• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed (360 digital) on sale for the 2nd time ever - XBO BC imminent?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
EDqhD4z.gif

Unleashed - is it good? is it bad? is it fine? we'll never agree.

what is objectively true however, is that it's stuck in lastgen prison with no PC port in sight.
and that it's on sale for $10 on XBLA.

NA: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/SONIC-UNLEASHED/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450812
UK: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-gb/Product/SONIC-UNLEASHED/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80253450812

it's interesting though that this is only the second time that the digital version of Sonic Unleashed has ever gone on sale according to storeparser. Could this suggest backwards compatibility is right around the corner?

idk, maybe~!
either way, i figured i would bring this to people's attention since
A: it's so rarely on sale
B: it's currently cheaper than gamestop & amazon used prices.

/edit/ according to SEGA the sale lasts until 7/18 (tuesday)
Here is a link to all the games on sale:
https://t.co/lCKGlutO3q

conpfreak

Pretty decent game if you download a save and not play the night levels. The night levels...were just not what I was looking for in a Sonic game. Time is better spent elsewhere than playing through those. Some of the later daytime levels are problematic though, requiring twitch reactions to clear some of the gaps and wrong turns.

Sami+

I would buy a PC version or remaster of this game so fucking fast. One of the worst things about the stupid werehog was that the game ran at like 20 fps every time his fur was on screen. Yuck.

TimPV3

Hard to take "only the 2nd time ever!" seriously when the last time it was on sale was less than 6 months ago.

Tizoc

You wouldve thought that sega, you know the ones who released streets of rage, yakuza and a few other neat brawlers, wouldve gotten them werehog stages to be worth a damn but noooooo
It is like They got the team behind altered beast ps2 to work on it instead....

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Hard to take "only the 2nd time ever!" seriously when the last time it was on sale was less than 6 months ago.

take seriously? it's what it is. the game has been available digitally since 2015 and never goes on sale when other sonic games do.

It'd be a good time to make this and Generations available on Xbone BC in time for Mania and Forces

This would make me buy an Xbox One, no joke

im_dany

You're not completely wrong but Storeparser only has recent data, you should also use xbldb for older infos: http://xbldb.com/offers/002-364

It's actually been on sale twice before this week, and the sale started between monday and tuesday, so if they wanted to make it BC this week they would've done it either on tuesday or thursday I guess.

I'll still go to bat for this game whenever possible.

Pretty much glitchless in a normal playthrough, the worst you can say about the Werehog is it's boring. The day levels are masterful and better than anything that's come since (though I feel Colors and Generations are better overall packages).

It also felt like the last Sonic game that had any scope to it. If they'd replaced Werehog with Knuckles and thrown in a Chao garden they could have easily called it Sonic Adventure 3 and no one would have bat an eye.

Daytime levels are great.
Nighttime levels are okay, but get repetitive, especially with the battle theme coming uo every time.

It's a pretty good game.

If OP's supposition proves correct, then I'm in. Unleashed is a gorgeous game, daytime stages were phenomenal, and I can tolerate the werehog.

I would buy a PC version or remaster of this game so fucking fast. One of the worst things about the stupid werehog was that the game ran at like 20 fps every time his fur was on screen. Yuck.

Yup. Adding/modding in a drop shadow would also be pretty nice on top of the performance improvements.

You wouldve thought that sega, you know the ones who released streets of rage, yakuza and a few other neat brawlers, wouldve gotten them werehog stages to be worth a damn but noooooo
It is like They got the team behind altered beast ps2 to work on it instead....

I think the brawler aspect of Unleashed is fine. The progression is a bit slow for my taste but higher werehog level allows to do some neat tricks.

Unleashed is truly a underrated game.

Strange if it's on sale so rarely on Xbox Live - it's been on sale on EU PSN for lots of times and we know there's no BC coming for any Playstation.

shaowebb

Game is a dumpster fire of bad camera angles and worse mechanics for a ton of levels it not only forces you to play but to S rank in order to get sun tokens to even dream of playing a single Sonic daytime stage again.

HARD. PASS.

This game doesn't just force feed you stages that are other than Sonic running stages...it shovels them down your throat with both hands.

I don't think there's any correlation with sales and BC announcements. Still though this is a solid game, worth it for the daytime stages for sure!

Guess Who

Banned
Everyone thinks the werehog is the “bad” part of the game, but it’s really just mediocre. The medals are truly the game’s fatal flaw.

Fantomex

I've tried to figure out why a small margin of people have a soft spot for this game. It's the worst Sonic game ever made and one of the worst games I've ever played. Camera, Hit Boxes, Frame Drops, it has every possible flaw you can think of.

One of the most solid Sonic games ever made, lambasted by scorned reviewers expecting another Black-Knight-06 level turd. Also one of the best looking and sounding games of the generation. Wish it would get a remaster for XB1/PS4.

Guess Who

Banned
I've tried to figure out why a small margin of people have a soft spot for this game. It's the worst Sonic game ever made and one of the worst games I've ever played. Camera, Hit Boxes, Frame Drops, it has every possible flaw you can think of.

Buddy, this ain’t even in the top five worst Sonic games.

The Sonic stages are genuinely great (save the frame rate, particularly in Adabat), the werehog levels were overlong but at least functional (which is more than can be said for many alternate play styles in other Sonic games), the music is great, it was visually beautiful and impressive for the time, and it was the basis for better games (Colors and Generations).

bede-x

Shouldn't it have a good chance of becoming BC considering a lot of other Sonic games are already on the program? I'll pick it up if it happens and won't mind paying normal price at that point.

Not the worst Sonic game or the worst mainline Sonic game. It has its share of flaws but is mostly ok and came out after a string of poor games with Sonic in the name making it seem better comparatively.

Berordn

There's very few people who defend the Werehog, where most of those technical issues are. The daytime stages are generally fine and became the first 3D formula they've iterated on heavily, leading to games that are generally well regarded such as Colors and Generations.

Yes the pacing and Hog of War segments are dumb, but you'll not see anyone up in arms for criticizing that.

Nepenthe

Most of the flaws come down to creative design, as with the rest of the boost games.

It either jives with you or doesn't.

I don't know how anyone can even say this in a world that contains Sonic 06.

I'm one of those sad saps who actually really likes the game for its story. Struck a good balance between serious, and the lighter tone that crept its way back into being the default - not unlike the Pixar movies that the artstyle was clearly trying to emulate. It also brought the core cast back down to a manageable level (though god knows where Knuckles went), and I thought Chip was actually a decent addition to the cast, if in need of better voice direction. I have a particular fondness for just how... relaxed it feels, in all.

Nepenthe

I'm one of those sad saps who actually really likes the game for its story. Struck a good balance between serious, and the lighter tone that crept its way back into being the default - not unlike the Pixar movies that the artstyle was clearly trying to emulate. It also brought the core cast back down to a manageable level (though god knows where Knuckles went), and I thought Chip was actually a decent addition to the cast, if in need of better voice direction. I have a particular fondness for just how... relaxed it feels, in all.

Agreed. The whole game is basically a response that Sonic Team mostly got the message from the fallout of Sonic 06, but the best thing about it is that it doesn't do itself a disservice by taking this to the logical conclusion and sacrificing all manner of properly established stakes and consequences for the sake of humor because "herpaderp hedgehogs" (which they admittedly tried to return to in Lost World, but christ). There's a large ever-present problem that Sonic must fix as well as a personal score he must settle
which is why the Unleashed version of Egg Dragoon will forever be the best one
, but the global and slowly-progressing nature of the problem leaves him and the player with the choice to explore the world more leisurely and actually care about Earth and its inhabitants, which makes both Chip's revelation and the finale actually meaningful beyond end-game shenanigans. And mixed in with all of this are mild thematic exploration about how friendship plays out and is affected by food and culture that's better than all of the Sonic and Tails stories we've gotten since. The whole thing is kind of like a weird proto Breath of the Wild type story, and it's one of the most well-done and surprisingly sympathetic narratives Sonic Team has actually done.

Then we got Pontaff and it all went to shit. 8'D

marmoka

Banned
It's a good game. Werehog levels are good, but too long. And day levels are awesome.

It will not be a great Sonic game, but it's good. This is an underrated Sonic game, along with 3D Blast and Lost World.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I can understand why folks would dislike the Werehog stuff, but I genuinely enjoyed it, especially once you unlock some of the more advanced techniques.

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you what to like though.

Top Bottom