• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony NGP game screenshots (Uncharted, Wipeout 2048 & more) [Update 2: Uncharted Gifs]

galian beast said:
I think SCE Japan's efforts have been absolute garbage on the PS3 this generation. But you never know who is actually working on what games, I'm not sure there is much cross over.

Sony Japan has largely been focused on the PSP throughout this generation. Yoshida even admitted that.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
outunderthestars said:
They tried marketing the PSP as a do everything device and failed miserably. That said, I fully expect a Netflix announcement at E3.

That said, I think Sony should have their marketing laser focused at the core gamer.
Lets be fair, PSP didnt fail because of marketing.

70 million units is hardly failing, but I could name three things that contributed to PSP's decline in sales.

-Piracy
-One non-analog stick
-NDS competition

Pistolero said:
Expecting anything less than a 299$ price is delusional, I think...
I agree.

KingDizzi said:
I'm there day one no matter what the price because I'm just paying for myself, no family, bills or anything like that to worry about. Would love it to release at the same price as 3DS but cannot see that happening seeing, $300 and still I'll be very surprised. If it's anywhere near the $250 price point this thing is gonna sell well, no doubt about it. It's all about the price.

I'm in the same boat.

I think where you make your money though is the families who are going to buy 2-3 for their kids...

I think that was what made the gameboy so appealing. Everyone in the family could have their own. Had sony done a better job marketing the PSP I think we would be entering that phase where you put out the PSP for sub 99 dollars and people are just buying it because they can. Maybe that will still happen, I doubt it though. I would like to see how well it would sell at 60-70 dollars if it is still supported at that price range.

SolidSnakex said:
Sony Japan has largely been focused on the PSP throughout this generation. Yoshida even admitted that.

Do you have a quote, I would really be interesting in hearing what he said, because I've been wondering about this for a while.

Takao

Banned
Bad_Boy said:
Lets be fair, PSP didnt fail because of marketing.

70 million units is hardly failing, but I could name three things that contributed to PSP's decline in sales.

-Piracy
-One non-analog stick
-NDS competition

This was really one of the biggest:

270112_f520.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
-sony struggled to identify what types of games the system should get early in its lifespan
-confused marketing or awful marketing
-hardware not well designed for 3d games

playing most psp games was a tortured experience. vita looks bigger, roomier, and robust. it looks to correct every problem with psp from a hardware point of view. i'm very excited.

Y2Kev said:
-sony struggled to identify what types of games the system should get early in its lifespan

playing most psp games was a tortured experience. vita looks bigger, roomier, and robust. it looks to correct every problem with psp from a hardware point of view. i'm very excited.

Actually I think one problem with the PSP that was made worse with the NGP is the size. its too big.

outunderthestars said:
Funny, I really like the larger size. It's going to live in my Ipad/Kindle bag when I travel.

I don't think its too cumbersome for long trips, but for daily travel I think a lot of adults won't want to carry it and a lot of kids won't want it either.

Pocket sized is really key to a lot of people I think.

galian beast said:
I don't think its too cumbersome for long trips, but for daily travel I think a lot of adults won't want to carry it and a lot of kids won't want it either.

I don't think any portable systems these days are designed for daily use while out and about. Smartphone gaming has taken over that niche. That is also why neither system is really pocketable.

If I have five-ten minutes I am going to play on my phone. If I have 1-2 hours I am going to play on NGP.

galian beast said:

What kids, or at least the market the NGP is targeting, guess teens based on the launch titles shown, dont carry at least a backpack, or have deep pockets these days (well unless the style is collapsing)? Though again, from the interview, I think Mr Yoshida mentioned that people wouldnt mind putting it in a bag.

I really hope that Sony isn't planning on pushing a "transfarring" idea unless they're also planning on including download codes in the PS3 version for a PSP2 copy (which is possible since every PSP2 game will be on PSN). It's an appealing idea, but it's not appealing enough to pay at least $100 every time you want to do it.

I'm not saying its too big for me, just saying that most people looking for a handheld, pocket station aren't going to appreciate the size, regardless of whether the screen is beautiful.

People said the PSP was too big and this is bigger...

I like the idea of a huge (well handheld huge) screen.....itll be nice if I can play most video formats on it right out the gate. (even native .avi id be really happy with)

galian beast said:

I don't really think size matter that much .
Everyone i know that going to get one has a bag they carry around .
People carry around all sort of stuff these days.

galian beast said:

They will if they have use for it aka compelling software. Handhelds dont need to fit into a pocket. Hell, many handheld devices never did on their first iteration. All they need to do is fit comfortably within your hands.

Dedication Through Light said:
What kids, or at least the market the NGP is targeting, guess teens based on the launch titles shown, dont carry at least a backpack, or have deep pockets these days (well unless the style is collapsing)? Though again, from the interview, I think Mr Yoshida mentioned that people wouldnt mind putting it in a bag.
It's not targeted at kids or teens, it's targeted at adults (the majority of gamers). And I don't carry a backpack everywhere I go. Nor would I want t stick that in my pants pocket.

Mrbob

LiquidMetal14 said:
People talk large but the damn thing isn't that big lol

The screen is gorgeous.

Yeah I'm not a fan of making the device any more portable than it currently is. Give me that giant screen.

pharmboy044 said:
I doubt you'll see any RPG's tomorrow. I think those announcements will be held back for TGS.

Unless Bethesda has revived this on Vita with some type of connectivity to Skyrim.

Though I don't think Bethesda was in the list of developers :/

M3d10n

galian beast said:
If the system weren't in 3D and it was just the DS2 with better graphics I think people would buy it for 200... how much was the last expensive DS system? Wasn't it like 175? I believe it sold... and it wasn't nearly as much of an upgrade.
The XL was $189. Horrendously expensive, but it sold very well even before the recent price drop. Last NPD estimates were 50/50 between the DSi XL and the cheaper DSi.

While the 3DS lineup is very weak, I think that breaking the $199 barrier at launch was the biggest flaw. At $199 it could have had a bigger chance at actually replacing new DSi purchases, like the XL did. But Nintendo got greedy and priced it much higher, both to increase their margins on the 3DS and keep the (highly profitable) DSi units selling.

BTW, maybe GAF should try to lay low on the NGP hyping, to prevent Sony from getting any weird "E3 tax" ideas like Nintendo did.

galian beast said:
I think SCE Japan's efforts have been absolute garbage on the PS3 this generation. But you never know who is actually working on what games, I'm not sure there is much cross over.
I have to disagree, Eye of Judgement seemed novel and interesting, Siren BC had a good response from fans, Tokyo Jungle looks AWESOME, everyone and their mother is hyped for The Last Guardian, etc. I think Japan Studio's PS3 output overall iw very much on par with the effort they put into PSP.

the days of pocket-able portable gaming devices (which don't exist anymore, they're multimedia devices now) is pretty much over.

as explained above, cell phones took over the pocketable realm. if people are okay with lugging around a laptop or a tablet, then they'll be okay with bringing their bulky (IMO) 3DS or NGP.

in fact, an NGP would be smaller than the tablet alternatives a lot of people are looking for, so the more features they can pack on with it's supposed app support the better. let's see some hulu, netflix, competent web browser, and some useful apps like amazon, gamefly, google reader, etc. i would be able to do all of my connected tasks on the go regardless of how much free time i have, and i wouldn't have to deal with bulk or skimpy features.

KingDizzi

Banned
I think the DS/3DS/PSP etc are too big for the outside, besides a few very young kids with parents I NEVER see people outdoors with handhelds. I'm in London and take the bus, train and walk to uni but in all my time I've yet to see people walking around outside playing with a handheld. So I don't think size is a problem, the 3DS has a clamp shell design but would never put those in my trousers and walk around the streets. Got an iPhone for outdoors, play angry birds and tiny wings to waste time on the bus and that's it.

lunchwithyuzo said:
I have to disagree, Eye of Judgement seemed novel and interesting, Siren BC had a good response from fans, Tokyo Jungle looks AWESOME, everyone and their mother is hyped for The Last Guardian, etc. I think Japan Studio's PS3 output overall iw very much on par with the effort they put into PSP.

Sony Japan tends to be the most original division of Sony because of their Playstation C.A.M.P/Net Yarouze projects. A lot of the games that people love from them (going all the way back to the PSone) came from those.

Bad_Boy said:

-Piracy
I would argue piracy actually helped hardware sales moreso. Both via PSP games and emulation of other systems. Piracy can often help push hardware, especially in a case like PSP where hobbyist emulators for the system aren't really in a very playable / high compatibility state.

SolidSnakex said:
Sony Japan tends to be the most original division of Sony because of their Playstation C.A.M.P/Net Yarouze projects. A lot of the games that people love from them (going all the way back to the PSone) came from those.

i agree.

it seems like sony gives them a lot more leash than their western studios. i would say that they should treat other studios the same but then again they have to be strict with some studios in order to afford to take risks with others.

dammit.... now im excited for TGS...

SolidSnakex said:
Yeah, I agree with that. My favorite PlayStation puzzler ever started out that way (Devil Dice). Tokyo Jungle's in that category too I think.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Yeah, I agree with that. My favorite PlayStation puzzler ever started out that way (Devil Dice). Tokyo Jungle's in that category too I think.

Devil Dice was so good. Same for IQ.

Ape Escape is another game that wouldn't have been created without that program. The creator of that actually got his job at Sony through the Net Yarouze program. He's now working on Q Games.

Jeels said:
I do most of my portable gaming at home. When it's not, it's at school. I have a backpack. The size is great.
Yeah, the size argument is not practical in the west. Not enough people actually out and about with the thing.

yencid

i really hope that we start seeing PSN games for the NGP. So for example a developer announces that they are making a game for PSN and then announce its for both PS3 & NGP.

M3d10n

lunchwithyuzo said:
I would argue piracy actually helped hardware sales moreso. Both via PSP games and emulation of other systems. Piracy can often help push hardware, especially in a case like PSP where hobbyist emulators for the system aren't really in a very playable / high compatibility state.
I know people like to deny it, but it's plain as day in Sony's own reports that there's a significant disconnect between hardware sales and software sales on the PSP when compared to PS2 and PS3 numbers.

yencid said:
i really hope that we start seeing PSN games for the NGP. So for example a developer announces that they are making a game for PSN and then announce its for both PS3 & NGP.

I want Journey so damn bad on this thing.....

yurinka

lunchwithyuzo said:
GBA sold it's ~80m in about 4 years, PSP's going to be around ~70m after almost 7 years. GBA was a monster hardware success, it was regularly outselling even PS2 in it's day, but Nintendo cut the platform's life short and then forcefully put it down in favor of DS.

I am kinda curious what lifetime GBA versus PSP software sales look like though, since neither really had the console-like software patterns DS did. Anyone have those figures handy?
GBA didn't had a rival. PSP competed vs the most succesful handheld ever, the DS with more than 150 million units sold.

Being the first portable from Sony, I would say it's a success in the HW side. If they failed, it has been in SW sales fighting the piracy.

They had some mistakes with PSP that has been fixed in Vita (optical media, no second analog, difficult and expensive development for console developers, no touchscreen, etc).

Y2Kev said:

This.

I can care less if Vita is more successful the 3DS. Sony has corrected everything I wanted corrected on the PSP.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
lunchwithyuzo said:
Software is where the PSP could of did better. Like I said 70 million was not bad at all for a non nintendo handheld. But piracy didnt do software sales any favors.

Kuran

Banned
So far they are doing a lot of things right. It will be hard for many to resist wanting this thing in a few days.

yurinka

lunchwithyuzo said:
GBA faced competition from Bandai, SNK and Nokia, it just buried them. DS actually faced fewer competitors technically.
PSP sold like 3 times more than all these devices combined. They weren't serious rivals.

Bad_Boy said:
Software is where the PSP could of did better. Like I said 70 million was not bad at all for a non nintendo handheld. But piracy didnt do software sales any favors.
Sure, and it probably hurt software more than it helped hardware. I just think the system would've sold less than 70m without such easy access to "free" games/movies/music/etc, there's some give and take there when looking back it's performance.

Piracy also helped push PlayStation, PS2, DS and Wii hardware greatly, though it didn't impact their software quite so fatally.

Top Bottom