• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Unleashed Wii News

The comparison between the Wii and PS360 screenshots is ridiculous. It's not because the game uses a simple artstyle that it "looks like it could be a Wii game". Come on people, they're as different as day and night.

I'm not even sure if I fully understand this argument that's been discussed for the 10th time now. It's so obvious.

Amir0x said:
If you think adding rim lighting would make what you just showed close to what we have now of the 360/PS3 version of Sonic then you are so clearly blind that I don't even need to address your failing argument that Sonic and the Secret Rings looked anything other than awful last-gen shit.

Of course, your next qualifier is that it looks better than Gamecube Sonic games. Well, I'm happy you set your bar so high. Yes, it does look better than an engine optimized for the Dreamcast. You are definitely correct, sir.

Well if you're going to be that way about it there's no use in even carrying on a discussion with you.
2vb7fqg.png

Haunted

Amir0x said:
If you think adding rim lighting would make what you just showed close to what we have now of the 360/PS3 version of Sonic then you are so clearly blind that I don't even need to address your failing argument that Sonic and the Secret Rings looked anything other than awful last-gen shit.

Of course, your next qualifier is that it looks better than Gamecube Sonic games. Well, I'm happy you set your bar so high. Yes, it does look better than an engine optimized for the Dreamcast. You are definitely correct, sir.
Now that's just cold.

Sonic and the Secret Rings had its good looking moments.
Few and far between, but they were there.

Haunted One said:
Wait, the supposed Wii screens in those scans were actually some of the PS360 shots that we've already seen?

Jesus Christ, people.

Yeah, I pointed that, but people just didn't read me, it seems....

Another point for ONM LULZ SCORE, and even more fun it's they were talking like those screens were coming from a suposed Wii version.

Secret Rings was "pretty ugly"? That's odd - you're probably the first I've seen to say that. Across my travels through the annals of the internets, everyone I've ever spoken to has said Secret Rings is one of the better looking Wii games.

That just demostrate how bad,developers, used the Wii hardware....

I saw Sonic Wii in front of me, it's no near a good looking game, it's ok in some areas, but it's no different than any mid generation PS2 game...

even this screen...

2cr1sav.jpg

could pass for a PS2 game

Amir0x

Banned
I mean what argument is there? You showed two screens which almost certainly DISPROVED the point you were trying to make, and then you wanted me to somehow take more time out to further the dismantling? I mean there's so much they would need to do in Secret Rings to come close to what we have in these 360/PS3 screens it's absurd.

I thought you were doing me a favor, knowing how busy I was, to just jump to the end point of the argument where you prove yourself wrong and I nod hurriedly while moving to the next thread I have a post to defend in.

I guess I was wrong, sir.

Relaxed Muscle said:
http://i30.tinypic.com/2cr1sav.jpg[IMG]

could pass for a PS2 game[/QUOTE]
Off course it could! I don't understand how some people try to argue that the Wii could do graphics [I]"more or less like Sonic PS360"[/I], and yet, at the same time say that Sonic and the Secret of the Rings is [I]"almost looking next gen anyway"[/I].

[IMG]http://www.dotcomphoto.com/images/img_pink_glasses.gif

Sciz

Rlan said:
HEY HOW ABOUT WE JUST WAIT TILL OFFICIAL WII SCREENS COME OUT!?!?!?!?!
I agree with this man.

Never mind that I can't imagine why on earth you people are arguing about the graphics of a Sonic game, of all things. What it looks like should be the absolute least of your concerns.

I wasn't arguin' nothing. I was making a statement. And then some people had to go all nerd rage on me for no reason like I insulted a dearest family member.

fernoca

Secret Rings does look quite nice,and even better in the mid/late levels..everyone that played it knows this..of course, many just played the first 2-3 stages or just watched Youtube videos or pics at Ign.

hokahey

Sega1991 said:
I wasn't arguin' nothing. I was making a statement. And then some people had to go all nerd rage on me for no reason like I insulted a dearest family member.

This is the HD era dude. Learn the rules.

Banned
Does it fucking matter? The game is coming to wii. If it hurts Ami and the trolls, I'm sorry. On the other hand there is no way the wii game will look that good. Even the best moments in Satsr, and they were some damn good moments never looked that good, so the ninfans need to back down and fucking move on.

Amir0x

Banned
avatar299, I suspect you thought you were on to something with your statement but I think you'll find there isn't a single statement in any thread about this title which indicates I give a shit it is on Wii.

It is Sonic. If anything, if my intent is to troll the thing, I should be HAPPY it is getting another Sonic game that is more likely to suck than be good. Try harder to be clever next time with your accusations.

Banned
Sega1991 said:
Seriosuly, is there a reason why there are no screenshots or gifs of Night Palace and the boss fight against Erazor? Why do people pick the worst screen shots to defend Satsr?

Amir0x said:
avatar299, I suspect you thought you were on to something with your statement but I think you'll find there isn't a single statement in any thread about this title which indicates I give a shit it is on Wii.

It is Sonic. If anything, if my intent is to troll the thing, I should be HAPPY it is getting another Sonic game that is more likely to suck than be good. Try harder to be clever next time with your accusations.
Please, you're in this thread so any credibility you have in regards to you not giving a shit is already shot. So you came in here to remind us that Sonic games still use the dreamcast engine? Oh what fucking joy.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Again, look at the comparison between Sonic 06 and Sonic Unleashed. Does Sonic Unleashed REALLY look like a downgrade to you?!

(screen warz)
Er, how about contrasting like with like and using prerelease PR shots for the comparisons?

Amir0x

Banned
Please, you're in this thread so any credibility you have in regards to you not giving a shit is already shot. So you came in here to remind us that Sonic games still use the dreamcast engine? Oh what fucking joy.

I am a mod. By my very nature, I patrol all gaming threads. That's basically the clinical reason I was in this thread. I found dark10x's technical argument interesting - as I generally do in graphical discussions - and I commented.

Further, far be it for me to suggest you should learn to read, but... no... learn to read.

Because I did not say Sonic games still use the Dreamcast engine. I said the GAMECUBE games used an engine that was optimized for Dreamcast. SONIC AND THE SECRET RINGS is not a Gamecube game, to my knowledge, and my point was that setting the standard at "looks better than the Gamecube Sonic titles" is incredibly low to start with.

I hope this answered your question fully and that you don't feel that your impotent whining was for naught.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Er, how about contrasting like with like and using prerelease PR shots for the comparisons?
Ah, but jarrod, do YOU see a HUD in those Sonic 06 shots?

Those ARE PR shots (they are available on various websites dated prior to the games release). :)

Unfortunately, that's about as "like" as things get. It's a shame there are no easily located shots of the hub world from Sonic 06 as that would REALLY make the game look bad (and Sonic Unleashed look much better). The only stages in Sonic 06 that looked great were the darker ruined areas or the mechanical zones. That city stage, for instance, was actually pretty impressive to behold (though it had FOUR different loading points each requiring a good 30 seconds or so).

As for Sonic and the Secret Rings, I thought it was a decent looking game in person, but not so hot in stills. I believe this is precisely why people are giving Sonic Unleashed such little credit. Once that game is seen in person, people should be able to appreciate what it is displaying. Adding rim lighting to SatSR wouldn't bring it even REMOTELY close to Sonic Unleashed.

Banned
Oh no, quite the contrary. Thanks to you I have learned nothing I didn't already know, except that you like to point out the bloody fucking obvious.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh haha ok 'cause i thought you were just tossing out accusations blindly again and then when called out on it, you retreated to your standard reactionary bullshit that always makes me giggle.

hehe, see I'm giggling again!

Banned
Amir0x said:
Oh haha ok 'cause i thought you were just tossing out accusations blindly again and then when called out on it, you retreated to your standard reactionary bullshit that always makes me giggle.

blind acusations:lol Coming from the guy who has trolled this game, and admitted he would have trolled this game if he was in the mood. Yes, now that guy Ami is a completely civil poster with no history of bias at all.

blind acusations:lol Coming from the guy who has trolled this game, and admitted he would have trolled this game if he was in the mood. Yes, now that guy Ami is a completely civil poster with no history of bias at all.
When you get banned we will laugh and rejoice and bathe in your blood.

The blood orgies will be the thing of legend... oh yes, legend.

hokahey said:
This is the HD era dude. Learn the rules.

"Rules"? What the fuck. I am so sorry for having an apparently "controversial opinion" that Sonic & The Secret Rings actually has better than average (but not amazing) graphics for a Wii game.

I didn't know such a statement was worthy of the guillotine around here. But here, by all means, let me make it worse. I mean, after all if I wasn't arguing before, I might as well not disappoint everyone and actually start arguing about something:

zn7ki0.jpg

15e7a87.jpg

Am I saying everything in the 360/PS3 screenshots for Unleashed can be done on the Wii? Of course not. Don't be stupid. But Secret Rings doesn't look so bad - Sonic is fairly detailed while remaining very clean and smooth looking; the environments might not be great, but considering how fast you'll be moving, do they need to be? Not really. Secret Rings engine + rimlighting and you have a decent approximation of what Unleashed on the 360/PS3 looks like. Not exact, as I said, but good enough, I think.

Anything else and you're just nitpicking.

Haunted

If someone is complaining about the shots used in here, get some better ones and post them. I love my Wii but I don't care enough about Sonic to defend one of his games.

Amir0x said:

Now now, don't help him derail this thread.

nightside

Why should anyone pay for a world exclusive ('coz I guess ONM o future paid for the world exclusive) and still not get the screens for the right version:|?

Ok...ONM lulz and stuff..but that's still way too fuckin stupid...(reminds me when an italian playstation magazine reviewd RE4 for gamecube and said: "it's coming next year on ps2 so..")

Teknoman

Secret Rings Sand Oasis zone, Levitated Ruin zone, Night Palace zone, and that section of Pirate Storm with the surfing through torrential storms all looked nice. Better than most platformers last gen.

legend166 said:
Um, why are people bothering to argue about a new Sonic game?

Everyone asks this one every so often in the topic so i'll shoot:

Because its 2.5D rush style gameplay for the most part, and looks really nice. It's the most potential out of any Sonic console game to date since the Dreamcast games.

Innotech

Banned
Its just stupid that all these debates about what can or cant be done on the wii are be tossed around before weve even seen ther screenshots. And beyond that since when has ANY nintendo screenshot ever been a good indicator of ingame appearance? Games always look far better in motion with very few exceptions. the wii versiopn in motion viewed from a bit back from the TV could probably pass for the other versions in some psots at full speed. I mean seriously, if Sega could make it work, considering the last few levels of SATSR I think they can pull off some pretty decent visuals with this one. Especially with shitty looking foliage like in those screenshots of Unleashed. But again, all this is entirely moot until Wii screenshots are posted.

Teknoman

Man that would be incredbly stupid if that were the case.

EDIT: This was to yoopoo by the way.

And I still stand by my saying that secret rings still looks alot better than people give it credit for. Maybe not all the time, but no one can tell me Levitated Ruin and Sand Oasis dont look nice.

Sharp

Guys, I think what dark10x is trying to say is that while the Wii version will undoubtedly look better in motion, the PS360 version will look incredible in motion if it already looks this good in stills and implements that kind of motion blur. Not that I'm sure why people are arguing about this anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
wondering if I will be in a thread is like wondering if GAF will still be here tomorrow.

As long as there is a thread, I shall be in it. I am omnipresent.

yoopoo

Banned
nightside said:
that explains why sega released some screens of JoD that were shitty in every way possible
Considering that was the only version in existence...they HAD to show something.

Sharp said:
Guys, I think what dark10x is trying to say is that while the Wii version will undoubtedly look better in motion, the PS360 version will look incredible in motion if it already looks this good in stills and implements that kind of motion blur. Not that I'm sure why people are arguing about this anyway.

neogaf1.gif

No way those are Wii screens. There is just too much fine detail, shadowing and overall sophistication in the environments. The best we've seen of Wii doesn't have near the tightness or visual fidelity of these press screens.

Formless

dk_ said:
The blur effect is very much the same, but the game overall looks worse, making the blur look worse I suppose. I don't get the difference in technique besides one being in HD and the other not

Top Bottom