• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread: Green Hills and Laughing Iizukas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late. I was born evil, as were you and the rest. It's merely a matter of perspective—the greater the perspective, the more effective the evil!

Those instruments would be an improvement, if the music stayed just as comical.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That bass-line keeps meowing back at me. Nope. Can't do it.
So that's where they got the inspiration for Sonic 4's music. :O

Marble Zone and Star Light Zone are good examples of this.

Remember when we said you would snap and turn evil one day?
I feel so awful about it. I think I'm going to take him out later for ice cream and juice or something to make it up to him. I hate when he's sad cuz he shouldn't ever be sad! D:

Man, GBA sounds can be so good when they're original pieces like in Mother 3 or The Minish Cap, but if they're ports... ugh.
It's pretty baffling, even Super Mario World with its basic soundtrack manages to come off as noticeably worse, Dave Wise had the right idea to just make a new soundtrack for the DKC3 port, it's not worth mangling the originals.

Remember when we said you would snap and turn evil one day?
Darkspine Schala in action, bet she's going to wish for unlimited handkerchiefs for her bro to make amends, that's the Sonic way.

And Kokonoe is some snarky cat thing as far as I know.

Whoa. THAT HAS NO RIGHT TO BE THAT GOOD!

I don't even like most mash-ups. But dat chord progression and mixture of lyrics and backing tracks works so well. Like an R.E.M. version of the DuckTales theme.

Then who is I, Nocturne-owl?

GBA music an sound very good if you're careful with the soundfont.

I don't know where you're getting that e from but you are using it to besmirch my good name, actually it's kind of funny how Nocturne can be a music based term and when Sonic used it we got the worst remix of all time.

But anyway I certainly agree that GBA can make good music, hell DKC3 GBA is one of my favourite GBA soundtracks along with the previously mentioned Mother 3, though we've had our differences on the 3rd gen pokemon music front so I can see where you may pick up some anti-GBA sound angle from.

It's time we come clean. All of us talk about you.

GBBXs.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
It's a little repetitive, but in a good way. At least that's how I view it. It's one of the most coolest sounding tracks from any Sonic game or game period I've listened too.

I agree also that the level was certainly the most fun mech shooting stage in the game. It at least shows that they can take these side characters and introduce more aspects to them to make them enjoyable.

Personally? I was fine with Eggman's shooting stages, for the most part. The desert stuff went on too long, but levels like Lost Colony, Cosmic Wall, and Weapons Bed had a healthy dose of secrets, linear platforming, and balls-out shooting. Tails had tripe like Eternal Engine, which just sucked even with its climactic finish.

Kokonoe

Banned
Personally? I was fine with Eggman's shooting stages, for the most part. The desert stuff went on too long, but levels like Lost Colony, Cosmic Wall, and Weapons Bed had a healthy dose of secrets, linear platforming, and balls-out shooting. Tails had tripe like Eternal Engine, which just sucked even with its climactic finish.

I honestly enjoyed every single alternate play style besides Big The Cat's fishing from the Adventure games. It's also not because it was fishing, but it was because the fishing mechanic is terrible.

Fishing was fine, actually. But I'll never like Amy outside of Fakery Way. Too slow and prodding for my tastes, and Big's stuff was easy and a decent chance to sober-up after some hard-ass E-102 shootan.

I honestly enjoyed every single alternate play style besides Big The Cat's fishing from the Adventure games. It's also not because it was fishing, but it was because the fishing mechanic is terrible.
Actually, yeah, I kind of liked the alternate game mechanics in the Adventure series. I mean, Sonic's was still the best, hands-down, and I think Adventure did the shooting and emerald hunting better than Adventure 2 did, but I still found it relatively solid.

Adventure had the right balance in most of its play-styles. Treasure hunting wasn't terribly-easy, nor was it tedious and difficult—very interesting to play, actually. And I love having time-limits that I can circumvent with carefully-placed lock-on combos, which was what E-102 did so well.

BlackJace

Actually, yeah, I kind of liked the alternate game mechanics in the Adventure series. I mean, Sonic's was still the best, hands-down, and I think Adventure did the shooting and emerald hunting better than Adventure 2 did, but I still found it relatively solid.

I though SA2's treasure hunting mechanic was waaay better than SA1. Most stages could be completed in 30 seconds in SA1.

Aquatic Mine was a fucking chore, as were the later treasure-hunt levels in general. And I can't stand Hunnid-P, unfortunately. Pumpkin Hill was the only level I really liked because of its scope.

Kokonoe

Banned
I think I may have liked the mech shooting a lot more in Adventure 1, but I agree with BlackJace about the treasure hunting. It was just too easy in the first game. In Sonic Adventure 2 is it more entertainingly challenging, but you get to explore more of the level which I find fun.

But yeah, Sonic/Shadow gameplay in the Adventure series are certainly the top while Big The Cat and Amy are the least. At least with Amy you could do this awesome hammer jump flip.

I was really disappointed when I found out that SA2's shooting stages didn't retain the time/combo mechanic that Gamma's stages had. That was by far my favorite thing about Gamma's stages in SA1.

Eggman's SA2 stages were mostly decent, though. The only Tails stage I remember liking was Mission Street.

I mean, I liked the larger stages from SA2's hunting segments (to a fault; the ARK stages might've had too much verticality for their own damn good), but being forced to only hunt for one emerald piece at a time in a specific order rather blew.

Oh, that's right: Meteor Herd was so fun to fuck around on. Just diving from the bottom-hilt of the ARK to the big asteroid was so fun. Much more interesting than, you know, traversing that enormous level looking for stuff that was in odd places.

Mission Street was okay, as was Prison Lane. The other levels were just sub-par anyway.

Anth0ny

Looks like SA2 is definitely coming to XBLA.

October 3rd. I guess this is going to be their Sonic game for the year.

In the fight between heroes and villains, will you choose to save the world or conquer it? The hunt for the Chaos Emeralds is on and battle lines have been drawn between Hero and Dark. Experience two unique adventures featuring both long-time heroes and new and returning villains as they battle for the fate of the world! Sonic Adventure™ 2 makes its return on Xbox LIVE Arcade with a full cast of playable heroes and villains, exciting two-player competitive modes, Chao Gardens, and more than 30 action-packed stages, all remastered in HD!

Sonic Adventure™ 2

Original release date: 10/3/2012
Developer: SEGA
Publisher: SEGA
Genre: Action & Adventure, Platformer, Classics

Features

Offline players 1 - 2
Dolby Digital

Online features

Content downloads
Leaderboards

OYBlg.jpg

qq more

I was really disappointed when I found out that SA2's shooting stages didn't retain the time/combo mechanic that Gamma's stages had. That was by far my favorite thing about Gamma's stages in SA1.

Eggman's SA2 stages were mostly decent, though. The only Tails stage I remember liking was Mission Street.

Agreed. Except for Mission Street, I did not like that level at all... it was so slow and boring. Man, they really made Tails' level so lame in SA2.

Also, unpopular opinion but for all of the things people usually say about SA2 (that the speed levels are the best part)... I agree that they are the best part but Shadow's levels were kind of bland save for a few like Final Chase.

Seems to be the Battle version, for better or worse (presumably better).

Also, given that it's proper widescreen, I hope it's horiz+ and not vert-.

Also, unpopular opinion but for all of the things people usually say about SA2 (that the speed levels are the best part)... I agree that they are the best part but Shadow's levels were kind of bland save for a few like Final Chase.

I agree, except I thought Final Chase was his worst stage. Sonic's stages decimate Shadow's stages.

Agreed. Except for Mission Street, I did not like that level at all... it was so slow and boring. Man, they really made Tails' level so lame in SA2.
True enough. I guess I just like it because it's the lesser of evils like Hidden Base and Eternal Engine.

Final Chase was good. White Jungle's my personal favorite.

Edit: Content Downloads? Surely they wouldn't pull the same thing they did with SA1 where the DX content was locked out as DLC, would they?

qq more

Yeah I remember thinking White Jungle was good. I used to LOVE Radical Highway... then when I replayed SA2, I realized how bland that level really was. :l

Kokonoe

Banned
Not sure which one I'd pick over the other in Adventure 2. I'll wait till I revisit the game when this comes out. However, Radical Highway and White Jungle are great.

For me, Sonic actually had the worst level in this style with Crazy Gadget.

Not sure which one I'd pick over the other in Adventure 2. I'll wait till I revisit the game when this comes out. However, Radical Highway and White Jungle are great.

For me, Sonic actually had the worst level in this style with Crazy Gadget.

Yeah, as much as I don't really like Final Chase, Crazy Gadget takes the award for worst speed stage, never forget the bounce bracelet into light dash section of screwy input deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom