• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PlayStation 4 has shipped 86.1 million worldwide

demigod

The controller has nothing to do with sales, i find it funny this point has been brought up more then once.

BTW im one of those buyers your talking about. Fact is Sony needs to evolve their controller, this seems to be a pattern with them. Instead of coming out with proper controllers for VR they stick you with 2010 tech made for the PS3. BTW i own a PSVR aswel.

Evolve their controller? The DS is perfect, no need to evolve it. Plus they made changes from DS3 to DS4. Now with triggers and touchpad. Did MS evolve the xbox one's controller? Nope, its the same crap as the 360. So why exactly do they need to evolve(which they have) yet their competitor stayed the same?

Uh they did. This gen. And it blows the Xbox asymmetric crap out of the water.

I have owned both consoles for many years, i have been playing on the PS controller since 9-9-95 (before they added the horribley positioned anologs), simply adding a touchpad and spreading out the anolog sticks is not a new design over PS3, it's a slightly modified one. Fact is the DS4 is a 2D controller living in a 3D world, plain and simple. I have yet to see a professional review which picked the DS4 over the Xbox controller. As i said before, there is a reason why Nintendo went with MS's controller design over Sony's for their Switch Pro controller, they know which one felt more comfortable in their hands.

I realize I'm in a (somewhat) fanboy thread here and no matter what i say is not gonna change your bias, so I'll leave it there.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I have owned both consoles for many years, i have been playing on the PS controller since 9-9-95 (before they added the horribley positioned anologs), simply adding a touchpad and spreading out the anolog sticks is not a new design over PS3, it's a slightly modified one. Fact is the DS4 is a 2D controller living in a 3D world, plain and simple. I have yet to see a professional review which picked the DS4 over the Xbox controller. As i said before, there is a reason why Nintendo went with MS's controller design over Sony's for their Switch Pro controller, they know which one felt more comfortable in their hands.

I realize I'm in a (somewhat) fanboy thread here and no matter what i say is not gonna change your bias, so I'll leave it there.

People get used to what they get used to.
It doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that.

Evolve their controller? The DS is perfect, no need to evolve it. Plus they made changes from DS3 to DS4. Now with triggers and touchpad. Did MS evolve the xbox one's controller? Nope, its the same crap as the 360. So why exactly do they need to evolve(which they have) yet their competitor stayed the same?
If it was perfect and most popular, the DS4 would have overtaken asymmetrical controllers in the PC space. It hasn't and still represents less than half of asymmetrical controller use.

demigod

As i said before, there is a reason why Nintendo went with MS's controller design over Sony's for their Switch Pro controller, they know which one felt more comfortable in their hands.

So good that their wii and wii u pro controllers were symmetrical eh? Nintendo didn’t copy MS, look up the GC controller.

If it was perfect and most popular, the DS4 would have overtaken asymmetrical controllers in the PC space. It hasn't and still represents less than half of asymmetrical controller use.

Lol @ you if you think thats the reason why. 360/xbox one is plug and play with PC, much easier than fiddling with ds4windows.

Last edited:
So good that their wii and wii u pro controllers were symmetrical eh? Nintendo didn’t copy MS, look up the GC controller.

Lol @ you if you think thats the reason why. 360/xbox one is plug and play with PC, much easier than fiddling with ds4windows.
If it was so much better, players would take the less than a couple minutes it takes to download and install the drivers. So tough and technical. Lol.

Stuart360

I swear you're getting just as bad as TheLastWord with your fanboyism. Xbox controllers are simply better, most unbiased people agree. I'm a PC gamer with no bias towards either console and the 360 pad is the best gamepad i have ever used, its just so comfortable to use. The Playstation pad is too small for me, and the stick layout sucks.

demigod

I swear you're getting just as bad as TheLastWord with your fanboyism. Xbox controllers are simply better, most unbiased people agree. I'm a PC gamer with no bias towards either console and the 360 pad is the best gamepad i have ever used, its just so comfortable to use. The Playstation pad is too small for me, and the stick layout sucks.

Thats your opinion, don’t try to call me a fanboy when the DS4 is better for me.

Thats your opinion, don’t try to call me a fanboy when the DS4 is better for me.
You mean to tell me that numbers and percentages don't equate a superior product and it basically boils down to what you feel is best to you?

I'll keep that in mind. ;)

Stuart360

Exactly its your opinion, so dont act like your opinion is fact, because it most certainly isn't in most unbiased peoples minds when it comes to which is the best controller.

demigod

If it was so much better, players would take the less than a couple minutes it takes to download and install the drivers. So tough and technical. Lol.

I can tell you’ve never downloaded the ds4windows, lol.

Exactly its your opinion, so dont act like your opinion is fact, because it most certainly isn't in most unbiased peoples minds when it comes to which is the best controller.

Quote me where i said its the best? Quote me where i said you all should get the ds4 over xbox controller.

Stuart360

I can tell you’ve never downloaded the ds4windows, lol.

Quote me where i said its the best? Quote me where i said you all should get the ds4 over xbox controller.
From your post at the top of this page -

The DS is perfect, no need to evolve it.
Did MS evolve the xbox one's controller? Nope, its the same crap as the 360

demigod

From your post at the top of this page -

The DS is perfect, no need to evolve it.
Did MS evolve the xbox one's controller? Nope, its the same crap as the 360

And thats a fact, it evolved whether you like it or not. The xbox one controller stayed the same. Im still waiting on the quote where you’re implying that i said the ds4 is the best for everyone.

SonGoku

No, for it to be perfect it needs a right touchpad/trackball for shooters and at least 30 hour battery life

Stuart360

And thats a fact, it evolved whether you like it or not. The xbox one controller stayed the same. Im still waiting on the quote where you’re implying that i said the ds4 is the best for everyone.
Where did i say you said that?, i said its your opinion but an opinion not matched by most unbiased people. Which is fact

bitbydeath

Xbox controllers are simply better, most unbiased people agree.

Come now, we know this statement isn't true nor can it be backed up.
Both have faults and in terms of stick placement then neither is better than the other as it depends on who is using it.

Stuart360

Come now, we know this statement isn't true nor can it be backed up.
Both have faults and in terms of stick placement then neither is better than the other as it depends on who is using it.
Nice avatar. If you read Steam forums, people by far prefer Xbox controllers, plus the numbers back it up.

Yeah, you're unbiased and your opinion is a fact. LOL.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Thanks, I like yours too.
I wouldn't call a few people on steam the definitive representation for best controller though.
Actually i'd say Steam users are the best representation as a ton of PC users dont have consoles, so they have no bias towards either controller, they just say it how it is for them.

bitbydeath

Actually i'd say Steam users are the best representation as a ton of PC users dont have consoles, so they have no bias towards either controller, they just say it how it is for them.

OK even if we were to humour that, lets say Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.
Does that make it the best movie ever or could people have watched it but preferred something else?

demigod

OK even if we were to humour that, lets say Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.
Does that make it the best movie ever or could people have watched it but preferred something else?

You should've asked him does it make ds4 controller the best since it outsold the xbox one controller.

Stuart360

Well i dont really know what Avatar has to do with this, and i dont know why my post needs to be humoured anyway. Surely unbiased opinions are just as worthy, if not more so, as biased opinions right?.
And going back to Avatar, its a film, you watch it for 3 hours. Controllers are something that you could potentially be using multiple hours a day and thousands of hours a year. A controller is something physical that you have to use in your hands, a film isnt. And like another poster said earlier, a simple driver download makes PS4 controllers usable on PC games with controller support, yet Xbox pads still outnumber them by 3 or 4 to 1.

TLZ

Banned
I'd argue it's worse than the 360 for me. The 360 and PS4 controllers are most comfortable for me, along with the GameCube controller.

What we need to look at is what these controllers were designed for in the first place? Sony's controller, designed in 1993, was disgned in an era when 2D games ruled all, it was designed for the times, it was designed around games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, 2D scrollers, ect.

When MS designed their controller, Seamus Blackley, the man who designed it, stated in an interview that it was specifically designed for (what they called at the time) 3D games, FPS's, ect. It was designed for the games we are playing today, this is what i mean when i say Sony never evolved their controller to the times. When 3D games came along Sony simply took the same old 2D design and slapped 2 sticks on it next to eachother.

An overwhelming majority of gamers prefer the Xbox controller for this reason. Is it a fact that the Xbox controller is better? NO, and Yes, it's subjective, but some people also prefer eatting Broccoli over Pizza aswel. 👍

Last edited:

demigod

What we need to look at is what these controllers were designed for in the first place? Sony's controller, designed in 1993, was disgned in an era when 2D games ruled all, it was designed for the times, it was designed around games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, 2D scrollers, ect.

When MS designed their controller, Seamus Blackley, the man who designed it, stated in an interview that it was specifically designed for (what they called at the time) 3D games, FPS's, ect. It was designed for the games we are playing today, this is what i mean when i say Sony never evolved their controller to the times. When 3D games came along Sony simply took the same old 2D design and slapped 2 sticks on it next to eachother.

An overwhelming majority of gamers prefer the Xbox controller for this reason. Is it a fact that the Xbox controller is better? NO, and Yes, it's subjective, but some people also prefer eatting Broccoli over Pizza aswel. 👍

You wrote all that just to contradict yourself. Do you understand the word you even used, evolve? Symmetrical controller is fine. You don’t have to like it but there are others that do. No need to change it since 3D games work on it. If it aint broken, don’t fix it. There are alternatives. So how about explaining why nintendo went with symmetrical for the wii and wii u since you obviously thought they copied ms.

You wrote all that just to contradict yourself. Do you understand the word you even used, evolve? Symmetrical controller is fine. You don’t have to like it but there are others that do. No need to change it since 3D games work on it. If it aint broken, don’t fix it. There are alternatives. So how about explaining why nintendo went with symmetrical for the wii and wii u since you obviously thought they copied ms.

Where in the world did i contradict myself? 😂 I never mentioned Nintendo in that post, and if your referring to previous posts of mine, i was referring to their Pro controller for Switch, it's pretty much a cloned Xbox controller, they knew what felt best in their hands. And the Wii U controller looks nothing like the DS4, the anologs are on top (not bottom) where the natural position of your thumbs sit while holding it (and are also nicely placed), i have never had a problem with it.

BTW, after 3-4 hours on my DS4 my left thumb does feel broken! So yes, it's broke.

rəddəM

Ok so basically there's one major comfort/usability difference between the two: the left thumbstick position and that's just a question of getting used to it. I personally don't because I play on PS4, whenever I play on the asymmetrical XBox's controller I suffer.
Don't forget that the PS4 DS4 launched with a Li-ion BATTERY, BLUETOOTH, TOUCH PAD, SOUND SPEAKER, LIGHT and a 3.5mm headphone jack so I fail to see how it didn't evolve considering the Xbox One's launch fiasco.
And maybe there's less DualShock 4s on PC because there's 86.1 million of us who play primarily on PS4? That are mainly console players, busy with the TOP TIER EXCLUSIVES and when we switch to PC we play with KB&M?
☮️.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Weird that you have people here trying to force people to believe that the Xbox 360 controller is literally the best controller in history. Like, stop trying to shove your opinion down our throats! Some of us disagree and it's ALL subjective anyway.

Toe-Knee

Weird that you have people here trying to force people to believe that the Xbox 360 controller is literally the best controller in history. Like, stop trying to shove your opinion down our throats! Some of us disagree and it's ALL subjective anyway.
The only thing that's a fact about the 360 controller is the fact that the d-pad is abysmal. Everything else as you said is subjective.

MDSLKTR

The only thing that's a fact about the 360 controller is the fact that the d-pad is abysmal. Everything else as you said is subjective.
This only fact is already a cardinal sin by itself. Add dome shaped face buttons, inferior shoulder buttons (somehow excarbated with the xbone iteration), the clickiness that's tiring after long use etc. etc. It's why nobody uses them in FG tournaments.

Last edited:

Uh yes Nintendo did copy the MS controller. Look at their controllers before the recent ones where they had stick even both at the top of the controller.

The Gamecube Controller did not have two analog stick it has one analog stick and a digital c stick. The Gamecube controller was not made with the same control intentions as the Xbox controller. If they modled the recent controller after the gamecube controller the shape and design of the sticks, along with how they are places on the controller wouldn't be identical. Because the GC c stick was not where the right stick is on the Xbox controller.

Now with that said the DS4 is fine. I wish they slightly alter the shape just a teeennnnnyyyy bit though to be better in the hands for folks with bigger palms.

AlexxKidd

This only fact is already a cardinal sin by itself. Add dome shaped face buttons, inferior shoulder buttons (somehow excarbated with the xbone iteration), the clickiness that's tiring after long use etc. etc. It's why nobody uses them in FG tournaments.

NuckleDu, the only American to ever win a Street Fighter competition at Capcom Cup - currently the 11th ranked player in the world heading into this year's Capcom Cup - uses the DualShock 4. And this is in a fighting game, the games where controllers matter the most. Most of this other shit it barely matters, but in fighters you need your controller to be on point. When playing charge characters (which he does, Guile is his specialty), he often simultaneously uses the dpad for movement and the analog for charging. Tell NuckleDu the analog sticks are in the wrong place lol.
i

ngtdjpckqtyg5bptslpl.jpg

Top Bottom