• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to release a new ps4 controller

oni-link

Poor build quality, problems with the sticks rubbing off, and the terrible battery life, I agree.

Just you never seem to see any major changes to a controller after the console's launch to my recollection at least. Hopefully this changes

It wouldn't need to be a huge change, just use better parts and turn the light off, it could look exactly the same

I might be wrong but didn't the PS3 launch with the Sixaxis and then drop that for the DS3?

Gbraga

it's actually really cool in GTA. seeing those red and blue lights bouncing off your walls while being chased by police is neat

I disagree. But hey, it's not like I'm asking them to remove it completely, just give me the option to turn it off.

EDIT: Oh god, I didn't even remember the sound effects. I'm glad I game with headphones (those Pulse thingies are so good), I hate that without even trying. >_>

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Personally I have never had any issues with the battery. My sessions are rarely over 5 hours and I charge over night. If I do get to binge for longer than 5 hours then I can always just plug it in via USB. I would rather have this than batteries.

There was definitely an issue with the analogue stick wear though. Luckily I just got a one of my launch controllers fully replaced by Sony on the warranty free of charge, they handled that process pretty well.

joecanada

Poor solutions

how is this a poor solution, of course you need two if you do long gaming sessions, its been that way ever since wireless controllers were invented.

the DS4 has a shorter battery life for sure and it can be annoying, but so do cell phones. mine doesn't even last a day if I use it for videos and such...

If any of you have bought Logitech PC accessories in the last year they usually include a USB extension cord and I use that with the MicroUSB cord provided to just charge it while I play. Should be long enough to reach to you :)

nictron

Never owned a Game Gear? ;)

Sing it on top of the mountain. My parents got pissed at the six AA batteries it was eating every other day. They bought me this massive bastard and it didn't fare much better.

320px-GG_Rechargeable_Battery_Pack.jpg

We are spoiled.

Facism

i would have preferred batteries to an inbuilt power-source. I used to have a rotation of 8 rechargeable batteries back when i had a 360. Those saw me through months at a time.

I got 4 hours on a full charge myself but after the light bar dim update came out, I can get close to 5 hours. It's pretty bad. They should pack in a longer charge cable or something. Or give us the ability to turn off the light bar completely.

Gestault

Even with rumble disabled, I've been surprised at how limited the battery is. I don't tend to have long play-sessions, but more than once, I've needed to plug in what had been a fully-charged controller to continue. It's more strange than anything else.

SerTapTap

Charge whilst playing? Own two, charge one whilst playing?

It's what I do.

Yeah that's what I do, never have it affect me too much. Lasts about 8 hours, almost never play that much in one day. Gamepad is a far worse offender.

I do hope a revision has a better battery and such though. Also, wireless charging please. It is the 2000s, I want to set my crap with batteries on a sleek mat and have them all charged when I wake up. So far only my phone can do this.

Kilau

The battery life is really bad compared to the DS3, I want to upgrade the batteries in the ones I have.

Neiteio

WiiU Pro Controller lasts 80 hours on a single charge. Is the PS4 controller doing something extra that consumes a lot of power? Is it that colored light built into the controller? (I don't have a PS4 yet, waiting for games I like and hopefully a revised build)

Mine lasts at least 6 hours. Not great, but long enough for even my longest PS4 sessions.
I was able to play all the way through Oneechanbara Z2 without charging.
I always habitually charge my controllers when not using it, so I've never been impacted by battery issues.

i would have preferred batteries to an inbuilt power-source. I used to have a rotation of 8 rechargeable batteries back when i had a 360. Those saw me through months at a time.

Nah. I used my 360 controller again recently and the space for for the battery pack at the back of the controller is an annoyance compared to the DS4. At least the controller is super comfortable.

There are some drawbacks to the DS4, I've had 2 replaced by Sony due to peeling thumbsticks, but I still think they are superb controllers.

Neiteio

They need to include the option to turn the stupid light bar off.
I thought they added that option in a patch? The ones I've seen in person were distracting with that light shining off the screen, but I'm nearly positive they added an option to turn that off.

Yeah, they need to fix the sticks too. Mine was good for about six months but now it's starting to peel away and I use my stuff very gently.

I thought they added that option in a patch? The ones I've seen in person were distracting with that light shining off the screen, but I'm nearly positive they added an option to turn that off.

Not off, but you can dim it really low.

JJD

My only issue with the dualshock 4 is the shitty rubber on the thumbsticks launch controllers.

After 6 months of heavy use mine started to peel off, so I bought two pairs of covers and resolved the issue. Hopefully they have sorted that out so new buyers won't have the same issues.

As far as battery goes, how long do you guys go without charging the controllers? I have played for 6, 7 straight hours (yesterday I played Dragon Age for at least 5 hours) and still have at least 1 or 2 bars of energy left on the controller.

I know the dualshock 3 lasted longer but I don't think something like 8 hours of continued use before the battery runs out is that bad.

That being said I have the official charging station so my controllers are always charged. Battery longevity was never really an issue for me. I guess if I didn't have one I would probably forget to charge the controller after use every now and then.

Edit: I use rumble, but I put the lights on dim as soon as that setting was made available.

Battery life isn't really bad but the quality of the battery is.
Every charge seems like it gets less and less, my original DS4 can charge for hours but only has a 15minute charge.

I really don't understand this, every time its come up i'm a bit baffled. I play for fairly lengthy amounts of time and not once have ever had to plug my controller in or take a break to let it charge. I'm just sure to always leave my controller plugged in in between gaming sessions.

The battery life could of course be better, but it is adequate.

I have two DS4s and a charging dock, so battery is not an issue for me. I also use thumbstick covers so that's not an issue for me either.

My big issue with the controller is the small, fickle triggers.

This. Any game where I have to hold down the triggers for a lengthy period of time (ie racing) make my hands cramp.

jacobeid

Banned
I have more of an issue with the form factor than I do the battery life. I bought a 10ft micro-USB last year to use my DS4 with the PS3 and that's good enough to deal with the battery life.

I'm using playbudz but it's still not great.

Nephtes

I think we can all agree, it's time for a Joule Shock 4 ... ... ...

Yes I made that joke. No I'm not proud of it...

yes I am... :C

shandy706

how is this a poor solution, of course you need two if you do long gaming sessions, its been that way ever since wireless controllers were invented.

I've not needed two wireless controllers on competing hardware (unless we're doing multiplayer) since at least 2005. A pack of high quality rechargeables and a $10-$15 charger allows you to make a 15 second switch. I'd prefer that OPTION on every controller.

I require both PC and Console controllers be wireless in my setup. I sit 12-15' from my TV and have kids. I'm not grabbing an extension cord and roping it across the room just to play a game for the afternoon....and no one should HAVE to. You should never have to buy 2 controllers to play for extended periods.

I've not worried about tethering a "wireless" controller in 9 years.

I really don't understand this, every time its come up i'm a bit baffled. I play for fairly lengthy amounts of time and not once have ever had to plug my controller in or take a break to let it charge. I'm just sure to always leave my controller plugged in in between gaming sessions.

The battery life could of course be better, but it is adequate.

Keep your fingers crossed, when I first got mine a full charge was like 10 hours.
My first controller is down to 15minutes and my 2nd is maybe 3 hours now.

Shengar

It blows my mind how quickly the battery runs out, especially compared to the Wii U Pro controller. It can't just be the blue light that's doing it right?

Man, don't bring Wii U Pro Controller to the comparison. It's just like comparing Nokia 3310 battery life to modern smartphone battery, it ain't fair :p

The only problem with the controller is the battery life.

Other than that, it is a far better controller than the hot garbage they've been releasing for 20 years.

This gen is the best of all-time when it comes to controllers. The DS4, X1 controller, Wii U Pro, Wii U Gamepad, are all fucking amazing.

I got 7 hours playing Far Cry 4 yesterday and haven't even gotten to the point where my PS4 says that the level is low and I should charge it. Do I wish the battery life was longer? Of course. But I can get enough out of my controllers that I can play all day without having to charge it mid session. That works for the way I game.

i have a charger stand for mine so its never been a problem, 1 bad is always fully charged or both are when i go back to play after a few hours.

LAM09

I've managed to get 9+ hours from fully charged to empty, but that is by playing games that don't use the built in speaker or vibration.

Having said that, it's far from acceptable IMO. I'm surprised no one has released bigger capacity batteries that actually work.

Top Bottom