• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kokonoe

Banned
Augh, no, nononono. No kickstarters for fangames. That's treading dangerous territory.

Had three fairly good fangames get finished last year, though! Sonic Classic, Sonic Axiom, and Sonic: Before the Sequel. And despite being labeled a demo, Sonic Fusion might as well be finished at this point given the last release had like, 9 levels, 4 playable characters, and online multiplayer.

Ah, I didn't know those games being completed. I'm interested in what "Sonic Classic" is, so I'll google it.

Online multiplayer? That's crazy.

Ah, I didn't know that. I'm interested in what "Sonic Classic" is, so I'll google it.

Online multiplayer? That's crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbSBpG4jYLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYtNBB5dvIY

Hez is already working on Sonic Classic 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQtk3qTsQM

If you can't find a download link, once I get on my main PC I'll pull one up. It's like 400mb, so it doesn't stay up on places like Mediafire for too long because it maxes out its bandwidth.

Kokonoe

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbSBpG4jYLw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYtNBB5dvIY

Hez is already working on Sonic Classic 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgQtk3qTsQM

If you can't find a download link, once I get on my main PC I'll pull one up. It's like 400mb, so it doesn't stay up on places like Mediafire for too long because it maxes out its bandwidth.

Looks good. I also wasn't able to find a valid download link via google, so it would be appreciated.

Sonic: Before the Sequel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ybXlcCNa0
https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbts/

Sonic Classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo7DGxV-Ek8
http://www.mediafire.com/?cttotf97mtmub1g

Sonic Fusion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqNZJUWEEM
http://sonicfusion.ucoz.ru/sagebooth/booth.htm

I have also just been informed that I am mentioned in the latest Sonic 20th LP near the end as being kind of a mildly crazy person
xdnHz.png

TheOGB

Banned
Huh, never realized there were people here (other than Sonic1991) that made some of my favorite fangames (and SFGHQ). I loved playing Emerald Ties, and I probably ran into it because of SFGHQ.

What's next, someone here turns out to be the maker of Super Sonic Knockout?

I have also just been informed that I am mentioned in the latest Sonic 20th LP near the end as being kind of a mildly crazy person
xdnHz.png
Of course you are, you're in a Sonic community thread on NeoGAF.

OMG Aero

xdnHz.png
The Sonic 4 episode?
The only thing I remember from that episode along those lines is when they are talking about people bitching about Sonic having green eyes. If that's the thing you're talking about then it's a bit narcissistic to assume they are talking about you specifically.
I have had Sonic CD on my Xbox hard drive since January, is it worth playing?
Yes.

Is anyone interested in me working more on my iOS port of Sonic SV? just a shame I can't stick it on the app store even for free because it's sonic and sega's IP

The Sonic 4 episode?
The only thing I remember from that episode along those lines is when they are talking about people bitching about Sonic having green eyes. If that's the thing you're talking about then it's a bit narcissistic to assume they are talking about you specifically.

I haven't seen the episode yet myself. A friend of mine told me about it.

If they don't name any names specifically, then maybe it's not me, yeah.

So I played through all of the stages in Generations again today and the strangest thing happened, I enjoyed Classic Planet Wisp, if the spikes controlled better like they do in colours itself (easier manoeuvrability, double jump) that would eliminate part of the problem with this stage.
The music however was replaced by Death Egg, I just couldn't bring myself to try and accept the default music.

Been running through Colors today for fun (and to take a break from Unleashed) and damn, I'm still consistently amazed at how fantastic it is. The script and Eggman's PA announcements still get a laugh from me, the levels just hit all of the right spots aesthetically (in addition to looking fantastic, even considering the hardware), the music is sublime, and above all, I never get frustrated at all when I play it.

Playing Colors just makes me feel... I dunno, happy.

Been running through Colors today for fun (and to take a break from Unleashed) and damn, I'm still consistently amazed at how fantastic it is. The script and Eggman's PA announcements still get a laugh from me, the levels just hit all of the right spots aesthetically (in addition to looking fantastic, even considering the hardware), the music is sublime, and above all, I never get frustrated at all when I play it.

Playing Colors just makes me feel... I dunno, happy.

Happy, yes that is a good way to put it, very few frustrating moments across that game, closest ones I can think of are those instant death push out hazards in some Asteroid Coaster acts (combined with the moving spring for maximum grumbling) and terminal velocity act 1 when the camera decides its going to take the chasing robot out of your view by moving above Sonic.

The only problem with the PA announcements is they make me want to stop running so I can wait for them to finish which is a flow breaker, plus they are kind of tricky to hear.
Perhaps soon I shall dare to go through the challenge mode and have one full sitting of colours.

Lijik

Oh man speaking of Sonic 4 Episode 1, I was playing random VC and Wiiware games while listening to the Giant Bomb. One of these was Sonic 4, and guys did you guys know if you spindash and then when going up an incline press jump, Sonic will launch up in the air like a fucking rocket?

I wound up replaying a good portion of the game dicking around with that. Fucking terrible, but kind of fun in a stupid way

(also I dont know what Kyle is talking about, getting stuck on slopes on accident happens to me every time i play sonic 4)

qq more

Oh yeah, I remember Emerald Ties. One of the higher profile fangames floating around SFGHQ. Hope you guys actually, like, finish it this time. I would like to play more. :p

The bad news is that nothing was worked on for 4 years. We only just returned to the project back in January this year. But a lot has been done in terms of rehauling things. And there's a new level being worked on. (And Sparkling Seaside is finally getting the revamp I've been wanting to do long before that last demo release 4 years ago) Hopefully the demo is ready in time for SAGE 2012.

Augh, no, nononono. No kickstarters for fangames. That's treading dangerous territory.

Had three fairly good fangames get finished last year, though! Sonic Classic, Sonic Axiom, and Sonic: Before the Sequel. And despite being labeled a demo, Sonic Fusion might as well be finished at this point given the last release had like, 9 levels, 4 playable characters, and online multiplayer.

I was finally glad to see 3 fan games done... but I really feel that Axiom could take a few extra months of polishing. There were a lot of things that could of have been polished, such as animations, audio (spindash is TOO loud and overlaps itself). Also, there were some noticeable game ending bugs in the game and it was frustrating. I got myself trapped in a pipe in that lava level and I had to either wait til the timer runs out for a good 8 or so minutes or restart the game and reload the save from Act 1 of the zone. And there was another game ending bug where whenever I beat the final boss... nothing happens. I couldn't move or anything. I waited a good 5 minutes before giving up.

But I think my BIGGEST gripe of the game is how poorly designed the special stages are. Right off the bat they're extremely difficult and involves too many precise platforming. I never bothered with the special stages after a while due to that. It was an okay fan game but I think it could of have been much better.

Before the Sequel was alright, it had a cool idea and it certainly picked up a lot on the 2nd half of the game, but the first half felt very bland. Not to mention the game length felt wayyy too long. I remember it being 3 full acts per 11 or so stages. And this is not counting boss fights. I'm looking forward to the next game.

Sonic Classic is pretty good so far, the better one of the 3. Felt much more polish and has a catchy soundtrack.

I have had Sonic CD on my Xbox hard drive since January, is it worth playing?

Well you already got it, so might as well. It's not as good as the Mega Drive games (Yasuhara really was what made those so good, and he was doing Sonic 2 at the time) but it's certainly... interesting. Kickin' soundtrack(s).

Sciz

Man, the writing in the Mega Man comics is really decent. Love what they're doing with it. Also, this has been one of my favourite parts.
Much as I enjoyed the first year of the series, I'm glad they're slowing down the pacing going forward. The little flashes of personality like that are great, but trying to cram entire games into four issues means that you blink and you miss it. People have built these things into pretty decent novel-length fanfics in the past, there's much more that can be done than these quick instagib battles. The Sonic Genesis arc ran into the same basic problem, but at least that wasn't especially important in the grand scheme of things beyond the last few pages.

Yes. We all wanted to see Dr. Wily in the Amazon.
Setting up for this, at least to some degree. With substantially improved writing, hopefully. Glad to see him mixing some of the minor games in with the main series and original plots, in any case. The subtle nods to a couple songs was also great.

Oh man speaking of Sonic 4 Episode 1, I was playing random VC and Wiiware games while listening to the Giant Bomb. One of these was Sonic 4, and guys did you guys know if you spindash and then when going up an incline press jump, Sonic will launch up in the air like a fucking rocket?

I wound up replaying a good portion of the game dicking around with that. Fucking terrible, but kind of fun in a stupid way

This is the second time I've seen someone mention this recently, and I can't tell if they're just shaking their heads over how exploitable it is in Sonic 4, or if they didn't know that was a thing at all. It's a bit worse there thanks to S4's godawful physics, but you can make some pretty crazy jumps in most of the 2D games.

qq more

Huh, never realized there were people here (other than Sonic1991) that made some of my favorite fangames (and SFGHQ). I loved playing Emerald Ties, and I probably ran into it because of SFGHQ.

Yeah, it was the highest voted fan game at SAGE 2008. I forgot if Sonic 1 Megamix won the most votes in the end though. Such a shame that immediately after the success of the Emerald Ties demo the entire team (except for me) were very busy with life so the project went on haitus for 4 years.

Lijik

This is the second time I've seen someone mention this recently, and I can't tell if they're just shaking their heads over how exploitable it is in Sonic 4, or if they didn't know that was a thing at all. It's a bit worse there thanks to S4's godawful physics, but you can make some pretty crazy jumps in most of the 2D games.

I dunno, trying that exact maneuver in a couple of the classic games didnt create such an insane reaction (in fact just trying it in Sonic 3 a while ago, its no different than an average jump). Its a mixture of just how high you get (its roughly the height the strongest spring can send you, maybe a bit higher), how nonsensical the input is, and how easy it is to create that input.

Sciz

I dunno, trying that exact maneuver in a couple of the classic games didnt create such an insane reaction (in fact just trying it in Sonic 3 a while ago, its no different than an average jump).

It's harder to get a big gain out of it in games that aren't Sonic 4, since a lot of your momentum is usually burned off on horizontal velocity, and the levels don't tend to be built for the trick to be exploitable. But if you get your timing just right, you can nail some pretty huge vertical arcs. It's considerably easier with Super Sonic active, since you aren't really losing momentum going uphill and gain the aerial control that makes it so useful in S4.

My favorite example:

One jump from here:

sth2moonjumpiok22.png

Takes you to here:

sth2moonjump272j34.png

Works in Generations too, where it's good for at least one major shortcut in Chemical Plant.

OMG Aero

Oh, no, yeah. The Runbutton guys totally call me out by name on Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic Pt.130 - Sonic 4 Episode I (2/3). But it's more of a "I only half pay attention to this thing and here's a name of a guy I've heard of and maybe he's cool, but he probably likes Sonic too much? I dunno, I don't know him."
Yeah I just watched this and this isn't bad at all.
All they say is that you seem normal but probably like Sonic too much which sums up everyone in this thread.

Rlan

Oh, no, yeah. The Runbutton guys totally call me out by name on Let's Play 20 Years of Sonic Pt.130 - Sonic 4 Episode I (2/3). But it's more of a "I only half pay attention to this thing and here's a name of a guy I've heard of and maybe he's cool, but he probably likes Sonic too much? I dunno, I don't know him."

The way the Sonic franchise has been battered around since 2006 has made some people go insane. Sonic 2006 especially. I mean you played through the whole thing and got all 1,000 Achievement points -- nobody in their right mind would do that! :p

In particular the crazy thing Sonic fans have attempted to do is "fix" 2006, as if there's something to fix. I mean you also got yourself involved a bit, but the people hacking Sonic 2006 to "fix" it or hacking its levels into other versions of Sonic are undeniably crackpots.

The way the Sonic franchise has been battered around since 2006 has made some people go insane. Sonic 2006 especially. I mean you played through the whole thing and got all 1,000 Achievement points -- nobody in their right mind would do that! :p

In particular the crazy thing Sonic fans have attempted to do is "fix" 2006, as if there's something to fix. I mean you also got yourself involved a bit, but the people hacking Sonic 2006 to "fix" it or hacking its levels into other versions of Sonic are undeniably crackpots.

Haha, I didn't get the full 1000 in Sonic 2006. I did play it way longer than it deserved, though, but again, it was literally the only Xbox 360 game I had for a long while.

Weird that it lists a bunch of Achievements unlocking in November 2011 when I got those back in 2007. I must've gotten them offline and it only sync'd them when I put the game back in to get footage for my Sonic Generations review.

That is odd because if you get an achievement offline it will always show no date for the unlock even after reconnecting to the internet, unless sonic 06 itself handles it differently.

I still remember you getting (winning?) a 360 years back and wanting to review sonic 06.

That is odd because if you get an achievement offline it will always show no date for the unlock even after reconnecting to the internet, unless sonic 06 itself handles it differently.

I still remember you getting (winning?) a 360 years back and wanting to review sonic 06.

Oh no, yeah. Gametrailers had a video contest, and I won the grand prize, which was $1000 in Gamestop gift cards. Got a 360, PS2, and a DS. Pre-ordered Sonic 2006 and got it on launch day.

I wrote out a more detailed account here at one point but I don't feel like looking for it. Wrote something similar about when/why I bought Sonic 2006 on Tumblr, though.

Kokonoe

Banned
I was watching the Forza E3 trailer and decided to mix match it with the Transformed E3 trailer.
Needless to say, it fits.

Sonic: Before the Sequel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ybXlcCNa0
https://sites.google.com/site/sonicbts/

Sonic Classic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oo7DGxV-Ek8
http://www.mediafire.com/?cttotf97mtmub1g

Sonic Fusion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqNZJUWEEM
http://sonicfusion.ucoz.ru/sagebooth/booth.htm

xdnHz.png

Thank you for these. Downloading now.

Meant to respond to this all day yesterday but I ended up spacing it out until just now:

The bad news is that nothing was worked on for 4 years. We only just returned to the project back in January this year. But a lot has been done in terms of rehauling things. And there's a new level being worked on. (And Sparkling Seaside is finally getting the revamp I've been wanting to do long before that last demo release 4 years ago) Hopefully the demo is ready in time for SAGE 2012.

I hope the demo is ready, too. When Emerald Ties vanished from the SAGE roster I was legitimately sad, because even if you guys had only put out demos for like 2-3 years, it was always new content, and it was steadily getting better as time went on. That last demo, I think with the rainy ruins level, was really fun, I thought.

I was finally glad to see 3 fan games done... but I really feel that Axiom could take a few extra months of polishing. There were a lot of things that could of have been polished, such as animations, audio (spindash is TOO loud and overlaps itself). Also, there were some noticeable game ending bugs in the game and it was frustrating. I got myself trapped in a pipe in that lava level and I had to either wait til the timer runs out for a good 8 or so minutes or restart the game and reload the save from Act 1 of the zone. And there was another game ending bug where whenever I beat the final boss... nothing happens. I couldn't move or anything. I waited a good 5 minutes before giving up.

But I think my BIGGEST gripe of the game is how poorly designed the special stages are. Right off the bat they're extremely difficult and involves too many precise platforming. I never bothered with the special stages after a while due to that. It was an okay fan game but I think it could of have been much better.

Oh, absolutely. I mention it because everybody else always seems to drool all over it like its the best thing, but it's definitely really... I know using this word is becoming a faux pas, but "Janky". Vexer did a decent job polishing it up compared to its initial showing (which had the world's ugliest color palettes) but there's still lots of little animation quirks and small hiccups in controls and whatnot. Dude's pretty good at level design, at least.

I haven't played it in months after I reported a bug that got me stuck somewhere. Vexer posted a new build almost immediately with the bug fixed, but I never brought myself to go back to it.

Before the Sequel was alright, it had a cool idea and it certainly picked up a lot on the 2nd half of the game, but the first half felt very bland. Not to mention the game length felt wayyy too long. I remember it being 3 full acts per 11 or so stages. And this is not counting boss fights. I'm looking forward to the next game.

Sonic Classic is pretty good so far, the better one of the 3. Felt much more polish and has a catchy soundtrack.

Outside of the SAGE 2011 demo I never actually got around to playing the full version of Before the Sequel, actually. I downloaded it a few months ago but I ended up getting super sidetracked. The demo was crazy fun, outside of a weird boss encounter that I got stuck on.

LakeFeperd is working on "Sonic Before The Sequel 2012" that polishes a lot of the graphics up and features an original soundtrack. Maybe that'll be better. And yeah, the sequel, Sonic: After the Sequel, looks pretty great, too. LakeFeperd is making a lot of fangame creators look bad given his work ethic. :p

Be thankful you're playing Sonic Classic now; if you think it feels polished, know that it didn't. That's Revision 03. The very first release was all kinds of busted; I think some people couldn't even finish the first level because of weird bugs. I remember playing Revision 01 or Revision 02, getting all the way to the end of the game, and having the cutscene for the final boss not trigger. It's good Hez stuck with it and was dedicated to fixing it, though.

I remember that old sfghq design like it was yesterday, wow.
Same. IIRC it had a MIDI of "The Poets II" from Streets of Rage 3 in the background, didn't it? I remember my mind being blown and immediately going back to that exact site design when I heard the music again in its proper context, at any rate.

And not too long after that, Rlan started doing a Christmas countdown to the release of Sonic Robo Blast 2 Demo 2, which really blew my mind at the time. Fast forward 12 years, and I'm actually a member of Sonic Team Jr. Small world.

qq more

Same. IIRC it had a MIDI of "The Poets II" from Streets of Rage 3 in the background, didn't it? I remember my mind being blown and immediately going back to that exact site design when I heard the music again in its proper context, at any rate.

And not too long after that, Rlan started doing a Christmas countdown to the release of Sonic Robo Blast 2 Demo 2, which really blew my mind at the time. Fast forward 12 years, and I'm actually a member of Sonic Team Jr. Small world.

Ah. I remember the SRB2 community. Do you remember Skornedemon? Guy was fucking irritating to deal with.

I don't think I missed seeing this anywhere in here: Sonic 4's getting an OST release.

Hopefully the fact that they're doing this now means that an Episode 3 is dead in the water.

Yes, having played Sonic 3 and Generations earlier this week I stepped back to episode 2 earlier and decided I do not want another episode of this style of Sonic, where a failed homing attack is the great momentum giver.
Well on the plus side a good quality version of Mad Gear act 3 should keep the CD from being a complete waste, it should be subtitled the good, the bad and the ugly.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Much as I enjoyed the first year of the series, I'm glad they're slowing down the pacing going forward. The little flashes of personality like that are great, but trying to cram entire games into four issues means that you blink and you miss it. People have built these things into pretty decent novel-length fanfics in the past, there's much more that can be done than these quick instagib battles. The Sonic Genesis arc ran into the same basic problem, but at least that wasn't especially important in the grand scheme of things beyond the last few pages.
Yeah, definitely. It's nice that they're four-issue arcs because it's easier to release the issue volumes quicker that way (I guess--and it serves to tie up the arc quickly), but you'll lose some stuff in the meantime... and you might not be able to expand on a lot of points that you've set into motion.

Setting up for this, at least to some degree. With substantially improved writing, hopefully. Glad to see him mixing some of the minor games in with the main series and original plots, in any case. The subtle nods to a couple songs was also great.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking--I hope the writing's better for that in general. I didn't notice the nods to those songs before. At least Flynn's covering all of his bases instead of being restricted to the mainline games. I was afraid Mega Man was just going to slip into that trap.

I don't think I missed seeing this anywhere in here: Sonic 4's getting an OST release.
Oh. :|

Nocturnowl said:
Well on the plus side a good quality version of Mad Gear act 3 should keep the CD from being a complete waste, it should be subtitled the good, the bad and the ugly.
Should... should I put Sonic 4: Episode 2 on my list of candidates for Soundtrack of the Year?

Should... should I put Sonic 4: Episode 2 on my list of candidates for Soundtrack of the Year?
Well it would be interesting to see how you'd describe what makes it so great, actually that's cruel, it would be a punishing task possibly leading to sleepless nights.

But I guess admittedly it's not all bad.
Plus the beginning of Oil Desert Act 2 never fails to amuse me for all the wrong reasons.

Humorously one of the top comments on a Sonic 4 track was based around Sonic Generations and its plot holes, tickled my ribs it did.

Hopefully the fact that they're doing this now means that an Episode 3 is dead in the water.
Yes indeed! And I couldn't give any less of a crap about Senoue and his tinny-tin synth shit! It is the eternal Sonic-GAF/Game Music-GAF punch-bag at this point, AFAIK.

There's no reason to stack such a soundtrack up against everything else this year, anyway. That's torture!

Sonic GAF's musical punching bag will forever be something very dark, almost like a brotherhood of darkness but I dare even whisper of it or else the Professor will turn up and doom us all to its sheer awfulness.

Okay: that's more like our absinthe. We can only take in so much before we have to, well, spit it out.

But a punch-bag? Never a bad time to give it a whirl. Unless the Captain America of Sonic-GAF comes in and breaks it.

Sonic GAF's musical punching bag will forever be something very dark, almost like a brotherhood of darkness but I dare even whisper of it or else the Professor will turn up and doom us all to its sheer awfulness.

I knew there was a reason i woke up a while ago. I haven't had breakfast yet, and I'm trying to get the FFV Fiesta started, so unfortunately I will not be posting SonicGAF's theme song...for now.

I knew there was a reason i woke up a while ago. I haven't had breakfast yet, and I'm trying to get the FFV Fiesta started, so unfortunately I will not be posting SonicGAF's theme song...for now.

I like the idea that you get bolted up out of sleep from its very mention, it is your curse to endure.
My ears are safe for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom