• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces PS4 Pro, $399, November 10th

LAA

I'm still not understanding how this will have huge appeal. It's biggest benefits are with people who have 4K/HDR tvs. So that's not a whole lot of people in the grand scheme of things.

I have a 1080p TV/Monitor and still getting one. It's not just for 4K/HDR like you would be led to believe, but I suppose they are among the main reasons for making it in the first place and I think/hope devs will realise that and have options for using 1080p with extra benefits, similar to Tomb Raider.
4K and HDR I'm not fully interested in tbh at this point. Maybe eventually, but want it for way cheaper.
Having 4K images supersampled and/or 60fps and/or better textures/effects is what I want for now. Playing FFXV in the best way at launch is what mainly pushes me for wanting it sooner rather than later too.

cackhyena

I have a 1080p TV/Monitor and still getting one.
4K and HDR I'm not fully interested in tbh at this point. Maybe eventually, but want it for way cheaper.
Having 4K images supersampled and/or 60fps and/or better textures/effects is what I want for now. Playing FFXV in the best way at launch is what mainly pushes me for wanting it sooner rather than later too.

Do you think it'll be optimized to perform better as well? I'm wondering if most games will by default. It might push me over the edge.

LAA

Do you think it'll be optimized to perform better as well? I'm wondering if most games will by default. It might push me over the edge.

Seems like it's down to devs to choose how to best use the power, but I expect even if they're going to 4K, (which is checkerboard, so I guess it'd more 2K per frame), I would think we'd at least get more stable frame rates and better image quality.
Probably would be more wise got a wait and see approach to see how it's widely used, but tomb raider has set the bar as far as I'm concerned so far. The likes of paragon has cool stuff for 1080p specifically too.

brawly

What are people's reason for getting it day one? VR? New tech?

I have it pre-ordered but I don't see a point in getting it. Think I'll just wait.

dano1

A Sheep

I have it pre-ordered but I don't see a point in getting it. Think I'll just wait.

Same reason everyone buys new consoles.

Prettier graphics!! And probably smoother gameplay

joeblow

The reason the Pro is a no-brainer purchase for me is that I ebay'd my OG PS4 the day before Sony unveiled the final unit last month. As a result, it will only cost me $160 for the latest and greatest Sony console.

BTW, the PS4 Pro is now Amazon's 100th best selling 2016 video game product. I wonder how high it can reach with only a few months left. It's also the 2nd highest "wished for" item as well.

SenkiDala

I really dislike playing on PC (and I partially play on PC since 20 years, I know what I'm talking about, it's just my tastes that's all) and I want to play the best version of my games. I am a HUGE fan of Japanese games, the PS4 has a ton of Jp exclusives games. By selling my "old" PS4, the Pro isn't expensive so that's ok.
I love the PlayStation "universe" and want the best I can get of those games.
Oh also video recording in 1080p, it's cool.

onQ123

Sorry if I missed this but I remember Mark Cerny was to do a tech talk on Pro and wonder when it is supposed to be happening?

Hopefully it will happen soon but it seems that they are keeping things under wraps for some reason, maybe it's AMD hardware that they can't release information about just yet or they just wanted to get the PSVR launch out of the way before they brought attention back to the PS4 Pro.

We know it's extra hardware helping the GPU but no word on exactly what's going on I'm thinking it's either specialized processors on the DPU or they are using a FPGA,

brawly

Because games will look and run better on the PS4 Pro. Pretty straightforward.

Same reason everyone buys new consoles.

Prettier graphics!! And probably smoother gameplay

Any specific games or just all of them (that you buy it for)? I don't have one that takes advantage of it day one (Watchdogs would be the closest), so sitting it out at least until then to actually see the differences makes more sense to me. Otherwise it would just sit around on launch.

My main selling point was FFXV because it looked so rough but the latest gameplay and comparisons have made my worries vanish. I'm sure it'll still look better but the Pro doesn't seem like such a necessity anymore.

farisr

Any specific games or just all of them (that you buy it for)? I don't have one that takes advantage of it day one (Watchdogs would be the closest), so sitting it out at least until then to actually see the differences makes more sense to me. Otherwise it would just sit around on launch.

My main selling point was FFXV because it looked so rough but the latest gameplay and comparisons have made my worries vanish. I'm sure it'll still look better but the Pro doesn't seem like such a necessity anymore.
aside from running regular games better in general, the thing I'm most curious about/interested in are the improvements for vr. I think most of those games that get patches will end up having a significant jump in clarity/fidelity.

But yeah the wait and see approach isn't an option for me as I sold my ps4 at the end of August in anticipation of this.

Newk86

Because I haven't joined this generation yet (was waiting for slim). But then with the talk of the PS4 Pro around, I figured I may as well wait for that instead.

THE:MILKMAN

Hopefully it will happen soon but it seems that they are keeping things under wraps for some reason, maybe it's AMD hardware that they can't release information about just yet or they just wanted to get the PSVR launch out of the way before they brought attention back to the PS4 Pro.

We know it's extra hardware helping the GPU but no word on exactly what's going on I'm thinking it's either specialized processors on the DPU or they are using a FPGA,

Thanks. So I hadn't missed it then. When it was first mentioned it sounded like it would happen within the next week of Pro announcement so I guess something did change.

Loudninja

There are many reasons people might want one

• HDR *both regular PS4 and Pro*
  • 4k support for games *upscale and native*
  • All games will run in 1080p resolution, and some will even run in a higher or more stable framerate
  • 1080p60 RemotePlay/SharePlay
  • Will support 1080p video at 60 frames per second for broadcasting
  • 4K screenshots
  • Usb port on the back
  • Netflix 4k support
  • Enhanced support for PSVR
  • 5GHz Wi-Fi. support* for PS4 Slim and PS4 pro*
  • Support for SATA Rev.3

Not to mention people who never had a PS4

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm still not understanding how this will have huge appeal. It's biggest benefits are with people who have 4K/HDR tvs. So that's not a whole lot of people in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think it's necessarily designed to have huge appeal. The price reduced slim fills that role.

This is designed for a few smaller targets.
- if you already own a 4K TV then you get a clear benefit from this
- if you're thinking of buying a 4K tv this might speed up that purchase decision
- if you're thinking of upgrading your PC or making a switch, this might stave off that decision and keep you in the PS family for a while longer.

I'm really on the fence with this thing still, but we only have that one list of a few major releases showing 4k pr support, and others getting a patch of sorts.

It would be nice if someone like Digital Foundry had one of these around now to do some 1 to 1 comparisons, not only on "pro" games but regular ones to see if there's smoother framerate, better load times (using an ssd) etc.

I'm sitting here thinking is this thing + an ssd really going to be worth $800 Canadian? That's gtx 1080 territory, and the lack of solid info is pretty stupid, since it's basically selling on hype and magic checkerboard dust at this point. It also sounds like 1080p and same or better fps, is the only mandatory requirement which is pewp.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I don't think resolution works like this
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%203.14.52%20PM.png

I don't like to tell other people how to spend their money, but hasn't that like doubled the cost of the console?...

Yes. Yes it has. I didn't say it was sane or perfectly logical decision.

But either way if I find it doesn't provide enough benefit I can simply take it out and use it for other purposes..

Merino

I don't think resolution works like this
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%203.14.52%20PM.png
Yeah that is a very misleading picture that seems to sell off camera position/lensing as resolution. Taken from that physical position with a 1080p camera and a 4K camera would have given the exact same frame.

That said it also shows that within every 4K picture you can crop a part of the frame and still have a 1080p resolution image left. This is amazingly useful for filmmaking (as you can reframe in post or add warp stabalizers to your footage (which crops about 20% of your image to add stability). Not sure what the benefit of cropping 4K to 1080p would be in gaming though so yeah it doesn't make much sense to promote 4K for gaming this way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm wondering how much better. Are there any screenshot comparisons?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275690

Paragon is the only game we've got "before and after" comparisons on for 1080p so far, but this should give you an idea of what can be done by devs on 1080p if they choose to.

- Resolution increased from 900p to 1080p.
- More consistently locked frame rate.
- Higher draw distance.
- More lighting effects.
- More foliage and environmental items

We also know that Rise of Tomb Raider will feature 2 1080p modes, one is 1080p with unlocked frame rate (which should stick to 60 FPS) and the second is 1080p with locked 30 but all effects and post processing dialed up to the highest settings (i dont know if its highest as per the PC version .. or just highest as a buzz word, but that's what they said).

I know I'm going to get the PS4 Pro, but I need to upgrade my TV for it.

Are people expecting the PS4 Pro to be hard to find after release? Or is the days of limited supplies gone because of the efficiencies of good online distributors?

kromeo

I know I'm going to get the PS4 Pro, but I need to upgrade my TV for it.

Are people expecting the PS4 Pro to be hard to find after release? Or is the days of limited supplies gone because of the efficiencies of good online distributors?

I think we'd already know by now if there were going to be supply shortages like with the original launch

novabolt

I feel like people are expecting a PS4 level of hype for the PRO. The console is going up against itself, no XBOX or Nintendo counterpart to fight as they haven't been released yet. The PRO will do fine, I'm just worried about the SLIM, that console needs to pick up the pace or it would just be a useless paperweight.

If the SLIM isn't at least 50% of Sony's future sales, I hope they limit it or discontinue it after 2018.

longdi

Banned
PS4 Pro is launching in less than a month, yet i dont seem to feel the hype building up in the internet?

Here PS4 Pro is going to launch at a slightly lower (-7%) price than the og PS4, even though USD has gone up.
All good Sony, thats the way to do things. :D

I feel like people are expecting a PS4 level of hype for the PRO. The console is going up against itself, no XBOX or Nintendo counterpart to fight as they haven't been released yet. The PRO will do fine, I'm just worried about the SLIM, that console needs to pick up the pace or it would just be a useless paperweight.

If the SLIM isn't at least 50% of Sony's future sales, I hope they limit it or discontinue it after 2018.

Going off what you're saying, though less pessimistic about the prospects of the OG PS4 model going forward. I think that depending on how Pro does, and how quickly Sony is able to lower production costs (both of which are closely intertwined), PS4 Pro could become the only PS4 model available. Just might take a year or two to reach that point. This is all entirely dependent on how Pro does, and how OG 'slim' does.

I have a 4K OLED but don't game on it - I don't care about 4K at all until I can get a reasonably-priced 4K projector...I'm content with better looking and performing 1080p games for now. Got two preordered - one for me and one for my son for Christmas. Can't wait!

Top Bottom