• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed (360 digital) on sale for the 2nd time ever - XBO BC imminent?

Nepenthe

I low key like the Werehog both as a gameplay addition, narrative vehicle, and character design (look at him; he's fucking hilarious) and my biggest regret with him is that they didn't instead make him a platforming character dependent upon Spiderman-like swinging to get around and gain speed and height, because I wanted to do this so badly after watching the cut scene.

But then again, the Avatar from Forces has a grappling hook...... The grass is always greener and all that.

EmiPrime

I rented it on PS3 bitd and I didn't care for it. The frame rate was all over the shop as it was an unlocked 60fps but would dip well under 30fps at times. If it gets made BC with a nice frame rate and the price goes down further (I don't really want to spend much more than £3) I will give it another chance.

I've tried to figure out why a small margin of people have a soft spot for this game. It's the worst Sonic game ever made and one of the worst games I've ever played. Camera, Hit Boxes, Frame Drops, it has every possible flaw you can think of.

Terrible post

At the very LEAST, 06, Boom, Shadow, and Labyrinth are objectively worse, and I'd personally argue Adventure 1 and 2 because they really didn't age all that well. Heroes probably as well, since it was flawed on arrival, but I haven't played it in years.

Agreed. The whole game is basically a response that Sonic Team mostly got the message from the fallout of Sonic 06, but the best thing about it is that it doesn't do itself a disservice by taking this to the logical conclusion and sacrificing all manner of properly established stakes and consequences for the sake of humor because "herpaderp hedgehogs" (which they admittedly tried to return to in Lost World, but christ). There's a large ever-present problem that Sonic must fix as well as a personal score he must settle
which is why the Unleashed version of Egg Dragoon will forever be the best one
, but the global and slowly-progressing nature of the problem leaves him and the player with the choice to explore the world more leisurely and actually care about Earth and its inhabitants, which makes both Chip's revelation and the finale actually meaningful beyond end-game shenanigans. And mixed in with all of this are mild thematic exploration about how friendship plays out and is affected by food and culture that's better than all of the Sonic and Tails stories we've gotten since. The whole thing is kind of like a weird proto Breath of the Wild type story, and it's one of the most well-done and surprisingly sympathetic narratives Sonic Team has actually done.

Then we got Pontaff and it all went to shit. 8'D

The cultural stuff is another aspect of the game I really like. It gave it a sense of style that the later games, outside of maybe Colors, honestly haven't replicated since. Everything was rooted in, but was also a stylised sendup of, real world locations, which to me has much more appeal and staying power than the now standard assortment of pick and mix levels.

And yes, they really needed to lean into the platforming elements of the werehog more, or otherwise, better. What they have in the game as is, is basic enough to be dull, while the fighting is used to pad stuff out to the point it can get frustrating. And thing is, given that many people have harped on how max speed all the time is missing what Sonic was originally about, it could have been a decent compromise to have a slower paced, more platform driven section.

Though god, watching that cutscene really makes me hope that if a BC version happens, it irons out the framerate. Microsoft did such good work with Blue Dragon, I'm sure they could get Unleashed to a locked 30 FPS. Would be the definitive way to play.

Nepenthe

I rented it on PS3 bitd and I didn't care for it. The frame rate was all over the shop as it was an unlocked 60fps but would dip well under 30fps at times.

Your first mistake was getting it on PS3, because of the frame rate issues. 360 version is locked at 30 and thus whatever dips occur don't hit the experience as much.

It's also missing some neat little transformation loading screens when you shift the time of day in the hubs. I honestly have no idea why. Regardless, 360 version is commonly toted as the best one.

Agreed. The whole game is basically a response that Sonic Team mostly got the message from the fallout of Sonic 06, but the best thing about it is that it doesn't do itself a disservice by taking this to the logical conclusion and sacrificing all manner of properly established stakes and consequences for the sake of humor because "herpaderp hedgehogs" (which they admittedly tried to return to in Lost World, but christ). There's a large ever-present problem that Sonic must fix as well as a personal score he must settle
which is why the Unleashed version of Egg Dragoon will forever be the best one
, but the global and slowly-progressing nature of the problem leaves him and the player with the choice to explore the world more leisurely and actually care about Earth and its inhabitants, which makes both Chip's revelation and the finale actually meaningful beyond end-game shenanigans. And mixed in with all of this are mild thematic exploration about how friendship plays out and is affected by food and culture that's better than all of the Sonic and Tails stories we've gotten since. The whole thing is kind of like a weird proto Breath of the Wild type story, and it's one of the most well-done and surprisingly sympathetic narratives Sonic Team has actually done.

Then we got Pontaff and it all went to shit. 8'D

you, I like

EmiPrime

Your first mistake was getting it on PS3, because of the frame rate issues. 360 version is locked at 30 and thus whatever dips occur don't hit the experience as much.

It's also missing some neat little transformation loading screens when you shift the time of day in the hubs. I honestly have no idea why. Regardless, 360 version is commonly toted as the best one.

I probably would have had the same issues with it as dips below 30 are always unacceptable. I would maybe revisit it via BC or a future port however.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I'm hoping you're right OP.

I'll always give Unleashed a pass because it was a good risk and also the necessary framework to give us Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors, which were good B tier games. We could have had a darker timeline where the games followed the framework of the Dreamcast games and 06(which was inspired by the janky, bad level design of the Dreamcast ones).

What I can't give a pass are the bad ones after Unleashed, Sonic Boom and Sonic Lost World(which had all the means to be good but the execution was bad).

I can understand why folks would dislike the Werehog stuff, but I genuinely enjoyed it, especially once you unlock some of the more advanced techniques.

I'm not gonna sit here and tell you what to like though.

The Werehog is something that definitely improves the more you play it. When you level it up well and learn the stage layout/what battles you can skip night stages actually end up becoming about the same length as day stages, if not surprisingly shorter. They still fit in with the arcade mindset of the day stages/series as a whole quite well and pushing for a better, flawless performance can hold a similar thrill to the day stages.

Problem is the build-up of the Werehog's kit feels much slower than Sonic's considering how impactful and complimentary almost every stat is. On top of that the initial impressions of night vs day stages are really...night and day, so unless you're truly taken in by the great aesthetic of night stages then you'll have to want to go back and improve at them/level up the werehog.

The Werehog is something that definitely improves the more you play it. When you level it up well and learn the stage layout/what battles you can skip night stages actually end up becoming about the same length as day stages, if not surprisingly shorter. They still fit in with the arcade mindset of the day stages/series as a whole quite well and pushing for a better, flawless performance can hold a similar thrill to the day stages.

Problem is the build-up of the Werehog's kit feels much slower than Sonic's considering how impactful and complimentary almost every stat is. On top of that the initial impressions of night vs day stages are really...night and day, so unless you're truly taken in by the great aesthetic of night stages then you'll have to want to go back and improve at them/level up the werehog.

The fact that regular Sonic only has two stat bars, while the Werehog has like, half a dozen (possibly more, I forget), feels telling. I remember having fun mainly by the time I'd levelled him up to the point that the move list actually felt expansive and varied. It sorta became an exercise in experimentation.

mas8705

Makes me want to see PSO get some Backwards Compatability love somewhere (whether if it is PSO for Xbox or PSU for the 360), but I know that's not going to happen sadly...

Still, I did recall finding the 360 version of Unleashed being... good. Werehog parts left alot to be desired, but I'd play it again if it was set up for BC.

Does the PC Sonic Generation mod include every not-werehog stages?

I believe so. At the very least, they cover all the major ones.

Man, it'd be interesting to see a comparison between a BC version of the game, and a modded version of Unleashed. I remember there being some difficulty in exactly replicating the look of the game due to tweaks in the shading process, which I think was scaled back for performance purposes in Generations.

Godcannon

Sensitive Gaf, cover your ears.

It's my favorite Sonic and the only other ones I like are Adventure 1 and 2.

Edit:whoops, and Colors.

Simply put, the Daytime levels are the Sonic experience I've always wanted.

If you get it, get the daytime dlc too.

*runs away*

Does the PC Sonic Generation mod include every not-werehog stages?

Sort of, there's the Unleashed Project that ports / tweaks all of the first daytime stages of each location (excluding Eggman Land). Originally, a 2.0 version of the project that intended to port the remaining daytime acts over was being developed, but abandoned due to dev's personal reasons IIRC.

While very polished, the mod still has some issues, such as S rank requirements being extremely strict to accomplish and the sled in Cool Edge not being 1:1 to Unleashed's version

The nighttime DLC is also pretty nice. It has a lot more straightforward pure platform levels, alongside combat stages too. Always been fond of the vibe from Act 4 of Savannah Citadel myself.

Though I don't remember if you can even buy them separately lol.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
shit there's SIX dlc packs on XBL. looks like each of them includes daytime & nighttime stages? it's like $20 to get all of them, and xbox doesn't have a shopping cart system so you have to buy them individually... sigh

Daingurse

If you don't have a PC, then buy this. Unleashed is an underated Sonic game, I had a blast with it on 360. Even the Werehog couldn't ruin the game for me.

I really liked it, aside from framerate issues on PS3. Werehog levels are admittedly slow at first, but as you go along, you unlock moves that help you blast through some of the platforming. Combat gets a little fun as well, albeit nothing groundbreaking. And I don't have to say much about the Daytime levels, as it seems that they're generally well received.

Xbox One BC would be great; the second best thing to a PC port would be a way to play the game at a consistent framerate, and if I recall correctly, some games hit higher frames on Xbox One thanks to its GPU, right? 10 dollars isn't bad; I think I bought it for 15$, and beat it in about ten hours. If you like modern Sonic, it's definitely worth giving a shot!

if u have generations on steam, just download the mod for it that lets you play all of the daytime levels from unleashed, it's pretty amazing from a technical standpoint that it exists, but it's a really really cool mod

Daingurse

Yep.

Yep.

Opinions, how do they work?

The Werehog's existence makes it hard for me to put Unleashed over Generations. Wasn't the worst thing ever, but I did not care for it. Without the Werehog, it would be much harder for me to decide.

Also, I actually like the Werehog quite a bit from a design perspective, lol.

WillyFive

This game had such wonderful musical score, graphics, and the daytime gameplay was the introduction of the near perfected Sonic 3D gameplay.

Feffe

Sort of, there's the Unleashed Project that ports / tweaks all of the first daytime stages of each location (excluding Eggman Land). Originally, a 2.0 version of the project that intended to port the remaining daytime acts over was being developed, but abandoned due to dev's personal reasons IIRC.
How much original content do the other acts have? I'm not familiar with Unleashed levels and I thought the mod had everything, as it had a similar length to Generations.

Camjo-Z

I can't believe that this/Generations/Adventure 1 & 2 aren't on Xbone BC but Sonic 4 is. At this point I just hope they're intentionally holding it back as a pre-Mania/Forces surprise or something.

Guess Who

Banned
How much original content do the other acts have? I'm not familiar with Unleashed levels and I thought the mod had everything, as it had a similar length to Generations.

Most of the other acts were pretty similar to the missions in Generations.

Am I one of the only people who kinda enjoyed the werehog levels?
Nah, they were alright. I think most people hated them because there were a lot of segments that forced you to stop and fight, which kind of goes against Sonic norms. I personally enjoyed them as a little break from the frenetic pace of the daytime stages. Not perfect, but I felt the combat itself was fun once you leveled up WereSonic's moveset a bit.

I thought this was gonna be a Hot Take but this thread is pretty level-headed.

Unleashed was a good game when it came out and it's still enjoyable if you have the patience for some of the padding. Some of the critic reviews for that game were ludicrous (Gamespot's infamous 3.0 score. People found out that the reviewer only made it to about the halfway point thanks to their achievement list).

The Daytime Stages are a ton of fun. I prefer the levels in Generations since the ones in Unleashed are a tad too linear and have little platforming but they're still a joy to rush through. The Werehog isn't even that bad, honestly. The big problem with him is that his stages are too long.

The hub world stuff is honestly my biggest problem with the game. You spend too much time talking to people and walking around small towns. You might actually spend less time as the Werehog, honestly.

I really admire Sonic Unleashed for it's ambition. Similarly to Sonic Adventure, Unleashed was about taking Sonic into 3D in a new and exciting way and I think they did a great job. The foundation was set up for Colors and Generations (and maybe Forces, we'll see).

Unleashed was a good game when it came out and it's still enjoyable if you have the patience for some of the padding. Some of the critic reviews for that game were ludicrous (Gamespot's infamous 3.0 score. People found out that the reviewer only made it to about the halfway point thanks to their achievement list).

The Daytime Stages are a ton of fun. I prefer the levels in Generations since the ones in Unleashed are a tad too linear and have little platforming but they're still a joy to rush through. The Werehog isn't even that bad, honestly. The big problem with him is that his stages are too long.

The hub world stuff is honestly my biggest problem with the game. You spend too much time talking to people and walking around small towns. You might actually spend less time as the Werehog, honestly.

I really admire Sonic Unleashed for it's ambition. Similarly to Sonic Adventure, Unleashed was about taking Sonic into 3D in a new and exciting way and I think they did a great job. The foundation was set up for Colors and Generations (and maybe Forces, we'll see).

I have a feeling that the game is best to revisit with a save where you've already levelled Sonic up fully, and unlocked all the levels. I could tolerate the grind well enough, but I could understand it being absolutely frustrating - doesn't seem surprising Sega rather quietly dropped the whole 'scavenge for collectables in easy to miss locations to unlock the next story mission' angle.

Am I one of the only people who kinda enjoyed the werehog levels?

The gameplay was functionally competent and I personally enjoyed it. Definitely the best of the "other gameplay styles" that games since Adventure have shoehorned in.

It's more the idea of the Werehog itself that's annoying. Switch it out with Knuckles and I feel like the gameplay would've been way more well received.

iirc it was actually IGN that failed to finish the game according to achievements.

And then when people called them out on it, they laughed about it on their podcast. Classy!

Shizzlee

Unleashed daytime is legit and still the best of the boost games, especially with the DLC. Werehog can fuck off. I don't see anything redeemable about it. Combat is boring. Dude controls horribly and is slippery as fuck. Medal collecting can also fuck off. Tornado defense can also fuck off. Overall Unleashed is bad, but them daytime stages are nuts. Damn shame cause the production values were pretty high. Plot, cutscenes, and music were all top-notch.

Pretty decent game if you download a save and not play the night levels.

Yep. Doing anything else but playing a daytime stage felt like a waste of time. They need to be experienced. Pretty much perfection, except for the QTE ramps.

benbeaux

Banned
Honestly, Unleashed was pretty bad. Sonic was a slippery shit to control and I thought the level design for the day stages became rather hellish about 2/3's the way through the game. I still can't fathom why they would map the homing attack to the boost button and then add an air boost on top of it (granted the homing attack is much more reliable in this game than in previous Sonic games, but it still caused me a bit of frustration whenever Sonic decided he didn't want to lock-on to an enemy and boosted himself into oblivion). The pacing of the game was absolutely fucked because of mandatory medal collection (because the first thing you want to do in the fast daytime stages is slow down and look for medals).

And then you have the Werehog. It's functional and that's about the best I can say about it. The enemies don't challenge your combat capabilities in any significant way, the puzzles are embarrassingly simple, and the platforming is as boring and bare bones as it gets. And then there's that battle theme that interrupts the night stage's pretty awesome music almost every time you get into a fight. Also, the Werehog takes up so much of the game's overall playtime, it's ridiculous, and it gets even worse when you have to back to look for medals.

The story was rather drab for me too. I don't care much for the bigger stories like this game and the Adventures had. I always thought Sonic stories work better as when they're a smaller, like a Saturday morning cartoon kind of thing (I thought stories like Colors and Lost World worked rather well even if Lost World needed a bit more worldbuilding for the Lost Hex). I also didn't care much for Sonic and Chip's relationship throughout the game (I thought Chip was a rather boring character all together honestly). The best parts was whenever Eggman showed up, and that's mostly because Pollock's performance as Eggman is absolutely superb 100% of the time.

Sonic Team had ambition, and you can really tell that they tried their damnedest with this game, but I really don't think it worked out in the end. The best thing that did happen is that they took what worked from this game and moved on to make Colors and Generations, rather than just scrapping it entirely like they usually do, and I certainly appreciate it for that.

If you're going to get the game, at least do what a few of the others here suggested and get a save file with mostly everything completed (I wasn't even aware that you could do that, huh). There's some fun to be had with the day stages, but the game really doesn't work as a whole.

blanco21

this is going to sound ridiculous, but what's the cheapest way i can get gold specifically to buy this? i was about to buy a 2 day trial card, but my friend told me it won't work

If you're going to get the game, at least do what a few of the others here suggested and get a save file with mostly everything completed (I wasn't even aware that you could do that, huh).
can this be done on 360?

Top Bottom