• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ending PSN support for PSP on September 15th

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
PSP version of the store was pretty ass tbh, always used PS3(before PS3 store became ass) or Mediago.

Almost read the topic like other people in the thread and thought psp games were gone forever lol.

JackelZXA

wow thats fucking bullshit. i still like the play ps1 games on my psp from time to time.

fuck shutting off support for old versions. i know its extra work to certify every patch for psp, but i hate when a decision is based on "We ran the numbers this month, and this month the numbers were bad so we can use that as crappy evidence to allow us to do whatever money saving crap we want" I guess if i want to put chrono cross on my psp to play the first hour and then stop....i'll have to look into whatever this media go thing is? Why not just lock the firmware and keep it going on its own? (I feel the same way about "why can't sega just put up one pso server again, maybe 2?")

cj_iwakura

Even if this is true, you can easily get PSP games off the PS3 or media go if you had to. Hell, copy the files the old fashioned way via USB if you have to.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
wow thats fucking bullshit. i still like the play ps1 games on my psp from time to time.

fuck shutting off support for old versions. i know its extra work to certify every patch for psp, but i hate when a decision is based on "We ran the numbers this month, and this month the numbers were bad so we can use that as crappy evidence to allow us to do whatever money saving crap we want" I guess if i want to put chrono cross on my psp to play the first hour and then stop....i'll have to look into whatever this media go thing is? Why not just lock the firmware and keep it going on its own? (I feel the same way about "why can't sega just put up one pso server again, maybe 2?")

Media Go downloads the files at a much faster rate anyway. It's really not that difficult.

And some people need to read properly. They're not taking away the games, nor your library, just access to the store itself. Is it more troublesome? Definitely. But not the end of the world.

I'm more concerned about ZHP. Didn't know they removed it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
i can't find on the mediago website if they support anything but windows

MediaGo is Windows only last I checked.

It's a stupid move all around. How the hell are you supposed to get your digital bought stuff off PSN if you only own a PSP and a non-Windows PC now?

At least this means the PSP is officially end-of-life for Sony and people can hack their systems for various reasons (Gameshark being one if you're into that) for PSP and PSX titles now. Hoorah?

It's a stupid move all around. How the hell are you supposed to get your digital bought stuff off PSN if you only own a PSP and a non-Windows PC now?

At least this means the PSP is officially end-of-life for Sony and people can hack their systems for various reasons (Gameshark being one if you're into that) for PSP and PSX titles now. Hoorah?

You buy it from the web store (which is on pretty much anything that has a browser) and download it to your PSP. You still have access to the download list, the actual storefront is what you're losing access to.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You buy it from the web store (which is on pretty much anything that has a browser) and download it to your PSP. You still have access to the download list, the actual storefront is what you're losing access to.

Webstore downloads work on OS X/*NIX?

ThunderReign

Neo Member

You could use the web store to buy and then the games would apear in the download list. Although I guess this wont work with the latter model PSP that has no WiFi.

Vita's right behind you, PSP!
leuhkikcskn4.gif
Sucks for PSP owners - especially those who invested in the Go. Really hate this sort of thing, as it turns me completely off to digital distribution.

kpaadet

I can only speak for the EU store but for example Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles and End of Serenity are not Vita compatible.

Wow I cant believe I missed Dracula X Chronicles finally coming to the EU PSN store, too bad its not compatible with Vita yet (hopefully). Now give me Crisis Core on the PSN store SE.

ZeroX03

Banned
So if you have a PSP Go and not own a PS3 nor a Windows computer, you're fucked?

Well, yeah, but you're in a pretty small minority there. You can also just use someone else's PS3 or PC, log in on that, download what you want and transfer. But first you have to own a PSP Go, and that's a pretty tall order.

Foffy

Banned
I'm more concerned about ZHP. Didn't know they removed it.

We'll have to see if Sony will care enough in the coming days to put it back up. It was in fact removed because it was the most recent game to offer homebrew on Vita, so it was only taken down a short time ago.

Visiting the PS Store through a PSP today is an amazing step back in time. Sony stopped updating it forever ago. FIFA 12 is still listed as the top 'latest release'.

randomkid

We'll have to see if Sony will care enough in the coming days to put it back up. It was in fact removed because it was the most recent game to offer homebrew on Vita, so it was only taken down a short time ago.

Of all the games to offer homebrew haha. Been waiting years to pick this up but this is one of those incredibly rare titles that never goes on sale and never price collapsed. I just wanted to pay $10 for it and it doesn't seem like that's ever gonna happen.

Krejlooc

Banned
This really sucks for people who relied heavily on PSN especially for go users. I always figured this would be the case so I made sure to hang on to my PSP-1000, which is modded, and bought only physical copies. My PSP Go has a soft mod application that needs to be run once at boot up, and then it can play games that I can dump from my PSP-1000. That's how I was able to play games that never went on PSN to my knowledge, like Crisis Core.

It still sucks, I think I have a couple of digital PSP purchases for my Vita. Welcome to the digital future, thank god for homebrew.

~~Hasan~~

Get used it people. It will happen to every download service eventually.

Expecting to be able to download digital titles on your PS360 10 years from now is a pipedream.

Hell, im not even sure about 5 years.

Never pay full price for digital titles. Ever.

this is why consoles sucks and I am shifting to pc slowly. i will not get rid of my consoles for exclusives. but for every multiplatform game i will buy it on pc. at least 10 years from now i still can download and play it.

You can still buy digital games on the webstore, so this is essentially a non issue for approximately 100% of psp owners.

We should panic more.

RP912

Banned
I forgot how shitty the PSN store was on the psp. Laggy and it took forever to download games to it. I remember final fantasy 7 taking two hours to download on my psp go :/.

MUnited83

For you.
HOLY SHIT! ZHP is actually completely removed from the webstore too. When I dig through my download list online, it brings up a blank page (even Brave story, a game that has been off the store since six months before the vita release still has a page on the webstore). Now the download list location still says that I can download it directly to my vita, but for how long!?!

Forever. They aren't taking away the game from you if you already bought it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
God dammit I wanted to buy a PSP GO and everything....
I'd recommend it. It's a great piece of hardware with full CFW support. You can do whatever you want on a PSP GO.

I almost exclusively bought PSP games on UMD but the GO is still a very cool device. I've ripped me library to my PC and can simply drop titles on the system (along with emulators and other homebrew stuff).

Ponn

Banned
I have Jeanne on my Vita. I transferred from PS3, but it definitely works. I also recall some recent news about it being made available from the Vita store directly.

I'm in NA, btw. Sometimes that matters.

Yea i'm kinda confused about how adamant people are being. Thats how i'm playing Valkyria Chronicles 2 on Vita. Was the PS3 transfer option closed recently? I know its not an official option and not viable for those that don't have a PS3 but its been a big reason why i'm not in a rush to upgrade to PS4 and won't trade my PS3 in. I have most of my PSP games already downloaded and stored on the PS3 and will probably end up doing the same for Vita games if this happens to Vita support.

AmyS

PSP - The most successful non-Nintendo dedicated gaming handheld ever.

It all started with this image Sony showed of the prototype at E3 2003

xN8HK1I.jpg

oGNShbO.jpg

DryvBy

This is exactly why a digital-only future is a horrible idea. Let people chance it that love digital, and let me buy a delicious physical copy.

Krejlooc

Banned
God dammit I wanted to buy a PSP GO and everything....

Really the best PSP there is, not counting the Vita. As a portable system, it's so small and compact and feels much better in the hands than the normal PSP. Even though it's plastic and not metal like the PSP-1000, it feels solid.

The best thing about the PSP Go is that it has built in dual shock 3 support. Grab a cradle and some AV cables, buy a DS3, and you have a dedicated PSP console for your TV. With CFW (which is as easy as dropping an app on your card and running it once per boot) you have access to the entire PSP library and can even use things like Fusa to output in fullscreen. Like I said above, I use my PSP-1000 as a dedicated UMD ripping machine to play games on my GO that were never released on PSN.

Great buy. They're cheap as hell now, too.

bigkrev

Actually used my PSP for the first time in years when the fan translation of Type 0 came out. It wasn't easy going back after being used to the Vita.

As long as Media GO and PS3 still allow purchase and transfer, there is nothing wrong with this.

jcm

I don't understand why they're doing this. The cost to maintain the PSP store has to be minimal. What do they stand to gain?

Moofers

Welp my PSP Go is now useless. What a bonehead move.

I dont understand this line of thinking. Your games aren't getting wiped from the device.

I have one and while I still keep all my games on it, I use it more for playing MP3s than anything. My Vita has all but 2 of my PSP games on it so I don't really use the Go for gaming anymore.

Moofers

Really the best PSP there is, not counting the Vita. As a portable system, it's so small and compact and feels much better in the hands than the normal PSP. Even though it's plastic and not metal like the PSP-1000, it feels solid.

The best thing about the PSP Go is that it has built in dual shock 3 support. Grab a cradle and some AV cables, buy a DS3, and you have a dedicated PSP console for your TV. With CFW (which is as easy as dropping an app on your card and running it once per boot) you have access to the entire PSP library and can even use things like Fusa to output in fullscreen. Like I said above, I use my PSP-1000 as a dedicated UMD ripping machine to play games on my GO that were never released on PSN.

Great buy. They're cheap as hell now, too.

I'd love to know more about how you do this.

Krejlooc

Banned
I'd love to know more about how you do this.

The CFW I have on my PSP-1000 (m33) has a menu you can pull up with the select button. One of the options is to output the UMD device via USB. If you connect your PSP to your PC via USB, then select this option, your PSP appears on your PC as a UMD drive. You can then click the drive and the game will be sitting there in the root as an iso. Copy the ISO to your PC, then disconnect your PSP. Connect your PSP Go to your PC and drop the iso in your memory card.

To run the ripped game on your PSP Go, you need a CFW. Unfortunately, to permanently soft mod your PSP Go, you need a super early firmware. Luckily, there is an app you can drop on your memory card that will soft mod your PSP Go by simply running the app after boot. Once it's soft modded via running the app, it'll stay soft modded until your turn off the PSP, at which point it'll return to an OFW. If you try and run the game on the OFW, you'll get an error, but with the CFW it'll boot without problems.

Really simple, not very complicated at all.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't understand why they're doing this. The cost to maintain the PSP store has to be minimal. What do they stand to gain?

Not necessarily.

They likely worked out how many people were using their PSPs to download from the store and figured that the amount was not enough to justify the cost of upkeep.

This is exactly why a digital-only future is a horrible idea. Let people chance it that love digital, and let me buy a delicious physical copy.

Can you explain this line of reasoning?

The digital games are all still available on the webstore. They are ending service for an inferior and likely little used means of buying games on a decade old device.

Krejlooc

Banned
Can you explain this line of reasoning?

The digital games are all still available on the webstore. They are ending service for an inferior and likely little used means of buying games on a decade old device.

Because, while the titles are still available today, they ultimately won't be. We don't have to wait until they disappear to recognize the inevitable. Presumably, this guy wants a permanent backup of his games. As a retro collector, I feel the same way - I was just playing some 35 year old gaming machines yesterday. Will these digital downloads still be available 35 years later? All one has to do is look at the games forever lost because they were on sega channel (like Garfield: The lost levels) or Satellaview to understand why it sucks.

Luckily, homebrew has fixed all the problems I have with the PSP's digital distribution, and stuff like PC affords me the flexibility to take measures to make sure my games will never be lost or able to lock me out. But these concerns are why I don't buy digital games on the WiiU, PS4, or Xbox One (outside of rare exceptions).

Because, while the titles are still available today, they ultimately won't be. We don't have to wait until they disappear to recognize the inevitable. Presumably, this guy wants a permanent backup of his games. As a retro collector, I feel the same way - I was just playing some 35 year old gaming machines yesterday. Will these digital downloads still be available 35 years later? All one has to do is look at the games forever lost because they were on sega channel (like Garfield: The lost levels) or Satellaview to understand why it sucks.

Luckily, homebrew has fixed all the problems I have with the PSP's digital distribution, and stuff like PC affords me the flexibility to take measures to make sure my games will never be lost or able to lock me out. But these concerns are why I don't buy digital games on the WiiU, PS4, or Xbox One (outside of rare exceptions).

Digital is a more permanent back up than physical though. Carts die, discs break, but digital games are capable of indefinite duplication.

The modding, homebrew, emulation communities all exist due to the ability to digitize games rather than depending on physical media. Its not luck at all, its just a product of the inherent superiority of digital as a means of game preservation.

I prefer all digital to digital only because people who want physical should have it, but the fact is tht if all psp games had been digital to begin with then they would be more available and more permanent now than they are on umds.

isitstill

Sorry if this seems opportunistic, but I am looking for a PSP Go, and I have a bunch of stuff available to trade for it. It's like mic and match, so just pick some stuf that I'm offering and PM me. It's in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread in Community.

Hope I'm not breaking a rule or anything by posting this here; just figured if anyone was going to get rid of their Go because of this, I'd be glad to have it. Thanks.

Edit: mix and match, not mic and match

Top Bottom