• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ending PSN support for PSP on September 15th

It is as if some of you people don't even know how to read or deliberately go out of your way to come to the worst possible conclusion.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Even that's not true. You can't buy them on the PSP, but you can still download them (by going to your download list). Literally the only thing they're removing is store access.

Well, hopefully they fix the download list then. Because going through 4 platforms of purchases just to get your PSP stuff off it is insane.

RhyDin

So already owned titles will still be available digitally from the Playstation website, if I'm reading correctly?

This isn't a bandwidth concern, then. This is a move to push PSP owners to buy a Vita or PS4, right? How much effort and server costs are really required to house the PSN master servers for PSP? What other reasoning could be behind this? It's understandable they no longer want to pay employees to maintain an old network that is not widely used, I suppose, but I wonder how much maintenance is really required outside of the occasional reboot or cleanup.

It's a shame. It's a real shame that they can't just throw the servers in a room with the PS4 ones and keep them going. I was a PSP-1000 early adopter and don't use the service anymore, personally - haven't for years. Even so, it's saddening that services like this just go poof and the games that rely on them for netplay become lost to time forever without reverse engineered servers.

Literally the only thing they're removing is store access.

Misleading topic title, then.

so, I still have a copy of Patapon 2 which, instead of a physical UMD, has a digital download code inside the box. I haven't bothered to unwrap the case until now, since I'm still on Patapon 1. Can I redeem the code for the game online and have it attached to my account?

stryke

so, I still have a copy of Patapon 2 which, instead of a physical UMD, has a digital download code inside the box. I haven't bothered to unwrap the case until now, since I'm still on Patapon 1. Can I redeem the code for the game online and have it attached to my account?

That depends, has the code expired?

I'd wager to say, yes. Just redeem it on the online store.

That depends, has the code expired?

I dunno i never opened it. looks like I better do it now. lol

When I bought it they said there would only be a digital release in NA. man I'd love to get a physical copy of the game now. guess I'll have to do some looking around for a copy.

It would have been nice to get a little more notice. Oh well, I guess it's time to finally mod my "main" PSP.
Just to be clear here you don't own either of the following:
-A PS3
-A Windows PC
If you do then you need to do nothing as you can still use the store and download games to the PSP as has been said about 60 times in the thread.

Do you live in:
-Europe
-Ocean
-Asia (not Japan)
-Parts of Africa that can use PSN store
If not again you need to do nothing as your crappy PSN store on PSP browser still works.

-A PS3
-A Windows PC
If you do then you need to do nothing as you can still use the store and download games to the PSP as has been said about 60 times in the thread.

Do you live in:
-Europe
-Ocean
-Asia (not Japan)
If not again you need to do nothing as your crappy PSN store on PSP browser still works.

You don't even need a PS3 or Windows PC. Sony have said that you'll still be able to access the download list from the PSP, so all you'd need is a decent browser to access the webstore and make all your purchases on it, then download them using the download list.

Kovaelin

-A PS3
-A Windows PC

Do you live in:
-Europe
-Ocean
-Asia (not Japan)

Ah.. thanks. I realize that downloading previous purchases won't be a problem, but accessing the PSN store from my PSP was still nice. I'd still rather not lose it, even if some people did see this as being inevitable. I didn't have to sort through all the stuff I couldn't play, and I remember there being some DLC I could only see when I was on the PSP.

In any case, that wasn't my point. One week notification is still very little time. If the company operated this way with something more popular, people wouldn't be so forgiving.

stryke

Ah.. thanks. I realize that downloading previous purchases won't be a problem, but accessing the PSN store from my PSP was still nice. I'd still rather not lose it, even if some people did see this as being inevitable. I didn't have to sort through all the stuff I couldn't play, and I remember there being some DLC I could only see when I was on the PSP.

In any case, that wasn't my point. One week notification is still very little time. If the company operated this way with something more popular, people wouldn't be so forgiving.

If more people cared, they wouldn't be cutting off store access in the first place.

andshrew

So the PSP store is now dead in the UK. It still opens but one of the image titles now says 'The PlayStation Portable store has moved to store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com', everything else is blanked out.

You can still access your download list directly on the PSP, but given that it lists absolutely everything you've ever downloaded on your account I hope you enjoy scrolling if you want to find those PSP games you bought years ago.

Media Go's download list does filter to only PSP content but it seems broken in that there is a limit on how many it can show as it's only showing the most recent games I bought (10 variations of MGS and MGS special missions... thanks Sony/Kojima).

Seems the quickest way to re-download your stuff is via the web store to a PS3, but if you only have the PSP you can at least download (and buy) games without needing anything else.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's easy to forget now, but for most of the PSP's lifespan, you didn't have access to the store on the machine anyway. It was an addition in much later firmware updates.

Darknight

Wait, is it true what I'm hearing? Has ZHP been removed from PSN in the U.S.?

For now it has been removed, it will or should be back in the near future. They basically removed the game, patch the firmware with exploit hole, wait some weeks, then placed back for sale.

As far as Im aware it was due to the exploit within that game not because some licensing issues where it had to be taken down like a few other titles.

NolbertoS

I have a sealed copy of a PSP 3000, think i'll ipen it now so I can at least get firmware updates. I guess we can d/l PSP games on thr PS3 and than USB transfer to the PS Vita

TechCat

Neo Member
For now it has been removed, it will or should be back in the near future. They basically removed the game, patch the firmware with exploit hole, wait some weeks, then placed back for sale.

As far as Im aware it was due to the exploit within that game not because some licensing issues where it had to be taken down like a few other titles.

Thanks for the info! Does it work on the Vita by any chance? I bought the game a long time ago and my PSPGo has been dead for a long while too. I'm buying a Vita soon and I'm assuming it should appear on my downloads list. Anything I should be aware of? Sorry to bother.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have a sealed copy of a PSP 3000, think i'll ipen it now so I can at least get firmware updates. I guess we can d/l PSP games on thr PS3 and than USB transfer to the PS Vita

You can always run firmware updates from the eBoot firmware upgrade files that non-Sony people have already archived on the web... so I'd say that's not really a concern even if Sony shuts everything down someday.

Top Bottom