• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

So

Quantic Dream and Sony Bend at PGW
Polyphoni and ? at PSX

? could be Sucker Punch, Santa Monica or even Naughty Dog with TLOU 2 teaser

So

Polyphoni and ? at PSX

I don't see why there would be a TLOU2 teaser. I'm sure Druckmann would want to lead that game, so my guess is the other team is working on a new IP and the U4 part of the team will work on TLOU2 afterwards.

yurinka

Lol, maybe a TLOU 2 teaser will be ready by PSX 2916. Even that I kinda doubt. :p
No, first they'll want to focus on finishing and marketing U4. I'd bet that in any case, they would show something about TLOU2 at E3 2917. But I still see it too early. They may save it for PS59.

I don't see why there would be a TLOU2 teaser. I'm sure Druckmann would want to lead that game, so my guess is the other team is working on a new IP and the U4 part of the team will work on TLOU2 afterwards.

Uncharted 4 isn't even out by that time, which i didn't consider
no it really wouldn't make sense.

I also believe Crash will return, and Activision will call it Crashlanders.

crash_skylander_by_acearchdragon-d6pu2o6.png

I really really really hope Naughty Dog's next game is not TLOU 2. I would actually be disappointed. Yes, TLOU was my GOTG last gen but I really want a ND space epic. Seriously. With their ability to create characters and the budget they would have and the Uncharted 4 engine they have created that could be used for outer space set pieces, oh man. Just imagine ND at the helm of something like your families space craft getting broken apart out in space and you are on it as it falls through the atmosphere of some unknown planet and is breaking apart all around you while you are fighting to get off the ship onto the lifepod or something of that nature.

I really want ND in space. REALLY REALLY want it

viHuGi

Banned
I really really really hope Naughty Dog's next game is not TLOU 2. I would actually be disappointed. Yes, TLOU was my GOTG last gen but I really want a ND space epic. Seriously. With their ability to create characters and the budget they would have and the Uncharted 4 engine they have created that could be used for outer space set pieces, oh man. Just imagine ND at the helm of something like your families space craft getting broken apart out in space and you are on it as it falls through the atmosphere of some unknown planet and is breaking apart all around you while you are fighting to get off the ship onto the lifepod or something of that nature.

I really want ND in space. REALLY REALLY want it

i´s clear they are working on a new IP but LoU 2 is a given.

velociraptor

When is the most likely time we're expecting to hear about new exclusives? Looking forward to see what PD and SSM are up to but seems like we may have to wait until E3 '16. :\

nothing big, but yoshida shared a few words about some older first Party games on the interview/panel from EGX 2015

about Wipeout

Twenty years since the original PlayStation launched in Japan, Sony’s game studio boss Shuhei Yoshida has said that there’s always the possibility it could revive iconic racing brand Wipeout.
“Never say never,” he said when asked if Wipeout would ever return. “There are many IPs that we kind of stopped iterating with new games. One of the reasons is we always love to work on new IP.”

“From my standpoint I try to balance the number of games in a franchise. In the future there might be a chance to come back to a game like Wipeout,” he said.

about Crash Bandicoot
Don’t hold your breath for a new Crash Bandicoot game though, as Yoshida said that would be a decision for Activision, which owns the IP, not Sony.

about Sony Bend
“Sony Bend exists. They are making some awesome cool game that we have not announced. I’m not allowed to say,” he added.

https://www.vg247.com/2015/09/26/a-new-wipeout-game-never-say-never-yoshida/

eFKac

I hope they don't go back to Wipeout, never particularly liked that series. Maybe a small downloadable project.

Pachimari

No GT Sport at Paris.

The owner of GTPlanet:

Damn man, GT7 needa to be PSX RIGHT ?????????

Wouldn't be surprised if it was revealed next year.

Damn...

This throws off all my predictions if true.

PGW hype greatly decelerating :'(

Same for me...

This is what I keep telling you all.

Gran Turismo 7 probably won't be announced until next year, with a release in 2017.

I hope they don't go back to Wipeout, never particularly liked that series. Maybe a small downloadable project.
They should just port WipEout HD+Fury from PS3 to PS4, done.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Considering that a new GoW is announced at PSX, what do you all expect from it? Seriously hoping it's a new mythology, but they need to keep Kratos. He's the face of the series, and the writers need to find a way to bring him back. The ending to 3 left a door open for a sequel with him.

i´s clear they are working on a new IP but LoU 2 is a given.

I highly doubt Neil and Bruce could work on Uncharted 4, TLOU 2 and a New IP at the same time. The next game is either TLOU 2 or the new IP but it isn't going to be both. Like Neil said they actually had ideas of a space game floating around ( along with another idea but forget what it was ) but they got pulled from that work to work on Uncharted 4. So the loss of Hennig definitely put some stuff on hold.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Think Uncharted 4 will be the last in the series? Amy is gone. Doubt they will move forward with another. I'd like them to work on a new IP down the line, even though they're a nightmare to get right and grab sales.

Shin-chan

I highly doubt Neil and Bruce could work on Uncharted 4, TLOU 2 and a New IP at the same time. The next game is either TLOU 2 or the new IP but it isn't going to be both. Like Neil said they actually had ideas of a space game floating around ( along with another idea but forget what it was ) but they got pulled from that work to work on Uncharted 4. So the loss of Hennig definitely put some stuff on hold.

Sure, not all the time but people like Druckman and Straley are constantly having new ideas and testing things out. I wouldn't be surprised if their next new IP is something they thought up during The Last of Us and has been incubated for several years before forming a fully fledged project. If anything giving them Uncharted 4 will have given them more time to think their next project through.

Toro

Banned
So

Sony Bend = SCEA
PGW = Europe
So Bend will either show their game at this years PSX or next years E3.

Polyphoni and ? at PSX
You mean Polyphony Digital?

Sucher Punch, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog = SCEA
PGW = SCEE/Europe

PGW is SCEE's time to shine. You won't really see much of SCEA there.
It's all about Quantic Dreams new game, WiLD, etc.

I need GT7 in my life. It feels like we are so close to a reveal yet so far. Its gotten to a point where the community is questioning what is real life and what is GT in every trailer PD puts out.

eFKac

Sony Bend = SCEA
PGW = Europe
So Bend will either show their game at this years PSX or next years E3.

You mean Polyphony Digital?

Sucher Punch, Santa Monica, Naughty Dog = SCEA
PGW = SCEE/Europe

PGW is SCEE's time to shine. You won't really see much of SCEA there.
It's all about Quantic Dreams new game, WiLD, etc.

So did I dream it that three biggest Sony reveals at this years E3 so a SCEA show were two SCEE games and a SCEJA game?

We have to keep expectations in check regarding the scope of the shows where E3 was always bigger than Gamescom in terms of high profile reveals. But it never was predominantly - E3 is SCEA, Gamescom is SCEE, so I wouldn't count Bend out, while I wouldn't be surprised if Quantic Dream's new game is debuted at next year's E3 if the aren't ready yet (like their last game was)

Toro

Banned
Flawless theory given Horizon's E3 reveal.
Or Killzone Shadow Fall at E3? Or Bloodborne at E3?

It is what it is right now. PGW will be SCEE's show. You won't see much SCEA there,
because there is PSX and next years E3.
So did I dream it that three biggest Sony reveals at this years E3 so a SCEA show were two SCEE games and a SCEJA game?
Or all the other big SCEA games at last years Gamescom.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Or Killzone Shadow Fall at E3? Or Bloodborne at E3?

It is was it is right now. PGW will be SCEE's show. You won't see much SCEA there,
because there is PSX and next years E3.
No idea what half those sentences are supposed to mean but this whole inconsistent hypothesis breaks down when one realizes that SCEWWS is no subordinate division of either SCEA, SCEE or SCEJA.

If you want to bet that Sony Bend's game won't be shown because who gives a fuck about PGW's press conference then fine, but don't try to invent some arbitrary rules.

Toro

Banned
No idea what half those sentences are supposed to mean but this whole inconsistent hypothesis breaks down when one realizes that SCEWWS is no subordinate division of either SCEA, SCEE or SCEJA.
That's true. It stil makes no sense to expect a new SSM/Naughty Dog/Sony Bend/Sucker Punch game at PGW.
Looks like Quantic Dream's next game will be SCEE's big thing at PGW, together with WiLD. After that, more indie titles and smaller-ish games. Simply don't expect new SCEA stuff there. Take a look at last years Gamescom conference and you know what to expect.
...., but don't try to invent some arbitrary rules.
Not really a rule. More like common sense for SCE's conference in europe this time (and last year).

That's true. It stil makes no sense to expect a new SSM/Naughty Dog/Sony Bend/Sucker Punch game at PGW.
Looks like Quantic Dream's next game will be SCEE's big thing at PGW, together with WiLD. After that, more indie titles and smaller-ish games. Simply don't expect new SCEA stuff there. Take a look at last years Gamescom conference and you know what to expect.

Not really a rule. More like common sense for SCE's conference in europe this time (and last year).
By that logic, we shouldn't expect Japanese or European games shown in US which is not the case. Even though SCEJ is working on Gran Turismo, it makes a lot more sense for that kind of game to be unveiled in US or even better, Europe.

viHuGi

Banned

They have more people to work on those games man, one leaves, other joins.

But who knows...

They announced The Tomorrow Children at Gamescom last year.

I kinda agree with you but kinda don't. I don't think their announcements have that much to do with where they're being developed, I think they depend on the audience they're trying to cater to. E3's the big event, so they save all their biggest announcements for that (Horizon, TLG, Dreams, etc.), whereas TGS, Gamescom/PGW and PSX are smaller, more regional events. So they'll announce Tomorrow Children, Puppeteer and Rain at Gamescom, even though they're Japanese developed, because they think those games have more appeal there than in the US or Japan. At PSX they announced Drawn to Death and Kill Strain, two online shooters that appeal to the American audience. And Everybody's Golf and Gravity Rush were announced at TGS because they cater more to the Japanese market.

So based on that, I wouldn't rule Bend's horror game out from appearing at PGW because horror games have tended to be more popular in Europe than in the US. The Silent Hill's sold best there (which is why SH3 came out in Europe first). And then there's also a few horror games that've come out in Europe but never made it to the US, like Sony's own Siren 2.

While I'm at it, I also wouldn't rule out one of those JRPGs appearing there, since JRPGs are probably more popular there (especially in France) than in the US these days. That's why Bandai Namco puts so much effort into promoting Tales at Japan Expo and PGW.

On a completely different subject, I hope Naughty Dog don't make a sci fi game just because a bunch of people have been complaining on the internet about wanting one. They should work on whatever the hell they want.

Top Bottom