• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 press conference; June 10th 6PM PT/9PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
15 Microsoft first-party Xbone exclusives within the first year.

Most of those titles are going to be coming with a) studios with no track record b) games that have been in development for a long time and were rough when they were first shown c) Kinect titles. If they split Kinect/core development down the middle then 7-8 high profile exclusives doesn't seem impressive and a lot of those titles are coming from unproven devs.

Most of those titles are going to be coming with a) studios with no track record b) games that have been in development for a long time and were rough when they were first shown c) Kinect titles. If they split Kinect/core development down the middle then 7-8 high profile exclusives doesn't seem impressive and a lot of those titles are coming from unproven devs.

Yea i expect at least half to be kinect games and all of them to have some sort of kinect function. Ryse supposedly is one of their main big games and its rumored to have heavy use of kinect.

i-Lo

A part 2 of this needs exist... soon:

tumblr_mlor7jffqW1r0shcco3_400.gif

Boke1879

Agreed. People need to temper their expectations of the 15 exclusive games. They aren't going to all be AAA. Even if they were they WOULD not be released in the same year. I think it would be impossible to do. Nintendo nor Sony could even do it.

Agreed. People need to temper their expectations of the 15 exclusive games. They aren't going to all be AAA. Even if they were they WOULD not be released in the same year. I think it would be impossible to do. Nintendo nor Sony could even do it.

Maybe not Impossible, not seriously not smart. There aren't going to be enough consoles sold in the first year for any console to support that many titles. They would just be stepping all over each other.

Kame

Yep. They're at 12:30 am EST.

Microsoft

Monday June 10th @ 9:30AM PT

Ubisoft

Monday, June 10th @ 1PM PT

EA

Monday, June 10th @ 3PM PT

Sony

Monday June 10th @ 6PM PT

Nintendo

Canceled

Nintendo canceled.

What the fuck is this shit ?

Endo Punk

Bloody Roar isn't popular enough for Sony to bankroll an exclusive but I had so much fun with Bloody Roar 3 in the early days of PS2. Not a serious fighter but a terrific party one and would love to see it return. It has a lot of potential to be awesome with the power of PS4.

I'm also one of the few that loves the lore of Demon's Souls so much that I would be over the moon with Demon's Souls 2 even with Dark Souls on the horizon.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
also as someone either in here or another thread pointed out microsoft allows its partners to retain their ip (gears of war, mass effect for example) which i imagine insomniac would find tempting.
Insomniac didn't find it all that tempting in the past three console generations, almost 20 years worth of IP so far.

Boke1879

Bloody Roar isn't popular enough for Sony to bankroll an exclusive but I had so much fun with Bloody Roar 3 in the early days of PS2. Not a serious fighter but a terrific party one and would love to see it return. It has a lot of potential to be awesome with the power of PS4.

I'm also one of the few that loves the lore of Demon's Souls so much that I would be over the moon with Demon's Souls 2 even with Dark Souls on the horizon.

You said it yourself. Bloody Roar isn't popular enough. It would cost Sony next to nothing to help develop the title. If it's a fun party title like you say then with some sound game design. It could help fill a certain niche.

Not for Sony to bankroll no, but if the developer thought being exclusive near launch could distinguish it, it could happen. Sony could help and wouldn't need to do that much, just give it some pr push.

AmanoBuff

Here's a small chart of E3 times I just made for all fellow GAFfers in Southamerica. I hope you find it helpful.

Ta6p0pt.png

If there is any mistake just let me know so I can update it.

Withnail

Insomniac didn't find it all that tempting in the past three console generations, almost 20 years worth of IP so far.

Well in previous gens if an independent developer like Insomniac wanted to make a console game they had little choice but to sell the IP. I don't think publishers were exactly queuing up to fund studios and not have any ownership of the end product.

This is also the situation in other creative industries like music, books, etc. Publishers usually expect some level of control in return for their financial investment,

That's changed quite a bit this gen though and indies like Insomniac definitely have more options these days.

Drencrom

As long as Sony don't implement it at an OS level and there isn't any 'needs internet connection every 24 hours' bullshit, it's not so bad.

I could do without most EA games.

If this rumor is true, this is the most important thing about their DRM. I can see EA requesting Sony to have the ability to block their games and if they wouldn't comply, EA would just drop their game support to their platform al á Wii U.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567973

If this is true I don't think I'm going to get a PS4..

Well, when EA cancelled their Online Pass and it wasn't "good will" but a DRM MS partnership, I did wonder how they would treat the PS4.
Reintroduce Online Pass just for the PS4?
I did fear/expect that they would be allowed to do the same as the deal with MS.

It doesn't effect me (except for lending and borrowing) but I do hope for everyone else that it's down to individual publishers.

Eugh, next-gen NHL could be great after a few years.

Okay. One EA game. Just the one.

I'm pretty confident Sony will at least not include DRM in their first-party titles, based on what yosp said. They'll probably stick with network passes.

Salaadin

From that other thread:

No. Sony did develop a tech. It's just not looking like they are gong to use it.

I'm going to cut and paste something I wrote in the original post this quote came from because it got buried and it isn't me talking out of my ass, it's me talking about things I've heard from the same people that told me (which i then posted here) the entire ps4 reveal first party line up.

____

I think people are overblowing that this is pressure from outside publishers. Im sure they want it... but the reason these things were ever investigated in the first place was because it would make Sony and MS more money. Not because they wanted to please their partners. That's just a nice bit of gravy on top.

Honestly though, I don't think either are going to happen. Im fairly certain that Sony has dropped their plans based on a few folks I've talked to. And even though I don't really like microsoft... they aren't stupid... they have plenty of time to roll this back. They already have been if you compare how restrictive the policy sounded on day one and what it sounds like now (with the inclusion of "we will have more to say later"). Basically the outrage is making everyone take another look at these things and see if its worthwhile. And I know a lot of people around here think that publishers are strong arming them into this... but as I explained above, they aren't, these are initiatives by sony and MS to make money for Sony and MS. If they feel like the consumer outrage will cut into their profits more than used games will... used games will be just like they were last gen. And that's what I expect to ultimately happen.

And this flies in the face all of the people saying "CALM DOWN, WAIT FOR E3!!!" The lesson here is not to calm down, it's too tell these companies you don't like what they are doing. Which means take off your fanboy hat for a second and join in letting whatever company you have a preference for know you aren't happy. If everyone was quiet after the MS reveal I can guarantee that both companies would be full steam ahead with restrictive policies. Hell, they would possibly be making them more restrictive.

I actually did caution that it was coming about a week ago. Because as of a week ago it was.

I just heard on friday that it wasn't. I didn't want to come right out and post about it because leak-y individuals like myself are getting a bit too much attention and I don't care about myself but Im not really looking to get my friends into trouble. But i've confirmed it with a second person so I got dumb and posted it.

Chubigans can vouch for me though on having been correct on other sony leaks in the past.

And chubigans should probably PM me again telling me to be quiet.

I dont know how legit famousmortimer is but this still gives me hope.

i-Lo

From that other thread:

I dont know how legit famousmortimer is but this still gives me hope.

In any event, Sony should be given absolutely NO corner when it comes ascertaining the truth about their strategy pertaining used games. DRM or not, it's time to get pure unambiguous answers. I hope that's what the media do after the presentation if they can't get the answers prior to that.

Sony was correct to get out first, get the push behind it, and get the narrative about games, games, games.

They were able to sit and see what MS had to offer.

They KNOW the ball is in their court. The may announce the same shit as MS but we will see.

it's time to get pure unambiguous answers. I hope that's what the media do after the presentation if they can't get the answers prior to that.
Whatever they say, it needs to be VERY CLEAR and not have the pr clusterfuck that MS had.

Salaadin

In any event, Sony should be given absolutely NO corner when it comes ascertaining the truth about their strategy pertaining used games. DRM or not, it's time to get pure unambiguous answers. I hope that's what the media do after the presentation if they can't get the answers prior to that.

I agree. Media needs to get a little pushy and get us answers.

Salaadin

Good news...

He says this too:

I have no idea but it is tech based off that patent. I don't know how it works, the people I know don't know how it works, but sony seems to think it works.

And before the insane backlash that MS got there was still internal arguing going on whether to use it or not. Two days after the reveal they decided to scrap it. I am 100% certain that after they announce that used games are just like the ps3 (online passes for those that want to use them... and that's about it) that they will say "we never really looked into any anti-used game stuff" which will be complete BS.

But BS or not, sony learned something this week. I don't know a solitary person aligned with MS but it's hard for me to fathom that they didn't.

Very interesting stuff. So, if this pans out, it wasnt set in stone yet which probably explains the dodgey answers at their 2/20 reveal. And then MS reveal made Sony pull their ideas off the table for good.

I wonder what would have happened if MS never had their reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom