• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony killed Lik-Sang :(

Wollan said:
I ordered a PSP from them in the same month as it launched in Japan. They lowered the price a week after my purchase. I just sent a mail and they paid me back the difference from the price cut even though I didn't technically have any rights for that.

R.I.P Lik-Sang.
In Canada any item purchased at regular price is guarenteed a refund of the difference is the purchased product given a lower price within 30 days of purchase, but still, it was a good thing for them to do. Some places like to make it difficult.

:lol @ the posters saying "meh, I import from ***** anyways". If you can't see how sony snuffing out importers through class action is likely to affect the business of your particular importer, well then....

yuppie4xx.png

To: Sony Computer Entertainment Europe

Re: Concerning the recent closure of Lik-Sang and the part you played in it.

To Whom It May Concern:

SCREW YOU

Yours Sincerely,
The Gaming World

MrDaravon

Wow, that is seriously horrible. I didn't care for them much myself, but that's pretty messed up.

Serious question: does Sony have actual legitimate law to back them up on this? No one seems to have given a clear answer either way. Not that it'd be any less screwed up if they do, but if lik-sang was technically breaking the law...

Saoh

meppi said:
Couldn't have said it any better.

Even though I detest piracy.
On days like these it seems to be our last option to fight back and hit them where it hurts. :(

And this coming from someone who just ordered 5 Neo games and still buys famicom games etc... damn

Sony followers are too dumb to realize all that. people like to get screwed.

Mallika

:( That's awful. Like others, I'm hoping that Lik-Sang pops up in another form/name after everything settles, but damn this bites. I've ordered stuff from LS from time to time and this news just sucks like a ****ing Hoover on high.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm wating for the Sony press-release about how they are protecting us from danger, how we enjoy waiting and to import would deny us the pleasure of that.

**** em.

SailorDaravon said:
Wow, that is seriously horrible. I didn't care for them much myself, but that's pretty messed up.

Serious question: does Sony have actual legitimate law to back them up on this? No one seems to have given a clear answer either way. Not that it'd be any less screwed up if they do, but if lik-sang was technically breaking the law...
i asked for a clear answer on this too... but you have to realise that exporting is tricky business.

if it doesn't break a law in the country that's doing the exporting but it is in the country that it's going into... well then you're in a very grey area.

i would like to know which countries laws, and which laws, lik-sang were supposedly breaking.

SpokkX

bhytre said:
is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty".

also confirmation that Ps1/Ps2 games are not region free on Ps3 :(

This sucks, I was going to buy one of those SmartJoy adapters. I don't think anyone else sells them. I still had Payback Points, Sony, I still had Payback Points!

Lo-Volt

What the ****! :( Probably the single dirtiest move in this industry so far this generation, and I always thought Microsoft would be the one to get that honor. Which is why Sony doesn't get my dollars anymore. Offensive.

plagiarize said:
i asked for a clear answer on this too... but you have to realise that exporting is tricky business.

if it doesn't break a law in the country that's doing the exporting but it is in the country that it's going into... well then you're in a very grey area.

i would like to know which countries laws, and which laws, lik-sang were supposedly breaking.

It's the UK that Sony were suing in, I'm reading through press releases to find specifics.

So far...
Hong Kong's laws are clear when it comes to parallel trade, and the company has no ties whatsoever with the UK. While Lik-Sang vigorously contested the UK's jurisdiction over the allegations, the judge apparently found that UK law should also apply to Hong Kong exporters. Sony has also threatened Lik Sang recently to initiate yet another lawsuit to prevent the sales of PlayStation 3 consoles to Europe.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
RavenFox said:
The thread or the bussiness world? Welcome to protecting your products. Lik Sang sure will be missed though.

Exactly how did Sony protect their products here? I can hardly see any good thing coming out of this for Sony, only downsides.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
up yours sony, if your mini disc players and bundled shitware hadn't already convinced me to never buy another sony product, this bullshit has.

up yours sony, I will never buy your shit.

-pal gamer

ziran

why does sony care?

sony is still selling units and making profit from every lik-sang sale, so why they would take someone to court over this? it's not like they were selling rip offs.

i mean this is an online retailer, mainly used by the hardcore, so it's not like the customers don't know what their getting into and lik-sang provides the psu you need, so the 'wanting to protect consumers' bit is bullshit.

what's the real reason?

so each local office make its share?

or is there something else?

meppi said:
What the flying ****!!! This is the last straw I swear.
I haven't ordered anything from them in the past, but that's besides the point.

Between all 3 Sony systems I have close to 500 games, well here is where I draw the line.
**** sony. Never again. I'd rather find another hobby then give them one more cent.

Holy ****. damn scumbags. :mad:

hahaha :lol give me a ****ing break, man...

Mallika

JonathanEx said:
Sony has also threatened Lik Sang recently to initiate yet another lawsuit to prevent the sales of PlayStation 3 consoles to Europe.
I wonder if this will affect Play-Asia and other places that are doing PS3 orders.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
plagiarize said:

It doesn't actually matter, because the point Lik-Sang made is that going to court is an expensive business and Sony's (and any other large corporation) tactic is to outspend the opponent into submission :/

I don't think it's going to be the end of Lik-Sang though. Remember Nintendo pressuring them into stopping selling flash cartridges and modchips? They did, but I highly suspect that the linker4u.com site which appeared a few months afterwards is just Lik-Sang under a different name :p

SantaC

jarosh said:
where do i get my wii from now. what do i do. *starts breathing really fast*
what... should... i... do... PANIC OMG

at this point you probably want to try DVDboxoffice or something. Getting a launch Wii doesn't sound plausible though. Sorry :(

scarybore

Shawn128 said:
Man I wish there was something we could do :(

No one buy a PS3 for 4 years and then only buy second hand games, that will scare the shit out of them!

We need contact info for this Judge, I need to write a strongly worded letter voicing my disapproval.

Zerodoppler said:
QFT

Too much bashing in here. :/

Over shutting down the ability for gamers to play games? And we're on a videogame message board?

I think, all things concerned, the bashing here is legitimate, and then some.

Saoh

Lik-Sang said:
Important Notice: Lik-Sang.com Out of Business due to Multiple Sony Lawsuits
Tue Oct 24 2006 21:58:51 Hong Kong Time - Corporate Info

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - OUT OF BUSINESS NOTICE

Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit. It’s the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

Official LS word. Read All.

Avalon

I bought a UBS PS2 controller adapter from Lik-Sang... Took forever to arrive, but it's the best one I've ever owned.

=[

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
RavenFox said:
The thread or the bussiness world? Welcome to protecting your products. Lik Sang sure will be missed though.
What? Importers typically double dip (as others have already said). This isn't product protection...This is known as shooting yourself in the foot.

Makes my waiting 3(ish) years to purchase a PS3 that much easier.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I see Sony learned something from MS... sue your opponents in to submission!

Unison

jarosh said:
i ordered tons of stuff from liksang. psp, ds lite, gb micro, 2 ds phats, a LOT of software etc. and now... my wii pre-order?

where do i get my wii from now. what do i do. *starts breathing really fast*
what... should... i... do... PANIC OMG

I guess you'll have to get a PS3 now. :lol

Top Bottom