• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 4 has shipped 86.1 million worldwide

Toe-Knee

So osiris posted some slides over on era but it got closed fast.

Not sure if it's the same person or not as the name differed slightly

Pretty much what's expected. Maybe a little less. The inclusion of VR included is obviously taking away from power budget for price point. Similar mistake that MS made this gen. I expect MS console to be about 2-3 TF higher, similar to Pro vs Scorpio.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What was in the slides

Edit: nevermind found a video of the slides

Gotta say..........I don't hate ERA like some here on his forum do, but I'm disappointed that he didn't lace us with this cocaine information first lol. I'm sniffing this leak off my desk right now and it feels good. I'll give my thoughts on it later. It's a long video.

onQ123

The 3640 SPs would be a red flag but I also remember something about AMD moving away from 64 SPs per CU so if this is real the layout would be something like 140 SPs per CU with 26 CUs or 70 SPs per CU with 52 CUs

mckmas8808

The 3640 SPs would be a red flag but I also remember something about AMD moving away from 64 SPs per CU so if this is real the layout would be something like 140 SPs per CU with 26 CUs or 70 SPs per CU with 52 CUs

Is there a reason why we haven't created a new thread with this new information about the PS5? Like GAF what are we doing?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Initial gut-reaction is that its fake. Too much detail in certain areas, too little in others.

Who precisely were these slides intended for? By which I mean there's a lot of emphasis on technical minutia, but basic stuff like what differentiates a Dual-Shock5 from a Dual-Shock4 is conspicuous by its absence. I mean its all very well talking about VR headsets but what about input? Detailing stuff like ICE-team support is only relevant to devs, but most of the rest is mainly basic marketing bumf about release dates and stuff.

Dunno, could be wrong but it seems like a well thought through fake, based on reasonable tech speculation and fanboy wish-fulfillment, that falls down because the way its packaged as a whole seems unconvincing to me in a business sense.

demigod

Gotta say..........I don't hate ERA like some here on his forum do, but I'm disappointed that he didn't lace us with this cocaine information first lol. I'm sniffing this leak off my desk right now and it feels good. I'll give my thoughts on it later. It's a long video.

I'm disappointed, we were cockteased and then ERA gets the info instead. Wonder what happened with him and the mods.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
WZJdMtI.jpg

PS+ (free) game.

So that would explain the bump, for those who were curious to try it and passed up the purchase of it originally.

I've always been tempted to try it but the general perception I've seen is that's it's not very good. Great ideas but apparently they didn't have enough time or money to really make the world work? I liked Mafia II so maybe I'll give it a go.

mckmas8808

I've always been tempted to try it but the general perception I've seen is that's it's not very good. Great ideas but apparently they didn't have enough time or money to really make the world work? I liked Mafia II so maybe I'll give it a go.

I heard the story is amazing, but the gameplay is not great and once you do a thing, it gets repeated like 20 more times and can get a little boring.

Microsoft will never give us equivalent numbers of consoles sold + units of games sold.

My estimate for them: 40 million consoles and 400 million games sold.

Toe-Knee

It's great if you mainline the story.

It would have been amazing as a linear game with tweaked ai.

The open world is what drags it down

Baqt

Neo Member
It's 106M now, what do you think ? PS4 has a chance of reaching mamooth PS2 numbers ? maybe with the help of a price cuts and 599$ PS5 vs 199$ PS4 ?

thelastword

Banned
It's 106M now, what do you think ? PS4 has a chance of reaching mamooth PS2 numbers ? maybe with the help of a price cuts and 599$ PS5 vs 199$ PS4 ?
Well yes, I called it......I said that PS4 will reach or surpass PS2 numbers, we had lots of people saying "that is impossible though", but that's the tale of the plot....

PS4 has 4 mammoth games coming out this year, with many other high tier games......PS4 Slim is still officially priced at $299, there's $249, 199, 149 to go.....It goes without saying, that we will get an official pricedrop this year before the PS5 drops.......With all these games coming and a looming price drop and a potential $149 Slim for Holiday 2020, PS4 is going to push record numbers this year.....

i dont expect that they will sell more PS 4. I guess many people like my friend are just waiting for PS 5 now.
That friend of yours already own a PS4. The target is all the people who are the direct opposite of first adapters. People who like to buy hardware at their absolute cheapest and with cheap games. These people might not spend much, but overall it increases cultural relevance and brand familiarity. Someone who might pick up a $199 PS4 superslim could one day become an early adopter of a next gen PS hardware. And his nephews and nieces would play with the machine and dream of a Playstation of their own.

The low cost market is not to be underestimated. PS2 only managed to get to where it is by multiple hardware revisions and price drops.

That friend of yours already own a PS4. The target is all the people who are the direct opposite of first adapters. People who like to buy hardware at their absolute cheapest and with cheap games. These people might not spend much, but overall it increases cultural relevance and brand familiarity. Someone who might pick up a $199 PS4 superslim could one day become an early adopter of a next gen PS hardware. And his nephews and nieces would play with the machine and dream of a Playstation of their own.

The low cost market is not to be underestimated. PS2 only managed to get to where it is by multiple hardware revisions and price drops.
The PS2 outsold the 360 and PS3 for almost two years (not sure the exact number, but that was surprisingly long for the new consoles to outpace it).

Baqt

Neo Member
120M with this year, around 135M with the next if they drop it to 199$ lets say and 145 with 2022, 152-153 at end of 2023 and 158 at 2024 and 2 more years with 2-3M will get it to little over 160M with pricecut to 99$ in lets say 2023.
Of course all of this with PS5 being on the market for at least 499$ at launch or maybe even 599$ (as the rumors are in this range) to make enough difference for a low entry PS4 and high end PS5 offer

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
120M with this year, around 135M with the next if they drop it to 199$ lets say and 145 with 2022, 152-153 at end of 2023 and 158 at 2024 and 2 more years with 2-3M will get it to little over 160M with pricecut to 99$ in lets say 2023.
Of course all of this with PS5 being on the market for at least 499$ at launch or maybe even 599$ (as the rumors are in this range) to make enough difference for a low entry PS4 and high end PS5 offer

No. It will get nowhere near 155 million of PS2. Still damn impressive sales again for PS.

Baqt

Neo Member
Yes, you are probably right. This was the best prediction I could make. It can also finish at 130 or 140M lifetime.

That makes no sense, the price of PS5 would have no relevance to the sales of PS4 superslim. If you haven't bought a PS4 by now, you certainly wouldn't be buying a PS5 this year.

People who buy superslims, are not the kind of people who buy premium priced top of the line hardware. That is the reason the superslim exists. it is a separate market that haven't yet been tapped except in occational Black Friday $199 bundles.

No. It will get nowhere near 155 million of PS2. Still damn impressive sales again for PS.

Even more impressive when you consider where Sony were at the end of the PS3's life. How the media said they were doomed, how leakers and analysts said 4GB was impossible and generally all of the doom and gloom surrounding Sony.

Things looked bad when they sold their assets and buildings. Then they dropped the mic with; 8GB RAM, used games, no always online DRM and £349

ethomaz

Banned
No because Sony will PS4 to PS5 upgrades pretty hard.
PS4 won’t be like PS2 that keep selling more than 360 and PS3 between 2005 and 2007.

PS2 sold over 50m after 2005 (360 launch).

Last edited:

Baqt

Neo Member
That makes no sense, the price of PS5 would have no relevance to the sales of PS4 superslim. If you haven't bought a PS4 by now, you certainly wouldn't be buying a PS5 this year.

People who buy superslims, are not the kind of people who buy premium priced top of the line hardware. That is the reason the superslim exists. it is a separate market that haven't yet been tapped except in occational Black Friday $199 bundles.
It has to do with that that if someone went to the store and dont have either PS4 or PS5 and want to buy something and see 399$ next gen vs 299$ PS4 will most probably buy the PS5, But when he sees 199$ PS4 next to 599$ or 499$ PS5 and he is not so hardcore gamer he will most probably buy PS4 for 199$. This was the main reason PS3 sold so little after PS4 launched - 7M.
As opposite PS1 and PS2 (where you had enough price difference between next gen and old gen) they sold a lot more than this, around 20M+ for PS1 and 40-50M for PS2.

Baqt

Neo Member
The only way the PS4 reached it is if it drops to $99 and then drops below that in 2022.
No, 199$ drop this year and 99$ in 2022 or 2023 is enough. Also PS5 needs to be at least 499$ for enough difference, and Sony to continue market it and do good bundles with free games as it did with the PS2 after 2005/2006.
Both of these drops can be followed by 50$ drop for november and december every year until the 199$ is on, and by 20$ in november and december months each of the years, after they make the permanent drop to 99$. This would help too.

I predicted 120m at the start of the gen, upped it to 125m last year, but I think it could well do 130m in the end with decent discounts.

It's insane how well it's sold quite honestly. Totally deserved of course, but stull, super inpressive.

mckmas8808

N it's not unless you have been completely ignoring sales trends. It's not going to sell 40 million in the next few years at it's current rate.

It would sell 150 million units if the price dropped to $99 in 2 years. But let's be honest. NO WAY it'll drop below $199 in its lifetime.

It would sell 150 million units if the price dropped to $99 in 2 years. But let's be honest. NO WAY it'll drop below $199 in its lifetime.

Not with current trends and fatigue. The PS4 and Xbox One both have been too high for too long and never reached mass market prices. By the time they do the new consoles will be out and that's where both will be out of favor. This actually makes Microsofts cross-gen plan make a lot more sense.

If PS4 were to pass the PS3 it would have been $199 by holiday 2018, instead they kept the price high even after dropping the price of the PRO by $50, wtf? But after losing all that PS3 money I guess they want to build as much of a war chest as possible.

Baqt

Neo Member
Not with current trends and fatigue. The PS4 and Xbox One both have been too high for too long and never reached mass market prices. By the time they do the new consoles will be out and that's where both will be out of favor. This actually makes Microsofts cross-gen plan make a lot more sense.

If PS4 were to pass the PS3 it would have been $199 by holiday 2018, instead they kept the price high even after dropping the price of the PRO by $50, wtf? But after losing all that PS3 money I guess they want to build as much of a war chest as possible.
I can see your point. And you may be right. I am just doubting it. We will see.The last good moment for price drop is this year. If they don't do it probably won't in the future as well.

Last edited:

Kdad

Maybe I'm an outlier...I buy the new console day one...I also buy the discounted old one as a back up/display box incase the original craps the bed.....I have many duplicate consoles lol

I
Maybe I'm an outlier...I buy the new console day one...I also buy the discounted old one as a back up/display box incase the original craps the bed.....I have many duplicate consoles lol
If you buy both, it still doesn't matter how much ps5 is. So I am still not wrong.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m still surprised that current gen consoles didn’t hit mass-market ghetto gamer prices already.

I’d prefer if they milked these generations for another two years before moving forward but last gen’s duration was different from the norm.

Top Bottom