

Anyway! Sonic 236 impressions--better late than never.

hurrah

And Mega Man! I'll get back to this later.

Is Universe mostly self contained, or does it bleed over to the main comic like the old Super Specials and the Knuckles comic used to do?
Bit of column A, bit of column B. It's set up such that every four-issue chunk is a coherent story in its own right. A couple of arcs have intersected directly with the main book's ongoing plot, but most of them are self-contained, though still relevant to overall continuity in some way. And then there's Treasure Team Tango, which was four issues of essentially meaningless (but hilarious) all-out brawling.

And also M30YL, but let's not talk about that.

Nert

remember how i said i was waiting for the white vita?

I'M WEAK :(

I thought about advising you against getting one, but then I remembered how much fun I've had with Lumines: Electronic Symphony and stayed quiet. I mean, sure, barring some kind of miracle the system seems ready to die a quick death, but Lumines!

Emitan

PSP is one of my favorite systems ever even though I have a shitty PSP-100 from launch and the screen is scratched to hell so I'm probably going to like the Vita more than that.

Rlan

oldsfghq.png

When I was 12, I made Sonic Fan Games HQ. That was 14 years ago.

I wrote a bit about it on my new Tumblr here, if you want to have a look:

http://iamtherlan.tumblr.com/post/25090372949/when-i-was-12-i-made-sonic-fan-games-hq

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's better than Sonic 06.

Or Colors, in your case. :|
I was going to post "wat", and then I remembered that he doesn't care much for Colours.

Billiechu said:
ever played the game where you type in "your name the hedgehog"?
I have a post in this thread somewhere.

My boyfriend's lucky since his name is rather rare in the English-speaking world... edit: oh wow, I turned up a result but it's pronounced differently. :|

Sciz said:
hurrah

And Mega Man! I'll get back to this later.
Man, the writing in the Mega Man comics is really decent. Love what they're doing with it. Also, this has been one of my favourite parts.

Gravijah said:
WHY DIDN'T ANY OF YOU TELL ME TOYS R US SELLS SONIC CD-ERA AMY FIGURES
Those have been there since last year. We thought this was common knowledge. :O

Kokonoe

Banned
I suppose Sonic Adventure 2 won't come out this month since we haven't heard any news at e3 or after.

Interesting enough, Sumo is offering something quite interesting if you're near their location and want to help with this game.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?415806-Come-to-SUMO-and-help-us-polish-the-game!
We have an opportunity for people interested in voluntary work experience at Sumo Digital.

During July & August 2012, we will be running an open game balancing team at the studio.

This involves people joining us for up to 3 weeks at a time, sitting and playing the game through like a normal user would, and we gather data as you go, retune areas, provide a new build, play through again, play multiplayer, play different game modes etc. There would be the opportunity to provide feedback and help to shape the game experience. You would also meet with people from various disciplines, learn how a game is made from the inside and generally expand your knowledge hugely.

The majority of the time would be spent on the balancing team, but we’d try and mix it up, and you’d definitely learn a lot about how things are done here on a day-to-day basis and have the opportunity to ask lots of questions!

We believe this is a great opportunity for people interested in joining the games industry to see how things are done on the inside, to help shape and improve a game, and to build their skillset to improve their chances of future employment within the games industry.

The opportunity is only available to people who live within the North of England and can travel to Sheffield each day, or have accommodation available in the area. We will be able to reimburse travel expenses that we consider reasonable, i.e. that private jet each day from Sweden is probably pushing it bit too far.

We will run an initial trial period of one week where we assess your suitability, and where you get to decide whether you’re enjoying it!

At the end of that week, assuming everything is going well, we will confirm extension for next two weeks.

For any interested applicants:

1. Are you available around these times?
•Slot 1: 2nd July > 20th July
•Slot 2: 23rd July > 10th August

2. The times required each day are 11am > 6pm, with an hour for lunch between 1 & 2pm.

If you have any questions, or are only available for part of the periods mentioned, or would like to be considered for future balancing team opportunities please feel free to contact us.

Applications should be sent to balancing@sumo-digital.com

i have the most posts

i have contributed the most

I'd say Dark Schala has contributed the most. Her posts are consistently about topics relating to the series and bring up a lot of great points and discussion.

Emitan

I'd say Dark Schala has contributed the most. Her posts are consistently about topics relating to the series and bring up a lot of great points and discussion.

You can't compare me to her! That's not fair! Well I'm the 2nd best female poster in this thread

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
C'mon everyone... This place is supposed to be chill. Besides... I go off-topic a lot too. This is likely a consequence of not being able to say most of this stuff on gaming side anyway.

Rlan said:
Getting your feet wet by recreating Sonic games is all fine for a starter — you have sprite sheets everywhere, and it’s not like Sonic’s all that complicated of a character to get something resembling his games, but I also urge you to pursue something more. There are so many opportunities out there now to make a brand new and wholly original game on your PC that you’ll ultimately get a whole lot more out of it.
This is really good advice. Recreating a game might be a good first step, but going beyond that with something original is even better. I'm pretty sure the kids in my uni's game dev program are told something along those lines as well if they say that they usually make a ton of fangames which are essentially recreations.

It's a community thread. If you're posting in here at all, you're contributing. This ain't no |OT| mang. We can even talk about the weather if you want.

WRDV9.png

Gravijah

Those have been there since last year. We thought this was common knowledge. :O

you guys shoulda told me pronto

unrelated, but every store has basically clearanced all their old tamagotchi stuff... i can't even find the actual virtual pets in any store anymore, just accessories. they're probably not going to be making anymore NA tamagotchis, either.

i'm so sad. :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fffff, now I want a Mr. Saturn plush.

Now I wish I was a better poster. Nothing I say is important :(
Nah, you've made a dent in a lot of threads; I think you're a good poster.

you guys shoulda told me pronto

unrelated, but every store has basically clearanced all their old tamagotchi stuff... i can't even find the actual virtual pets in any store anymore, just accessories. they're probably not going to be making anymore NA tamagotchis, either.

i'm so sad. :(
I think a few of us bought the figures (I know someone on GAF definitely bought the set of the small figures). I just bought the Modern/Classic Super Sonic pair, and the large Modern Sonic and Classic Sonic figures. Oh, wait, and the plushies. I found the 20th anniversary Knuckles plush at a Future Shop a few months ago, and swore that I'd buy it, but when I went back they were sold out. Bleh.

Aw, that's too bad. I thought they were getting popular again. Perhaps the kids have moved onto Skylanders? I know lots of them are crazy about those.
Edit: Oh gosh, some of the Japanese ones are rather expensive on rakuten, but then you have some that are $20...

qq more

oldsfghq.png

When I was 12, I made Sonic Fan Games HQ. That was 14 years ago.

I wrote a bit about it on my new Tumblr here, if you want to have a look:

http://iamtherlan.tumblr.com/post/25090372949/when-i-was-12-i-made-sonic-fan-games-hq

Oh wow. I remember discovering this site back in late 1999/early 2000. This layout especially. This site was what got me into fan gaming and then eventually getting into indie game development. Thank you for making that site, Rlan. I still remember the day I installed KNP on my computer because of this site.

My current projects:
ETCF.png
bridge.png

hey sega1991 remember that sonic game :D

Oh wow. I remember discovering this site back in late 1999/early 2000. This layout especially. This site was what got me into fan gaming and then eventually getting into indie game development. Thank you for making that site, Rlan. I still remember the day I installed KNP on my computer because of this site.

My current projects:
ETCF.png
bridge.png

hey sega1991 remember that sonic game :D

Oh yeah, I remember Emerald Ties. One of the higher profile fangames floating around SFGHQ. Hope you guys actually, like, finish it this time. I would like to play more. :p

Kokonoe

Banned
Oh yeah, I remember Emerald Ties. One of the higher profile fangames floating around SFGHQ. Hope you guys actually, like, finish it this time. I would like to play more. :p

A fan-game that gets finished would be something as there aren't many that do. I wonder if a mini-kickstarter could actually get a few fan-games completed.

A fan-game that gets finished would be something as there aren't many that do. I wonder if a mini-kickstarter could actually get a few fan-games completed.

Augh, no, nononono. No kickstarters for fangames. That's treading dangerous territory.

Had three fairly good fangames get finished last year, though! Sonic Classic, Sonic Axiom, and Sonic: Before the Sequel. And despite being labeled a demo, Sonic Fusion might as well be finished at this point given the last release had like, 9 levels, 4 playable characters, and online multiplayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom