• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony ending PSN support for PSP on September 15th

Tetranet

I wonder if in 20 years we'll still be able to download our PS3 games.

I know there's other ways to get your games on your PSP other than using the PSP's store, but this kinda opens a worrying precedent.

Yeah, I don't understand what costs so much for them. Things like this shouldn't happen save the company collapsing.

Harlock

I believe that in PSP case Sony only direct comparison was Nintendo services. With PS3/360 going to be an inverted race who close the service first, Sony or Microsoft.

The End

This sucks, no lie, but it's somewhat softened by the fact that you can still load stuff on there through your PC or PS3.

And, let's be honest here, it's not like Sony doesn't know that the PSP is hacked wide open, I'm sure they see their PSN sales and realize they're not recouping the cost of running the store.

Since everyone misses the point about why this probably doesn't matter much I'll try again. To use the PSN store on a PSP you have to use no encryption, WEP or WPA1 encryption on your Wi-Fi hotspot. The former 2 are unsecured these days so are a huge security risk (or bandwidth bandit at best) and the latter is outdated (WPA2 exists now). It is unlikely many used this method as result especially as the Media Go and PS3 methods existed (and will still exist).

I'm sure that should bring the affected group out of the woodwork (who don't have a PS3 and don't have access to a Windows PC).

Krejlooc

Banned
Digital is a more permanent back up than physical though. Carts die, discs break, but digital games are capable of indefinite duplication.

The modding, homebrew, emulation communities all exist due to the ability to digitize games rather than depending on physical media. Its not luck at all, its just a product of the inherent superiority of digital as a means of game preservation.

I prefer all digital to digital only because people who want physical should have it, but the fact is tht if all psp games had been digital to begin with then they would be more available and more permanent now than they are on umds.

When people say "digital" they are referring to the specific delivery method being discussed, not the nature of data itself. Obviously data can be reproduced with no cost, this doesnt change regardless of the delivery method, be it a physical cart or a download.

In the context of this discussion, no, sonys digital distribution methods are likely not going to outlast the physical discs. Umds are rated for 50 years, I doubt i'll be able to download a game for my psp from sony's official servers.

But luckily homebrew renders that point null. It remains a problem, however, for systems that cant run reproduced games easily.

Alright guys, can someone help. I have a PSP Go and only ever downloaded one game to it directly from the PSN store using the system. From various posts, I understand that it's best to download to my PC and then transfer, as it'll be much faster. I have an iMac but do have Windows XP on it via Bootcamp. What do I need to get going?

Thanks a lot.

jcm

Not necessarily.

They likely worked out how many people were using their PSPs to download from the store and figured that the amount was not enough to justify the cost of upkeep.

My point is that there's virtually no upkeep. The cost of running the store is next to nothing.

Xenoflare

This makes you think how long would PS3 hold up, and this is also the reason why I'm always not so sure about going all digital, since the license can get revoked at any time, be it the publishers pulling down the games or the service is coming to an end.

Being the pessimist that I am, I think PS3 would probably will get it's plug pulled from PSN at around 2016/17, I really don't want to be right of course. Since I do have a small collection of games that are digital only.

So I can still bought directly from the online store and transfer?

Eh, that's okay, I guess. But it does throttle my appeal of this console digital future. I think I just going to buy the PSP games I've been meaning to buy on physical format and get another PSP to play them again.

Atedos

What the---
Bye-bye sweet collection of games, sorry I have no space on memory card for you all. =((
I guess my much larger collection of PS3 games, which won't fit on any compatible hard drive now, will gone too in a couple of years.
To all those physical releases - no more patches also (even with critical fixes).

Digital future they said...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What the---
Bye-bye sweet collection of games, sorry I have no space on memory card for you all. =((
I guess my much larger collection of PS3 games, which won't fit on any compatible hard drive now, will gone too in a couple of years.
To all those physical releases - no more patches also (even with critical fixes).

Digital future they said...

You can still download them, just not on the PSP.

jcm

As of September 15, 2014, we closed the PlayStation®Store for PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) in European and PAL regions. PSP users will still be able to purchase PSP content from the Sony Entertainment Network Online Store as well as redownload content they purchased in the past from the download list on their PSP systems.”

So I don't understand this. If I buy a new game for my PSP via the web store, will it automatically appear in the download list on my PSP? Because that doesn't sound so bad.

Definitely sucks but luckily all the games I've bought for my PSP are safely at home or the digital versions reside on my PS3 for easy transfer.

I love my Vita but to be honest, I still love the form factor of the PSP Go - which is hands down my favorite iteration of the PSP actually. Even the sheer novelty of being able to play games with a DS3 while the Go was docked was amazing and gave me a taste of how KHBBS would control with a controller.

Fdkn

I don't think they should do this but reading the thread I've got a question:

Does ppl really access the store through the PSP?

I did it once just for curiosity and it sucked lol. everything is faster via webstore

Morat

Banned
The PSP blew my mind when I first got it. I was in Rome, and sadly gameless (no laptop, no consoles). Wipeout pure was amazing

I hope this doesn't affect Xseed's plan to launch Trails in the Sky Second Chapter digitally as a PSP game later this year. I poured 70 hours earlier this year on my Vita to the first PSP title!

balohna

I have Jeanne on my Vita. I transferred from PS3, but it definitely works. I also recall some recent news about it being made available from the Vita store directly.

I'm in NA, btw. Sometimes that matters.

Well, I hardly keep up on when PSP games become available on Vita so it probably is just available now and I didn't know. At one time it wasn't, I remember it coming up when accidentally you could get everything.

Takao

Banned
IGN contacted Sony and it seems the shut down is only in SCEE territories (for now):

Starting September 15, the PlayStation Store will no longer be accessible for PlayStation Portable (PSP) users in several regions, including Europe, Oceania, Asia, and some parts of Africa.

A Sony representative told IGN that PSP users in these regions will still be able to purchase content for the handheld device through the Sony Entertainment Network Online Store, and past purchases can still be re-downloaded from the download list on the systems.

At this time, North American PSP users will still have access to the PlayStation Store as Sony continues to "evaluate market trends" in order to determine what is best for all other regions.

I'm assuming Asia = India and stuff. I haven't seen SCEJA comment on this and given PSP's success over there you'd expect them to.

Probably a dumb question but... will PSP games still be available to purchase on PSN?

For example, I've never had a PSP. At some point I'll get that Vita TV and probably want some of the old PSP games (though not many). At that time, can I still buy them? Or should I buy them now because they'll be gone, and download them to my Vita TV when I get one?

As of September 15, 2014, we closed the PlayStation®Store for PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) in European and PAL regions. PSP users will still be able to purchase PSP content from the Sony Entertainment Network Online Store as well as redownload content they purchased in the past from the download list on their PSP systems.”

So I don't understand this. If I buy a new game for my PSP via the web store, will it automatically appear in the download list on my PSP? Because that doesn't sound so bad.

Yes and No.
It'll be on your download list, but you can't access it on your PSP. The download list will only be accessible via a PC or PS3 (why no PS4?), so you'll need one of those devices to download the game from the list and then transfer it to the PSP.

MUnited83

For you.
Yes and No.
It'll be on your download list, but you can't access it on your PSP. The download list will only be accessible via a PC or PS3 (why no PS4?), so you'll need one of those devices to download the game from the list and then transfer it to the PSP.

"can still be re-downloaded from the download list on the systems"

So you can access it from your PSP.

nded

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to start moving the whole PSP digital library over to Vita/PSTV. But knowing Sony, there's a good chance it never happens.

Takao

Banned
Probably a dumb question but... will PSP games still be available to purchase on PSN?

For example, I've never had a PSP. At some point I'll get that Vita TV and probably want some of the old PSP games (though not many). At that time, can I still buy them? Or should I buy them now because they'll be gone, and download them to my Vita TV when I get one?

PSP games aren't being removed due to this.

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to start moving the whole PSP digital library over to Vita/PSTV. But knowing Sony, there's a good chance it never happens.
I don't think it's up to Sony (unless it's their own games obviously.) It's up to the publishers. I think it's even up to the publishers whether their games are Vita compatible or not.

Tellaerin

IGN contacted Sony and it seems the shut down is only in SCEE territories (for now):

I'm assuming Asia = India and stuff. I haven't seen SCEJA comment on this and given PSP's success over there you'd expect them to.

Thanks for providing an answer on this.

Yoday

Hmm, I wonder if this is a sign of a significant change to the PS Store that the PSP isn't capable of supporting? Since you can still download your games via the download list it doesn't sound like they are taking any servers offline or anything, so this seems like it could be a hardware compatibility issue for future store updates.

After the Playstation Portable has recently received a firmware update to version 6.60 3 years ago, and they just left was allowed to lie since that was announced today that the PlayStation Store will be removed access via the PSP from the September 15, 2014.

is this how sarcasm reads in Japanese?

jcm

Yes and No.

Thanks for the clarification. That's irritating for some owners.

Protag

Banned
Wait hold on, can someone confirm if i'll still be able to DL from the still visible DL list, just not purchase anything further from Psp Psn?

Im a little confused.

Top Bottom