• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E-Mail Leak: Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter on Female Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, he points out the cat woman movie, but what about Michelle Pfeiffer's Selina Kyle? That character/actress combo was amazing.

Cuburt

I thought this would be some sort of juicy scandalous email. There is nothing here. Especially nothing that everybody isn't already aware of. Everyone knows those movies did bad and were grounds for many studio execs to not greenlight female superhero films, not to mention female lead action films in general.

There have been some articles that have shed some not-so-favorable light on Perlmutter's alleged attitudes towards women in the work place, but this adds nothing to that narrative.

Of course those movies would be bad when you pull shit like turning Catwoman's origin into some ancient Egyptian cat breathing life into her and giving her sticky fingers.

Supergirl came after Superman III in an attempt to pump some life into the franchise. And Elektra was an afterthought brought about by the Daredevil movie. They didn't put in the effort and what they ended up with was trash.

Syriel

So, there's an article that's been floating in and out of my timeline regarding an e-mail Ike Perlmutter sent to Michael Lynton of Sony:

Of course, we did get the greenlight for Captain Marvel over at Marvel Studios, but this does reveal very strong fears about, say, a Spider-Woman or Spider-Girl movie.

The article itself is a bit old (April 17th), but it's picked up a bit of steam today because someone sent it to director Lexi Alexander, who's been talking/going off about it for a while now. I figured since we have a very...lively group of fans/observers, and the topic of female heroes comes up a lot, that I'd share. I bolded the thing about incomplete conversations because it is important to keep context in mind.

There's logic in his thought process, those three movies did not do good financially. Before you say "but those were bad movies though" let me remind you that Transformers movies make tons of coin, and are bad movies. All this being said, I'd hold off judgement on female superhero movies until we get one that gets good reviews.

Still can't believe "female-led action movies can't succeed" is peddled around in Hollywood nowadays.

Reading that email I don't see anything like "female-led action movies can't succeed" or that female superheroes don't sell.

Honestly it looks like the Marvel guy is throwing subtle shade at Sony, basically saying that Marvel is making a female-led superhero movie, and they expect it to do well, but Marvel doesn't have faith in Sony to do it right without screwing it up (given recent attempts at Spider-man).

They seriously should just give it to a woman now. Hemsworth has had 2 basura films with the character, and he's not that great in avengers (1) either. Aside from the eye candy for certain members of audience I don't think he'd be missed

Would be interesting

You do that to the films and you're just going to have a bunch of people complaining that Marvel is trying to "sex up" Thor to appeal to the male demographic, by removing an actor who is quite popular with the ladies and replacing him with a woman.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
cSDQ7TW.png

The invisible jet is now an invisible cloak. Mark me.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Please do not make threads about leaked private emails which have zero newsworthiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom