• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E-Mail Leak: Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter on Female Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously, However selling people on a female superhero isn't easy when history shows how bad they CAN be.

Wonder Woman has real potential to carry a movie on the strength and public mindshare of her character alone.

Captain Marvel is arguably the riskiest move Marvel can make.

I'd say Wonder Woman is the huge risk but really that risk only comes into play if they make a horrendous movie.
Anything decent and it will do fine, blow it you lose your #3 character and the most recognizable female hero.

So you're saying Disney, post Frozen, doesn't want to do a film about a female with superpowers?

I'm sorry, that is absurd. Frozen is pretty much a Marvel film in all but studio. And made an absolute fortune while tapping into the female market in a way that is still staggering. Disney would jump all over that shit from Marvel, if Marvel would get the ball rolling a bit quicker than 2018.
Frozen was a hit because of a song, not powers.

I'd say Wonder Woman is the huge risk but really that risk only comes into play if they make a horrendous movie.
Anything decent and it will do fine, blow it you lose your #3 character and the most recognizable female hero.

And you also add another corpse on the pile of bad female lead super hero films if they mess it up.
Yup, not to mention the Hunger Games seris.

True, but that had the benefit of being based on an extremely popular book series.

entremet

Those examples are horrible, horrible movies.

Supergirl is diarrhea on film and Catwoman was a laughing stock.

I never saw Elektra.

johnsmith

remember me
If they didn't green light a Black Widow movie after Lucy they are complete morons. $458 million on a budget of $40 million? There's no way Black Widow wouldn't hit $500 million at least.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I'm not sure I understand the clamoring to get a Black Widow movie. I mean, she is a great character within the context of the films she has been in, but wouldn't a film centred on her be more of an action film than a superhero film?

I'd see exactly the same challenge in trying to make a standalone Hawkeye film. I just don't see that either character could pull off a solo movie and achieve a movie of the same "scale" and "tone" as everything else in the MCU.

Off the back of Avengers, I imagine films on both those characters could technically be profitable if you kept a tight rein on budgets (which itself hampers the ability for such films to be a spectacle) but you have the opportunity cost of the exercise to consider as well.

I'm not sure I understand the clamoring to get a Black Widow movie. I mean, she is a great character within the context of the films she has been in, but wouldn't a film centred on her be more of an action film than a superhero film?

I'd see exactly the same challenge in trying to make a standalone Hawkeye film. I just don't see that either character could pull off a solo movie and achieve a movie of the same "scale" and "tone" as everything else in the MCU.

I can agree with this also. She'd be more situated in a TV series like Daredevil (but will never happen).

While true those movies were terribad I would think enough time has passed that you could try again even with those same characters.

Jex

It's not surprising that people in those positions would think along those lines. Looking at the past to attempt to discern the future is only natural, even if it is inherently a fairly flawed way of thinking. It ignores, for example, the fact that those were all bad movies which probably has something to do with why they failed. Still, as we're missing the surrounding context that could well have been brought up.

Of course, then Lucy came out and made hundreds of millions of dollars which just goes to show that such a method of reasoning can lead you down the wrong path.

Oppo

Marvel. Let me help you out.

Squirrel Girl, starring Kristen Schaal. She defeats MODOK, Wolverine, Dr. doom and Thanos in one film.

Butts in seats, you're welcome.

Neoxon

Guardians was greenlit long before Lucy ever came out.
Actually Nicole Perlman wrote both a GotG draft & a Black Widow draft at about the same time. She presented both scripts to Marvel & they chose GotG. Though yes, Lucy had no impact on their decision either way, GotG did take what could have been Black Widow's Phase 2 spot.

Currently, Nicole Perlman is co-writing Captain Marvel.

Nothing in Winter Soldier hinges on Captain America being superpowered in any way. It makes some of the fights more exciting but it's not like anyone is flying around or fighting for the fate of the cosmos or anything.

Biggest problem is setting out to make a hero movie without a solid plan.

You'll then have to rely on the basic cornerstone: A character must have a solid and recognizable/likeable visual base (looks and powers/actions).
Second, having an understandment on why this character may have a mindshare so you can expand it. Catwoman is an agile burglar that can trouble even Batman << Nolan got that right.
Third, a solid, proven motivation structure, not as important as the the other two, but it may help informing the script.

Then you scrap what works in the comics for a sense of whatever and you get Catwoman and Elektra.

Captain Marvel's uniform/powers already work in the comics, that you just adapt to the new universe. The rest they are free to do whatever.

Spiderman they got it mostly wrong with the first, and the second they just (greatly) fixed the uniform. Understandable to be wary of a Black Cat and Spider-woman movie by the same peeps.

Oppo

Nothing in Winter Soldier hinges on Captain America being superpowered in any way. It makes some of the fights more exciting but it's not like anyone is flying around or fighting for the fate of the cosmos or anything.

He jumps out of an airplane without a parachute

He falls like 30 stories out of an elevator and goes "ow"

What are you talking about

I love him pointing to Catwoman as the most important female character in the Bat franchise while ignoring the fact that the Catwoman in that movie was not even Selena Kyle. Literally was not the "most important female character in the bat franchise"

OctoMan

Banned
I love him pointing to Catwoman as the most important female character in the Bat franchise while ignoring the fact that the Catwoman in that movie was not even Selena Kyle. Literally was not the "most important female character in the bat franchise"
I don't think the general public knows, or at least does not give a shit, who Selena Kyle is or isnt. They do know cat woman though.

Posting this private stuff is pretty scummy. I'm not even sure why this forum allows private correspondence that was illegally stolen to be posted considering it's pretty anal about everything else. These emails aren't exposing some government evil that the public deserves to know about.
NRArgtk.gif

Relax..enjoy the show, old man.

Also, might want to contact a mod if you find this offensive..

Apparently Marvel sees Black Widow has a character who works better as a significant side character (much like how they see Hulk). And honestly, who would make a bigger splash. A spy who was previously brainwashed or an Air Force soldier who gains Kree DNA & becomes one of the most powerful heroes in the Marvel Universe?

I don't really think we need a current day Black Widow movie, she flies in and out of enough Marvel movies that her presence is never far.

But a Black Widow origin movie? I think that makes a whole lot of sense. There's been some inklings of her past but it's never been explained.

He jumps out of an airplane without a parachute

He falls like 30 stories out of an elevator and goes "ow"

What are you talking about

I meant nothing in terms of the kind of story they're telling. Winter Soldier is a spy thriller at its heart, they could easily build another story of that type for Black Widow in that universe.

Oppo

And goddamnit that elevator dive is AMAZING

It was, and it sort of made me think "ok cmon now" when it happened, but it's saved by the SHIELD dude looking at it on camera and going "you've gotta be kidding me".

WyndhamPrice said:
I meant nothing in terms of the kind of story they're telling. Winter Soldier is a spy thriller at its heart, they could easily build another story of that type for Black Widow in that universe.

Ok yes, I agree.

Blader

I don't really think we need a current day Black Widow movie, she flies in and out of enough Marvel movies that her presence is never far.

But a Black Widow origin movie? I think that makes a whole lot of sense. There's been some inklings of her past but it's never been explained.

I don't think they'll be doing that. There's too much momentum in seeing what's going to happen next -- with Civil War, with Thanos, with new characters being introduced -- that it would be almost a waste to spend an entire movie going backwards for an origin story. Though they could do a half-and-half story that's split between modern day Widow and flashbacks to her past, and have those tie together in whatever way.

I think the other issue with doing a Black Widow movie (or Hawkeye movie for that matter) is they're not flashy enough or have enough merch potential to warrant the $200+ million investment.

Oppo

Man the concept for Catwoman alone was so god awful.
Why did that ever get a green light?

There are so, so many things they could do with Catwoman. I mean she's a hyper skilled jewel thief who wears a hot leather suit. It takes effort to fuck this premise up.

massoluk

Banned
There are so, so many things they could do with Catwoman. I mean she's a hyper skilled jewel thief who wears a hot leather suit. It takes effort to fuck this premise up.

Sounds too plain, clearly we need to insert Cat God and cosmetic monster CEO

Kinyou

"How about... she fights an evil makeup company. Women like makeup, right?"

Posting this private stuff is pretty scummy. I'm not even sure why this forum allows private correspondence that was illegally stolen to be posted considering it's pretty anal about everything else. These emails aren't exposing some government evil that the public deserves to know about.

I agree with this.

Kusagari

Of course, we did get the greenlight for Captain Marvel over at Marvel Studios, but this does reveal very strong fears about, say, a Spider-Woman or Spider-Girl movie.

This makes it sound like he's just advising how hard it is to get the green light on a female movie considering the rocky past. Though he of course doesn't mention that all those movies were shit.

Corpekata

Banned
I mean, 2 of those are legendary campfest bad tiers of film making. The other is just a really boring bad movie. Perhaps the lesson should be about effort and writing rather than "female heroes don't play."

In other words, don't hire directors with a single name.

Polari

Bad movies do bad. What the hell was daredevils excuse.

Give me a time machine. I'm sure people would of appreciated a Xena movie.

"Bad movies do bad" is an overly simplistic interpretation. It's entirely plausible that there isn't the same market for female-led superhero films that there is for male-led ones. I'd argue though that the success of Hunger Games suggests otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom