• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony now doing beta tests for PS4 firmware

Ramza

Banned
Ugh. 0% percent trophy deletion... Wish there was full deletion... Someone played Fifa in my ps4 and got 1 trophy. Hello ocd smh.

I think 0% is reasonable. I'd be worried for my trophies if you could delete any of them. What if a jealous GF goes after my Demon's Souls platinum?!?!?!

RedAssedApe

Banned
I think 0% is reasonable. I'd be worried for my trophies if you could delete any of them. What if a jealous GF goes after my Demon's Souls platinum?!?!?!

seriously i'd be like that one youtube video where the dudes delete that kids destiny characters

Still no local media player... come on Sony, Xbox One has a media player.

X1 was designed as an all in one entertainment device, not a gaming console. It would be quite sad if it had no media player.

Not saying that Sony hasn't been slow in rolling out new features, but they have different priorities.

X1 was designed as an all in one entertainment device, not a gaming console. It would be quite sad if it had no media player.

Not saying that Sony hasn't been slow in rolling out new features, but they have different priorities.

Y'know what else has a media player? The PS3. Know what else? The Vita.

I haven't seen it pointed out here, but in the other thread it was said that Vita at the moment can't do remote play following the new firmware. I think that means one of three things A: There will be a new Vita firmware that allows it to do 60FPS, B: There will be a new Vita firmware that keeps the status quo, or C: As with some other Vita functionality recently, Sony is killing remote play on Vita. I hope for A, think B would be fine, but would hate C.

60fps share play?

How about they fix it first? My friend can join my game but I can't join his and we have the exact same speed on the exact same ISP, both wired.

Plus we're both waaaay faster than is recommended.

I haven't seen it pointed out here, but in the other thread it was said that Vita at the moment can't do remote play following the new firmware. I think that means one of three things A: There will be a new Vita firmware that allows it to do 60FPS, B: There will be a new Vita firmware that keeps the status quo, or C: As with some other Vita functionality recently, Sony is killing remote play on Vita. I hope for A, think B would be fine, but would hate C.
No way they do C

Hoping for A

There's no way they would kill remote play on Vita considering that they are basically selling it now as a PS4 accessory.

My guess is B but A would be nice.

besada

Banned
A couple of things users should note:

1. People involved with Sony's MVP program need to contact a moderator and be registered as such. If you want to keep it private, you can forgo a tag, but not registering with the moderation team. This is standard policy for people working for or with a company marketing team.

2. It's not GAF's place to shut down people breaking their NDAs, and if you, as a member of a program attempt to do so, or complain about the violation, we'll treat that as thread whining, which is a bannable offense.

Noobcraft

^there are tons of people with PlayStation MVP status based off of this thread alone, would it be better to make a thread about it? Also what other programs would fall under the category of needing to inform a mod?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
You need to update the vita firmware for 2.50 remote play to work.

Remote Play cannot be used with a PS Vita system running version 3.35. A system software update for the PS Vita (to be released later) is required.

B_dVoABUgAAJbbi.jpg

besada

Banned
^there are tons of people with PlayStation MVP status based off of this thread alone, would it be better to make a thread about it? Also what other programs would fall under the category of needing to inform a mod?
We may do a thread later, but this isn't a new policy. If you are working for or with the marketing division of a company, you need to let the moderation staff know. Sony has tied their preview program to that marketing initiative, unlike MS, who doesn't require NDAs or signups with an MVP program. If there is some other program we haven't noticed, feel free to send a PM to the moderation staff about it.

As for the folks who've identified themselves in this thread, they need to contact moderation staff.

Hydrargyrus

Suspend/Resume
Delete 0% trophies
60fps shareplay

Well, none of those would be something I would prioritize because I'm only interested in the suspend/resume but for only certain moments, but I'm not going to be the one who complains for these options.

Are good enough and I can see that is a huge improvement over what we have now, specially the Suspend/Resume option

Yeah, that was posted after I said that. So, now it's just A or B. Fine with B, but prefer A. I'm just not sure if Vita is capable of doing 60FPS remote play.
Why wouldn't it be? It has plenty of games that run at 60fps and remote play is just like streaming video. I don't see why it wouldn't. I'm more interested in seeing how this affects remote play on xperia devices.

USC-fan

Banned
We may do a thread later, but this isn't a new policy. If you are working for or with the marketing division of a company, you need to let the moderation staff know. Sony has tied their preview program to that marketing initiative, unlike MS, who doesn't require NDAs or signups with an MVP program. If there is some other program we haven't noticed, feel free to send a PM to the moderation staff about it.

As for the folks who've identified themselves in this thread, they need to contact moderation staff.
Just a heads up but ms does have the same program.

http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/becoming-an-mvp.aspx

0% trophy deletion doesn't really help with the amount of games that give you a trophy for basically turning on the game.

I want to be able to delete games I've at least played enough to realise I don't like.

Like Destiny.

Sinfamy

I'm a PlayStation MVP member, I get things all the time that have a clear NDA, yet somehow others post them on Reddit, 4Chan or here.
You're going to get banned from the program, there are some ways to trace it to the poster based on slight alterations.

No you're right. I'm so glad we finally have the ability at all. More burned that stupid FIFA will be forever stained on my list tho. Glad I still have my ps3 so I can hide it at least.

gruenel

No you're right. I'm so glad we finally have the ability at all. More burned that stupid FIFA will be forever stained on my list tho. Glad I still have my ps3 so I can hide it at least.
You know there's only one solution, buy the game and platinum it!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is DLNA the only major missing requested OS feature after suspend/resume?

This is my question too. I haven't been paying much attention to gaming news for the past year and a half. I really need ps4 to come with dlna so I can retire my ps3.

Is DLNA ever coming?

androvsky

This is my question too. I haven't been paying much attention to gaming news for the past year and a half. I really need ps4 to come with dlna so I can retire my ps3.

Is DLNA ever coming?
I gotta keep asking since it just seems odd to see people keep complaining about the lack of DLNA on a system that has essentially a DLNA app. Are you mainly interested in DLNA for music or videos?

Edit: since you haven't been following gaming news much, look into the Plex app. It's free if you use the PS4's browser, and there's a native app that requires a subscription while it's in beta. Main problem is there isn't music only playback yet on Playstations, but it should be coming to the app soon.

I feel like I'm turning into a Plex shill, but it's as if PS4 threads were filled with people asking where GTA V is and if we'll ever get it.

DietRob

Thanks for the reply. I've never used or heard of Plex. I use Playstation Media Server on my PS3. What I do is rip my bluray's to my main computer so I can store the physical media out of sight in the attic. With PMS I'm able to then use my ps3 to watch those movies with the added benefit of never having to switch disks and such.

Does the plex thing your talking about work like that. Seems kinda lame to have to go through the browser though.

androvsky

Thanks for the reply. I've never used or heard of Plex. I use Playstation Media Server on my PS3. What I do is rip my bluray's to my main computer so I can store the physical media out of sight in the attic. With PMS I'm able to then use my ps3 to watch those movies with the added benefit of never having to switch disks and such.

Does the plex thing your talking about work like that. Seems kinda lame to have to go through the browser though.

It's exactly how Plex works (and how I use it). There's a server you install on your main computer (which is free), and clients for various platforms. It's the same basic thing as DLNA, and the server even works with DLNA clients, but the interface is much better if you use Plex clients or the web browser version.

You don't have to go through the browser, it's just an option that happens to be free if you want to try it. The native app is in pretty good shape already, but it still has some buffering issues; sadly Plex is stuck using the codecs Sony gives them.

The Plex UI is pretty sweet, it does indexing like XBMC so if you use a Plex client it's like you're using Netflix, the server keeps track of what you've watched, shows cover art, and has video descriptions.

https://plex.tv/

I'll probably do an official thread once the PS4 app is out of beta (assuming I can put it on the gaming side) so that people realize it's a thing. If you're really interested, it's $5 a month while it's in beta, or free if you just want to try the browser (the browser client has issues on PS4, be warned).

Ugh. 0% percent trophy deletion... Wish there was full deletion... Someone played Fifa in my ps4 and got 1 trophy. Hello ocd smh.

I dunno about full deletion, but being able to go up to 10% would be nice for sure. So many games from 5 years ago that I rented, played for a bit, then returned and never gave a second thought. I'd love to get those cleared out so my PSNProfiles doesn't show thousands of "possible" trophies I haven't earned.

DietRob

It's exactly how Plex works (and how I use it). There's a server you install on your main computer (which is free), and clients for various platforms. It's the same basic thing as DLNA, and the server even works with DLNA clients, but the interface is much better if you use Plex clients or the web browser version.

You don't have to go through the browser, it's just an option that happens to be free if you want to try it. The native app is in pretty good shape already, but it still has some buffering issues; sadly Plex is stuck using the codecs Sony gives them.

The Plex UI is pretty sweet, it does indexing like XBMC so if you use a Plex client it's like you're using Netflix, the server keeps track of what you've watched, shows cover art, and has video descriptions.

https://plex.tv/

I'll probably do an official thread once the PS4 app is out of beta (assuming I can put it on the gaming side) so that people realize it's a thing. If you're really interested, it's $5 a month while it's in beta, or free if you just want to try the browser (the browser client has issues on PS4, be warned).

Hmm.. well it sounds like it could work for my purposes. Once I get some time I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I asked the question in here.

Varth

Suspend/Resume
Delete 0% trophies
60fps shareplay

No external HD support? I'm really having a hard time right now juggling stuff. Almost 90% of review codes are PSN : \

I hope they add either a backup feature (WAAAAAY overdue) or external support that works with PSN games.

sono

This is good news, hopefully will help reduce any potential issues with full roll out.

Happy to wait for it to be right

Ramza

Banned
This is good news, hopefully will help reduce any potential issues with full roll out.

Happy to wait for it to be right

If suspend/resume is in it (which from the amount of leaks, it looks like it is), they probably want a smaller sample size to help against another rest-mode bug like 2.0 brought with it.

I gotta keep asking since it just seems odd to see people keep complaining about the lack of DLNA on a system that has essentially a DLNA app. Are you mainly interested in DLNA for music or videos?

Edit: since you haven't been following gaming news much, look into the Plex app. It's free if you use the PS4's browser, and there's a native app that requires a subscription while it's in beta. Main problem is there isn't music only playback yet on Playstations, but it should be coming to the app soon.

I feel like I'm turning into a Plex shill, but it's as if PS4 threads were filled with people asking where GTA V is and if we'll ever get it.

I think some people (like myself) want to be able to stream music while playing games. This was such an easy thing to do on the xbox 360 and I was spoiled by it. Can you do that with Plex?

Pillville

Here's how they should rework it:

Give users the ability to Hide/Unhide trophies. (Not permanently delete)

If a trophy is hidden:
  • It is shown as un-earned.
  • If all trophies from a game are hidden/un-earned, that game is removed from your list as if you had never played it.
  • That trophy is removed from your trophy count and if that drops you to a lower level, then you drop.
  • Screen to show all Hidden Trophies so you can Unhide some if wanted.
  • If you Unhide a trophy, it gets readded to list, count, and level.
  • If you re-earn that trophy in game, the game just ignores it since the trophy does exist for you already, it's just hidden.

Here's how they should rework it:

Give users the ability to Hide/Unhide trophies. (Not permanently delete)

If a trophy is hidden:
  • It is shown as un-earned.
  • If all trophies from a game are hidden/un-earned, that game is removed from your list as if you had never played it.
  • That trophy is removed from your trophy count and if that drops you to a lower level, then you drop.
  • Screen to show all Hidden Trophies so you can Unhide some if wanted.
  • If you Unhide a trophy, it gets readded to list, count, and level.
  • If you re-earn that trophy in game, the game just ignores it since the trophy does exist for you already, it's just hidden.

I imagine the ability to at least hide games is coming. The feature exists on ps3 and I believe Vita was well.

androvsky

I think some people (like myself) want to be able to stream music while playing games. This was such an easy thing to do on the xbox 360 and I was spoiled by it. Can you do that with Plex?

Not yet. I don't know if they'll be able to add background music playback or not, I've requested it in their tester forums. They don't have music playback at all yet, but they're supposed to be adding it soon. They're definitely waiting on Sony for a bunch of stuff since they can't use the codecs from the PC version (presumably due to licensing problems).

I'd like to say it's waiting on the firmware update so you can choose which app supplies the background music for the quick-access controls (which is currently MU-only), but I don't actually know.

Top Bottom