• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony delays motion controller till Autumn 2010

gcubed

The Faceless Master said:
so we get to watch Arc and Natal fail simultaneously?

awesome.

i can't wait for e3, where Nintendo will no doubt shit on these motion control me-too's with something spectacular.

maybe they can show the 4th game that will take advantage of motion +

[Nintex] said:
Unless Microsoft and Sony are putting their big franchises on NATAL and Arc I'm not expecting a shift. We might see more casual games on the systems but without lets say Killzone: Assault Recon Commando, Fable 3 or Halo jumping on board I'm not expecting much outside of Rare or SCE.

Also you can bet Nintendo to play the WiiRelax and Zelda card this E3. Most likely the Zelda: "look we've completely changed everything" card which could swing either way.

Are they willing to risk the audience of their biggest franchises by supporting this? Will a Halo or Madden player want to play the same game with motion control?

KingDizzi

Banned
gamergirly said:
Are they willing to risk the audience of their biggest franchises by supporting this? Will a Halo or Madden player want to play the same game with motion control?

Why not? No need to make the games Natal/Wand only so giving the option for those is not going to have a negative effect, can only go up from there.

Taurus said:
You can't be real.

Why, because im not just instantly negative and hateful all the time?

they are now clearly positioning this as a way to usurp and hype Microsoft was going to gain by launching Natal alone in the fall, long after the Wand would have been released and likely forgotten by consumers if launched in Spring.

Jeels

[Nintex] said:
Unless Microsoft and Sony are putting their big franchises on NATAL and Arc I'm not expecting a shift. We might see more casual games on the systems but without lets say Killzone: Assault Recon Commando, Fable 3 or Halo jumping on board I'm not expecting much outside of Rare or SCE.

Also you can bet Nintendo to play the WiiRelax and Zelda card this E3. Most likely the Zelda: "look we've completely changed everything" card which could swing either way.

Well, from what I understand, Sony is going back and adding motion support for titles like LBP, I'm sure we'll see similar patches for other titles as well, and I'm sure Microsoft will do the same. Or at least, that's what I'm hoping.

Manmademan said:
people forget pretty quickly that dual analog and vibration was originally an "optional peripheral" for the PS1, before it was quickly adopted as a pack-in and made standard.

If sony is really looking at this to be a successful long term competitor to something like the wii, they're going to need to start bundling it with Slims and backing it up with first party software.

Right, that's exactly what I'm saying, for these to be successful, they need to be packed in without raising the price of the console. I can see Microsoft pulling this off, I'm having a tough time seeing Sony doing so unless the console itself's production costs go way down.

Drame

Not surprising, considering that Sony didn't even mention the motion controller at CES. Also, without the software it is pointless to publish hardware.

Totobeni said:
they already made that , Dual SFX from Splitfish for PS3.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51EWF0ciNXL._SS400_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
That looks quite interesting. I'm not that familiar with Splitfish controllers; are they a pile of junk or actually worthwhile?

Sony, puts itself in a re-introduction phase at E3, showing off titles, Like the Billiards game that touting Motion controls(Hustle Kings) now imagine playing pool with the PS3 motion controller and how it can be presented or a parlor game like darts is great for this controller and many more.

KittonGotWet said:
this is pefect! it will allow them to go head to head, spec vs. spec with Natal and show consumers that their product is the more advanced and game viable platform.

Just a great move by Sony for not allowing Microsoft garner any hype with their release of the 3 webcams in one.

Sony will be riding the wave from all of their tremendous first party games this year, along with the amazing 3D tech, right into the release of their wand... absolutely genius!

Is a junior allowed to call out another junior?

At any rate, who knows what will happen. I haven't seen much of PSwand to for a formal opinion of potential.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
cjelly said:
However did I miss such huge news in the middle of a mega-thread.

:facepalm:

The very top of the last page - how obscure!

[Nintex] said:
Third parties rarely support devices such as this. Look at the balance board, Playstation Eye, Microsoft cam thingie and other stuff. It's going to be a showdown between Rare, Big Park and a bunch of SCE studios and patched games. Personally I wouldn't bet my money on either side.

Ubi and EA, at least, have said they'll have games at the launch of both. EA most recently seemed to more specifically hint at EA Sports Active coming to both, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing...(see GameIndustry.biz's interview today with EA's euro head of publishing)

I expect most or all third party stuff is gonna be pretty crap starting out though. Though Grand Slam Tennis I'd like.

mango drank

Damn, I was really only interest in RE5: Gold/Alternate because of the lightgun/motion controls, a la RE4: Wii. I skipped out on the original RE5 release, but planned to get the new one when it came out. Longer wait now. :/

Somnid

KingDizzi said:
Why not? No need to make the games Natal/Wand only so giving the option for those is not going to have a negative effect, can only go up from there.

This limits how the game can be played. A game like Wii Sport Resort could never have a Classic Controller option for example. If you could use a controller but didn't then you have what's commonly referred to as "waggle."

AndyD

aka andydumi
how many posts did that thread have in the last 8 hours?

and how many has this one had?

why hide it in there?

damage control?

:lol Maybe it had hits and posts because of this news.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Yes, the vitality sensor truly was amazing last year! So amazing it still won't be out so they can show it again.

I sorta think this is a mistake on Sony's part, but if the games arent there, they arent there :/ NATAL has a shitload more hype though, so they are going to need to come out before it, despite Natal in my opinion being completely awful (can't even detect fingers now, so it might as well just be EyeToy)

As for who is going to support it, I'd bet on more quality coming from Sony's First Party's than Microsoft's.

gcubed said:
maybe they can show the 4th game that will take advantage of motion +
i predict it, whatever it is, will use the motion plus, balance board, vitality sensor and the new motionzapperwheel addon... and it will be called GTA: 3logy and be GTA3, VC and SA all on one disk with motion controls, running controls, driving controls, shooting controls and will make the controls less accurate as your heartbeat gets faster. that or more accurate as your heartbeat gets faster... who knows...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
how many posts did that thread have in the last 8 hours?

and how many has this one had?

why hide it in there?

damage control?

Well I didn't post the news. So I dunno what the motivation was for posting it where it was posted.

I'm guessing the thought was, though, that anyone interested in the controller would be checking that thread when it's bumped for any news. And plenty of people clearly did, and saw and discussed it.

I was simply pointing out that if you looked at that thread today, if you clicked the last page link on the thread, the news is right there at the top hitting you in the face. It wasn't 'buried'.

This is again the 'GT5' problem. We can start posting new threads for every news item that emerges on these things, but I think you're gonna end up getting sick of that too.

cjelly said:
There was already a one handed controller for the PSone and PS2. I actually only remember the PSone variant, but the PS2 one looks pretty cool, actually.

4290009497_22f6918bcb_o.jpg

How the hell would you even use that with the buttons and the joystick on the "nunchuck"

gofreak said:
Well I didn't post the news. So I dunno what the motivation was for posting it where it was posted.

I'm guessing the thought was, though, that anyone interested in the controller would be checking that thread when it's bumped for any news. And plenty of people clearly did, and saw and discussed it.

I was simply pointing out that if you looked at that thread today, if you clicked the last page link on the thread, the news is right there at the top hitting you in the face. It wasn't 'buried'.

This is again the 'GT5' problem. We can start posting new threads for every news item that emerges on these things, but I think you're gonna end up getting sick of that too.
there's quite a big difference between posting every little tidbit and twitter message in a new thread and posting news of a delay in a new thread, there really isn't a problem.

i know that a certain point, there is a line and many people will draw the line at different places, but news of a delay should clearly be on the side of "new thread" for anyone sane.

VAIL

Honestly, why Sony and MS both decided to add-on and not wait is beyond me, this "me too" approach is coming too little and too late.

MikeE21286 said:
How the hell would you even use that with the buttons and the joystick on the "nunchuck"

this
you will have to take your thumb off the stick to press the buttons.
also it seems that you will press some lower buttons accidently while moving the stick

Somnid said:
This limits how the game can be played. A game like Wii Sport Resort could never have a Classic Controller option for example. If you could use a controller but didn't then you have what's commonly reffered to as "waggle."

Exactly. It's pretty much one or the other outside of simple games

AndyD

aka andydumi
VAIL said:
Honestly, why Sony and MS both decided to add-on and not wait is beyond me, this "me too" approach is coming too little and too late.

Its to gauge interest of next gen as well and also afford them time to make necessary tweaks for next gen as needed. If they waited until the launch of a next gen, then they cant improve much because of lowest common denominator issues. This way, as an accessory, they can tweak and change and make it standard and do it right at the next launch if they feel its appropriate.

Synless

AndyD said:
Its to gauge interest of next gen as well and also afford them time to make necessary tweaks for next gen as needed. If they waited until the launch of a next gen, then they cant improve much because of lowest common denominator issues. This way, as an accessory, they can tweak and change and make it standard and do it right at the next launch if they feel its appropriate.
This, I aslo think Sony needs to make it a console & game pack-in and market the shit out of it to succeed at all.

snap0212

VAIL said:
And neither of them will be nearly as successful as Nintendo is...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
there's quite a big difference between posting every little tidbit and twitter message in a new thread and posting news of a delay in a new thread, there really isn't a problem.

i know that a certain point, there is a line and many people will draw the line at different places, but news of a delay should clearly be on the side of "new thread" for anyone sane.

What I think is a problem though is calling people out for not posting a new thread on it, suggesting they're 'hiding' things.

How naive do you think people are? You really think TTP thought he was going to 'contain' this news by posting it in the 'motion controller' thread?

This is about different posting and poster styles. I think this happens all over the place. The 'bad news' about Natal having its chip removed, for example appeared in the 'Natal mega thread' 8 hours or more before someone posted a new thread. But I didn't see anyone there accusing people of 'hiding bad news' as happened here and in the case of GT5, even though there were people - including myself - pointing out it had already been posted in the 'catch-all' thread. It's like if you say something's already been posted, you're a fanboy trying to 'bury the news' - but I dunno what GAF you've been on, but in the GAF I've been on, it's been customary to point out if news has been posted by someone else, even if the new thread is worthwhile on its own.

'Hiding bad news' seems to be some new stick people are waving at others and even just on the second round of it, it's already very annoying.

Dennis

Banned
Xater said:
This or Killzone 3. I expect one big Sony itle to support it this fall. Announcement at E3.
Killzone 3 if they want Arc to be a success or Resistance 3 if they change their minds and want an abortion.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DennisK4 said:
Killzone 3 if they want Arc to be a success or Resistance 3 if they change their minds and want an abortion.

You're awful :lol

I really really hope Resistance 3 can be a breakout game for Insomniac, something that gets people excited. I actually don't think they've much to lose if they were to position it as a flagship 'core' wand title. It mightn't pay off, but if it did it could give them something to plant their flag on vs the other studios who've maybe always seemed to find a way to overshadow them a bit.

Haunted

gofreak said:

Delay of Arc from spring to fall is definitely threadworthy.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Xater said:
This or Killzone 3. I expect one big Sony itle to support it this fall. Announcement at E3.
More than just support, it needs to be necessary.

Its already better than its competitors in terms of accuracy and usefulness, now it just needs the mindshare and hype that other controllers have..

Xater

PistolGrip said:
More than just support, it needs to be necessary.

Its already better than its competitors in terms of accuracy and usefulness, now it just needs the mindshare and hype that other controllers have..

It's nice to want things, but that I do not see happen.

slider

Haunted said:

If nothing else pointing out that the news has been posted let's people go and check out the other thread and see the comments there (in case any interesting points have been raised if nothing else). Of course that never actually happens! Shouldn't be taken as a jibe/insult necessarily. Unless you're that dude who posted the "check out this new game called LBP" when everyone already knew about it!

Still, this is thread worthy but "old" (and related phrases) are de rigueur on GAF I thought.

BTW Haunted, I'm not really responding to you. I just wanted in on the conversation with my insightful observation.

Cheers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Haunted said:

I actually agree. That wasn't really my point though. Pointing out the visibility of it in the other thread isn't necessarily disagreement with having a dedicated thread for the news. I was poking at this auto-insinuation that someone's 'burying bad news' if people refer to another 'catch-all' thread in threads like this and point out it's already been posted. It's needlessly hopping on the offense.

And as already pointed out, there is good reason for pointing out if stuff's already been posted, EVEN if the new thread is worthwhile. It's a good way for people to catch up to what other may have said elsewhere about it.

Please make a nunchuk in the meantime, Sony. Or maybe they already are? I'm not keeping up; last I heard they seemed to intend for us to use a DS3 one-handed.

KittonGotWet said:
this is pefect! it will allow them to go head to head, spec vs. spec with Natal and show consumers that their product is the more advanced and game viable platform.

Just a great move by Sony for not allowing Microsoft garner any hype with their release of the 3 webcams in one.

Sony will be riding the wave from all of their tremendous first party games this year, along with the amazing 3D tech, right into the release of their wand... absolutely genius!

Too obvious, 3/10.

The move makes sense though, seeing as how we know nothing about the arc yet. It would have launched wtih barely any support, and the whole holding the Dualshock in the other hand system seemed incredibly sloppy.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
gofreak said:
I actually agree. That wasn't really my point though. Pointing out the visibility of it in the other thread isn't necessarily disagreement with having a dedicated thread for the news.
It's a big enough news announcement to warrant its own thread. Don't the mods generally prefer it this way?

sinseers

PREDICTION TIME!!!!!

I predict MS will most likely be the one to try and emulate the Wii's success by launching Natal with a slew of Wii Sport Resort and Wii Fit wannabees in hopes of capturing more of the casual piece of the action. With the monstrous ad campaign they no doubt will have for Natal, I guess they figure on standing somewhat of a good chance at making Natal a moderate success.

Sony, I feel will try and push Arc into the more core field by implementing motion controls into more traditional games. IMO Sony is the one possibly trying to break new ground, if that's what you want to call it seeing as how it really would end up being a more refined version of M+.

They both offer the consumer an HD alternative to Wii. The question now is........will they bit the bullet and make the price of these alternatives consumer friendly?

Vinci

Danish
KittonGotWet said:

Thank the gods, you're not banned. I was so concerned.

AndyD said:

I think the Wii has already proven there's an interest in this sort of tech. As for tweaking it? Internal testing is really all that would be needed. Honestly, it's too little and too late - and all this does is show what might have been a good hand for next-gen early to their competitors. Not a good business move, IMO. But what the hell do I know.

slider

Leondexter said:
Sounds completely awesome to me. Day 1.

Yep, I hope the Sony Sweep (that's my suggestion but it's rubbish) and Natal have an equal mix of "casual" and big games.

[Nintex] said:

Fable 3 already supports it, and Microsoft is positioning Natal as the next console. Meaning every single thing Microsoft puts out post-Natal will support it. It's their next console and they are gonna support the hell out of it.

Top Bottom