• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ending PSN support for PSP on September 15th

entremet

Stuff like this makes me hesitant going digital on PS platforms, if true.

Sony is very strange about keeping 1st party servers.

kunonabi

I could never get my pspgo to connect to the internet anyway. Always had to transfer from my PS3 or PC.

SerTapTap

Whoever rags on the PSP clearly never owned or cared enough to find games for it. Incredible library and was one of the only handhelds to put up a fight against Nintendo. Incredible platform.

Sadly almost none of those great games transferred to Vita, really wish Sony Japan kept up the pace with Loco Roco and Patapon. 3, THREE of each on PSP, none for Vita. Shoulda been there at launch.

Yet more proof, if ever it were needed, that no platform holders can be trusted when it comes to digital downloads. Pretty much makes my PSP Go useless. Considering the PSP still has 1 more RPG release on the horizon I have to wonder just how people are expected to buy that now.

But every digital PSP game is playable on VITA...
Not even remotely close. I've got Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Me & My Katamari permanently on my memory stick from that slip up a few months ago where Sony removed all the locks relating to PSP and PSone games being downloaded and transferred to Vita. They quickly closed the loophole, and now those and many, MANY other games are blocked again. If you didn't get them on your memory card in time, you can't play them on your Vita.

Here's a full screenshot of the email

FdwI83d.png

It says you can still buy things through the SEN webstore and download them directly to the PSP through the download list.

Seems more legit now, found the same thing in french

I have a PSP Go. It is mainly used for CFW with emulators as Media go doesn't work to authenticate the system, it just comes up with a nonsensical error that Sony don't actually understand. I can't get it onto the web store to authenticate it either (I don't have any prehistoric wireless security access points). The only PSP game purchase I've made is Vagrant Story (which I could play on a PS3...unless they remove PSN support from that before I get one).

Has this been confirmed anywhere? Seems like something Sony would send an official press release to cover.

Why don't we wait until we actually know what is happening before freaking out? That said, if ti is true it is a major bummer and makes me increasingly hesitant to buy digital content on Sony hardware.

Avallon

Here's a full screenshot of the email

It says you can still buy things through the SEN webstore and download them directly to the PSP through the download list.

Can we please get a real source and not a single email from a German forum?

antibolo

Banned
Aren't there still new PSP games coming out in Japan?

And what about the localization for that Trails in the Sky sequel that Xseed is still working on??

Why are they pulling the plug now?

I call bullshit, something this important wouldn't be just on some German forum.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Stuff like this makes me hesitant going digital on PS platforms, if true.

Sony is very strange about keeping 1st party servers.

Why? You still have access to all the games you bought. The only thing you cannot use is the store. Probably because the psp firmware is hopelessly out of date.

stryke

Not even remotely close. I've got Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Me & My Katamari permanently on my memory stick from that slip up a few months ago where Sony removed all the locks relating to PSP and PSone games being downloaded and transferred to Vita. They quickly closed the loophole, and now those and many, MANY other games are blocked again. If you didn't get them on your memory card in time, you can't play them on your Vita.

I was aware of the compatibility fuck up, only thought it was related to PS1 titles.

I can only speak for the EU store but for example Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles and End of Serenity are not Vita compatible.

Ok, obviously I have some catching up to do. I thought this compatibility problem only existed with PS1 titles.

Voliko

What about when the digital only Brandish releases in NA? This is bullshit, I wanted to play that on PSP, I don't have a Vita yet.

Seems like a none issue when you read those mails.

Pretty much. If they are real, the only change is that you can't access the store and buy stuff throught the PSP anymore. You can still download things from your download list and/or transfer stuff from the PS3/PC. Still, it's strange that I can only find three sites reporting this and the mail is supposedly 7 hours old.

antibolo

Banned
Wait so this only applies to accessing the Store directly from the PSP?

That's a very minor inconvenience.

Hell I never do it on my PSP, as the PSP doesn't support WPA2 which is required by my home WiFi. Whenever I want to install a game on my PSP I do it from my PS3. And for those without a PS3 the Media Go app is another option.

This thread is very misleading and blowing this out of proportion, they're only shutting down the PSP storefront, digital PSP games on a PSP will still be supported.

As long as I can access the download list, I'm happy. I'd imagine the storefront side of things would be harder to maintain than than the list. Still, I hope they leave that side around for a while.. The web store still working is nice, but it'd be nice to see a final PSP update that removes the PSN Store icon from the XMB.

entremet

Why? You still have access to all the games you bought. The only thing you cannot use is the store. Probably because the psp firmware is hopelessly out of date.

I still have PSP digital games on my to buy list.

Not all PSP digital games are available for the Vita. I prefer using my PSP for PSP stuff.

ngff02

Pretty sure everyone is taking it out of context.The PSN store on the PSP was a feature added very late in the PSP's lifetime, and who really used it? It was much easier (and quicker) to use PS3 or the PC.

BibiMaghoo

Wow, that sucks, though I guess it was only a matter of time. It was a godly portable device. I still remember the first time I got to play one with Wipeout. It was amazing for the time.

Z3M0G

1 week notice?

I'll always love my PSPGo. I can still use the PC or PS3 store to download and transfer content. So I can live with this.

Toad.T

Banned
Gonna pour one out for the old beast. Nearly every physical game I had that had a digital version has been downloaded, and most others that I'd want are on the Vita store, but it's still disappointing to see it go.

Get used it people. It will happen to every download service eventually.

Expecting to be able to download digital titles on your PS360 10 years from now is a pipedream.

Hell, im not even sure about 5 years.

Never pay full price for digital titles. Ever.

Get used it people. It will happen to every download service eventually.

Expecting to be able to download digital titles on your PS360 10 years from now is a pipedream.

Hell, im not even sure about 5 years.

Never pay full price for digital titles. Ever.

They're not taking away the titles or removing the ability to download them

bobawesome

Whoever rags on the PSP clearly never owned or cared enough to find games for it. Incredible library and was one of the only handhelds to put up a fight against Nintendo. Incredible platform.

Real talk. The PSP has an amazing library of games.

Top Bottom