• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2024 TV Lineup Revealed: Use Mini LED over OLED for 2024 Flagship TV

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
not a single thing in my post is wrong tho. Your hate boner for oled is hard for me to understand.
I've explained it in other thread. This sony mini led is VA lcd with all it's problems and issues + complicated backlight that's many zones but still not enough... and the backlight needs time to adapt to what it's displaying too.

What's with all the oled dislike and neglection recently? Like... it is undeniable the best tv and monitor tech out there. Nothing comes close.
Perfect viewing angles, perfect black, perfect response times, contrast, hdr.... simply everything that's important on a TV.
And while it's not the brightest, let's not act like it's dark. My c1 is 800 nits and playing with HDR is squinting game. The thing is bright in dimmed room or with 1 light in the corner is how I usually play.
And in the dark, it's perfect immersion.

But it burns in (burns out actually)!!! yeah? so what? Mine is 8-9k hours. I will just get a new one. This one is 3 years and still looks brand new. No sign of burn out,
I have a 77" C9 in my house and am typing this on a 32" MSI 4k 240hz OLED monitor in no way shape or form do I have a hate boner for OLED

And back to my point, you are just wrong and sorry that Sony wants to push 4k nits (which I love the idea of) and beyond, I don't blame only OLED owners for being so defensive and feel the need to regurgitate the same arguments weekly in every single thread.

I have seen high end mini LED in my house and able to compare it with my own eyes watching movies and playing games, have you? (I don't need a 3 paragraph response to this question, its a simple answer)

Its great others enjoy OLED but its not for everyone and its simply not the clear winner

Edit - Sorry man but no longer having these opinions with you as you refuse to accept other people might enjoy things you don't, its worse than console wars with you

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I have a 77" C9 in my house and am typing this on a 32" MSI 4k 240hz OLED monitor in no way shape or form do I have a hate boner for OLED

And back to my point, you are just wrong and sorry that Sony wants to push 4k nits (which I love the idea of) and beyond, I don't blame only OLED owners for being so defensive and feel the need to regurgitate the same arguments weekly in every single thread.

I have seen high end mini LED in my house and able to compare it with my own eyes watching movies and playing games, have you? (I don't need a 3 paragraph response to this question, its a simple answer)

Its great others enjoy OLED but its not for everyone and its simply not the clear winner

Edit - Sorry man but no longer having these opinions with you as you refuse to accept other people might enjoy things you don't, its worse than console wars with you
But mini led offers tons of drawbacks with only upside being brightness which is already too much at times with oled.
What do I need 4k nits for? to go blind?
Even my lg c1 which is 3 years old already covers 97% of dci p3 color gamut. So what is mini led doing? Oversaturating the image and making it brighter?
I do say oled is a clear winner and I do say oled is for everyone who is even semi-serious about their games and movies. You don't watch critical stuff in daylight. Even when the tv will be 4k nits, you still are supposed to watch it in the dark. The contrast will always fight with you

again, I am not attacking your preferences. Only the fact that oled is clearly a better tech.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
But mini led offers tons of drawbacks with only upside being brightness which is already too much at times with oled.
What do I need 4k nits for? to go blind?
Even my lg c1 which is 3 years old already covers 97% of dci p3 color gamut. So what is mini led doing? Oversaturating the image and making it brighter?
I do say oled is a clear winner and I do say oled is for everyone who is even semi-serious about their games and movies. You don't watch critical stuff in daylight. Even when the tv will be 4k nits, you still are supposed to watch it in the dark. The contrast will always fight with you

again, I am not attacking your preferences. Only the fact that oled is clearly a better tech.

Your C1 one doesn't display bright colors well. Its lacking in Color Volume. Why? it can't produce high Nits. Facts.

Color Volume:

Color volume is a representation of the number of colors a TV can display at different brightness levels. As you want a TV to display as many colors as possible, it's important to have a TV with good color volume so that when you watch content, particularly in HDR, highlights stand out the way the creator intended. There are a few factors that help a TV have a good color volume, like color gamut, brightness, and contrast.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Your C1 one doesn't display bright colors well. Its lacking in Color Volume. Why? it can't produce high Nits. Facts.
It can do 800 nits in small window. That's good enough. For SDR, whole screen is at 100-120 nits and it can do that(I think it can do full screen 200 nits).
For HDR, the colors are beautiful and the highlight areas in games are rarely huge like a notepad on fullscreen.
I don't remember a game which requires full screen max brightness. it's usually explosions, stars, flames, some clouds or sun.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Color Volume:

Color volume is a representation of the number of colors a TV can display at different brightness levels. As you want a TV to display as many colors as possible, it's important to have a TV with good color volume so that when you watch content, particularly in HDR, highlights stand out the way the creator intended. There are a few factors that help a TV have a good color volume, like color gamut, brightness, and contrast.
I gave up talking to him, ignorance is bliss

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I gave up talking to him, ignorance is bliss
You guys are insane. What are you even talking about.
When do I need 4k nits bright colors on the screen in full window. That's stupid.
Go back to viewing notepad on full screen if that's so important to you guys.
In real case use scenario, Oled is absolutely perfect. There are veeeery few occasions that ABL is the problem.
btw do yourself a favor and disable tpc and gsr on your c9.

I simply can't believe any of you would consider going back to lcd. Lcd should die. It was always bad and it will always be bad

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You guys are insane. What are you even talking about.
When do I need 4k nits bright colors on the screen in full window. That's stupid.
Go back to viewing notepad on full screen if that's so important to you guys.
In real case use scenario, Oled is absolutely perfect. There are veeeery few occasions that ABL is the problem.
btw do yourself a favor and disable tpc and gsr on your c9.

I simply can't believe any of you would consider going back to lcd. Lcd should die. It was always bad and it will always be bad

"You might be thinking, "OLEDs cover over 90% of the DCI/P3 gamut, same as quantum-dot LED-lit LCDs." That might well be true at a certain luminance level, but while OLED can cover a wide color range at lower illumination levels, once the image gets bright enough, the percentage of DCI/P3 covered by the TV drops significantly. As noted earlier, this effect is clearly visible in side-by-side comparisons with quantum dot-based LED-lit LCDs."

Last edited:

Von Hugh

WOLED and QD-OLED are the best in business based on multiple reviews and outlets, but a couple cunts here think their subjective opinions outshine everything else. And then duly refuse to reply like a child when countered with arguments.

Absolutely hilarious. But, please, carry on.

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

dotnotbot

"You might be thinking, "OLEDs cover over 90% of the DCI/P3 gamut, same as quantum-dot LED-lit LCDs." That might well be true at a certain luminance level, but while OLED can cover a wide color range at lower illumination levels, once the image gets bright enough, the percentage of DCI/P3 covered by the TV drops significantly. As noted earlier, this effect is clearly visible in side-by-side comparisons with quantum dot-based LED-lit LCDs."

BTW, miniLED color volume seems to be only superior compared to WOLED, not QD-OLED:

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
BTW, miniLED color volume seems to be only superior compared to WOLED, not QD-OLED:

Yes. This Bravia 9 is going to shift the lead back to Mini LED. Get ready for it. There won't be a single TV close to it. Reproducing results similar to a professional grade 4000 nit mastering monitor.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

This is 2016 article.
None of reviews or rtings tests mention this as negative or perceived effect
The p3 measurement for c1 is 97%.

I don’t see any color difference at low or high brightness levels. If there is any, it’s probably not easy to spot.
Same like brightness. People go wild for 1000 nits over 800 and so on but you can’t see it. Human eye can’t easily detect 200 nits difference. It’s easy to show on camera but it’s not how eyes work. Your eyes adapt.

Nobody talks about color volume. That’s now how we se wór think about stuff it’s still 80% on stupid c1. That 20% to 100 is real such a huge difference to drop all oled advantages and go back to shit lcd? Your luck

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
OLED is sexy. Absolute blacks, impossibly slim screens. Mini-LED and Q-whatever are just gimmicky try-hard LEDs, which are already try-hard LCDs. Those are for hobos.
You are absolutely right.
And these mini led guys will disregard anything.
Like you would think these mini led screens are like color tv compared to black and white based on what haisenberg says lol.

I get it. It scores bette run some tests. It’s still and lcd

dotnotbot

Yes. This Bravia 9 is going to shift the lead back to Mini LED. Get ready for it. There won't be a single TV close to it. Reproducing results similar to a professional grade 4000 nit mastering monitor.

We will see, I have a feeling their decision to go with miniLED instead of OLED is only dictated by profit margins, lower support cost and premium miniLED market being less crowded. They will certainly do better with local dimming than the rest but I doubt they will provide LCD panels of quality as high as proffesional grade ones.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
This is 2016 article.
None of reviews or rtings tests mention this as negative or perceived effect
The p3 measurement for c1 is 97%.

I don’t see any color difference at low or high brightness levels. If there is any, it’s probably not easy to spot.
Same like brightness. People go wild for 1000 nits over 800 and so on but you can see it. Human eye can’t easily detect 200 nits difference. It’s easy to show on camera but it’s not how eyes work. Your eyes adapt.

Nobody talks about color volume. That’s now how we se wór think about stuff it’s still 80% on stupid c1. That 20% to 100 is real such a huge difference to drop all oled advantages and go back to shit lcd? Your luck

That's Color Gamut rofif. Your Color Volume is 76.0% of 1,000 cd/m² DCI P3 Coverage ITP as measured by Rtings. That's lower than my old QN90A which is at 91.6%.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
We will see, I have a feeling their decision to go with miniLED instead of OLED is only dictated by profit margins, lower support cost and premium miniLED market being less crowded. They will certainly do better with local dimming than the rest but I doubt they will provide LCD panels of quality as high as proffesional grade ones.

It's dictated by this mastering monitor hitting 4000 Nits and the Bravia 9 using the same technology.

I dnt know how much mini led advanced In a year or 2 but last year I saw a tcl mini led TV, I think it was c845 or something.
Absolutely horrible with blooming.
I'll take oled anyday over that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's Color Gamut rofif. Your Color Volume is 76.0% of 1,000 cd/m² DCI P3 Coverage ITP as measured by Rtings. That's lower than my old QN90A which is at 91.6%.

but how does it compare to 97% dci p3?
And my c1 is 750 nits. not 1000, so idk.

We are getting ridiculous over here. We were all playing on sdr monitors few years ago or even last year.
100-150 nits, 50% dci p3 coverage and it was all looking great.
Now we are chasing more and more and more color while people cant even see hdr vs sdr lol.
how much of that 76 vs 91 color volume can we see?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
but how does it compare to 97% dci p3?
And my c1 is 750 nits. not 1000, so idk.

We are getting ridiculous over here. We were all playing on sdr monitors few years ago or even last year.
100-150 nits, 50% dci p3 coverage and it was all looking great.
Now we are chasing more and more and more color while people cant even see hdr vs sdr lol.
how much of that 76 vs 91 color volume can we see?

The whole point of the color volume measurement is that as the displayed content get brighter, how well can the display maintain producing various colors. This is not an issue for QD-OLED. You guys have been nitpicking contrast deficiencies of Mini LED for years but we supposed to downplay the Color Volume impotency of WOLED?

dolabla

Sucks the 9 series doesn't come in a 55". I wonder how the 7 Series stacks up with its mini led? Is it using the new technology too?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Sucks the 9 series doesn't come in a 55". I wonder how the 7 Series stacks up with its mini led? Is it using the new technology too?

It's not using the new tech, but a Sony employee did say its superior to last year's X95L. Which was the best Mini LED of last year and a damn good TV.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

what compromises? I will counter them all
You really aren't able to take a balanced perspective on things are you? There is no such thing as a perfect TV. They all have pluses and minuses.

Aside from the major uptick in luminance capabilities. On a Master Series LCD, near black detail is better than any of the 5 OLED's I have owned. Also, and very key for me. Never having to deal with burn in concerns or the methods used to prevent it. There are no preventative dimming issues, refresh cycles or screen shifting. With no need to be aware of game HUD's, windows task bars, static menu's etc etc. Also, on my Z, screen uniformity on the 85" is pristine. Something none of my OLED's could ever get close to. They all had vertical banding of some kind and/or screen tint too.

Now, there are a load of things I love about OLED's too. But, my post is purely to bring balance back to your one sided take.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The whole point of the color volume measurement is that as the displayed content get brighter, how well can the display maintain producing various colors. This is not an issue for QD-OLED. You guys have been nitpicking contrast deficiencies of Mini LED for years but we supposed to downplay the Color Volume impotency of WOLED?
LCDs always had a ton of issues that I hated before I even knew better tech existed.
And oled fixed all of those issues + added more features like hdr and more brightness. I had 10-14 (cant count) monitors in 3 years period before lg c1 in 2021. Every lcd has the same problems to more or less degree.
There is no apparent downside to oled that I am looking to have fixed in the future. This is a tv that I could happily live with forever.

with LCD, I always had problem with contrast, viewing angles, repsonse times and so on so on so on. Always. Ever since I got my first lcd with my first wage over 15 years ago.
So while new tvs might offer some improvements... there are no inherent flaws remaining to be fixed. Unless they bring back crt, then I could be interested.

Sleepwalker

Guys just buy whatever TV makes you happy and enjoy, life's too short to care about what other people do with their money or justify your purchases to randoms on an internet forum.

I'm perfectly happy with my current QD OLED but hope all TVsl technology keeps getting better.

Celcius

°Temp. member
As someone who doesn’t own a tv at the moment - my biggest concern with OLED is stutter/judder during 30fps gaming or 24fps movies or anime. I assume mini led will better better for those scenarios.

dolabla

It's not using the new tech, but a Sony employee did say its superior to last year's X95L. Which was the best Mini LED of last year and a damn good TV.
Dang, wish it had it. 55" is the biggest I can fit. But looks like the 7 series is about to drop in two days. So I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for reviews. Shouldn't be that long. I love my QN90C mini led I bought last year, but Sony no doubt makes the best tvs. And with them jumping on the mini led train, I may make the switch.

King Dazzar

As someone who doesn’t own a tv at the moment - my biggest concern with OLED is stutter/judder during 30fps gaming or 24fps movies or anime. I assume mini led will better better for those scenarios.
No, not really. On some LCD's you may get a touch more blur, if its not using a great panel. But with most they're quick enough these days that you're going to see judder due to sample and hold regardless. You're still going to need some additional motion handling/interpolation of some kind. I think all 3, Samsung, Sony and LG do this well. But I preferred Sony's overall, with LG a close second.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Unfortunately high end miniLED won’t fix that either. LED tech is closing the gap on response times to improve motion clarity since OLED is king in that department. But that motion clarity is why OLED experiences stutter for low fps content, and now some LED sets experience stutter as well.

You can mitigate the stutter via motion interpolation. Since this is a software solution, you’ll find it available on just about any set you buy. Sony will give you the best post processing, though Samsung and LG are no slouch in that department.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You really aren't able to take a balanced perspective on things are you? There is no such thing as a perfect TV. They all have pluses and minuses.

Aside from the major uptick in luminance capabilities. On a Master Series LCD, near black detail is better than any of the 5 OLED's I have owned. Also, and very key for me. Never having to deal with burn in concerns or the methods used to prevent it. There are no preventative dimming issues, refresh cycles or screen shifting. With no need to be aware of game HUD's, windows task bars, static menu's etc etc. Also, on my Z, screen uniformity on the 85" is pristine. Something none of my OLED's could ever get close to. They all had vertical banding of some kind and/or screen tint too.

Now, there are a load of things I love about OLED's too. But, my post is purely to bring balance back to your one sided take.
What are you even talking about. Are these some problems you invented?
Near black crush? nonsense. You watch in a too bright room. Or have some bad oled or settings. First of all - content susceptible to near black crush is rare and I've never seen it. you really have to go looking for it.
What's that about luminance again? bright and even too bright. That's all I have to say about c1 and it's 3 years old.
Burn in? what burn in? 8-9 thousand hours on my c1. mostly desktop use and ps5. Sure, most of that desktop use is sdr but ps5 is all hdr.
I don't need to be aware of game hud or task bars. I even disabled tpc and gsr burn in preventive measures on mine with service remote.
Screen uniformity? Maybe some oleds are different. I have evo panel and it's perfect. Besides - when are you looking at 100% white screen? get real. EVo got some pink tint to it but that's onyl 100% white screen at an angle. big wow.
banding? Not a thing on lg if you let it refresh.

all in all - get real and find some real problems. The tech is insane and only real drawback I can agree with is it's life expectancy. IT WILL BURN OUT AND DIE. That is inevitable.
but if mine survived 3 years without a trace of it, I could die tomorrow and I would be happy to get another oled even if mini led was indestructible.
Until we get reviews and comparisons, we won't know for sure but looking at previous years, mini led was always worse

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Near black crush? nonsense. You watch in a too bright room. Or have some bad oled or settings. First of all - content susceptible to near black crush is rare and I've never seen it. you really have to go looking for it.
What's that about luminance again? bright and even too bright. That's all I have to say about c1 and it's 3 years old.
Burn in? what burn in? 8-9 thousand hours on my c1. mostly desktop use and ps5. Sure, most of that desktop use is sdr but ps5 is all hdr.
I don't need to be aware of game hud or task bars. I even disabled tpc and gsr burn in preventive measures on mine with service remote.
Screen uniformity? Maybe some oleds are different. I have evo panel and it's perfect. Besides - when are you looking at 100% white screen? get real. EVo got some pink tint to it but that's onyl 100% white screen at an angle. big wow.

all in all - get real and find some real problems. The tech is insane and only real drawback I can agree with is it's life expectancy. IT WILL BURN OUT AND DIE. That is inevitable.
but if mine survived 3 years without a trace of it, I could die tomorrow and I would be happy to get another oled even if mini led was indestructible.
Until we get reviews and comparisons, we won't know for sure but looking at previous years, mini led was always worse

Sony-X95-L-Review-Chasing-OLED-with-Less-Zones-vs-Samsung-TCL-Mini-LED-TVs-14-49-screenshot.png

"Seeing is believing."

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony-X95-L-Review-Chasing-OLED-with-Less-Zones-vs-Samsung-TCL-Mini-LED-TVs-14-49-screenshot.png

"Seeing is believing."
lol throwing my oled out of the window. I even watched that movie, captured a picture of this exact scene and it was brighter.
hdtvtest is showing a relative difference here.
Even if this was accurate and true, wow ,it affects 0.1% of content. BETTER REPLACE IT WITH LCD QUICK !!!
I will be happy to be proven wrong and get a mini led. but I won't because it's worse than oled... even with all terrible oled drawbacks

nonsense and outlier case.

King Dazzar

On this forum you repeatedly over and over again show a child like inability to have balanced rational debate with others on numerous topics. You quickly descend into insults and patronising nonsense to try and enforce your opinions onto others. Until you can converse more intelligently, unfortunately we're done.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
On this forum you repeatedly over and over again show a child like inability to have balanced rational debate with others on numerous topics. You quickly descend into insults and patronising nonsense to try and enforce your opinions onto others. Until you can converse more intelligently, unfortunately we're done.
There is no debate. I merely stated that oled is better tech than mini-led. Which is just lcd with extra steps.
all of which is true.
This is not a debate. These are facts. It's not my fault you are delusional.

Sure, oled can be improved but mini led is not it.
edit: If anything, you should blame youtubers making stupid surprise faces at WOW SONY NEW FLAGSHIP IS MINILED AMAZING LOLMG

Last edited:

Quasicat

I feel like LG's quality streak and affordability makes anything else feel like a gamble.
Seriously! I bought Sony TVs for years and never had issues until the last Bravia I bought which lasted just under five years. I replaced it with an LG about a year ago and am hoping that it lasts longer.

Bojji

LCD is "better" thanks to being worse:

And as some people have said, high end LCDs are fast enough to show the same problems.

I think it's mostly about implementation of 30FPS, with good amount of motion blur 30FPS can look decent enough on OLED, I tried TLoU2 on PS5 (PS4 version) using 30FPS mode and it was perfectly playable to me. FFVII Rebirth on the other hand looks like a slide show. Other older games like GOW 2018 are also much better. Devs are lazy with 30FPS modes nowadays, that's my theory.

Hell, I bought PS3 again (4th time lol) - amazing 2500 model (the best one) and I expected all games to look horrible on OLED (low res plus 30FPS) but that's not the case! Games are mostly fully playable and look decent + plus super low input lag enhances things.

76AueQr.jpg

ksTD0Io.jpg
zOzAK8I.jpg

Edit: For movies and anime you can use motion interpolation and it usually produces good results, some animes have low "FPS" no matter the screen so it definitely helps.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
it's not very simple.
OLED is so fast that 30fps is indeed presenting as a bit more "stuttery".
For 24fps movies it is kinda bad with slow, panning shots but that's only if you are not using TVs buil't in "cinematic 5:1" movement and so on. that's displaying 24fps on 120hz container for smoother motion.
Or just a small bit of motion smoothing. Sony and Lg does it very well on low levels and it improves 24fps movies.

For 30fps games? I don't find it too big of an issue. If a game has good motion blur? like Uncharted 4 or ff16? No problem at all.
If a game doesn't have camera motion blur like rebirth? it requires some getting used too. Took me 1 whole evening with that game and it was great after that. That's in pure game mode. No motion smoothing because it adds lag

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
LCD is "better" thanks to being worse:

And as some people have said, high end LCDs are fast enough to show the same problems.

I think it's mostly about implementation of 30FPS, with good amount of motion blur 30FPS can look decent enough on OLED, I tried TLoU2 on PS5 (PS4 version) using 30FPS mode and it was perfectly playable to me. FFVII Rebirth on the other hand looks like a slide show. Other older games like GOW 2018 are also much better. Devs are lazy with 30FPS modes nowadays, that's my theory.

Hell, I bought PS3 again (4th time lol) - amazing 2500 model (the best one) and I expected all games to look horrible on OLED (low res plus 30FPS) but that's not the case! Games are mostly fully playable and look decent + plus super low input lag enhances things.

76AueQr.jpg

ksTD0Io.jpg
zOzAK8I.jpg

And I played 360 on oled recently!
Lost planet to be precise. Looks great indeed.

King Dazzar

I remember seeing a quote one time (maybe here?) about OLED owners being the like Vegans. They will always find a way to move the topic of conversation to how they have an OLED and why. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Too true! And even worse, we're talking about a Sony steak house that should be of no interest to the vegan as they have no intention of even ever trying it! But yet they know everything about it, despite never even having stepped foot in it.

Both LCD and OLED can be superb. But you get numb nuts who choose to go on crusades over it. There's a reason why Sony's Broadcast and Professional mastering monitors costing tens of thousands are LCD. And there's a reason why OLED's win movie focused group tests. I have an OLED in my bedroom and an LCD in my lounge. Both can be superb and appeal to users with different sensitivities and likes.

Last edited:

YCoCg

The thing with all the arguments is that the target isn't just a one thing solution, yes Mini LED has better brights, OLED has better blacks, but these are just two things, if we take a look at the overall then you'd need a format that can do the following to get us back to "CRT" but better levels:

- Full screen sustained brightness of 300 nits for SDR (this beats out the best CRT which clocked in around 280/290 nits)
- A HDR range that's at LEAST 4x the full screen sustained brightness in a 10% window (preferably 6x) so if we take the 300 nits above, then 4x that is 1,200 nits, 6x would be 1,800 nits. The greater the range between 100% sustained and 10% allows for greater HDR reproduction in terms of shading and brightness highlights.
- 0 nit black, this would be pretty much just OLED, Micro LED and such for now, but the lower the black level to actual black, the better as it allows for better contrasting within the colours.
- Closest to 0ms pixel response time, currently only OLED gets close to this
- No ABL/Screen darkening/Screen moving stuff, this was designed for OLED preservation but it negates viewing quality to the viewer
- 100% DCI-P3 at D65 WP to cover the full colour spec range for games developed today
- At least 85% Rec.2020 (or highest possible, but beyond 80-85 is where the difference becomes smaller)

No screen format out there currently ticks all these boxes but MicroLED possibly just might do it all. Currently OLED/QD-OLED gets closest in most areas where as Mini LED gets closest in terms of brightness.

King Dazzar

The thing with all the arguments is that the target isn't just a one thing solution, yes Mini LED has better brights, OLED has better blacks, but these are just two things, if we take a look at the overall then you'd need a format that can do the following to get us back to "CRT" but better levels:

- Full screen sustained brightness of 300 nits for SDR (this beats out the best CRT which clocked in around 280/290 nits)
- A HDR range that's at LEAST 4x the full screen sustained brightness in a 10% window (preferably 6x) so if we take the 300 nits above, then 4x that is 1,200 nits, 6x would be 1,800 nits. The greater the range between 100% sustained and 10% allows for greater HDR reproduction in terms of shading and brightness highlights.
- 0 nit black, this would be pretty much just OLED, Micro LED and such for now, but the lower the black level to actual black, the better as it allows for better contrasting within the colours.
- Closest to 0ms pixel response time, currently only OLED gets close to this
- No ABL/Screen darkening/Screen moving stuff, this was designed for OLED preservation but it negates viewing quality to the viewer
- 100% DCI-P3 at D65 WP to cover the full colour spec range for games developed today
- At least 85% Rec.2020 (or highest possible, but beyond 80-85 is where the difference becomes smaller)

No screen format out there currently ticks all these boxes but MicroLED possibly just might do it all. Currently OLED/QD-OLED gets closest in most areas where as Mini LED gets closest in terms of brightness.
Even if and when you tick those boxes. You have the reality of screen uniformity and general QC too. I've had to return 8 TV's over recent years. The 83" C1 I bought, when they just released. I loved. Cost over £7k, but had a banding line right down the middle of the screen, viewable in panning shots. Turned out to be a common issue with that size. I've had an 85" Samsung miniled, keep dropping video signal due its shitty one connect box. And found I wasn't alone with my issues with many people discovering it was a hardware fault with the HDMI 2.1. I know a TV calibrator who went through 6 x A90J Sony OLED's which all had uniformity issues and even the one he stayed with, he wasnt over the moon with. There's a reason the infamous term "panel lottery" came to be.

So yeah the joy wont stop! But hey, get a great panel, that you're happy with and life's great.

Top Bottom