• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E-Mail Leak: Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter on Female Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pau

I love him pointing to Catwoman as the most important female character in the Bat franchise while ignoring the fact that the Catwoman in that movie was not even Selena Kyle. Literally was not the "most important female character in the bat franchise"
The requires actual logic and thinking when it comes to female characters. Anything to fit the narrative of "women heroes don't sell/work/etc."

EulaCapra

Terrible examples of "just bad movie-making" regardless or not if they featured a female hero. To bring in the the very old Supergirl movie... why bother? And to bring this up in a 2014 email... did the Hunger Games just casually fly by him?

The few google images of him already make him look like a bad guy anyway. He looks straight up like a Captain Marvel villain.

riotous

Banned
] And to bring this up in a 2014 email... did the Hunger Games just casually fly by him?

Hunger games books have sold 10's of millions of copies in the few years before the series was turned into films to a massive target demographic.

I don't think any female superhero stories have that sort of base popularity.

However, many of the successful comic book films prove that a massive pop audience for the background characters is not needed to do really well.

However in general, action movies with female leads are not as proven of a commodity as their male lead/mixed gender counterparts.

It's certainly a risk to make a movie with a female action lead; but there are also examples of great success.

I'm reading this more as "Good luck with your executives. I'm running the biggest studio success story in recent memory and I still feel lucky to have actually gotten a budget out of Disney to make Captain Marvel."

ElRenoRaven

Yea to me this isn't a guy talking shit about female superhero movies. It looks more to me as a see these were shit. If you're going to make one don't make it like these.

Zok310

Banned
If the money ain't there don't expect these Capitalist to invest their time and energy. We know how these folks think, and its sad really. But its their money, and if the public can't guarantee them a return on their investment, as history have shown, can't blame them for not taking the risk.
Sucks, I know....

Bigfoot

A good female superhero will make money. The problem is that a bad female superhero movie will be a box office disaster. The male superhero movies that we consider bad still make back most of their money.

FTFY

But I agree, I can't wait for Carol to own the box office. Same for Diana.

olzB0uT.jpg

You damn right.

Thor, obviously.

They seriously should just give it to a woman now. Hemsworth has had 2 basura films with the character, and he's not that great in avengers (1) either. Aside from the eye candy for certain members of audience I don't think he'd be missed

Would be interesting

jackal27

Banned
Honestly I kind of take this more as "Female super heroes based off of male counterparts don't tend to work." This is where context would be super helpful.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
They greenlit agent carter and it was good, but didnt it have terrible ratings?

It had bad ratings because Marvel went for the Agents of Shield formula of random mission of the week. You'd think they'd have learnt their lesson after Agents of Shield almost dying for the same reason.
Hyped for Wonder Woman. Hoping they cast eva green or Angelina Jolie in there in some capacity

I'm still pissed for no Eva Green WW.

kirblar

They seriously should just give it to a woman now. Hemsworth has had 2 basura films with the character, and he's not that great in avengers (1) either. Aside from the eye candy for certain members of audience I don't think he'd be missed

Would be interesting
That definitely seems like the endgame, actually- Thor takes the throne, passes the hammer. I'm on board, as long as they don't try to call her Thor.

I am shocked CW didn't go for it. It would fit their target audience.
Rebooted Barbara Batgirl would work well with CW, Cass Cain Batgirl however would so perfectly fit on Arrow and it isn't like DC/WB cares about her or her reputation so why not(regardless her mom Shiva needs to show up soon)?

Rebooted Barbara Batgirl would work well with CW, Cass Cain Batgirl however would so perfectly fit on Arrow and it isn't like DC/WB cares about her or her reputation so why not(regardless her mom Shiva needs to show up soon)?

Cuz if you bring in Batgirl you'd have to introduce Gotham and Batman in some capacity, and you can't do that because DC/WB doesn't want to "confuse" people.

Birds of Prey, man.

Birds of Prey.
Failed for same reasons Catwoman's concept was dumb.
Batgirl was great though.
Batgirl_-_BOP_02.jpg

Cuz if you bring in Batgirl you'd have to introduce Gotham and Batman in some capacity, and you can't do that because DC/WB doesn't want to "confuse" people.

But Arrow has Ra's as a big bad and a Harley cameo while Flash has a Wayne Enterprises reference, all you have to do is say she left Gotham for a bit.
They will never use her elsewhere so they aren't really wasting her potential.

"Bad movies do bad" is an overly simplistic interpretation. It's entirely plausible that there isn't the same market for female-led superhero films that there is for male-led ones. I'd argue though that the success of Hunger Games suggests otherwise.

And Lucy which was a world wide hit, and I'd argue Lucy is a super hero movie (well super powers at least)

Nekofrog

Banned
isn't one of the main conflicts in supergirl that supergirl and the villain are fighting over a man?

i mean, come on.

Posting this private stuff is pretty scummy. I'm not even sure why this forum allows private correspondence that was illegally stolen to be posted considering it's pretty anal about everything else. These emails aren't exposing some government evil that the public deserves to know about.

And gender inequality in the workplace is small potatoes?

How is posting this scummy? Using your own logic, they are not compromising U.S. military action or anything. They are revealing the habits of the people making decisions about movies and entertainment. I mean, are you actually suggesting that there's some moral reason we shouldn't give a shit about how the world works?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom