• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 4 has shipped 86.1 million worldwide

Shin

Banned
20181030_012736.jpg

Sony shared its Q2 FY2018 Consolidated Financial Results today where we got a look at the latest update in PlayStation 4 hardware shipments which have now reached 86.1 million worldwide as of September 30, 2018.

Credit and full article: Siliconera.com

On 3G mobile so couldn't do a proper job.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
It’s insane and utter believable how Sony just keeps selling compared to Microsoft and even Nintendo.

A big congratulations from here and all the way down to the bank.

TBiddy

Absolutely insane. Congratulations to Sony. Who would've thought, that making a splendid console with great games and no bullshit would be a great idea? Lets hope Microsoft learns from this.

The Shepard

I've always thought that the ps2 console sale numbers were inflated by the disk read error problems they had, my house hold had 5 of them and all my mates had at least 2 of them because of the problem, everyone ended up with the sexy slim model. The same thing could be said about the original xbox 360 and the rrod which inflated its numbers.

I've never known anyone with a broken ps4 (not saying they don't exist), there just noisy buggers if you don't clean them, so these numbers are all the more impressive. With a couple of years of high to moderate sales left it could get very close to the ps2 numbers towards the end of its life.

Toe-Knee

I've always thought that the ps2 console sale numbers were inflated by the disk read error problems they had, my house hold had 5 of them and all my mates had at least 2 of them because of the problem, everyone ended up with the sexy slim model. The same thing could be said about the original xbox 360 and the rrod which inflated its numbers.

I've never known anyone with a broken ps4 (not saying they don't exist), there just noisy buggers if you don't clean them, so these numbers are all the more impressive. With a couple of years of high to moderate sales left it could get very close to the ps2 numbers towards the end of its life.
One of my friends had two at launch.

One with the blue light issue day one and another kept spitting disks out and Sony couldn't repair it so replaced it

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Still won't make it to PS2 numbers (despite what a certain poster would have you believe). But surpassing the original Playstation (that was very much a hit) is definitely possible.

I think that on average their ASP and most importantly their profit margins on PS4 and PS4 Pro were higher (considering the relative lack of big price drops over time and the investment in new process to release PS4 Pro at a higher price rather than spending money trying to rush base PS4 cost reduction... think PS and PS2 business models and how hard they pushed for new manufacturing processes and new iterations of the system chips and motherboard... invest to cost reduce...).

Selling at the volumes even remotely comparable to PS1 and PS2 at a higher profit margin (overall, averaging cost and price of units of the years) is a loooooot better for them (considering the super high software sales too) than beating PS2 sales... although getting there too would be nice... but look at PS4 and PS4 Pro price and then PS2 at this point in time...

Iaterain

Absolutely insane. Congratulations to Sony. Who would've thought, that making a splendid console with great games and no bullshit would be a great idea? Lets hope Microsoft learns from this.
The paid online service is bullshit though.

onQ123

Still won't make it to PS2 numbers (despite what a certain poster would have you believe). But surpassing the original Playstation (that was very much a hit) is definitely possible.

The hell? What is the point of saying that PS4 passing PS1 is possible as if there is a chance that it won't? The only way PS4 isn't passing PS1 is if they stop production of PS4 now or after Christmas.

In fact there is nothing that's showing you that PS4 won't make it to PS2 levels , PS4 will be over 100 million at this time next year & at the rate they are selling they will move around 30 million every 2 years so that's at least 130 million PS4 units sold by 2022 if there isn't a complete drop off of PS4 shipments in the next 3 years.

TLZ

Banned
Other way around, they already surpassed PS3 and catching up to 360 quickly.
The PS3 surpassed 360's sales though.

Regardless, they're quite similar I think. 1 or 2 million isn't that much different. Even 10, imo.

Last edited:

nowhat

In fact there is nothing that's showing you that PS4 won't make it to PS2 levels , PS4 will be over 100 million at this time next year & at the rate they are selling they will move around 30 million every 2 years so that's at least 130 million PS4 units sold by 2022 if there isn't a complete drop off of PS4 shipments in the next 3 years.
...other than PS2 selling 158M (according to Wikipedia)? That's nearly double what PS4 has sold so far. And given that very likely PS5 will support PS4 games too, it's very doubtful PS4 will continue to sell as well after PS5 is released, compared to PS2/PS3.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

The hell? What is the point of saying that PS4 passing PS1 is possible as if there is a chance that it won't? The only way PS4 isn't passing PS1 is if they stop production of PS4 now or after Christmas.

30M every two years is already a steep drop since PS4 has already moved over 12M consoles this year without the large Q3 (Xmas period) which last year pushed close to 10M units.

Mozza

The console is doing an awesome job,although I do think it's at Microsoft's expense as they have messed up this generation big time.

Iaterain

Is it? Why? Besides the price, of course.
Because they have taken the online modes of the games hostage in order to boost sales of their service.
They are just forcing people to pay for something that they don't need in order to unlock online mode of the game that they bought.
The service should be sold separately from online modes othewise it is a scam and pure manipulation.

onQ123

...other than PS2 selling 158M (according to Wikipedia)? That's nearly double what PS4 has sold so far. And given that very likely PS5 will support PS4 games too, it's very doubtful PS4 will continue to sell as well after PS5 is released, compared to PS2/PS3.

Short sighted you are lol.

When PS5/Xbox Next come out PS4 will be above where PS2 was when PS3 & Xbox 360 came out & thanks to PSN Sony have a bigger reason to continue to sell PS4 than they had for selling PS2 after the successors is released.

After Christmas PS4 will be close to 100 million now add 2 more years of them selling around 17 million a year & that's ~130 million March 2021.

The only thing that could stop PS4 from reaching PS2 levels is if PS5 or Xbox Next is cheap & BC making it pointless for someone to buy a PS4 after 2019.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Great numbers, this holiday should be gargantuan....Sony better keep increasing sales forecasts because PS4 is coming for PS2 numbers....By mid 2020, PS4 should be in the 140-150 range.....

Other way around, they already surpassed PS3 and catching up to 360 quickly.
He at least said according to VG Chartz, where are you getting your numbers from, even Wikipedia has 360 locked 84 and PS3 greater than >83.8, which means it has surpassed 360 for a minute.....I mean, 360 was dwindling soon after they came out with Kinect and were not producing great AAA games anymore.....Also, why would anyone going for a last gen console not buy the one with the better first party games (as has been seen this gen), which were still coming fast and furious in 2013 on the PS3, of course, it was also the only console last gen that could play your blurays....I think customers are more value oriented than we think, besides, PS3 was always outselling 360 worldwide. It just got much better after the Kinect phase...

onQ123

Great numbers, this holiday should be gargantuan....Sony better keep increasing sales forecasts because PS4 is coming for PS2 numbers....By mid 2020, PS4 should be in the 140-150 range.....

He at least said according to VG Chartz, where are you getting your numbers from, even Wikipedia has 360 locked 84 and PS3 greater than >83.8, which means it has surpassed 360 for a minute.....I mean, 360 was dwindling soon after they came out with Kinect and were not producing great AAA games anymore.....Also, why would anyone going for a last gen console not buy the one with the better first party games (as has been seen this gen), which were still coming fast and furious in 2013 on the PS3, of course, it was also the only console last gen that could play your blurays....I think customers are more value oriented than we think, besides, PS3 was always outselling 360 worldwide. It just got much better after the Kinect phase...

Xbox 360 biggest shipments happened after Kinect was released.

thelastword

Banned
Xbox 360 biggest shipments happened after Kinect was released.
Kinect launched close to the holidays and it was also bundled, it was given away on Oprah's Show, Jimmy Fallon etc...It had a huge Beverly Hills party where it was given away and of course the Burger King promo everyone remembers, where you got a kinect bundle every few minutes.....The marketing was huge. about $500 million, but PS3 still outsold 360 worlwide.

Still, I said things got even better for PS3 after the kinect launch, because AAA games had the upper hand over Kinect by far worlwide...

This was a report just over a year after Kinect...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...360-sales-down-nearly-50-percent-year-on-year

Last edited by a moderator:

onQ123

The console is doing an awesome job,although I do think it's at Microsoft's expense as they have messed up this generation big time.

How is it at Microsoft's expense? PlayStation consoles selling a lot is a natural occurrence

This is the Norm for PlayStation home consoles not the exception.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
shipped doesnt really matter though. sold through is more important.

Eh they are pretty close. You can just ship goods to stores. The stores have to order it and hence they have to be selling a lot of ps4s to hkeep ordering them.

Last edited:

onQ123

Kinect launched close to the holidays and it was also bundled, it was given away on Oprah's Show, Jimmy Fallon etc...It had a huge Beverly Hills party where it was given away and of course the Burger King promo everyone remembers, where you got a kinect bundle every few minutes.....The marketing was huge. about $500 million, but PS3 still outsold 360 worlwide.

Still, I said things got even better for PS3 after PS3 launch, because AAA games had the upper hand over Kinect by far worlwide...

This was a report just over a year after Kinect...
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...360-sales-down-nearly-50-percent-year-on-year

Kinect was released at the end of 2010 & Xbox One & PS4 was released at the end of 2013 it was time for Xbox 360 sells to die off it was 5 years after release but it was selling better than it ever sold for that small moment before the new consoles came out.

onQ123

Speaking of Kinect isn't it funny that we are looking at PlayStation Move controllers in the OP 8 years later while Kinect is out of the picture? lol

AlexxKidd

PlayStation sells regardless. The worst selling PlayStation sold just as much as the best selling Xbox.

MDSLKTR

Ps4 is on a league on its own and has nothing to do with MS fuck ups, and that's just talking in America only.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
As somebody who doesn't play western games... (outside RDR)

I'm sad AF I helped Sony for the last 20 years by buying their electronics. This generation alone I bought 3 Ps4s. (2 as gifts) They got cocky and now they are censoring Japanese games for no other reason than to be bullies to niche companies. I don't see the Ps5 selling as much next gen not after all the fallout with their Japanese fans and Sony deleting their tweets/forum posts. Its the Ps3 era attitude all over again. If I didn't have all my Sega games on my Pro I'd sold it by now.

Vawn

Banned
Everyone seems to blame the lopsided sales comparison on Xbox One's launch. While that was laughably bad, I find the later years more of an issue.

People buy game consoles for games and Xbox One has really been anemic in games that you can't play on PS4, while PS4 just seems to release critical hit after critical hit.

onQ123

As somebody who doesn't play western games... (outside RDR)

I'm sad AF I helped Sony for the last 20 years by buying their electronics. This generation alone I bought 3 Ps4s. (2 as gifts) They got cocky and now they are censoring Japanese games for no other reason than to be bullies to niche companies. I don't see the Ps5 selling as much next gen not after all the fallout with their Japanese fans and Sony deleting their tweets/forum posts. Its the Ps3 era attitude all over again. If I didn't have all my Sega games on my Pro I'd sold it by now.

2015%2F05%2F11%2Fee%2FDerrickRose.4f62f.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Read up on Sony's new policy on Japanese only titles and censorship. Or don't.

Top Bottom