• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q2: 3.3M PS4, 0.8M PS3, 0.7M PSV/TV shipped

Radec

1rcuuq.jpg

255uwd.jpg

3u9ujs.jpg

NateDrake

Wasn't the Wii supply constrained

Even with the supply constraints, I could have sworn the Wii was selling higher monthly figures than the PS4 has been doing in North America and Japan. Launch wise the Wii was limited to low stock, while the PS4 was able to sell lots of units - so maybe that is the defining factor here.

Mory Dunz

700K Vitas shipped. Is that decent?

Wait, was Wii U 610K?

Hm....what?

Wii U was apparently up in Europe by a lot. Maybe Vita is still outselling it there HW even though it's selling a lot less SW. We know Japan. We know NPD.

dat rest of world?

EDIT:
Oh, includes PSP. Still...

700K Vitas shipped. Is that decent?

Wait, was Wii U 610K?

Hm....what?

Wii U was apparently up in Europe by a lot. Maybe Vita is still outselling it there HW even though it's selling a lot less SW. We know Japan. We know NPD.

dat rest of world?

actually, I bet it's the rest of the world outside of US/Japan/Europe

remember, if you were to look at DS vs PSP in the biggest European countries it was as lopsided as the US if not more, it's presumably the smallest ones+extra places where Nintendo has no presence

(also PSP is included...although I wonder how much that is at this point)

edit: PSA that Wii U doubling sales in Europe also doesn't make it good or anything

Tratorn

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

If they can hit 20 million by the end of the year that would be incredible. Wii-like pace.

Yes, that's impossible. :p
Especially without japan. Wii had a too large target audience and had still some supply constraints at this point.
But 18-19m could be possible. Depends on how much they overshipped this quarter.

Mobile looks like a huge anchor.

That's what they get for not letting most people in the US buy their damn phones without switching carriers.

It's looking like the Z3 will be the first Sony phone in, like, ever that's available on multiple networks in the US, and even that's with more than one caveat.

I think they may end up doing better next year in Japan... maybe.. 2015 is going to be absolutely huge.

Early 2015 is incredibly important for the PS4 in Japan. While many games are on the PS4, it's obvious that Sony is going to push all of those games as PS4 first. But that period is absolutely loaded for them

01/22  Lego Marvel Super Heroes
01/22  Far Cry4
01/29  Bladestorm
02/05  Bloodborne
02/05  Dragon Ball XenoVerse
02/19  God Eater 2 Rage Burst
02/19  Dead or Alive 5 LR
02/20  The Order1886
02/26  Dragon Quest Heroes
02/26  The Witcher 3
02/??  Earth Defence Force 4.1
03/12  Yakuza 0 
03/19  Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (+FF15 demo)
03/26  Disgaea5
03/26  Senran Kagura Estival Versus

RE:Revelations 2 and the current gen REmake will also be released in that period.

If Sony ship 18-20 million before 2015, that decision had to have been made prior to launch right? (negotiations with 3rd-party manufacturers)

So while everyone was talking about the death of the console industry this time last year, someone in Sony was signing a deal to manufacture a shit-ton of PS4s!

Early 2015 is incredibly important for the PS4 in Japan. While many games are on the PS4, it's obvious that Sony is going to push all of those games as PS4 first. But that period is absolutely loaded for them

RE:Revelations and the current gen REmake will also be released in that period.

Didn't realize it was that loaded for Japan. Makes me a little more hopeful.

Ty4on

Wasn't the Wii supply constrained

Yup. So constrained there were (and still are) conspiracy theories that it was just too increase the perceived demand.

The PS4 is doing well, especially in PAL, but when comparing supply constrained consoles you can say that the XB1 is outperforming the 360 in the US.

Paertan

Wow. It just keeps going. Glad to see their strategy works.

Would like to see Xbone catch up a bit move over the holidays. Competition is good fo the consumers.

Occam

So since it's 13.5 million shipped 4 weeks ago, I think it's safe to assume that PS4 is above 13 million sold now.

20m by end of 2014 seems impossible.

I'd guess 15-16m.

November and December tend to be huge months for console sells. I'm talking a million each in the US alone for consoles that are selling well. So that alone would get them to 15m, and that would be without taking Europe and Japan into account.

Didn't realize it was that loaded for Japan. Makes me a little more hopeful.

Early 2015 is pretty much what will make or break the PS4 in Japan, bar an unexpected system seller breakout hit like MH PSP and Youkai Watch.

Early 2015's scope of releases are already broad enough that it should appeal to a wider range of gaming audience in Japan, and by that, it should in theory lead to a higher baseline sales.

That's the most important thing for PS4, in that it needs to be a sustainable system that sells healthy weekly.

Caramello

no....? Wasn't it like heavily supply constrained first year and then when they ramped up production they still couldn't manage to sate the hungry hoard?

Yes it was heavily supply constrained, which makes the fact that it hit 20 Million in a year even more impressive. Could have been quite a bit more.

NateDrake

November and December tend to be huge months for console sells. I'm talking a million each in the US alone for consoles that are selling well. So that alone would get them to 15m, and that would be without taking Europe and Japan into account.

Japan's impact will be miniscule. EU/US will be the big movers this holiday. PS4 will easily top 15mill but I think it'll fall short of 20mill.

Really? The PS4 did almost 2 million in the US alone in just Nov+Dec. You think the PS4 is just going to suddenly tank?
Can't really use launch time sales to predict the holiday sales - though it should match them or come close unless MS' price cut and bundles sway consumers this holiday.

Top Bottom