• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Jigorath

Banned
If Crash comes it's because Boyes has heard the pleas of the proletariat and made the effort to get a deal done with Activision. Shu wouldn't know if it's a recent thing.

It's not happening. Sony couldn't even get permission to put a Crash reference in The Last of Us. Give it up already. Crash is dead forever.
Until Activision shoves him into a Skylanders game that is.

GnawtyDog

Banned
It's not happening. Sony couldn't even get permission to put a Crash reference in The Last of Us. Give it up already.

2nve36a.gif

Shu is starting his talk at EGX now, could be pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THoOapIs8oA

Edit: It's over. Was pretty funny and you should watch it when it's uploaded to EGX's youtube channel.

the q&a section feels like it came straight out of neogaf

ps classics?

If found it interesting that in his answer to PS Classics he talked more about the timing of announcements rather than saying it's not happening, heh.

Melchiah

i like platformers. but jak was far better then crash ever was. i'd take a new wipeout over both though.

Neither of the series was to my taste, which is why I didn't pay that much attention to ND's games before TLOU was announced. I had even skipped the Uncharted series before that, and played them after TLOU.

I trust King Verendus inside knowledge, but I highly doubt Rockstar(Lockstarter) would make an exclusive/time exclusive with Sony or Microsoft. It's really impossible, really!

With that being said........where's my Playstation All-Stars 2? I'm more hyped for that than Uncharted 4!

Loudninja

I trust King Verendus inside knowledge, but I highly doubt Rockstar(Lockstarter) would make an exclusive/time exclusive with Sony or Microsoft. It's really impossible, really!

With that being said........where's my Playstation All-Stars 2? I'm more hyped for that than Uncharted 4!
They already did with the PS3 they had a deal in place who knows where that sits now.

Shin-chan

How has Japan Studio developed over the years, in terms of expansion or restructuring?

I always think Sony should make more of an effort in Japan. I understand they work a lot with the third parties and are part of the reason that they have such great support even while the PS4 and Vita aren't doing great there, but their first party content for what was such a huge market is relatively meager.

I also understand that the studio has recently undergone changes and that it will take a while to see these manifest in games, announced or released. Gravity Rush 2 and TLG are looking impressive as a return to form. It's just strange that they have such great talent there but seemingly struggle to put out much compared to the European and North American studios.

If you think about it, they could have the most attractive proposition for a Japanese creator - where all other Japanese publishers are scaling back, SCE is actually expanding and investing more into console development. Between Japan Studio and Nintendo, I'm surprised we haven't seen any big name game developers move for the assurance of continued AAA game development.

I guess I mostly just find it odd that they never went out and made their own JRPG studio. Sure, it wouldn't reach DQ or FF success, but it would certainly have helped the PS3 and would be a good addition to their portfolio. Maybe they've done just that, if Verendus' 5 JRPGs are to be believed...

yurinka

So, any bets about which SCE games are they going to show at PWG?

I'd say Heavy Rain+Beyond Remastered, new QD game, Rime gameplay, Alienation gameplay, Horizon gameplay, 1 or 2 new PSVR games, PS4 3.0 FW, PS4 price cut, Uncharted collecion' Uncharted 4 MP beta gameplay.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

I'd say Heavy Rain+Beyond Remastered, new QD game, Rime gameplay, Alienation gameplay, Horizon gameplay, 1 or 2 new PSVR games, PS4 3.0 FW, PS4 price cut, Uncharted collecion' Uncharted 4 MP beta gameplay.
Sounds reasonable. Hopefully we'll see WiLD show up.

Throw in some new announcement both 1st and 3rd party and Shadow of the Beast and I think that's going to be it.

Zukkoyaki

Looks about right to me! I picture the finale of the event to be David Cage from QD taking the stage to announce the release dates for Heavy Rain and Beyond remastered before faking a walk-off. They then close with the debut trailer for their new game.

The biggest thing I could see being announced at PGW that would really generate buzz is the next Gran Turismo. Granted, Kaz doesn't have to be there, they could have a prerecorded interview/reveal.

I think the only previously announced SCE game they'll show during the conference itself is Dreams, as they still need to get everyone on board with their crazy, ambitious idea. Maybe Horizon too but I dunno, SCEE usually sticks with new announcements at their conferences, leaving all the previously announced games for the pre-show build up.

As for new announcements, I'm guessing Quantic Dream's new game, Sony Bend's horror game and 2-3 new smaller games.

I'm hoping we'll finally hear something about PS1/2 Classics support there too but I'm not holding my breath.

FelipeMGM

Dreams, WiLD, Shadow Of The Beast, No Man's Sky might be there, maybe the new Ovosonico PS4 game (prob too soon) and some new stuff as well from smaller/medium devs.

How has Japan Studio developed over the years, in terms of expansion or restructuring?

I always think Sony should make more of an effort in Japan. I understand they work a lot with the third parties and are part of the reason that they have such great support even while the PS4 and Vita aren't doing great there, but their first party content for what was such a huge market is relatively meager.

I also understand that the studio has recently undergone changes and that it will take a while to see these manifest in games, announced or released. Gravity Rush 2 and TLG are looking impressive as a return to form. It's just strange that they have such great talent there but seemingly struggle to put out much compared to the European and North American studios.

If you think about it, they could have the most attractive proposition for a Japanese creator - where all other Japanese publishers are scaling back, SCE is actually expanding and investing more into console development. Between Japan Studio and Nintendo, I'm surprised we haven't seen any big name game developers move for the assurance of continued AAA game development.

I guess I mostly just find it odd that they never went out and made their own JRPG studio. Sure, it wouldn't reach DQ or FF success, but it would certainly have helped the PS3 and would be a good addition to their portfolio. Maybe they've done just that, if Verendus' 5 JRPGs are to be believed...

it seems, since Becker is the new CEO, there is def. more structure + more targeted project practices in the studio.
He said himself that SCE japan was full of creative people, that were working on 30-40 projects at the same time, with slow progess and results

With TLG, GR2 and their AAA JRPG they have 3 big projects on their pipeline and then we also have the pupeteer team left or the knack team.
i hope they will deliver with their titles and i could see SCE japan become a new powerhouse within the worldwide studios.

The Euro PSblog is now celebrating the 20th anniversary of the PSone's release in Europe

XMdVjkY.jpg

That cake is amazing. Looks like it took tons of effort.

All those goddamn Crash teases..

I mean, at this point they have to mean something, right? Why would they keep referencing a character they don't even own if it didn't mean something?!

We will get a Classic Crash (1-3) HD Collection. New graphics and a few gameplayimprovements and of course Trophies.

I don't really have any interest in the mainline series, but I would buy the tits out of Crash Team Racing HD.

i mean if it was only about history, why is there no Spyro or other classic characters appearing in these teasers..... :O

That's the weird thing. I can appreciate Lara not being here due to her association with the Xbone now and Solid Snake was in Smash Bros. (the newest one?) so again I can see that perhaps that door is closed, but they still focus a oddly large amount on Crash. Where is Spyro like you say, or Cloud, or Parappa or even someone from Tekken? The specific focus on Crash has to mean something. It has to.

Percy

Banned
Not to sound like a broken record, but I'll never understand why some of you are so eager for another Crash Bandicoot game. By the time Activision ditched the series, there had been more shit games than good featuring the character, and there's no way in hell you'll ever see the makers of the good ones working on the series again. Don't let nostalgia blind you to what will happen if another ever gets made.
It'll disappoint. Almost certainly

silva1991

The Euro PSblog is now celebrating the 20th anniversary of the PSone's release in Europe

XMdVjkY.jpg

Oh dear lord, I forgot how ugly PS2 was.

so many memories. I remember asking my friemd back in 2002 or something why won't you buy a PS2? and he said it was a complicated console unlike ps1 lol.

Top Bottom