• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY14 Q2: 3.3M PS4, 0.8M PS3, 0.7M PSV/TV shipped

Huge numbers, very impressive by historical standards. Doomsday talk in general should be put out to pasture.

PS4 outpacing the Wii is nuts, especially at a much higher price point.

LOCK

So by the end of the year we could be looking at this:

PS4 - 20mil
XB1 - 12mil
Wii U - 10mil

Gen Total - 42mil

Nice

PS4 - 20mil
XB1 - 12mil
Wii U - 10mil

Gen Total - 42mil

Nice

The X1 isn't getting anywhere near 12 million this year. At best it's done maybe 6 million by now, no way it does 6 million in the next two months. My own prediction is that it'll hit 9-9.5 million by the end of the year.

The PS4 may hit 20 million but I honestly think it's up to supply.

The Wii U, I have no idea. I think 50% marketshare for the PS4 is somewhat possible.

So if the PS4 touches 20mil by the end of the year, will that affect any developer's decision to bring their games to the platform and or develop more for the system only or dedicated a much larger chunk of their resources for the platform?

Bgamer90

Banned

PS4 - 20mil
XB1 - 12mil
Wii U - 10mil

Gen Total - 42mil

Nice

I'm thinking the Xbox One will be at around 9-10 Million by the end of the year. I think the Wii U will be around the same.

LOCK

The X1 isn't getting anywhere near 12 million this year. At best it's done maybe 6 million by now, no way it does 6 million in the next two months. My own prediction is that it'll hit 9-9.5 million by the end of the year.

The PS4 may hit 20 million but I honestly think it's up to supply.

The Wii U, I have no idea.

Well I'm using shipped numbers, I expect Microsoft will try to stuff retail as much as possible. I personally doubt they sell over 10mil by January. I could be wrong but eh.

PS4 - 20mil
XB1 - 12mil
Wii U - 10mil

Gen Total - 42mil

Nice

Are these shipped or sold? Either way, I don't see the Xbone nor Wii U hitting those numbers regardless. PS4 might hit 20 million shipped, but probably not sold.

Well I'm using shipped numbers, I expect Microsoft will try to stuff retail as much as possible. I personally doubt they sell over 10mil by January. I could be wrong but eh.

MS can try stuffing all they want, retailers will only buy what they can sell. They already made that mistake once.

The PS4 will end up being the second most successful console ever...Mark my words!

Doubt it. It won't beat the PS2, but it should beat the PS1. I think it'll land somewhere inbetween, likely much close to PS1 than PS2. The NDS and PS2 will stand tall (if NDS is not counted then yea, totally agree)

NateDrake

The PS4 will end up being the second most successful console ever...Mark my words!

You think the PS4 is going to sell at least 103 million (Ps1 being the 2nd best-selling console at 102mill) units worldwide? I don't see that happening without Japan picking up some of the slack.

Road

Man, those numbers despite an anemic Japan console base; the rest of world just moves on along like it does't matter.

Same point:

Japan
- Wii 3.67 million
- PS4 ~1 million *

Outside Japan
- Wii 9.5 million
- PS4 ~12.5 million *

*PS4 is my generous guess based on sellthrough of 0.8 million in Japan.

LOCK

Are these shipped or sold? Either way, I don't see the Xbone nor Wii U hitting those numbers regardless. PS4 might hit 20 million shipped, but probably not sold.

Shipped.

Last year Nintendo shipped almost 2mil Wii U's in Q3. This year is doing better. I don't see how they can ship less than 3mil Wii U's in Q3 this year.

Sony shipped 4.5 (and sold 4.5) PS4's last Q3. This year at minimum should equal that, giving us a minimum of 18mil shipped by the end of the year.

I think Microsoft will push the XB1 and at least match last years holiday numbers. They are the real unknown in my opinion.

AniHawk

XB1 and Wii U to sell 4-5 million units in 2 months ?

Even the PS4 won't do that.

wii u is at 7.2m right now. if they match what they sold in q3 last year, they'll make it to 9.2m. a suprisingly strong holiday season could see a boost towards 10m (maybe 9.7m).

i mean if the ps4 doubles the wii u's holiday of about 2.5m, it puts the system around 18.5-19m. those numbers are optimistic, but they're not unattainable.

Doubt it. It won't beat the PS2, but it should beat the PS1. I think it'll land somewhere inbetween, likely much close to PS1 than PS2. The NDS and PS2 will stand tall (if NDS is not counted then yea, totally agree)

I should have specified that I was speaking solely of home consoles. We are not disagreeing : It will fall short of the mighty PS2, but I am prepared to bet a kidney that it is going to outsell both the first Playstation and the Wii...

You think the PS4 is going to sell at least 103 million (Ps1 being the 2nd best-selling console at 102mill) units worldwide? I don't see that happening without Japan picking up some of the slack.

The rest of the world will compensate. That's what I envisage happening, methinks...Who knows?

Rixa

For anyone wondering about the large mobile loss, it's due to a massive write down on the value of their mobile unit.
Yeah and their Q2 mobile sales (units) are not so bad comparing last years numbers.

Waiting Zomgbbqftw to tell people that dont know about this :).

I can see it happening. It’s doing as well as it is right now at a $400 pricepoint and without a whole lot of compelling software. I can see sales really exploding when it hits $299 and the software big-hitters start flowing.

I should have specified that I was speaking solely of home consoles. We are not disagreeing : It will fall short of the mighty PS2, but I am prepared to bet a kidney that it is going to outsell both the first Playstation and the Wii...

The rest of the world will compensate. That's what I envisage happening, methinks...Who knows?

I wonder if I win that kidney that I'll sell it and buy a PS4 to give as a gift...

But with all the positive response bring relieved for the PS4 even I believe that PS4 just might become the best console in history.

Faustek

Asia, the true saviours of Vita.

add the PAL areas to that.

To tired to count but the firs 12 weeks of 14 Sony had Sold 190366 Vitas according to Media Create and 34675 PSPs where US and Europe didn't really get any PSPs but US sales of Vita was at 89k(NPD) and this being Japan and not really overstocked anywhere and having shipped .75 PSV/P we could conclude that Pal and Emerging market regions had stood for the bulk of the shipment(471000)

Anyone feel free to use my latest post and do a recount since I need to sleep.

Ughh trying to figure out PS3 WW but it doesn't seems possible. What we know:

nvm that doesn't sound right, lets try again:

[*]2.7M PS3 shipped between Jan 1, 2014 - Sept 30, 2014
[*]80M PS3 shipped as of November 2, 2013

PS3 no less than 82.7M WW, probably ~85M if I were to guess.

So maybe 90 million end of next year? Damn and the system is now finally around Wii's launch price after 8 years in NA! lol

The PS4 doesn't have the massive obstacle of the $600 price tag looming over it either this generation.

Toki767

I'm thinking quite a lot more than that. Millions more.
Hmm well if they're estimating 17 million shipped by the end of the year, I don't know if millions more is really a reality. They're probably above 12 million sold currently. 3 million for the next 2 months is a pretty safe bet.

20m by end of 2014 seems impossible.

I'd guess 15-16m.

These numbers are for until September 30th. We are already almost 15 million shipped now is October was a regular month and it is not even November yet. Last year was 4.5 million for November and December. That puts us at over 19 million if it ONLY does the same as first heavily supply constrained launch.

Hmm well if they're estimating 17 million shipped by the end of the year, I don't know if millions more is really a reality. They're probably above 12 million sold currently. 3 million for the next 2 months is a pretty safe bet.

They could be lowballing it like they've done in the past

NateDrake

These numbers are for until September 30th. We are already almost 15 million shipped now is October was a regular month and it is not even November yet. Last year was 4.5 million for November and December. That puts us at over 19 million if it ONLY does the same as first heavily supply constrained launch.

Depends what that poster was referencing - shipped or sold to consumer. 20mill sold to consumer is highly unlikely. 19-20million shipped is within the realm of possibility.

Shipped.

Last year Nintendo shipped almost 2mil Wii U's in Q3. This year is doing better. I don't see how they can ship less than 3mil Wii U's in Q3 this year.

Sony shipped 4.5 (and sold 4.5) PS4's last Q3. This year at minimum should equal that, giving us a minimum of 18mil shipped by the end of the year.

I think Microsoft will push the XB1 and at least match last years holiday numbers. They are the real unknown in my opinion.

So if Anihawk's numbers are correct, the Wii U would have to ship about 2.8 million. I mean it's possible, but that doesn't make it likely. But with Smash coming who knows?

Like I said, 20 million for PS4 seems doable, but I wouldn't be surprised if they fell just short of it. It will at the very least hit 17-18 mil.

Xbox One... what are it's shipped numbers so far? ~7.5 million? I forget, not sure if that was ever deciphered since they combined it with 360 figures. But yeah, I guess this one is possible as well, but like you said, it's sort of a wildcard here.

Biker19

Banned
Sony is definitely in beast mode. :)

Early 2015 is incredibly important for the PS4 in Japan. While many games are on the PS4, it's obvious that Sony is going to push all of those games as PS4 first. But that period is absolutely loaded for them.

And thank heavens for that. PS4 could definitely use more Japanese 3rd party titles as well as Bloodborne being there.

onQ123

20m by end of 2014 seems impossible.

I'd guess 15-16m.

You guess wrong. if they shipped 3.3 million this quarter & 2.7 million the quarter before that what make you think that they will only ship between 1.5 & 2.5 million in the quarter with the holiday shopping season?

There is no way that you really think that's the case.

chances are over 14 million has been shipped as of now.

Kensuke

Well, the market conditions are not the same as last year. Last year Sony was up against a much maligned $500 XB1 and a weak Wii U. Now they're up against a $350 XB1 with bundled game and a much stronger Wii U. The competition is sure to steal some sales. I'm sure PS4 sales will still be spectacular though.

We are talking shipped. Microsoft shipped 3 million in the same period last year, so 4 million is very likely.

Maybex but I personally don't see it. They may do better than last in NA but I think that will be offset by worse performance WW than last year, especially with the PS4 dominating.

Well, the market conditions are not the same as last year. Last year Sony was up against a much maligned $500 XB1 and a weak Wii U. Now they're up against a $350 XB1 with bundled game and a much stronger Wii U. The competition is sure to steal some sales. I'm sure PS4 sales will still be spectacular though.

Again, shipped. The decision on how many to make and ship for this quarter has already been made. If they think they can sell that many then they will ship that with extra. Will people buy them? Most of them, I am guessing, but Sony and Microsoft will ship as much as possible.

Biker19

Banned

PS4 - 20mil
XB1 - 12mil
Wii U - 10mil

Gen Total - 42mil

Nice

If you're talking about consoles being sold & not shipped, there's no way that either Wii U or Xbox One will reach those numbers by the end of this year, with the way that they're currently selling worldwide.

Even PS4 reaching 20 million by the end of this year is doubtful. Not even the PS2 itself reached that many units worldwide after it's 1st year.

Top Bottom