• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony in big trouble with PS Vita, Portable market in perm decline, rotting - Forbes

iceatcs

Yes. I'm sure a rough looking game is going to look better on a OLED relative to a TFT screen but you're missing my point. Launch games are meant to WOW and demonstrate a leap in graphics etc... Not look better purely by having a better screen.
Maybe it has. I havent see any non-vita portable games look more complex graphics than Vita games. But HD and PC gaming spoil me because all portable games look shit in whole standard.

P90

Sony claims that they are currently breaking even with Vita or even selling it at a small profit. Considering the state of the market, I don't think they can afford to be cavalier with their pricing. Nintendo has admitted they are now taking a loss on the 3DS. Sony will have to follow suit if they want to survive in the handheld market.

Bold is my change. Add in the major tablet price cuts, notably the rumored $299 iPad 2, and you have the Vita in deep, deep water without a significant price cut of its own.

patsu

Yes. I'm sure a rough looking game is going to look better on a OLED relative to a TFT screen but you're missing my point. Launch games are meant to WOW and demonstrate a leap in graphics etc... Not look better purely by having a better screen.

Given a chance, every game will want to wow people and demonstrate a leap in graphics.

Launch games are tight in schedule, and will be surpassed by the next iteration. The raw hardware should be able to show the leap relatively easily. Even if they play the same PSP games, Vita version should be noticeably superior.

Besides dual sticks and OLED screen, Vita's PSN features are much more fleshed out, better than PS3 even. Web browser is also better than the PSP and PS3 ones.

Vita's challenge is not performance. It needs to stand out from iOS/Android, not PSP.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yes. I'm sure a rough looking game is going to look better on a OLED relative to a TFT screen

It's not so much about OLED vs TFT, it's about the resolution:screensize ratio you're looking at those games in. The IQ issues that tarnish screenshots in that thread are literally minified in the context you'll actually play the games in, letting the 'wow' shine through better.

By most (first hand) accounts the wow, that leap, does appear to be there, relative to the previous state of the art in handheld gaming. How the games look outside of first hand viewing is irrelevant to that.

goonergaz

Is he not simply saying that the screen-shots don't do it justice - you need to see it in the flesh?

Bit like photos of anything really, nothing compares to seeing something in the flesh.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Is he not simply saying that the screen-shots don't do it justice - you need to see it in the flesh?

Bit like photos of anything really, nothing compares to seeing something in the flesh.

How are you doing mate. Hope Xmas was good to you.

Are you getting a Vita? Have you pre-ordered?

Obviously, the important is not what the player see when he's playing.

If the images captured by the console, compressed in jpg and viewed in a 20'' TFT monitor don't look great enought, the graphics of the console are bad.

goonergaz

How are you doing mate. Hope Xmas was good to you.

Are you getting a Vita? Have you pre-ordered?

lol, I didn't even look who I was replying too :D

Yeah was good, you?

Pre-ordered from game but on the fence TBH...but then I know I'll love a hand-held version of uncharted and have half the money in vouchers saved up anyway so will probably get it (you know how I am with my expensive kit lol)

Curufinwe

Yes. It is, $250 is bad for dedicated handheld devices right now. I really dont know how much more obvious this can get.

If they can't sell it for $250 at launch in the US then Sony may as well not sell it at all here. That $250 translates into a very meager return for Sony when converted to Yen. People don't realize just how weak the American dollar is right now.

I think this is a close as a launch game will get to having graphics that wow people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF99XwExxZA

border

hang on, you're contradicting yourself.

First you say the iphone 4 was the most popular, so developers won't abandon that audience. Therefore setting the common denominator to iphone 4 level hardware.

But thats irrelevant if developers are looking at maximising addressable market, they'll still be making games that run on iphone 4/5.

My comments were originally in response to someone who said that iPhone gaming was useless on models older than 2 years. The idea that developers would abandon that platform so quickly is definitely silly.

6 years from now, the iPhone 4 will be 8 years old. It will not represent the majority of the market. Developers will not be making games for the most recent bleeding edge handset, but they will not be trying to ensure compatibility with products that are over half a decade old.

LuchaShaq

Banned
For me it comes down to that I'll take C-D level games on my phone so I don't have to carry anything else over the B level games on vita/3ds that 90%+ of the time just make me wish I was playing a similar/same game at home on my pc/console.

That said if I change lifestyle and frequently flew, or took a bus 45 min each way every day etc a portable would be much more desirable.

Now with the insane memory card prices and such I'll just wait for 2 years and buy a 50-70$ bundle off craigslist like I did with the DS and PSP and play the 4-5 games I actually regret missing.

If the current vita hardware also doubled as a phone (no not the underpowered experia and it's AWFUL touch analog stick abominations) I'd pay a stupid high price for it.

£230 - Wifi Model
£18 - 4Gb memory card
£30 - Game.

That's £278 or $435 in the UK. Fuck that. It needs to be £200 with a memory card at the most.
The taxes are high in the UK which are figured in the pricetag. Keep in mind that US prices don't add in sales tax of each state (for those who buy in-store or online on certain sites).
Jesus, it's non stop negativity against the Vita lately.

It's annoying.

Top Bottom